Should we rest our starters?

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say no. I just plain hate the idea. Even if we have HFA and the first round bye sealed up, I still say we keep everyone in the game for all 16 games. Some may ask: "Why risk an injury to Rodgers/Jennings/ etc etc." Well, here are my theories:

1) It keeps all of our players in a steady, winning rhythm.

2) It shows class. Think about it: You go into the final game of the season and the opposing team sees your backups? They think they are not worth the trouble? They play harder than ever and possibly issue the first loss of the season.

3) History repeats itself: Wasn't it a few years back that a team went into the final game(s) of the season and rested their starters and ultimately it cost them? I THINK it was the Colts, but I could be wrong. I believe it cost them HFA or a first round bye.

Now, I have a few other reasons to not rest the starters. Like I would really love to see the Packers go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. We would only be the second team to ever do so, but also be the BEST team to ever do so. By that, I mean that the 2011/12 Packers would win a game against the 1971(?) Dolphins.

I would love to see Aaron Rodgers smash Tom Brady's records. Now, I am not really a records kind of guy, I am a wins and Super Bowls kind of guy, but I just happened to be blessed with one HELLUVA QB. I want to see him to great. I would be SO happy to have ANYONE BUT TOM BRADY owning those records, but since Rodgers has a chance this year, I would LOVE for it to be a Packer! In order for that to happen, I think Rodgers would need to be in for all 16 games.

engelke

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we have the 1st round bye, i say play 'em (unless certain players could use the rest for injury). i know rest is good, but it always seems like there's a bit of rust with the week off, i definitely dont like the idea of 2 weeks off.

Reaction score
This is why we don't rest our players:
If we win another Super Bowl, and go 15-1, we will just have another championship added to the 13 others. If we go 19-0, not only will we be the first team to do it, but we will also have the longest win streak in NFL history with 26 or something around that. An undefeated season is THE ONLY thing that is missing from this storied franchise. We can not risk to lose this once in a lifetime (and beyond) chance. Nonetheless, we will lose all momentum that we have and our players might become almost "too relaxed" or rusty. Sure, we can rest our starters, but only do it when you have a 4 possession lead going into the 4th quarter.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. To begin, I don't believe the risk of injury in week 16 is any greater than the risk of injury in week 1. I also don't believe you want to play scared, ever. Finally, as the poster above me stated, I want want to see this team make history. No team in NFL History has gone 19-0. I would love to be able to tell my children that I witnessed my favorite team re-write the history books.

I think we can do it too.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I say yes, rest them.

Do you want to be like Bill Belichek and play your starters in the last week, even though you already have everything wrapped up and end up losing a starter? Remember in 2009, they already won the division, and he lost Wes Welker, their #1 weapon because he never rests his starters going into the last game.

The last thing you want is to go into the playoffs with the #1 seed wrapped up already, and lose a bunch of starters.

The Patriots went 18-0 and lost the Super Bowl, I don't want that to be us, but if we are 12-0 or 13-0, those last few games won't matter anymore if the #1 seed is already wrapped up. Playoffs is what matters.

Reaction score
If we rest our starters when we are 15-0 and lose the game, then (god forbid) lose in the playoffs, this whole season would be a failure. If we wen 16-0, we would at least be guaranteed to be remembered for something. Why don't teams just rest there starters in all 4 preseason game? Injury is just as likely and it doesn't even count. If we don't rest our starters and someone gets injured, we move on and the next guy steps up. It's what the motto for this group of Packers has been about since the streak started.

D

Dan115

And if Rodgers were to be injured,Jennings,Mathews,Woodson. The goal is to win the super bowl.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Rodgers were to be injured,Jennings,Mathews,Woodson. The goal is to win the super bowl.

If, if, if, blah, blah, blah. We could lose any of those guys in any one game in any given season. Playing them in week 16 doesn't increase or decrease that risk. We played our starters in week 16 last season and didn't lose anyone. I don't see why this season should be any different. No need to play scared.

I want to win. I want to win every game. I don't want to be the Colts who pack it in the final two games of every season and then see a first round exit. I want perfection. So should every other fan.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Each game is a microcosm of the season. Momentum shifts, ebbs, and flows during the season just as it does during games. The teams that win Super Bowls are the teams that gel at the right time. The Pack peaked at the right time last year (winning 6 straight) -- at the end of the season -- and if we are to win again this year I believe we have to likewise gel at the end of the season. If that is going to happen, it will happen with the starters in all of the games up to, through, and including the post-season. To rest your starters is to destroy the continuity of that momentum.

D

Dan115

I sincerely hope McCarthy has to make this decision later in the season. Playing anyone any time increases the chance of injury. Very few players are injured when they are not playing. They had to play in week 16 last year just to make the playoffs. What is the ultimate goal? Super Bowl. Play the odds. McCarthy may very well start game 16 with all the starters even if The Pack is 16-0. Will they play the entire game?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I want to win a Super Bowl, I don't care about going undefeated.

