Slowest Wr’s in the league.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on Sports radar that the Packers WRs are anked the slowest in the league haha. Well if you’ve watched the Packers over the last 4 seasons it would be hard to argue against that. We all have seen Rodgers running around hundreds of times holding the ball waiting for these guys to get open...and what doesn’t help is the fact that MM doesn’t have any route concepts that really get these guys open...his theory is “we need to win our 1 on 1’s” which is basically saying he’s not creative enough to come up with ways that help. Packers have 3 possession WRs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh boy, here we go again. Half the time Rodgers is running around holding the ball is because Rodgers decided to pass up every open underneath pass and go for the big play. I've seen enough of them to know, it isn't all because the WR's can't get open. It was trash journalism then, and it's trash now. Those same guys saying Jordy couldn't do it, saw Jordy do it again. Those same guys that said Adams was too slow, saw Adams do it for 2 seasons in a row now. Just **** already. The only reason this every got any traction was because we lost practically our slowest WR in Nelson 1 season, and our #'s 2 and 3 WR's were hurt all year and our LT was hurt all year and had surgery the moment the season ended. Our RT was hurt all year and in and out. and our 2 guards were playing thru injuries and we swapped centers during the season too.

Let's ignore all of that, and go with the too slow of WR's again LOL. You can tell who watches and who looks for things they want to see.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh boy, here we go again. Half the time Rodgers is running around holding the ball is because Rodgers decided to pass up every open underneath pass and go for the big play. I've seen enough of them to know, it isn't all because the WR's can't get open. It was trash journalism then, and it's trash now. Those same guys saying Jordy couldn't do it, saw Jordy do it again. Those same guys that said Adams was too slow, saw Adams do it for 2 seasons in a row now. Just **** already. The only reason this every got any traction was because we lost practically our slowest WR in Nelson 1 season, and our #'s 2 and 3 WR's were hurt all year and our LT was hurt all year and had surgery the moment the season ended. Our RT was hurt all year and in and out. and our 2 guards were playing thru injuries and we swapped centers during the season too.

Let's ignore all of that, and go with the too slow of WR's again LOL. You can tell who watches and who looks for things they want to see.

But our wide receivers are objectively slow, and it showed during many games this season (minus Adams of course). Nelson's average statline post the week 6 Viking game in which Rodgers got injured - 3 catches a game, 21 yards, 0 TDS - that's a top 10 paid WR right there. Cobb is in the same boat. I'm not sure what games you watch LOL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Red X's are fun. Let's talk about Jordy Nelson. 2016 he has over 1200 yards and 14 TD's. Just an FYI that lead the entire league in pass catching TD's. That was just a year ago. Clearly too slow. He's been "slow" his whole career according to his 40 time. He's objectively too slow LOL You watch the games right? LOL

and it's really funny when people mistake the QB that can't get an open receiver a ball to a receiver not being able to get open and claim they watch the games. 2017 for Jordy started with his first 4 games with an actual starting QB (missed week 2 pretty much) with 5 catches a game, 12.7 yards per catch and lead the league again in TD's with better than a TD a game at 6. That's a TD and a half per game average. It's silly to take that small sample size and extrapolate that out to a full season, but hey, bigger dipshits have used a single game stat line in which a back up QB came in against a top 3 defense in the entire league on the road to draw a conclusion, so I figure my quarter season sample size at least worthy for this silly discussion. 80 receptions over 1,000 yards, again, and 24 TD's. I'd say that's pretty good. Clearly he's lost it LOL

and Adams, who you apparently think is "objectively" faster than our other WR's has a slower 40 time than Jordy, Cobb, Janis, Davis. You're probably one of those that thought he should be cut 2 years ago too LOL. Now he's the only WR we have right? I trust your judgement :)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But our wide receivers are objectively slow, and it showed during many games this season (minus Adams of course).
That aside, even Greg Jennings said our routes are predictable. I know there are posters here who do not respect him. But he's not the only one who has said it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you have any proof of this? Just because it happened a few times does not mean that it's "half of the time". Seeing that what looked like a really meager unit last year was one of the best in the league with him under center, it's tough to use the argument that he's hindering the offense in any way imaginable.

