So Jordy dropped some passes; what's the upside?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Jordy dropped some easy passes during the SB, but we can all forgive him bc... well... WE WON!

What if he hadn't dropped those passes? What's the outcome? We still win the SB, and Aaron pads his stats a little.

The big... and I mean BIG upside to this is during contract renegotiations, TT will have legitimate reasons to sign Jordy at a much less price. If he hadn't dropped any... imagine how much his agent would demand...

So... Thank you Jordy for dropping those passes!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could have been a higher scoring game or a blow out if some passes hadn't been dropped.

But the thing is, Mike (And other coaches) let Jordy continue to play and Aaron threw the ball right back to him where he caught it following a play where he didn't catch it.

Jordy made TD and other catches during the reg. and post season which helped the Pack get to the SB. (And didn't he make a SB TD catch? I know he made a big yard gainer that helped.)
So give him credit.
It's not like he drops every single pass that comes his way. And the ones he does catch, he does very very well on.

And that goes for all the other receivers too.
They will work on these things.
They will be better prepared with keeping their nerves in check.
Have patience and faith. They will get better.
And every single athlete does make mistakes from time to time. It's just part of being human.
Basketball players miss the hoop. Baseball players strike out. Football players don't catch the ball every time.
Complaining and finding negative instead of positive things to say/write about is just human nature to do that. But it doesn't have to be any longer.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Everybody has drops every now and then.
The important part is to make up for it, and Jordy did just that.

How Rodgers keeps throwing to the receivers who dropped passes was a smart move in that game, as that is what you have to do, have faith and BELIEVE.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't the only one who dropped passes and he made more catches than he missed. Obviously those missed passes would be a whole lot more important if we lost the game, but I think a lot is forgiven when you win the Superbowl. I don't think many people were harassing Jordy on those missed passes while they were celebrating the win. I'm not saying it is something we should overlook, I think it's something that needs to be worked on, but the team is playing at such a high level they could afford those dropped passes and still win the SB. That is amazing in itself when you really look at it. Our teams greatness by far outshines their flaws.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true premise with the thread. For both him and Jones.

Jordy and Jones are too much for normal nickel and dime CBs. They ABUSE them consistantly.

If they had more reliable hands, they'd be starters in almost every team (heck, they'd be starters in most teams as it is).

They're young. If they can spent the offseason working this, we're gonna blow out every opponent.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack is back and they are going to be back stronger and better for the next few years, me thinks.

They are on such an upswing right now that I think they are on the express train of momentum and will keep on riding it for quite a while.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could have been a higher scoring game or a blow out if some passes hadn't been dropped.

But the thing is, Mike (And other coaches) let Jordy continue to play and Aaron threw the ball right back to him where he caught it following a play where he didn't catch it.

Jordy made TD and other catches during the reg. and post season which helped the Pack get to the SB. (And didn't he make a SB TD catch? I know he made a big yard gainer that helped.)
So give him credit.
It's not like he drops every single pass that comes his way. And the ones he does catch, he does very very well on.

And that goes for all the other receivers too.
They will work on these things.
They will be better prepared with keeping their nerves in check.
Have patience and faith. They will get better.
And every single athlete does make mistakes from time to time. It's just part of being human.
Basketball players miss the hoop. Baseball players strike out. Football players don't catch the ball every time.
Complaining and finding negative instead of positive things to say/write about is just human nature to do that. But it doesn't have to be any longer.

Wow... settle the hell down. This was not a BASH Jordy thread. In no way, shape or form did I discredit his performance during the SB. This is strictly talking about the dropped passes. Would you like me to make a thread about praising his performance bc I thought he played phenomenal. You're seeing the topic of this thread through the wrong scope.

And I'm posting this thread to get a difference perspective on our team and its logistics. How many "I love GB" threads do we have to make. Talk about beating a dead horse. We all know we love our team.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow... settle the hell down. This was not a BASH Jordy thread. In no way, shape or form did I discredit his performance during the SB. This is strictly talking about the dropped passes. Would you like me to make a thread about praising his performance bc I thought he played phenomenal. You're seeing the topic of this thread through the wrong scope.
Sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic. My bad.

Do dropped passes really come into contract negotiations?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem with Jones is he's way too inconsistent. He dropped a sure TD pass vs. the Eagles and another one in the Super Bowl. Both passes were laid right in there, and he dropped them. It's simply inexcusable, and I wouldn't mind trading him for draft picks that can help us land another Jennings or Driver.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure, but If I were TT I'd bring it up as money is business and TT is a businessman.

