Small ILB Recap & Conclusions

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it's not their biggest need, but it's a direction they could go with the poor LB play they had last season.

Well, the Dolphins already addressed the position by trading for Kiko Alonso this offseason. I don't think they'll spend a first rounder on it as well.

I totally agree, Myles injury isn't Jaylon Smith like, but if by some miracle he and Ragland stay on the board until after the 15th pick, I like our chances of seeing Ragland still there at #27.

If Myles Jack somehow is still on the board after the 15th pick and if the Packers medical staff feels comfortable about his injury Thompson should intensively consider trading up for him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree, Myles injury isn't Jaylon Smith like, but if by some miracle he and Ragland stay on the board until after the 15th pick, I like our chances of seeing Ragland still there at #27. All a guessing game, for all we know both will be gone well before #20. I hope teams ahead of us value Lee higher. I definitely think there is going to be a surprise pick or two at QB in the first round, a run at WR's right before our pick and if enough teams grab OT's and DB's....the stars might align over Jupiter and Ragland is in GB.
I have already come to terms with the idea that Ragland wont be a GB Packer. I am hopeful he slips far enough to give Ted an option to trade up a half dozen spots, and get the big prize. Quits thinking about ILB, and go back to building the rest of the team. Mainly both Lines depth. Couple late round offensive guys too maybe. But 2nd, three 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th round picks left. We can get some linemen out of that ammo.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree, Myles injury isn't Jaylon Smith like, but if by some miracle he and Ragland stay on the board until after the 15th pick, I like our chances of seeing Ragland still there at #27. All a guessing game, for all we know both will be gone well before #20. I hope teams ahead of us value Lee higher. I definitely think there is going to be a surprise pick or two at QB in the first round, a run at WR's right before our pick and if enough teams grab OT's and DB's....the stars might align over Jupiter and Ragland is in GB.
I have already come to terms with the idea that Ragland wont be a GB Packer. I am hopeful he slips far enough to give Ted an option to trade up a half dozen spots, and get the big prize. Quits thinking about ILB, and go back to building the rest of the team. Mainly both Lines depth. Couple late round offensive guys too maybe. But 2nd, three 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th round picks left. We can get some linemen out of that ammo.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Dolphins already addressed the position by trading for Kiko Alonso this offseason. I don't think they'll spend a first rounder on it as well.

If Myles Jack somehow is still on the board after the 15th pick and if the Packers medical staff feels comfortable about his injury Thompson should intensively consider trading up for him.

Im happy to see there is another great ILB prospect to consider with our 1st pick. The chances ragland drops to us is that much better in my estimation...but still a situation where I think we will not be a GB Packer without a trade up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I don't want it to happen, I have a feeling we might draft Darron Lee out of Ohio State at 27 if hes there and Ragland isn't. Lee's stock has been dropping for a reason. I just hope we aren't the ones to draft him. I'd rather take Billings, Coleman or someone else (or even trade back) at that point. We'll have some ILB options in rounds 2 and 3 for sure too.

Oh I really hope this doesn't happen. A smallish linebacker runs real fast and everyone assumes he can cover. He's very good pass rusher, which is terrific, but drafting Lee at ILB solves absolutely none of the pass coverage issues the Packers have at that position and there will probably be much better options on the dline (I still have my fingers crossed that Chris Jones falls).

I'd also be perfectly content to take Coleman or Doctson at WR in round one (though I would also love to take Shepard at WR in round 2 so the Packers better start working on their seven WR sets).

D

Deleted member 6794

Im happy to see there is another great ILB prospect to consider with our 1st pick. The chances ragland drops to us is that much better in my estimation...but still a situation where I think we will not be a GB Packer without a trade up.

As I've said before it's highly unlikely Myles Jack will drop anywhere close to the Packers selection.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not as excited about having another WR, top tier or not. As I am that another team that really wants/needs that WR will trade up to #27 and get him. Obviously that's if Ragland, Jack or one of the packers top picks are still there.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've said before it's highly unlikely Myles Jack will drop anywhere close to the Packers selection.
Well I can be optimistic that his stock will continue to drop. To where another team who needs a LB has to choose between Him and Ragland... All in all im just happy Ragland has a better chance of slipping because of Jack.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Several people that cover the Dolphins have mentioned drafting Ragland and moving Alonso to OLB. They were saying that it's his more natural position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way Myles Jack falls to the Packers is because every team's medical personnel think his knee is basically paper mache and if that's the case, then I think I'd be a little leery of drafting the guy.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's forget about Myles Jack. Packers ain't gonna even sniff him. And Jaylon Smith. Unless he makes a miraculous recovery, he will not be playing next year.

If Leonard Floyd is on the board at #27, I also like that idea of the Packers picking him, but could he really work at WILB? His strength is as a pass rusher, and some think he could be one of the best this year at it.
The main rap on Floyd is his lanky frame. I wonder how much of a problem that is. They guy can always beef up. It may take another year, but he has so much upside, that it would be well worth the risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mel Kiper and Todd Mcshay like Brothers out of Mizzou, say he is under valued, I picked him on my Amish draft board. I'm talking 2nd or 3rd

Brothers struggles in coverage and therefore isn't the inside linebacker the Packers should be looking for.

Let's forget about Myles Jack. Packers ain't gonna even sniff him. And Jaylon Smith. Unless he makes a miraculous recovery, he will not be playing next year.

If Leonard Floyd is on the board at #27, I also like that idea of the Packers picking him, but could he really work at WILB? His strength is as a pass rusher, and some think he could be one of the best this year at it.
The main rap on Floyd is his lanky frame. I wonder how much of a problem that is. They guy can always beef up. It may take another year, but he has so much upside, that it would be well worth the risk.

I think that Floyd is capable of playing Will linebacker. Ideally if selecting Floyd the Packers add Jaylon Smith later in the draft and move Floyd outside for the 2017 season. He would have to add some weight to become a decent edge rusher at the pro level though.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brothers struggles in coverage and therefore isn't the inside linebacker the Packers should be looking for.

I think that Floyd is capable of playing Will linebacker. Ideally if selecting Floyd the Packers add Jaylon Smith later in the draft and move Floyd outside for the 2017 season. He would have to add some weight to become a decent edge rusher at the pro level though.

I have a feeling someone is going to take a chance on Jaylon Smith in round 2 or 3. Unless his upcoming pro day is a disaster.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a feeling someone is going to take a chance on Jaylon Smith in round 2 or 3. Unless his upcoming pro day is a disaster.

Notre Dame´s pro day was already held on March 31 with Smith only being able to bench press during the event. It seems to be a foregone conclusion that he will miss the entire 2016 season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hard to imagine that every team in the NFL isn't fully aware of Jaylon Smith. All viewing him the same way, "we really want him, but when do we select him?" He is a high character guy with a tremendous upside. As a Packer fan, I would be fine with using one of our 4th round picks for him. With 9 picks and a pretty decent roster, we can afford that kind of gamble. I seriously doubt all 9 picks make the team, with at least 2 or 3 of them ending up on the PS anyway. Smith can be carried on IR I believe? If his injury keeps him from ever playing, we lost the pick and the gamble. However, if he comes back in 2017 close to his pre-injury form, we have a guy that would have been top 5 pick.

I expect draft day coverage to be filled with Jaylon Smith talk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hard to imagine that every team in the NFL isn't fully aware of Jaylon Smith. All viewing him the same way, "we really want him, but when do we select him?" He is a high character guy with a tremendous upside. As a Packer fan, I would be fine with using one of our 4th round picks for him. With 9 picks and a pretty decent roster, we can afford that kind of gamble. I seriously doubt all 9 picks make the team, with at least 2 or 3 of them ending up on the PS anyway. Smith can be carried on IR I believe? If his injury keeps him from ever playing, we lost the pick and the gamble. However, if he comes back in 2017 close to his pre-injury form, we have a guy that would have been top 5 pick.

As I´ve said before if the Packers address inside linebacker and the defensive line with their first two picks I would be fine with selecting Smith in the third round. The team drafting him would for sure stash him on injured reserve to open the season, especially with the possibility to retroactively designate him to return if he miraculously is able to return to the field late in 2016.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As I´ve said before if the Packers address inside linebacker and the defensive line with their first two picks I would be fine with selecting Smith in the third round. The team drafting him would for sure stash him on injured reserve to open the season, especially with the possibility to retroactively designate him to return if he miraculously is able to return to the field late in 2016.

Agreed, 4th rounder would be even better, but the 3rd you propose might be what it takes to secure him.

I really don't see him being able to play in 2016 and I am fine with that. Would much rather he fully heal, spend some time off the field learning the defense, hang out with his teammates and be ready to contribute in 2017. Just picturing him and Ragland lining up as our starting ILB's to start 2017 gives me goosebumps. :D

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for the kid. I don't know him obviously, but watching video online, it's apparent he's far and away better than the other linebackers that will be available to us. His ability to read a play, react (instincts) in both run and pass and he can keep tight coverage too, not just play a space. I really hope to see this kid recover and play at his level in the NFL someday. Be better if it was for GB, but he deserves to recover and get his chance.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Floyd would be a very good pick. I believe he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. I doubt he'll make it to #27, but I put him down for 1st. round anyway.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Floyd would be a very good pick. I believe he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. I doubt he'll make it to #27, but I put him down for 1st. round anyway.

Question for you and CWimm -- Let's say Floyd fell to the Packers in the 1st and they nabbed him. Potentially huge upgrade at LB that the Packers sorely need.

Given the FA of Bahktiari and Sitton, Tretter and Lang, what if Cody Whitehair was there in round 2 when the Packers were on the board?

I'm guessing the Packers will sign 3 of the 4 OLs just mentioned. Bahktiari and Sitton --can't seem them letting them go. And I like Tretter a lot. He's versatile and filled in pretty well at LT when Barclay was a disaster. Could mean Lang will not be signed perhaps?

Whitehair reminds me a lot of Tretter, but a better version (perhaps)--very versatile. Best as a OG but is also able to play OT. He could take over for Lang, would give the Packers a pretty good looking OL group for 2016: Bahk-Sitton-Linsley-Lang-Bulaga with Tretter and Whitehair as backup, and they could let someone go in 2017 without leaving a gaping hole in the OL.

I think Cody would be a very good, very smart pick in round 2 *if* we got a Floyd-type guy in round 1.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts