Should the Packers Consider trading for Isabella

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With no Lazard and Davante a bit banged up we don't have much depth at WR I also don't feel entirely comfortable with MVS as our WR2 considering his history of drops.

Looking at possible trade targets the one that stuck out to me the most was Andy Isabella from the Cardinals the guy has been a playmaker when on the field he has a 82.5 PFF grade so far this year.
However he only played 15% of snaps last year and only 24% this year because he is behind Dhop, Christian Kirk and Larry Fitzgerald on the depth chart.

I think considering the depth they have at WR they may be willing to trade Isabella and that he could be a playmaker right away for us.

I myself would be very interested in trying to get him for 4th or 3rd round pick if we could pull it off.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Isabella a lot as a draft pick for GB.
It seems pretty clear, though, that LaFleur doesn't like smaller slot receivers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It seems pretty clear, though, that LaFleur doesn't like smaller slot receivers.

I wonder if that is more Gute than it is MLF? After all, Gute is the one that went out and drafted 3 NBA sized WR's his first draft and snagged Lazard off the Jags Practice squad.

Personally, I love the tall, bigger bodied guys that can go up and get a contested ball. However, I think you need to balance that with smaller quick guys, that are really good at playing in the slot/inside the numbers. Adams can fill that role, but I prefer him and Lazard playing more outside. Cobb was the guy that I view as your ideal slot receiver and still think it was somewhat of a mistake to let him walk away. At least walk away without putting some resources into the position to replace what he did.

I will say though, that MLF probably likes a bigger guy like Lazard due to his run blocking skills being pretty decent.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It would be really surprising to me for the Cardinals to be interested in moving on from such a high draft pick when he’s 23, in his 2nd seasons and just starting to produce.

I’m not criticizing the interest in him, but I personally doubt that’s he’s a real option.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Shepherd appears to have passed Malik Taylor in line to fill the hole.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the thing folks always forget to consider is the team the player is on and whether they are in the mode or position to desire to move a player. I don't see the Cardinals in any way desiring to move him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With no Lazard and Davante a bit banged up we don't have much depth at WR I also don't feel entirely comfortable with MVS as our WR2 considering his history of drops.

Looking at possible trade targets the one that stuck out to me the most was Andy Isabella from the Cardinals the guy has been a playmaker when on the field he has a 82.5 PFF grade so far this year.
However he only played 15% of snaps last year and only 24% this year because he is behind Dhop, Christian Kirk and Larry Fitzgerald on the depth chart.

I think considering the depth they have at WR they may be willing to trade Isabella and that he could be a playmaker right away for us.

I myself would be very interested in trying to get him for 4th or 3rd round pick if we could pull it off.

If they can get him for that they should but I don't think cardinals gonna trade him

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'd rather keep the picks and see what we have in Shep. Obviously, if he looks like he's over his head again tonight it's a different story. The falcons secondary looks horrible, if our WR's can't do anything against them then that's a massive red flag.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'd rather keep the picks and see what we have in Shep. Obviously, if he looks like he's over his head again tonight it's a different story. The falcons secondary looks horrible, if our WR's can't do anything against them then that's a massive red flag.

Shep is no good man I was at that detroit game last year where he dropped that td which turned into an interception...one of those plays where you know the guy just isn't the one.

I'm hoping they elevate robert foster from the practice squad. Having speed on both sides Mvs and foster would probably force them into a lot of cover 2 leaving the underneath/ intermediate middle open for the backs and tight ends

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shep is no good man I was at that detroit game last year where he dropped that td which turned into an interception...one of those plays where you know the guy just isn't the one.

I'm hoping they elevate robert foster from the practice squad. Having speed on both sides Mvs and foster would probably force them into a lot of cover 2 leaving the underneath/ intermediate middle open for the backs and tight ends
I don't know why people keep saying that about that play. Look at it again. He slipped on a slippery field right at the wrong time.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why people keep saying that about that play. Look at it again. He slipped on a slippery field right at the wrong time.

Never watched the replay only live and it was just terrible...can't happen in that spot doesn't happen to anyone who's not just a guy

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe the Eagles will trade Travis Fulgham back to us? :whistling:

He had 2 catches for 57 yards and a TD last night. Besides MVS, that is more career catches, yards and TD's than everyone else that will be suiting up at WR tonight for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yet he was immediately demoted to the PS and didn't make the Packer initial 53 this season either. I like your optimism, but it wasn't just that 1 play that has me questioning his abilities or lack of.

When you have a QB like Aaron Rodgers, I think it can make a GM and coach a bit more complacent in the receiving position. Let's face it #12 has the talent to be able to make a receiver probably look better than they actually are. Whereas players like Davante Adams, Jordy and Cobb, were really solid players because of their talents coupled with Rodger's abilities.

I hope I am wrong, but until another one of these "hopeful WR's" either consistently gets better in Green Bay or leaves Green Bay and becomes a consistent starter, I am sticking to my theory. Right now, Lazard is/was on the cusp of proving me .....somewhat wrong.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, Gute is going to have to make a move for a veteran wide receiver, with this week being the best and most likely time to do so. Maybe he doesn't, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't try, and that maybe it ended up being that he did try but either the cost was too high or the guy he wanted wasn't available.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO, Gute is going to have to make a move for a veteran wide receiver, with this week being the best and most likely time to do so. Maybe he doesn't, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't try, and that maybe it ended up being that he did try but either the cost was too high or the guy he wanted wasn't available.

Honestly, it wouldn't take much to improve this WR group from #3 down. Tonight we have MVS as our #1 and the rest are guys who have what, 1 career catch for 1 yd among them?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers were in the middle of a 1-2 season and not looking particulary well in doing it, I could care less about WR and would say "lets play it out and see how these young guys do and address it in Free Agency and the Draft". However, the Packers are 3-0 and have lost their top 2 WR's. People are going to point to the fact that there is more to this offense than just Adams and Lazard and I agree, to some extent. There could be even more to this offense with better receivers and do we really think that Jones will be healthy all season?

Tonight might answer some questions for the Packers and give them their homework for the bye week. After tonight what might be on Gute's shopping list? WR? DL? ILB? or just move forward with the hand he was dealt?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers were in the middle of a 1-2 season and not looking particulary well in doing it, I could care less about WR and would say "lets play it out and see how these young guys do and address it in Free Agency and the Draft". However, the Packers are 3-0 and have lost their top 2 WR's. People are going to point to the fact that there is more to this offense than just Adams and Lazard and I agree, to some extent. There could be even more to this offense with better receivers and do we really think that Jones will be healthy all season?

Tonight might answer some questions for the Packers and give them their homework for the bye week. After tonight what might be on Gute's shopping list? WR? DL? ILB? or just move forward with the hand he was dealt?

This pretty much sums it up for me. I can't see, even without further injuries to the group, a contending team such as this moving forward with this many question marks at wide receiver.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given MLF and his offensive system, I'm vastly more concerned with DL assistance for Clark hoenstly...I'm equally concerned about ILB as I am WR presently....another injury though or failure of others to at minimum be place holders this could change.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This pretty much sums it up for me. I can't see, even without further injuries to the group, a contending team such as this moving forward with this many question marks at wide receiver.

Agree. While the 49'ers didn't win the Super Bowl, they had a hell of a team last season and that didn't stop them from adding Emmanuel Sanders before the trade deadline and with a 6-0 record.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Given MLF and his offensive system, I'm vastly more concerned with DL assistance for Clark hoenstly...I'm equally concerned about ILB as I am WR presently....another injury though or failure of others to at minimum be place holders this could change.

I agree the defense at DL and ILB is also a concern and Gute probably doesn't have enough rounds in the chamber to address all 3 positions of concern. I'm actually more concerned about ILB than I am DL, once Clark is back. I also think the defense is better than most of us think that it is and the offense might not be as good as it has been the last 3 weeks as injuries mount, teams see film and we face better defenses.

As I said in another post, tonight might give Gute and the Packers some answers as to what he should be doing in regards to acquiring players to improve upon what he already has. He might have to pick his poison though: Tweak the offense to be able to outscore the other teams on a particular bad day for our defense or Tweak the Defense to try and shutdown other teams offenses when ours isn't having a good day.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, it wouldn't take much to improve this WR group from #3 down. Tonight we have MVS as our #1 and the rest are guys who have what, 1 career catch for 1 yd among them?

4 of the top 5 are either out, or opted out.

Any team that has that happen isn't going to be sending out a great WR crew.

Good thing GB has invested at TE, and RB, bc LaFleur's offense really only needs 3-4 WR's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 of the top 5 are either out, or opted out.

Any team that has that happen isn't going to be sending out a great WR crew.

Good thing GB has invested at TE, and RB, bc LaFleur's offense really only needs 3-4 WR's.

I was arguing the same with the number three...but you are 100% right, did not factor Funchess opting out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was arguing the same with the number three...but you are 100% right, did not factor Funchess opting out.

That definitely didn't help and IMO at that moment, Gute should have made a move. What bothers me now, is our top 2 guys go down, there are still FA's like Taylor Gabriel and Paul Richardson out there that are "free" to sign and we are bringing guys up from the Practice Squad? Now maybe a Taylor Gabriel isn't an instant upgrade because it will take him some time to catch on with the offense and Rodgers, but come December and the Playoffs, I would much rather see him on the field VS. a guy that has little or no experience in the NFL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That definitely didn't help and IMO at that moment, Gute should have made a move. What bothers me now, is our top 2 guys go down, there are still FA's like Taylor Gabriel and Paul Richardson out there that are "free" to sign and we are bringing guys up from the Practice Squad? Now maybe a Taylor Gabriel isn't an instant upgrade because it will take him some time to catch on with the offense and Rodgers, but come December and the Playoffs, I would much rather see him on the field VS. a guy that has little or no experience in the NFL.

Honestly when he opted I really started thinking Gabriel was coming over.

Members online

Latest posts