Small ILB Recap & Conclusions

D

Deleted member 6794

Given the FA of Bahktiari and Sitton, Tretter and Lang, what if Cody Whitehair was there in round 2 when the Packers were on the board?

I'm guessing the Packers will sign 3 of the 4 OLs just mentioned. Bahktiari and Sitton --can't seem them letting them go. And I like Tretter a lot. He's versatile and filled in pretty well at LT when Barclay was a disaster. Could mean Lang will not be signed perhaps?

Whitehair reminds me a lot of Tretter, but a better version (perhaps)--very versatile. Best as a OG but is also able to play OT. He could take over for Lang, would give the Packers a pretty good looking OL group for 2016: Bahk-Sitton-Linsley-Lang-Bulaga with Tretter and Whitehair as backup, and they could let someone go in 2017 without leaving a gaping hole in the OL.

I think Cody would be a very good, very smart pick in round 2 *if* we got a Floyd-type guy in round 1.

Whitehair is most likely the best guard prospect in this year's draft. With that being said I wouldn't feel comfortable with picking him to be a backup next season before addressing a more pressing need on the defensive line.

I agree that most likely the Packers will re-sign Bakhtiari and either Sitton or Lang but expect Tretter to leave in free agency to be the starting center somewhere else.

If the Packers don't feel comfortable replacing one of the guards with someone on the roster next season the 2017 draft is the one to spend an early rounder on the position.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be worried about Whitehair's strength. I'm not sure if he was nursing an injury, but he
only did 16 reps on the bench press. For comparison, Randall Cobb did 16 reps at his combine
as do many wide receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be worried about Whitehair's strength. I'm not sure if he was nursing an injury, but he
only did 16 reps on the bench press. For comparison, Randall Cobb did 16 reps at his combine
as do many wide receivers.

I didn't realize Whitehair had only 16 reps. Agree that it's kind of concerning.

Its strange how Darron Lee's stock has fallen like it has.

Actually taking a look at his tape it's strange that Lee's stock ever rose that far because of his performance at the combine.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

He's strictly a space player. He shies away from contact unless he's the one attacking. That may seem like a contradiction but it isn't. He probably should be a SS, not a LB.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would be worried about Whitehair's strength. I'm not sure if he was nursing an injury, but he only did 16 reps on the bench press. For comparison, Randall Cobb did 16 reps at his combine as do many wide receivers.
nfldraftscout.com is pretty thorough in indicating injuries going into the Combine/Pro Days. They show nothing for Whitehair.

Those lifts could be somewhat excused if it was a LT with very lengthy arms. Long-armed guys have trouble on the bench. Whitehair's arms are stumpy...32 3/8"...especially for a 6'4" guy. He should be lifting more than that.

A comparable would be Peter Konz, a guy with 33" arms who only managed 18 lifts. I don't believe his play, mostly at OG, was particularly impressive during his first 2 healthy seasons, though I'll leave that for others to comment on.

For a guy like Le'Raven Clark, with those monstrous 36 1/8" arms, his 18 reps is far less of a concern.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course we all would like Ragland or Lee. But realistically we might not get them, we won't know. What I do know is Barrington and Ryan wont be able to cover the Darren Sproles and Jordan Reeds.
For second and third rounds, I like Joshua Perry and Deion Jones. They looked great on film. Perry is not as instinctive as Ragland but has better coverage skills. Deion Jones ran a 4.38-4.39, hes definitely got speed. On film Jones was always in the backfield but his cover skill could improve with coaching. I'm ify on Scooby Wright... I saw a lot of arm tackles/ miss tackles on film (especially the UCLA game vs Brett Hundley). Nick Kwiatkowski is a name thats on the rise right now.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I agree. PFF has him at #88!

Another Buckeye that I am shocked at the inconsistency of where he is being predicted to go is OT Taylor Decker.

I've consistently seen him mid to late first round and have this nagging fear that TT will draft him at #27.

PFF has him at #81!

"We don’t see the same dominant offensive tackle potential in Decker as he’s a powerful fun blocker, but there was too much inconsistency in pass protection over the last two seasons."

Note: "fun" what their typo not mine :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Of course we all would like Ragland or Lee. But realistically we might not get them, we won't know. What I do know is Barrington and Ryan wont be able to cover the Darren Sproles and Jordan Reeds.
For second and third rounds, I like Joshua Perry and Deion Jones. They looked great on film. Perry is not as instinctive as Ragland but has better coverage skills. Deion Jones ran a 4.38-4.39, hes definitely got speed. On film Jones was always in the backfield but his cover skill could improve with coaching. I'm ify on Scooby Wright... I saw a lot of arm tackles/ miss tackles on film (especially the UCLA game vs Brett Hundley). Nick Kwiatkowski is a name thats on the rise right now.

Most of the posters around here would be disappointed if the Packers end up drafting Darron Lee to address the inside linebacker position. I would be fine with getting either Kwiatkowski or Perry in the third round or later but there´s absolutely no way Thompson should select Deion Jones. Wright would most likely be an upgrade in run defense but wouldn´t improve the coverage skills on the unit which is the most pressing need for the position.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the posters around here would be disappointed if the Packers end up drafting Darron Lee to address the inside linebacker position. I would be fine with getting either Kwiatkowski or Perry in the third round or later but there´s absolutely no way Thompson should select Deion Jones. Wright would most likely be an upgrade in run defense but wouldn´t improve the coverage skills on the unit which is the most pressing need for the position.
Aight I get that you don't like Deion for whatever reasion. But no, Wright would not be an upgrade with all the arm tackles and lack of athleticism. I dont understand why everyone is so high on Wright. Anyways, just need a linebacker who can cover.