I looked at a video of all of his throws over 40. It sure seemed like most of them were to Greg Jenning.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But our wide receivers are objectively slow, and it showed during many games this season (minus Adams of course). Nelson's average statline post the week 6 Viking game in which Rodgers got injured - 3 catches a game, 21 yards, 0 TDS - that's a top 10 paid WR right there. Cobb is in the same boat. I'm not sure what games you watch LOL
If you want to prove our receivers are slow, why dont you just post their 40 times? What is the point of how many catches and yards he has? Our fastest WR is Davis and he ranks 12 on the year in receptions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That aside, even Greg Jennings said our routes are predictable. I know there are posters here who do not respect him. But he's not the only one who has said it.
Greg Jennings has said a lot of things. I think he was a great receiver, one of the best we've ever had. But I wonder if he liked the less predictable routes he ran in MN better? Every offense has a passing tree, most defenses know it. It almost always comes down to execution.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to prove our receivers are slow, why dont you just post their 40 times? What is the point of how many catches and yards he has? Our fastest WR is Davis and he ranks 12 on the year in receptions.
don't forget our 2nd fastest

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't forget our 2nd fastest
Didn't forget him, just don't know who it is. :)

Speed is just another tool in the toolbox. Y ou can be effective as a WR by using other talents/facets. Height, quickness, route running, jumping ability, strength, arm length, etc.

Always thought you needed 2 of each. 2 tall guys and 2 speed guys. If a defense has CBs they probably won't have 2 fast and 2 tall CBs. You are going to have at least one very favorable matchup out there.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings has said a lot of things. I think he was a great receiver, one of the best we've ever had. But I wonder if he liked the less predictable routes he ran in MN better? Every offense has a passing tree, most defenses know it. It almost always comes down to execution.
It does come down to execution. Some systems are just much better than others.

Look at LA. Neither one of their top 2 receivers are big or fast, one is a rookie and the other a moderately priced newly acquired FA, yet they are producing at high levels with a QB who struggled significantly in a much worse system.
Randall Cobb can hardly get a look in this offense anymore. Something is wrong

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we definitely could use some help at WR, but articles like this are ****ing stupid. Oh gee, lets take an offense that has performed consistently at a high level and has fallen off and blame it on the speed of the WR's again LOL. That was played out 2 years ago and every write and purveyor of that junk journalism was shown to be a fool yet here they are again. Using Chip technology they've averaged the top speed of the WR group and ranked them LOL. Great analytics. Really means a lot :)

We have 2 guys getting older, 1 young guy hitting his prime. We don't appear to have that young guy ready to step in like we've had in the past with Jennings, Jones, Jordy, Cobb, etc. Davis has shown me nothing but poor decision making and inconsistent effort. Janis is bottom of depth and great Special teamer. I know others were excited about those draft picks last year, but I saw nothing out of any of those guys. At least Boykin showed me something in the preseason. I was surprised at how little I saw from them. Anyway, it will be an interesting offseason.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year after the Falcons eliminated/destroyed us, people were saying the whole team was too slow. It's not a new criticism.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s stupid to assume that Rodgers will intentionally ignore the check down just to throw a bomb down field. Has he missed the check down? Sure he has, but I’m sure he’s not doing it on purpose dude. He’s not the most accurate passer in NFL because he’s rather throw bombs

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams has a great size, strength, quickness ratio, and is fast enough to make a cb pay if he bites on a double move. But you see Julio Jones fly down field once and you realize that's why he is a back breaker. He must be doubled, and even then a great pass will beat the double team most the time...

Jordy, after the knee, hip, and maybe even that bone crunching rib shot last year? Something has slowed him down considerably. He seems to have taken such a big step back that I wonder if the body is just not healthy... I think he should be a #4 wr who schools nickel and dime backs. Let him coast the last few years, and hold him in reserve in case a injury or two hits our top wrs...

Cobb should have been traded a year or two ago. He just isn't producing. This year the cap won't force us to keep him. And we need to find a place for the bigger, stronger Montgomery, back at the wr group. If Monty wants reps, he needs to step into Cobb's position.

That said. I'd like to see a 1St round blue chip wr prospect with size, speed, hands. and see if a legit deep threat, combined with a solid davante Adams. See if the field opens up for #12 and the running g game... because in all seriousness. This 500 yard leading rusher trend is getting old...

I like Davis and Clark. Janis too. They all have their good points. But if we won't play Clark or janis to their strengths. Or at all? Then their talent doesn't mean squat. And we should move on. But personally, I'd rather mix them in on a couple specialty plays and throw it up for the big boys to go get. Davis has good speed and is progressing. I think we need to give him time to make the next step.

Adams
#14 pick rookie stud wr
Montgomery
Jordy

Allison, Davis, Janis, Clark, Yancy, and who ever else, can fight for the last two spots.

Members online

Latest posts