New England tried it and they LOST the Super Bowl, nice way to be remembered.

If you're 13-0 and have everything wrapped up, start resting the starters instead of risking losing a key one. Last thing we need is to go into the playoffs missing keys to the team. The playoffs is what matters after you catch the #1 seed. That is ALL that matters. If they lose in the regular season, the world is not going to end, if they lose in the playoffs, it's over. You can think of going into the playoffs undefeated and riding the W's to the Super Bowl, but you never know with the playoffs. Those teams are there for a reason.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say play a half and then sit them. At least Rodgers anyway. Flynn can hold his own and there are enough receivers to keep them out there.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
Is the question will Mike McCarthy rest the starters? The answer: No. Remember in preseason when we made the game go longer than it had to be because McCarthy wanted to win? If we are undefeated going into week 15 or 16, McCarthy isn't going to want to break that habit.

D

Dan115

This is wonderful that Packer Backers can have this debate. We are very fortunate this season to have this great ride with OUR TEAM. JUST WIN BABY!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Rotate them in like crazy. Make players that have been on the bench mix with the starters to prepare them for the real game. We got lion aars to sweep. If a player is injured rest him. If we can catch a perfect season who won't think the packers are the best ever. The farve vs rodgers debate would be settled. and its not like we don't know how to over come injuries.

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a guy that would rather see them not rested if we have a shot at going 16-0. But if McCarthy decides to rest them, he should still think about playing them for at least one quarter, if not one half. I don't want to my starters having 3, maybe 4 weeks of rest without any live action.

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bogart, you should remember one thing about the 18-1 Patriots: They got caught cheating, and couldn't watch the Giant's practices and whatnot. That is why they lost. Since then they haven't been to a Super Bowl. Imagine that.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throw me into the group that wants a 16-0 regular season record. But that aside, the only thing I worry about is rust. If McCarthy decides to rest them, I support the decision. However, if he does decide to go this route, I can see them possibly resting starters after the half. I have full confidence in Flynn.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
NE lost the SB since they were a one trick pony on offense and were shut down by a rabid Giants d line in the SB. They did not lose because they did not rest starters. Neither the Giants or Pats had a thing to play for in that final week of the regular season either with their playoff seeds locked up. So, basically the Giants didn't have to play starters in that game either....but they did. I think they even lost their center in that final regular season game vs. NE for the WC round but I can't confirm it. In 2009 the Pats did lose Welker in the final game but lets be honest, that was no SB team for the Pats that year.

The Colts lost Dwight Freeney in the AFCCG in 2009 (and barely had him in the SB on one leg) even though they rested to avoid injuries and lost their #2 CB in the divisional round vs. Baltimore. Injuries can happen at ANY TIME.

If you pull healthy players in front of your own fans lose a game or two and give up history you will regret it forever. Mark.My.Words. It is just bad bad karma. You take away from your players what they have been doing all year; trying to win games. If they lose a game in the final two weeks due to pulling Aaron or key starters it will hurt you guys even if you are pro resting. I was pro resting as well at one time way back, but that week 16 vs. the Jets ripped out a piece of my heart and many others. Do you guys remember the looks on the faces of veterans like Manning/Clark/Saturday etc? They looked so sad watching the season they worked so hard for slip away as they sat their healthy.....Manning begged everyone to go back out there. He begged our OC Moore at the time. The crowd chanted we want Peyton and booed.

Horrible horrible experience for the fans and caused a media storm that was debated for a few weeks and caused even more distraction then going 16-0 would have. It got so bad Manning had to call a players only meeting leading up to the playoffs. Jeff Saturday admitted he broke his tv later that night when he went home. Sure the Colts may have still lost to the Saints, not the point here. If they lost trying they lost trying.

Don't rest healthy players. Just don't do it. The Colts have rested starters time and time again and won a SB the one season they didn't have to and went into the playoffs with momentum.
BTW the schedule ends well for the Pack. And tough. Ending with the Bears and Lions at home means you won't end with cupcakes. You will have the shot to keep them both out of the playoffs potentially too, or one of them. You won't go into the playoffs/bye week soft.

Someone else mentioned how McCarthy delt with the end of the preseason game to the Colts. Does this sound like a man who may tank a perfect season? I doubt it. I certainly hope not too. I think he will listen to his players more then the Colts did.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20110...ory#menu=highlights&tab=recap&recap=fullstory
"I understand the mind-set of kicking the extra point and going home a little healthier, but that's a terrible message
to send to your team," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think just the way our team reacted on the sideline tells you about what we came here to do -- we came here to win games."

