Should Brett have stayed "quiet"

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Friday, May 06, 2005
Posted 7:49 AM

Should Favre have made comments about Walker?

Most people have heard about and read the stories taking Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre to task for his admonishment of wide receiver Javon Walker's holdout. It all started, of course, with a story by our own columnist Chris Havel on Tuesday, in which Favre went as far as saying he'd rather go without Walker if that's the way it's going to be and that the Packers can win without him. Around the country, the media has been running stories about Favre's comments and other players' reactions to it. Former teammate Darren Sharper, who now plays for the Minnesota Vikings, said Favre was out of line (read more on SI.com), while current Packers' center Mike Flanagan went on a national radio show Wednesday to join Favre in disapproving of Walker's holdout (read more on Scout.com).

So -- what do you think? Was it any of Favre's business to comment about Walker's contract status? If Walker comes back, will Favre's comments have any effect on Walker's game-day performance? Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] (Put the words "Walker/Favre dispute" in the Subject line). I'll publish some of your comments in my What They're Saying Weblog.

Your comments:--
From KJResch: "Brett is right on, he's old school and the leader of this team. Javon has 2 years left on his deal, he's part of agreement and he should honor it. In any other job, if you didn't come to work because you want more money, your place of employment would say "see ya". I think Javon's a good kid who is just listening to his slime agent who should ALL be run out of town. As for Sharper, Brett's going to the Hall of Fame, he's going now where, typical big mouth Viking."

-- From M Voigtlander, Cpl USMC Afghanistan: "Brett is 100% correct in his ways. He is the leader of the team and essentially the face of the NFL. His opinion should matter to everyone, EVEN DARREN SHARPER.
Javon should honor his contract, that is why he signed it. I'm sure that no where in his contract it says, "If, however, I have ONE breakout season, I can hold out for more money." If it did then he's fine with what he is doing. But since it does not he should honor it. Brett is
also right about winning without him. The Packers have plenty of other backups that can take the spot Javon has filled and fill it with good results. The best part though of his comments was "just because a player has ONE good season, he thinks he deserves more money." Look at Brett, he has had 14 great years, hall of fame years at that, and he has not held out over money. Javon WILL NOT be a hall of famer. Maybe a Packer Hall of Famer if he gets his head out of the clouds and realizes whats best for the team. Javon listen to Brett and do what's right, play out your contract and if you have two more good seasons then you deserve more money."

-- From Jeanne Radlet, Vero Beach, FL: "I agree with Favre completely, while I don't know the details of his first contract with Green Bay, I highly doubt it was worth 10's of millions of dollars. He was very justly rewarded later as Javon Walker would be in time. Walker signed a contract for more money than the rest of the world will ever get a chance at, and if he can't wait a year -- that's right, a year for the really BIG bucks, (cause the Packers HAVE restructured contracts with only 1 year left), then let him sit out and watch the Pack and every other team play this year. He can sit next to T.O. at the same time. A contract, is a contract, is a contract. HONOR IT!"

-- From Al Elliott Juneau, Alaska: "You betcha, Brett has every right to comment on a selfish player that will not honor his contract. Look at how Brett deals with his contract. Do you think a lot of these one year wonders would restructure their contracts to give the Packers some wiggle room so they could pay another player the bucks to sign or keep them? I doubt it. But Brett has done that -- for the TEAM!! IF Walker comes back (and I don't care if he does) and he has another break-out year, surpasses last year's totals, goes to the pro bowl then I would say the GB GM should think about reworking his contract. What's with that LAME statement he made about not wanting the Packers to do to him what they did with Bubba. I think Bubba will get a raise the way it works out.

As the leader on offense, Brett has every right to admonish his teammates for not living up to their contracts and doing what is best for the team. Let Walker sit out this year and even next year and see where his value is then, but don't let him come back and pull a McKenzie faking a pulled hamstring. If he does come back after sitting out, I'd suspend him for as many games as he sat out. If he sits out 3 games with no pay, I'd suspend him for another 3, with no pay cause he says it's not about they money anyhow. Just my thoughts."

-- From A. Kelley Port Chester, NY: "Brett was wrong to make those comments public about a teammate. When it comes to performance on the field Favre has every right. When it comes to a player's personal issues like his contract any opinions he has should be kept to himself or spoken privately to the player. How would any of us feel if someone who worked with us suddenly made a public comment about our salaries? The first thing any of us would say is that it is none of your business. I wonder if this was a few years ago when Favre was not as financially secure as he is now if he would have made the same comment. Do what other players on teams are doing and keep your specific comments inhouse (McNabb vs Owens for example)."