Jordy will get paid... no question about it. But imagine how much more he'd get paid if he caught those easy passes. He'd get a BIG PAY DAY.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
His stats are a pretty good upside too.

This year he had 582 yards per catch at 12.9 yards average.
In the post season he had 286 yards at 13.6 yards average.
In the SB he had 9 catches for 140 yards at 15.6 yards average and a TD.

In the 2010 post season he was the second leading receiver of all teams, second only to Greg Jennings.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that's the point of this thread?
Speculating on what Jordy is going to get paid or not based on his dropping passes?

It seems irrelevant, but it's pretty damn important considering everybody... i mean EVERYBODY is gonna want a payday who contributed to our SB championship. And allocating our resources sufficiently is so damn important. You do realize we don't have the kind of money like NYJ or DAL right?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems irrelevant, but it's pretty damn important considering everybody... i mean EVERYBODY is gonna want a payday who contributed to our SB championship. And allocating our resources sufficiently is so damn important. You do realize we don't have the kind of money like NYJ or DAL right?
I have no clue about the Packers budgets, contract or salary negotiations or how flexible it is or where it may be based on how well a player performs.
Or how greedy any of the Packers are.
And I'm not going to pretend to know either.
I'm going to bow out of this one.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
So Jordy dropped some passes; what's the upside?

The upside is, he caught some passes. Including this one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s81vOSr77Ew]YouTube - Green Bay Packers 1st Touchdown, Jordy Nelson - 2011 Super Bowl 45[/ame]

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Oops. Double Post.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s81vOSr77Ew"][/ame]

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can tell you this from Lombardi's days, from David Marraniss's "When Pride Still Mattered"...

Bob Skoronski played left offensive tackle for those great Lombardi teams, and was, along with defensive end Willie Davis, co-captain of the team.

Lombardi was a very tough negotiator, he sat down with each player, every year and offered them a contract. ( This was one reason why Jimmy Taylor left Green Bay in '67, he wanted to be paid for each yard gained and was jealous of the money that the new rookies "the gold dust twins" of Donny Anderson and Jim Grabowski were making...but thats another story...)

Skoronski is in Lombardi's office, and he knows he will be tongue tied, so he had rehearsed this speech as to why he thought he deserved a raise. Lombardi let him ramble for about 10 seconds and then raised his hand to stop him. Lombardi opened a drawer in his desk and and took out a sheet of paper and said ...

"heh, heh, heh...well Bob, in the Detroit game, we had 3rd and 1 and ran to your side and got stopped cold, you didn't get the job done did you?" Skoronski sat there dumbfounded, and then Lombardi got up, walked around the desk and started rubbing the big tackles crew cut." I think we will be able to agree on a contract, don't you?" Skoronski knew with that one gesture that he had been beat, and agreed to Lombardi's terms.

That incident bothered Skoronski so much, that when he walked into Lombardi's office the next year, he started out by saying" Coach, I want you to stay seated on that side of the desk for the entire time I am here...."

True story....the legend continues!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Finley would have caught the passes. We missed him big time as It would have been a blowout.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem with Jones is he's way too inconsistent. He dropped a sure TD pass vs. the Eagles and another one in the Super Bowl. Both passes were laid right in there, and he dropped them. It's simply inexcusable, and I wouldn't mind trading him for draft picks that can help us land another Jennings or Driver.

how do you trade a FA?

I see little difference in Nelson and Jones. Both drop waaaaaaay to many passes. Jones is a better athlete I guess would be the biggest thing.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
His stats are a pretty good upside too.

This year he had 582 yards per catch at 12.9 yards average.
In the post season he had 286 yards at 13.6 yards average.
In the SB he had 9 catches for 140 yards at 15.6 yards average and a TD.

In the 2010 post season he was the second leading receiver of all teams, second only to Greg Jennings.

Shoot. I just noticed the bad typo. I meant he had 582 yards receiving at 12.9 yards average. Thanks for being gracious and not jumping on me.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

Last time I checked the NFL works under a CBA (well, for now at least) which means we all have a money cap that no one can exceed regardless of the size of your market and all teams share the television revenue equally. Therefore Chicago, New York, Dallas, have no edge when it comes to player compensation.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score

Attachments

• JordyEffigy.jpg
    JordyEffigy.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 53

Members online

Latest posts