Sick of certain Packers tweeting

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The freedom we enjoy as Americans is of course precious and I hope everyone has that uppermost in mind in early November of this year. But our freedom is not absolute. The First Amendment protects our right to freely exercise our religious beliefs but not absolutely: Those whose religions allow plural marriage are not free to practice polygamy. The freedom of the press isn’t absolute either as there are laws against libel. We have the right to peaceably assemble and petition the Government for a redress of grievances but laws against sedition are constitutional.

Neither is our freedom of speech absolute. As recently as 1969 the Supreme Court refined the test for exclusions to our freedom of speech. If speech is intended to incite violence or harm and if that violence or harm is immanent and likely, it is not constitutionally protected. So yelling fire in a crowded theater if the yeller knows there is no fire, is not protected speech. Of course if no one is harmed, it wouldn’t get into the court system but harm is not an element of test, only the immanent likelihood of harm. Obscenity and “incitement to crime” are also exceptions to freedom of speech.

Another exception is “fighting words”. This is a quote from Chaplinsky v.New Hampshire, a Supreme Court decision decided in 1942:
There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting words" those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace.
ht
tp://www.freedomforum.org/packages/first/fightingwords/casesummaries.htm#chaplinsky

As I said the freedoms we enjoy as citizens of the United States are precious and they are unsurpassed in world history. They just aren’t absolute.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not racist?

To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush".

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beg to differ in the context of the preceding dialogue. Check out the urban dictionary for the term spade.

or this:
Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang:
spade
noun
noun, offensive, orig US
1: A black person. (1928 —) .​

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I beg to differ in the context of the preceding dialogue. Check out the urban dictionary for the term spade.

or this:
Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang:
spade
noun
noun, offensive, orig US
1: A black person. (1928 —) .​

I know what you meant..

But when someone says call spade a spade, it isnt being racist...

When you say SPADE that is being racist

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is a bit ironic that that phrase was used following posts that addressed homosexuality, **** and ********, the NAACP, a parable about a black Wisconsin congressman, and the ***. Then there was that smilly face at the end.

At best it was poor timing. Anyway, I think I've made my point.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other words, "I have no intelligible response, so I'll just call you a troll and run away."
run away? Never.
I guess it went over your head, as with someone else obviously. I call things like I see them. You are clearly trying to pick some pointless Internet fight and I am calling you on it.

And did someone seriously just cite urban dictionary?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is a bit ironic that that phrase was used following posts that addressed homosexuality, **** and ********, the NAACP, a parable about a black Wisconsin congressman, and the ***. Then there was that smilly face at the end.

At best it was poor timing. Anyway, I think I've made my point.

Nothing like going on an insane rant to tell everyone what someone else meant by a common saying that was used to describe calling someone out for behavior.

Ahhh the offseason. Brings out the best and brightest in all of us.

Waiting to hear that brightest, according to some kid in new mexico who adds stuff to urban dictionary, is a racial term for white people.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm totally out of the loop on this one. I will never understand the allure of Twitter, and I'm not sure who Kurt Cameroon is.

Ugh...I am such a loser.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Bag, I had to do some digging myself - frankly, you're not missing much. Kurt Cameron had a role in a television show a few decades back. He married a woman who helped him change the sinful and ****-filled (poor guy...they just have a way of suckin' the life right out of a guy, don't they? ;) ) ways of his youth and became an avowed political/evangelical conservative. He wears his religious and political beliefs together on the same sleeve and made a reference to one of the usual topics at a r far right religious Conservative 'gathering' - I think it actually may have been C.P.A.C. and it riled up the far left. Frankly, this is just the result of the usual hair-pulling and purse swinging that makes up our political landscape these days.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing like going on an insane rant to tell everyone what someone else meant by a common saying that was used to describe calling someone out for behavior.

Ahhh the offseason. Brings out the best and brightest in all of us.

Waiting to hear that brightest, according to some kid in new mexico who adds stuff to urban dictionary, is a racial term for white people.
Rant you say. Have you kept up with yourself in this thread?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I thought this was Packers discussion not political ramblings

PackersFan28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did we ever find out why this thread was started? I just took a quick glance at his twitter and I didn't see anything too bad.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
run away? Never.
I guess it went over your head, as with someone else obviously. I call things like I see them. You are clearly trying to pick some pointless Internet fight and I am calling you on it.

I'm sorry, but which one of us hurled an ad hominem at the other? Oh that's right... that was YOU calling me a "troll". If you think civil and rather mild debate is an "Internet fight" that hurts your gentle sensibilities so much, then maybe you should find something else to do with your time or something.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but which one of us hurled an ad hominem at the other? Oh that's right... that was YOU calling me a "troll". If you think civil and rather mild debate is an "Internet fight" that hurts your gentle sensibilities so much, then maybe you should find something else to do with your time or something.

troll: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument (Urban dictionary, since its the go to place I guess for definitions for some lol)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can the "debates" be taken to ***? Or put each other on ignore

Either get this back on topic or we can lock it

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the "debates" be taken to ***? Or put each other on ignore

Either get this back on topic or we can lock it

I agree completely. These debates have no place here and have gotten to the point where I think you guys have forgotten what you were arguing about in the first place.

As for the fate of this thread, I recommend locking it or deleting it altogether. Whatever point it may of possessed, of course assuming it had one at all, has been lost. I fail to see the point of even trying to get this thread back on track as it doesn't appear the thread ever had a proper destination and was instead used as a forum for arguing.

Members online

Latest posts