=============================

Everyone here - including Slick - has the right to email this guy and write in their observations... and opinions - it's "still" a FREE COUNTRY!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
hahahah

I think calling Walker would have been best, what he did I would say is second best and he should follow up with a phone call to Walker.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker spoke to the media first about his holdout, therefore Farve can also use the media to comment. Walker wants to use the media to justify his hold out , there for he can expect everybody else to comment on his position. Apparently Walker and his agent Drew Rosenhuas were not getting anywhere with the Andrew Brandt, Packer's Financial officier in his attempt to get a big pay day with 2 years left on his contract. Hence using the media, a very old tactic used when you are not getting what you want in contract negotiations with a threat of holdout or strike. If they Packers would "cave in" to this, you can be sure more Packer players would be lined up at Andrew Barndt's office door to re-do their contracts to get a big payday. They would be mortgaging the team's Future by backloading player's contracts. This Packer management will not do and have said so many times in the past.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure do hope the Javon Walker holdout ends. Walker signed the contract as a rookie. He did get a 3 million dollar signing bonus. That contract seems to be a bargain for the Packers presently. It take take Javon a couple of years to develop into the fine WR that he presently is. I can not stand Javon Walker's present agent. I wish the Packers could have found a way to settle this contract situation before the holdout started.
Brett has a right to express his opinion. Brett Favre was asked to not attend the last minicamp. The younger QBs need the work. Javon Walker was expected to be at the minicamp.
I see both the Packers GM group and Javon Walker being at fault for this holdout. This is not the same type of situation as Mike McKenzie's holdout. Mike McKenzie already had an excellent contract.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
hahahah

I think calling Walker would have been best, what he did I would say is second best and he should follow up with a phone call to Walker.

no, i'm in support of brett...the uncontested leader of the team speaks out publicly on how ridiculous walker's holdout really is...as the summer goes by, fan and media sentiment will turn against walker, and you'll see this holdout end sooner rather than later--at least thats what i think will happen, and what brett tried to accomplish.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well said. i was just thinking that as much as i like(d) the guy, the longer it goes on the more respsect i lose.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Javon uses the media to speak to people, others use it to speak to him. Sounds fair to me. :)

I think farve has been the backbone of this team for so long he's forgotten that he's just another player and doesn't work in the front office. I would expect a GM or coach to get involved but for another player to spout off outside the locker room is ridiculous.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
rabidgopher04 said:
Javon uses the media to speak to people, others use it to speak to him. Sounds fair to me. :)

I think farve has been the backbone of this team for so long he's forgotten that he's just another player and doesn't work in the front office. I would expect a GM or coach to get involved but for another player to spout off outside the locker room is ridiculous.

yeah i don't see it that way at all.

the only issue i have with Favre are with certain comments he made imparticular. things like "i hope they don't give into him" and "we can win without him"...it's comments like those that will do more harm than good and possibly negate all the wisdom he was trying to impart to Walker in the first place.

but as far as a player speaking out on another players holdout goes...there is no reason that should be considered taboo or off limits in the professional sports world. more players should stand up and act like they got a pair if you ask me.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AG - I'm gonna have to disagree with ya....
I think Brett can win without Walker on the lineup...
Javon not being around isn't gonna make or break our chance to be in the SuperBowl.
It couldn't hurt that he's around... certainly - but it isn't paramount, either!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
AG - I'm gonna have to disagree with ya....
I think Brett can win without Walker on the lineup...
Javon not being around isn't gonna make or break our chance to be in the SuperBowl.
It couldn't hurt that he's around... certainly - but it isn't paramount, either!

maybe i should have worded that better.

i wasn't disagreeing with what he said, i was disagreeing with the fact that he said it. it's comments like those, that might distract a young receiver from the more valuable advice inside Brett's rant. i just thought he would've been more diplomatic and left stuff like that out.

but to be honest...we can win games without Walker. of course. will we advance very far in the post-season without him...assuming we get there? i don't think so.

but what do i know.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AG - Ya gotta quit drinkin' the Kool-Aid....

Packer fan spirit will take them over the top... without fail....
Who knows, we could end up like the 2001 New England Patriots, after the Black Hole Debacle by the Raiders..... LOL

All the way to the SuperBowl..! Brett could truly retire with pride after that, eh?

It could happen!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ehh..im more of an ovaltine man myself.

but we probably shouldn't be talking about this since Javon will be suited up for our first regular season game anyway. i think he'll be at the june minicamp as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts