should college athletes be paid?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should receive $ in proportion to the money that their sport brings in. It wouldn't be much, maybe a grand or so per month. It should be the same for all players at all colleges based on the division they are in.

My big idea is to open the draft up to all college players, even freshman. The stickler is that they still need to stay in school till after their senior year. The team that drafts them starts paying them $5k per month while they are in school. Maybe they attend a special 1 week OTA each year at team facilities. The idea here is to keep these kids in school; help them while in school and perhaps take away from the cheating; provide a better player by having an NFL coach giving these kids pointers during their formative early college years. This would make the draft even more interesting and complex. Do you pick a good guy who can help you now or someone who may be a superstar in 3 years?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't they already get paid..."Scholarships"?

what about when players are told to change majors so that it doesnt interfere with football?

And do you think Cam Newton was worth, lets be generous, $40,000 to Auburn this year? Or was he worth more? The over hundred million dollars that Auburn made, was he only worth the 40k?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of these kids, at 17, are signing their likeness, image, ect over to the university, "Forever and throughout the universe" which is the exact language used in a certain contract. I wouldnt do that for a scholarship reguardless of if I had to play football or not.

You have the school selling the players image to video games so they make money off of the player without the player getting anything. And Im not only talking about while they are in school, im talking 5, 10, 15 years down the road.

Tyrone Prothro was a great WR at Alabama before he got injured on this play, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbvx5DYS6tE&feature=related]YouTube - Alabama Receiver Tyrone Prothro Snaps Leg[/ame]

but before he broke his leg, he made this play.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53imC4zojfc]YouTube - Prothro's Catch[/ame]

And now every time someone like ESPN, NBC, CBS, ect wants to use it they have to pay a small fee. Should the player get any of that? I mean its his body he put on the line and his career that went up in smoke on the field.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
And now every time someone like ESPN, NBC, CBS, ect wants to use it they have to pay a small fee. Should the player get any of that? I mean its his body he put on the line and his career that went up in smoke on the field.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this the same argument the professional players are making? (hope I'm not opening up a whole new can of worms here)

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
what about when players are told to change majors so that it doesnt interfere with football?

And do you think Cam Newton was worth, lets be generous, $40,000 to Auburn this year? Or was he worth more? The over hundred million dollars that Auburn made, was he only worth the 40k?

The school is still their vehicle to obtaining their goal. If they think they're being ripped off by the university, maybe they should try professional football straight out of high school.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should they get paid? Absolutely not. They're not performing jobs, and as such, shouldn't be compensated. Moreso, their scolarship is a payment in itself.

However, is it a big deal that they do get paid? No. Let's grow up and stop with the hypocrisy. It's not a big deal, it doesn't hurt anyone other than some misled sense of morale and ethics. This is not 1950's anymore. 20 year old kids don't go by with just 10 bucks and a bar of chocolate. Most of these kids don't have parents that can afford their livelihood, and the schools make tons of money with these players.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF anyone here gets hbo they should watch this weeks real sports as they devote an entire hour to the topic.

Its sad really that the universities use these kids as marketing tools and refuse to give them the $ they deserve. When programs like Texas who made $65 million tax free in 2008 I have an issue with it.

I dont know if there is a clear solution for this but it would be nice to see the universities not own the images of the "students" after they leave the school. Maybe attach 100k per football player upon graduation.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The school is still their vehicle to obtaining their goal. If they think they're being ripped off by the university, maybe they should try professional football straight out of high school.

Ask Maurice Clarrett about that. He sued the NFL in 2004 in order to by pass the NFL age requirement and he was still in college.

The NFL does not allow players to jump from hs to pro.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask Maurice Clarrett about that. He sued the NFL in 2004 in order to by pass the NFL age requirement and he was still in college.

The NFL does not allow players to jump from hs to pro.
Which I absolutely agree with.

I'm even bothered by the fact that college kids can go to the NFL without having their diploma...

It's much worse in soccer...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which I absolutely agree with.

I'm even bothered by the fact that college kids can go to the NFL without having their diploma...

It's much worse in soccer...
Many professions don't require a diploma, why should the NFL? Most likely to be drafted kids drop out right after the season and begin training for the combine. And I don't blame them a bit. The are working for a payday, and every spot in the draft is worth thousands in signing bonus money.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many professions don't require a diploma, why should the NFL? Most likely to be drafted kids drop out right after the season and begin training for the combine. And I don't blame them a bit. The are working for a payday, and every spot in the draft is worth thousands in signing bonus money.
You haven't seen the condition soccer players are after their careers.
You think the NFL alumni are in bad shape? You have no idea.

Even if some geek did all the homework for them, at least they got some education. Most of them have some notion how to handle their financial health.

90% of soccer players have no idea, and a lot of them end up broke after some years out of the business.

It's a great system what america has. Draft is a great thing, players having to go through college.

Take it from someone who has seen both sides.

Reaction score
Most of these kids, at 17, are signing their likeness, image, ect over to the university, "Forever and throughout the universe" which is the exact language used in a certain contract. I wouldnt do that for a scholarship reguardless of if I had to play football or not.

You have the school selling the players image to video games so they make money off of the player without the player getting anything. And Im not only talking about while they are in school, im talking 5, 10, 15 years down the road.

Tyrone Prothro was a great WR at Alabama before he got injured on this play, YouTube - Alabama Receiver Tyrone Prothro Snaps Leg

but before he broke his leg, he made this play.
YouTube - Prothro's Catch

And now every time someone like ESPN, NBC, CBS, ect wants to use it they have to pay a small fee. Should the player get any of that? I mean its his body he put on the line and his career that went up in smoke on the field.

I'd put my body on the line if I could just get put out on the field.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put my body on the line if I could just get put out on the field.

but would you be ok with them making $ off your imagine 10 years after you were done playing?

This seemed to be a big issue for the fab 5, according to Jalen. Seeing Nike make millions off of your image while they struggled to pay for gas for their POS car.

Reaction score
but would you be ok with them making $ off your imagine 10 years after you were done playing?

This seemed to be a big issue for the fab 5, according to Jalen. Seeing Nike make millions off of your image while they struggled to pay for gas for their POS car.

I pay money just to play sports. I wouldn't care if they profited off my performance because I play it for the love of the game. There are more things important than making money. Plus they get to live on campus, free schooling, and they get to eat with the team just to play the sport that they love. Wow that's ******* them. While they are getting everything for free, others are putting in student loans and paying them off till they are 50.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pay money just to play sports. I wouldn't care if they profited off my performance because I play it for the love of the game. There are more things important than making money. Plus they get to live on campus, free schooling, and they get to eat with the team just to play the sport that they love. Wow that's ******* them. While they are getting everything for free, others are putting in student loans and paying them off till they are 50.

If your paying off your school loan until your 50 your an idiot.

I could never stand making someone else rich while I struggled to put gas in my car that barely runs. Maybe you could, but I personally dont like being taken advantage of.

I know a story of a very big time college player in the 2000s who the week before a major bowl game couldnt afford to fly home to the funeral of his best friend and cried when he realized the cost of 1 of his jerseys the school was selling would pay for that plane ticket. (under ncaa rules the school could have covered the ticket but didnt consider it a family emergency and the player in question refused to take money under the table)

Yes their are exceptions to the student athlete where they go out and are able to perform at a high level on the field and off but most cant due to time restrictions and "non mandatory" camps. This is reflected in the graduation rate in big time mens college football programs like Texas (29%), USC (52%), Alabama (47%), Florida (42%).

Offering $ (lets say 100k) upon completion of your degree would increase these rates I believe and better these young men who so often dont make a successful transition from being a college athlete.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
In a sense the players are being paid by way of scholarship, but I think the education is (or should be) the quid pro quo for their playing. I don't think that players should be paid in cash, but I think that the college should provide each player with an education, and not just a paper one, but one that will enable and empower them to earn a living after football. It should not matter how long it takes, or what the college has to provide in the way of tutors, room, board, tuition, etc. if that player fulfilled his responsibility and contributed to the college making money he should be entitled to an education that will equip him to be self-sufficient.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts