1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

so after day one we'll say we have 25 mil after shields

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Dieseljunkie12, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,131
    You know what else is not awesome? Posting crap like this:
    Since you post that is a serious question, you've got a lot to learn about the NFL.

2. Dieseljunkie12

Dieseljunkie12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    okay mr. wizard why dont you teach me about the NFL then. all teams have we will say 130 million to spend correct? lets say the giants have not used 20 million of it, where does it go? that is correct into the mara family fund and goes back into their pocket. all teams have the option to spend the money, whether or not they spend any or all is up to them, and if they choose not to spend that money stays in their pockets. please sir, correct me if im wrong.

3. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    It goes back into the pot and is carried over to next season. You don't want to blow your wad of cash completly each season. You have to save some for re-signing key core players down the road and to make sure that you have $$$ padding. Teams like dallas and washington are in cap space hell because they overspent and also owe players big money who have left of are set to leave. That money owed causes a hit to their cap space. I don't know all there is to know about the cap and all the finer points of it, but being here has def helped me understand it better. There are many websites out there that break it all down for ya.

• Old Old x 1
  4. Dieseljunkie12

Ratings:
    +16
    thank you oshkosh, at least your not just a big internet meanie like vainisi. but are you sure thats right? i am almost certain if team x has 10 million left over they cant use it next year. saying that they have 140 million to use while team z has only 130.

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,587
    Yes, teams can roll over not used cap dpace to the next season. The Packers didn't use $9.8 million of cap space last year which was added for 2014.

6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Yes, there is a roll over amount of money allowed. Just as there is a certain amount that a team HAS TO spend each season. I am unsure of the amount allowed to be rolled over, but teams like Miami had 33+ million extra this year, thus why they are so active in free agency signings. Also the browns had a butt ton of cap space to play with as well.

• Old Old x 1
  7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,587
    That is actually not correct.

8. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +235
    Okay, enjoy your entitled whining then. Complain about how horrible TT is in one breath and then about how we're wasting the best QB in the game in the next. It's not like TT had anything to do with us getting the best QB in the game. Or the best defensive player we've had since Reggie White. Yeah, TT has done nothing for this team, especially since all that matters is picking up big names like trading cards to placate whiny fans.

9. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,131
    Well if I’m the internet meanie, after reading your first two posts on this thread, you’re the internet dunce. You are obviously ignorant about (at least) the workings of the NFL salary cap. But here’s the good news – you can change that. The great thing about the internet is it makes an incredible amount of information available at your fingertips.

Here’s the CBA available for download: https://www.nflplayers.com/about-us/CBA-Download/
    Here’s one of probably hundreds of good sites on the NFL: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/

This forum has a search feature, use it and you’ll find links to more information. And regarding carrying over unused cap amounts, read some articles about the Packers salary cap situation.
    – Yours truly, The Internet Meanie

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dieseljunkie12

Ratings:
    +16
    well since i am a dunce, why dont you tell me in simple form because you are the all mighty and know everything. im glad you can do a google search, and feel free to skim through the cba download and you wont find anything about the question i have asked that i am apparently so dumb for asking.
    – Yours truly, The Internet Dunce

11. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,037
    I'll add and say two of the best defensive players since Reggie. And three if there wasn't an unfortunate injury.

12. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    The latest I could find without doing all the leg work for you is from 2011:
    Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116282714.html#ixzz2vnK4LdPn
    Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

You also asked where the money not spent on players goes.
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/On-The-Ground/2013/07/Packers.aspx

I see that you call yourself a yooper. I guess not all trolls live UNDER the bridge.
    EDIT: Okaaaaay, you changed your location after I posted this. I will give you credit for not following up on the last statement afterwards.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    I thought teams need to spend 89%?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Nearly brought me to tears. Thank you! :laugh:

15. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Over four years it has to average 89%. The Packers spent 130% or something like that last year so they could spend something like 70% this year, if they wanted too for some odd reason and it'd be fine.

16. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +355
    What?

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,485
    The chance of that is effectively zero.

To repeat for the ?th time, we have a very young team to begin with and 20 FAs. We're not going to replace all of these guys with rookies, far from it.

So far, only 2 FAs have been signed (Shields, Neal). Lattimore is probably a 3rd. having been given the low tender at $1.431 mil with the Packers having right of first refusal (but no pick compensation).

There's still a long way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,037
    I think I've given up trying to explain to people that free agency lasts longer than a day. Apparently, no player has ever been good after being signed after 1 day of free agency....

They are either choosing to ignore that it's longer or don't understand what it means.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,587
    I have said that repeatedly, teams have to spend 89% of the total amount of the cap over a four year span (2013-2016 and again from 2017-2020) IN CASH. The Packers dished out $160 million in cash with the cap being $123 million, so that shouldn't be a problem
    for them.

20. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Well, please show me that then. I have read that there is a NFL wide average that a team must meet/spend..... unless it was misunderstood by me.

EDIT*

So captainWIMM, I am technically correct then, right..!!?? If a team does not spend X amount, they wont meet said specified average......so......

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    • Old Old x 1
  21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,587
    See post #44. In addition, here´s the paragraph out of the CBA:

22. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    well then, I was right.....they have to spend a certain amount to be able to meet a 4 year period average. How was I incorrect? Just wondering.

• Old Old x 1
  23. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,587
    There is no certain amount a team has to spend each season. The Packers dished out $160 million in cash last season so if the cap will rise as expected to $140 miliion in 2015 and $150 million in 2016 they will only have to spend another $325 million in cash over the next three years (or less than 77% of the total cap over the three year period).

24. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    ok, nevermind

• Old Old x 1
  25. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Check out the thread just posted on why the Packers dont have that kind of money