Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only players in fa I am interested in are:

Tramon
KUHNNNNN
C.J. Mosley (next week for cheap)
Sam acho ( for REAL cheap)

Thoughts?

And let's be serious... Only real Ted Thompson choices here people.

What should or will we look at.

Guion and raji excluded as they SHOULD re-sign

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn is a fan favorite but not worth soaking up much cap space, if he doesn't play for GB he's doing color commentary somewhere next year. Tramon is OLD. Give him a contact and let him earn a roster spot in camp, but I wouldn't commit much garaunteed money.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want back Tramon, Kuhn, Barclay and Lattimore from last year's squad. Honestly, if they can accomplish that and do it on the cheap, then I'll be perfectly content with everything (I might already be perfectly content with our FA after bringing back Cobb and Bulaga).

We also obviously need a DT (a few DT's actually), so Raji makes sense. C.J. Mosley is more of a 4-3 DT than the road grater nose tackle we need so I wouldn't go for him. I'd have to think Guion is not an option with his legal issues. One hopefully cheap option that I'd be interested in is Alan Branch. I always thought he was better than the opportunities he was given. He's massive at 6'6" 330 and probably wouldn't cost alot and be a decent rotation/backup NT.

I'd also like to see another body be brought in for ILB, even in addition to keeping Lattimore. That's definitely not the Ted Thompson m.o., but someone like Mason Foster is still out there and I think he could really fit in and the great thing about him is he's just 26. I don't follow the Steelers very closely, but Laurence Timmons is also a FA and he has a lot of familiarity with the 3-4 and was considered a high level player a few years ago. He could be another wish list candidate for that experienced 3-4 ILB body.

Really though, FA isn't how the Packers get built. So as long as we can keep those few remaining key FAs from last years team, that's a great job. Combine that with whatever we add to the defense in the draft and I think our team is shaping up very nicely for a run next season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Foster signed with Chicago
CJ Mosley is under contract with the Ravens
We tendered Barclay and hes coming back

I want us to re-sign Tramon, Raji, Guion and an ILB (Brandon Spikes?) and call it a day until the draft.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, keeping Cobb and Bulaga makes this off season a winner; anything else is icing on the cake.
I feel that the rest off the offseason moves and the draft will focus on the defense.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant believe the stupidity of some of these teams. Way over paying for most of these guys. That's why these teams are bottom feeders year after year. There seems to be a high percentage of these over paid players busting out with their new teams and have to be cut a year or 2 later because of salary cap disasters.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only players in fa I am interested in are:

Tramon
KUHNNNNN
C.J. Mosley (next week for cheap)
Sam acho ( for REAL cheap)

Thoughts?

And let's be serious... Only real Ted Thompson choices here people.

What should or will we look at.

Guion and raji excluded as they SHOULD re-sign

I really want the Packers to bring back Tramon Williams as there aren´t any other interesting free agents available. While I really like Kuhn I don´t know if there´s a need to bring him back for another season.

I would like Thompson to address the NT position with either Vilfork or Bryant but only if one of them signs for a deal similar to the one Knighton signed with the Redskins. I don´t think the Packers will sign a free agent at OLB but IMO it´s a must to bring in a veteran at ILB, unfortunately there aren´t any perfect solutions available.

D

Deleted member 6794

I want back Tramon, Kuhn, Barclay and Lattimore from last year's squad. Honestly, if they can accomplish that and do it on the cheap, then I'll be perfectly content with everything (I might already be perfectly content with our FA after bringing back Cobb and Bulaga).

We also obviously need a DT (a few DT's actually), so Raji makes sense. C.J. Mosley is more of a 4-3 DT than the road grater nose tackle we need so I wouldn't go for him. I'd have to think Guion is not an option with his legal issues. One hopefully cheap option that I'd be interested in is Alan Branch. I always thought he was better than the opportunities he was given. He's massive at 6'6" 330 and probably wouldn't cost alot and be a decent rotation/backup NT.

I'd also like to see another body be brought in for ILB, even in addition to keeping Lattimore. That's definitely not the Ted Thompson m.o., but someone like Mason Foster is still out there and I think he could really fit in and the great thing about him is he's just 26. I don't follow the Steelers very closely, but Laurence Timmons is also a FA and he has a lot of familiarity with the 3-4 and was considered a high level player a few years ago. He could be another wish list candidate for that experienced 3-4 ILB body.

Really though, FA isn't how the Packers get built. So as long as we can keep those few remaining key FAs from last years team, that's a great job. Combine that with whatever we add to the defense in the draft and I think our team is shaping up very nicely for a run next season.

I don´t think Lattimore will be back with the Packers. Timmons is still under contract with the Steelers through 2016. Brandon Spikes is probably the best option available at ILB.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Foster signed with Chicago
CJ Mosley is under contract with the Ravens
We tendered Barclay and hes coming back

I want us to re-sign Tramon, Raji, Guion and an ILB (Brandon Spikes?) and call it a day until the draft.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the Foster signing? I'm can't find it. I just see articles that they're interested and talking. I'm just curious to see how much the deal was worth.

As for Mosley, there are actually two C.J. Mosleys in the league now. That old Adrian Peterson thing. The Ravens C.J. Mosley is a LB stud only in his second year. Obviously he wouldn't be a FA yet. But there's a DT C.J. Mosley who was the third string DT on the Lions behind Suh and Fairley and he is a UFA this off-season. I still wouldn't want him though as I think he's more of a 4-3 DT than a nose.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think Lattimore will be back with the Packers. Timmons is still under contract with the Steelers through 2016. Brandon Spikes is probably the best option available at ILB.

Haha, yeah you're right. I was scrolling through the ESPN FA Tracker to see who was available at LB and apparently there is a Lawrence Timmons who was on the Dolphins last season who is now a FA. I just saw the name and not the team and got excited. What's with all these name dopplegangers?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index?page=2&year=2015&status=1&type=-1

D

Deleted member 6794

Haha, yeah you're right. I was scrolling through the ESPN FA Tracker to see who was available at LB and apparently there is a Lawrence Timmons who was on the Dolphins last season who is now a FA. I just saw the name and not the team and got excited. What's with all these name dopplegangers?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index?page=2&year=2015&status=1&type=-1

ESPN messed that one up. There´s no other Lawrence Timmons in the league. The picture they have posted on the free agent tracker actually shows the Steelers linebacker.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres a possible player TT may take a look at. Red Bryant he is 6'4 323 pounds 30 years old played all 16 games for the dreadful Gaguars last year he had 23 tackles with 1 sack. The most important factor is that he was CUT. May possibly be able to sign him for a reasonable deal and would certainly upgrade our D line depth.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might be worth a look, but one has to wonder about a big guy cut from a crappy team with tons and tons of cap room that it MUST fill in the coming season to meet league minimums.

D

Deleted member 6794

He might be worth a look, but one has to wonder about a big guy cut from a crappy team with tons and tons of cap room that it MUST fill in the coming season to meet league minimums.

I´ve suggested to sign Bryant in a different thread yesterday. He won´t produce any pass rush but would be a huge asset vs. the run. I would be fine with that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea who he is even, can't say i've seen a single Jaguars game for quite a while. It's just teams that are looking to get better and have tons of cap room tend to keep the guys worth keeping going forward.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no idea who he is even, can't say i've seen a single Jaguars game for quite a while. It's just teams that are looking to get better and have tons of cap room tend to keep the guys worth keeping going forward.

Bryant played for the Seahawks from 2008-13 and as stated above is primarily known for his excellent run defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody that can plug up that middle and hold their ground can have a spot on this team. He doesn't need to pass rush, just not give ground and plug that middle. Daniels, Jones, can get after the passer from the DL and that's what Peppers and Matthews are for.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm officially a Red Bryant fan. Sounds like he does what he does, nothing more nothing less...but what he does we need.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UGH! I am gagging on humble pie... But our weakness is CB. I said , basicly since we gave Williams big money, that he was on his way out. But like many high end contracts. By the time the 4 years goes by, the deal is only average....Williams was making average good starter money, and produced every week to justify it... To justify it enough for me to eat 3 years worth of humble pie, and say he would be a great signing for a 1 or 2 years deal.

The alternative is to draft a new guy, and promote the nickle to starting role. Which is how Williams and Sheilds came up. This has a learning curve to it. Bringing Williams back for another year or two allows us to draft a couple more CBs and see what we have before they are thrown to the Lions and Bears.

D-line seems stacked if we get Raji and Guion back. Acceptable if we only get 1 back.