D

Deleted member 6794

Aight I get that you don't like Deion for whatever reasion. But no, Wright would not be an upgrade with all the arm tackles and lack of athleticism. I dont understand why everyone is so high on Wright. Anyways, just need a linebacker who can cover.

I don´t like Deion Jones because he abstains from contact, misses way too many tackles in the run game and although he´s one of the fastest inside linebackers in this year´s draft he´s a liability in coverage.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And that wouldn't be Jones....a fast 40 doesn't automatically mean good coverage. Lee is a very good pass rusher and he can run real fast to catch a guy but he doesn't do a good job of tackling (guys tend to get a couple yards while being tackled by him) and he's not very strong in coverage.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that wouldn't be Jones....a fast 40 doesn't automatically mean good coverage. Lee is a very good pass rusher and he can run real fast to catch a guy but he doesn't do a good job of tackling (guys tend to get a couple yards while being tackled by him) and he's not very strong in coverage.
Never said Jones was strong in cover. Read what I said bove. I stated Jones needs major work on covering. Can improve by coaching. As to how he shys away physical contact, I'm not see that on film. Consistently at line of scrimmage or behind line.

D

Deleted member 6794

Never said Jones was strong in cover. Read what I said bove. I stated Jones needs major work on covering. Can improve by coaching. As to how he shys away physical contact, I'm not see that on film. Consistently at line of scrimmage or behind line.

Jones is one of the best inside linebackers rushing the passer but unfortunately a liability defending the run and in coverage. In a nutshell a terrible fit for the Packers.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is one of the best inside linebackers rushing the passer but unfortunately a liability defending the run and in coverage. In a nutshell a terrible fit for the Packers.
I can agree with that. :)
Whose has the best coverage skill for the linebackers this year?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with Captain, if you read what the scouts are writing, after Mack there really isn't a guy that you could call an instant 3 down ILB in the draft. But Ragland is probably the guy who is the most ready to become that guy, but will still need some work. I'm tired of failed projects at the position. But when you pick this far back in the draft each year and don't go after one in the FA market, seems that is about all you can do. Let's hope Ragland falls to the Packers or I think 2016 is going to be another wait and see year at ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with Captain, if you read what the scouts are writing, after Mack there really isn't a guy that you could call an instant 3 down ILB in the draft. But Ragland is probably the guy who is the most ready to become that guy, but will still need some work. I'm tired of failed projects at the position. But when you pick this far back in the draft each year and don't go after one in the FA market, seems that is about all you can do. Let's hope Ragland falls to the Packers or I think 2016 is going to be another wait and see year at ILB.

I guess the Packers would have to draft a hybrid linebacker/safety if Ragland isn´t the team´s first round choice to significantly upgrade the overall coverage ability at the position.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s a tough one to answer. Joshua Perry might be in the discussion as well as Jatavis Brown, who needs to improve in other areas to get on the field though.
Agreed capt.

Same... Everyone is tired of the failed projects at ILB. :(

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hate to beat a dead horse, but the Packers have also not invested much into this position in a long time. Jake Ryan being picked in the 4th round is the closest thing you could call a substantial investment since AJ Hawk in 2006. I hope to see that change in this draft.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Other than those two. Sorry xD.
Look to the safeties who show some coverage skills and are not afraid to hit. That's what the NFL is doing, and for good reason. This is pro-style passing with plenty of fast TEs who can run a route and plenty of 3rd. down (and even 1st. and 2nd. down) backs who can catch the ball.

Killebrew is that kind of player. Though he's a big hitter his run game instincts are not the best. Then again, if you want it all that guy was Smith and he would have been a top 5 pick.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I guess the Packers would have to draft a hybrid linebacker/safety if Ragland isn´t the team´s first round choice to significantly upgrade the overall coverage ability at the position.
It's a "just cannot be sure" with Ragland. He has the speed which is a good place to start. But like so many of these college ILBs, to repeat for the umpteenth time, you just don't see him stray far from the line of scrimmage and when he does it's just zone drop filling space. All these guys are doing what they do to defend the spread/option junk, where the QBs are not often called upon to even work through a progression, and where they're rolling half the time where they couldn't even attempt a throw down the seam. The closes many of these guys come is 2 receiver combo route to one side of the field, opening up somebody with the threat to run.

Why do the colleges offenses do this stuff? Because they found it's easier to teach when you have a guy starting for 3, 2 or even 1 year.

How can you judge whether a guy can run with an NFL TE or a RB on a wheel route if you've never seen him try it?

What you get with a LB like Ragland (or a Floyd for that matter) is an outstanding athlete and instinctual football player. So the material is there to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look to the safeties who show some coverage skills and are not afraid to hit. That's what the NFL is doing, and for good reason. This is pro-style passing with plenty of fast TEs who can run a route and plenty of 3rd. down (and even 1st. and 2nd. down) backs who can catch the ball.

Killebrew is that kind of player. Though he's a big hitter his run game instincts are not the best. Then again, if you want it all that guy was Smith and he would have been a top 5 pick.
I have no idea if Killebrew can play LB, I have watched his interviews and really like this kid , he is smart and a good guy by all I can tell. I don't know if he has the body to play inside.

Members online

Latest posts