Sorry for the long rant/post. This is a subject that is dear to my heart. I would love to see GB go 19-0, love it. Love to see a team I like do it all. They would have a shot to go down as the best of all time!!! Back to back champs with the second season being perfect? Good God......that is incredible stuff. Still 16-0 may not happen yet but like Aaron Rodgers said "There are no meaningless games." It is entirely possible the Packers could build a lead in the final few games and have Flynn hold onto it though. But, I would rather see Rodgers end the game to go to 16-0 if that situation arrived even if he is just handing the ball off.

BTW the Colts let the Jets in 2009 in the playoffs. The Jets of all teams! The Colts are responsible for that crap which resulted in back to back AFC title games for them. Even better.....the Jets beat us a year later in the playoffs. How ironic to me would it be if the Packers ended up 19-0 in the stadium the Colts called it quits in........and to go 16-0 vs. the Lions who were the first team to go 0-16?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Damn-You-Kong Duh comes back with the Lions, then rest the starters and let the back-ups get kicked, stomped on, and their helmets ripped off by that monster as he grabs their heads throwing them to the ground.
Better the back ups than the starters.
Kidding! Just kidding!

Get the Pack into a very good lead then rest them and bring them back out if the other team is starting to catch up.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I say yes, rest them.

Do you want to be like Bill Belichek and play your starters in the last week, even though you already have everything wrapped up and end up losing a starter? Remember in 2009, they already won the division, and he lost Wes Welker, their #1 weapon because he never rests his starters going into the last game.

The last thing you want is to go into the playoffs with the #1 seed wrapped up already, and lose a bunch of starters.

The Patriots went 18-0 and lost the Super Bowl, I don't want that to be us, but if we are 12-0 or 13-0, those last few games won't matter anymore if the #1 seed is already wrapped up. Playoffs is what matters.
Bogy,
Colts rested thier starters for two games, Do they have a ring to show for it? There are Pro's and Con's but my gut says Big Mac is not the kind of guy to leave a place in history on the table. He likes tempo and if you rest your starters you lose that feel, especially with a bye week on top of it. Leaving your starters out of a game situation for almost 4 weeks and then expecting this Offense that is based on precision timeing and tempo just to jump right back into it. I feel he goes at a full steam run into the playoffs.

Worked pretty good last year.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If Damn-You-Kong Duh comes back with the Lions, then rest the starters and let the back-ups get kicked, stomped on, and their helmets ripped off by that monster as he grabs their heads throwing them to the ground.
Better the back ups than the starters.
Kidding! Just kidding!
Get the Pack into a very good lead then rest them and bring them back out if the other team is starting to catch up.
What better way to go into the playoffs then by having the starters blow out the Lions?
BTW do you really want to see Flynn the one to complete the game to be 16-0 over Rodgers? Seems wrong to me. I mean of course the Pack could lose a game before the final 2 but I doubt it at this point. I truly doubt it. Someone someday is gonna do it and Mercury Morris already seems like he is starting to concede defeat to me and getting ready to raise his glass to toast GB as #2 in his neighborhood.

It's possible that the Packers could end up 14-0 and they could build a good enough lead to put Flynn in for a while. Still I would put Aaron back out there in the end to complete 16-0 if that is the situation. The Packers are great at building a lead and holding onto it.

Overall I understand the concept of resting to avoid injury but I have never seen proof it helps a team win a SB more either. 2005 was maybe the best Colts team I ever saw and they ended up over resting for a few weeks to the point it took them near a half IMO to get in sync in the divisional round against a strong Steelers team who ended up going on to win the SB. The comeback was a bit too late and the organization IMO blew it. That was an offensive heavy team and I often think over resting when you rely heavily on offense and timing is a bad idea.

I see more proof in going into the playoffs on a high note then a low note working. And yes if a player gets hurt there is going to be a "I told you so" mentality but at the same time the risk of injury is always there no matter what. Playing to avoid injury sometimes increases the chances for injury IMO.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say play all 16 games going into the playoffs, Deon sanders said on NFL network he has seen it dozens of times. People rest their starters and when they do that, they take their foot off the gas. Once you've taken your feet of the gas it's very difficult to get that momentum back and we are going to need all the momentum we can get going into the playoffs.

Just think of it as a double bye week, we all know bye weeks are not good, why would you want two consecutive bye weeks?

Do you want a repeat of the Chargers earlier on in the year?
defense giving up 38 points?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I say play all 16 games going into the playoffs, Deon sanders said on NFL network he has seen it dozens of times. People rest their starters and when they do that, they take their foot off the gas. Once you've taken your feet of the gas it's very difficult to get that momentum back .....

My feelings too. Unfortunately, injuries happen and are part of the game...hopefully it wouldn't happen but if it did, I'd not be one of those questioning McCarthy for "keeping the foot on the gas..." ... and I really do not give two shites about an undefeated season...I really don't. My eye is on the prize...