ILB Im still convinced our LB corps can handle it. We have too too many OLBs and only a couple young ILBs. Best of which Lattimore is a free agent, and Barrington coming off injury I believe. Im convinced moving Mathews around, and considering him a ILB on paper, is the way to go. Peppers, Perry, Neal, Elliot, and Mulumba have the outside taken care of IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews is a ILB more than Hayward is an outside CB, but not too terribly much. The dude prime position is OLB...can he do ILB yes, however if he is an upgrade at ILB it is only because you have a weak group of ILBs. He needs to be outside 90% of the time.

Williams and Shields (House was set to) yes both came up from Nickle...however both of them were and are built for being an outside CB. Hayward nor Hyde have anyway near the tangible and intangible collection of traits to be an outside CB that Williams and Shields had/has.

I do agree with you though Eli that resigning Raji and Guion would make our DL serviceable for the year. However, I will go on record stating even with Raji and Guion I would feel a whole lot better with a fat mamma jamma NT that is simply there to clog the middle against the run...we would still be in need of that.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also strongly believe Wilfork would be a huge difference maker. We all can surely agree his days of playing every down should be over. Belichek ran that cadilac hard until he sold it. But in my firm belief. These huge, super dominant, former super stars can still dominate!!! But in shorter periods of time... Heres what I would do.

Sit him down and paint the picture. Wilfork signs on to GB for what looks like cheap on paper. This imediately makes Belichek and Pats look terrible for letting him go... Bonus. But the deal would be to take a career extending contract in GB. Tune up the old Cadilac and let it stay clean and shiny in the garage. Only take it out when you need to use it... Cut his practices to "when it feels good" Only play him during the first 12 games "when it feels good". Then come in during crunch time, and use that 400 pound frame to BLOW UP the middle of the opposing O-line. Now considering this is basicly part time work, we can expect to pay less. And to take it a step farther, if he was able to play 4 more years at 4 mil/yr, instead of two more years being run into the ground every down somewhere else for his asking price of 8/yr... You make the same money...

And bonus! We are going to win a grip load of rings! Wilfork would probabally be the most decorated NT in history if he were to finish his career with a couple more rings in GB...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This time last season there were lots of names floating here on FAs that we should pursue. Humorously, Peppers was only mentioned a time or two but not much discussion, and I don't recall ever even hearing of Guion before we signed him.

Both of those turned out extremely well for the Packers.

There could very well be a undistinguished player out there on an average team that we are currently zeroing in on. Doubt there will be another Peppers (big name surprise) as that is a rarity for TT. But then again, the Packers will be seen as one of the strongest teams going into next season. May lead a stud to take less to go for the ring.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be a peak here soon. With Salary cap rising, Ted has been able to fill in some holes with stars... While STILL keeping his nice kush. With the cap going up every year. The new rules of unused cap being able carry over to next year. Ted has been able to build an all-pro team. Key word "TEAM". Team players.

We will peak, and fall with Ted and Rodgers. Peak when Ted goes for broke on his cap. Timed perfectly to win big before Rodgers starts declining... The Superbowl in 2011 was luck. This year was the first one we SHOULD HAVE WON! So it evens out IMO. But Im betting we have not peaked yet, because Thompson hasnt blown his load... yet...

When is JJ Watts contract up? :)

D

Deleted member 6794

The alternative is to draft a new guy, and promote the nickle to starting role. Which is how Williams and Sheilds came up. This has a learning curve to it. Bringing Williams back for another year or two allows us to draft a couple more CBs and see what we have before they are thrown to the Lions and Bears.

D-line seems stacked if we get Raji and Guion back. Acceptable if we only get 1 back.

ILB Im still convinced our LB corps can handle it. We have too too many OLBs and only a couple young ILBs. Best of which Lattimore is a free agent, and Barrington coming off injury I believe. Im convinced moving Mathews around, and considering him a ILB on paper, is the way to go. Peppers, Perry, Neal, Elliot, and Mulumba have the outside taken care of IMO.

The defensive line won´t be stacked even if Raji and Guion are re-signed. Raji has to prove he´s still capable of being a decent NT and Guion will likely be suspended for the first few games.

The ILB situation is a mess at the moment and the Packers should actually bring in three guys by adding a free agent, a high draft pick and a developmental guy later in the draft to compete for playing time.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The defensive line won´t be stacked even if Raji and Guion are re-signed. Raji has to prove he´s still capable of being a decent NT and Guion will likely be suspended for the first few games.

The ILB situation is a mess at the moment and the Packers should actually bring in three guys by adding a free agent, a high draft pick and a developmental guy later in the draft to compete for playing time.
You apparently feel that Palmer, Lattimore, Thomas, Hubbard and Francis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts