1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Shields' talks heating up

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by JBlood, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,182
    This makes no sense. We are not privy to the numbers but it's clear the Packers and Shield's agent are in negotiations - IOW the Packers want Shields back. Woodson was at the end of his career and the Packers didn't want him back so their situations are at polar opposites.

This jsonline blog entry says,
    Again we don't know how much was offered but perhaps this rumor makes you feel better? The same story, after reiterating the report/rumor about a contract similar to Tim Jennings' says,
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Shields should be the priority to re-sign but not at ridiculous money and we don't know whether or not that's what Rosenhaus is asking for. IOW Thompson could know what he's doing and still not be able to sign Shields because his demands are ridiculous.

Of course we will comment on every move and non-move Thompson makes. But IMO final conclusions about this offseason should wait until the beginning of TC.

2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Whitner is not getting tagged so he will hit the market.

Would the Packers be better with either :

a.) Tramon, Casey/Hyde/House, Burnett, Whitner
    b.) Tramon, Shields, Burnett, draft pick

3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I know Whitner can play ..a rookie has to. Prove he can play so I'll take the proven guy who is already better then our best safety .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    I feel like these are the days Rodell lives for. Free agency news and, of course, TT and Packers are silent. He can play fantasy football, talk about how X big-name free agent or Woodson would be so much better. Use hindsight at all opportunities. And, most importantly, completely ignore the cap ramifications for making the desired big free agent moves.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Old Old x 1
  5. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +360
    I pick selection A.
    But that's not the way it works in Green Bay.

6. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    Yea ok. I won't even go in on your annoying remarks. Woosah.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. packfan1

packfan1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah...Shields is good, NOT GREAT. I would like him back, but lets not hate on TT for not wanting to pay a GOOD player more than (likely) 7-8 million dollars a year. The Packers will be just fine without Sam Shields if someone wants to OVERPAY. I as a fan am NOT interested in OVERPAYING for GOOD, not GREAT talent. He had what 4 ints? Got hurt in the SF game. Shields tackling I thought did improve last season, but he is also has not been a consistent great tackler either. Yeah he has speed...big deal, he can still be pushed around by the bigger recievers in our division due to his lack of size. 7-8 million TOPS or let him go, do not overpay, period.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    I really wish House would take a giant step up to the next level. He has shown a few flashes of really good, physical man coverage. He also looked very lost in zone coverage. Shields was really the only guy that looked decent in zone this year. His speed allowed him to get where he needed to be. I want to envision Tramon and House playing somewhat like Seattle's corners. ....want to.

9. packfan1

packfan1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    Lets also not forget that draft/develop also lends itself to paying reasonable prices for the talent developed. Who knows what Shields is asking...probably something ridiculous like Revis money.

10. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    Highly doubt it. Rosenhaus is smart not dumb. Shields is the best corner on the team so Tramon Williams money maybe a little more sounds more realistically of what they want. If Williams got his money then why won't Teddy pay shields? Makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Shields has never played at the level Tramon did in 2010

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,548
    If true, that's a d*mn shame.

But hey, we could get as high as a 3rd. round compensation pick for Shields! And another comp pick for Raji! James Jones too!

In fact, if Thompson signs none of our 17 (or whatever the exact number is) unrestricted FAs, the 2015 draft could be a bonanza! :sleep:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    The starting safeties had none last year.

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,548
    In man coverage on the island, I'd take the 2013 Shields over the 2010 Williams. Williams is a smarter, more rounded player at this best, a better tackler and a better zone player, but we haven't seen much of that player the last 3 seasons.

Shields is a top 10 cover corner, or very close to it. I don't think I'd have ever said that about Williams.

We can hope Williams has new life based on how he closed the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Still think TT has an ace up his sleeve. Maybe see what the market offers and best it if it is still in his price range. Similar to Jones a few years back.

16. packfan1

packfan1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17

BINGO. +10

17. packfan1

packfan1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +17
    So Rosenhaus is smart...so what. Doesn't mean Shields is worth the $ he's asking for. Tramon also likely will need to restructure his contract/get extended which will reduce his cap number. There has been much talk of that, so comparing Shields to Tramon's contract really isn't worth a hill of beans for an argument.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +357
    It's not about what he's worth it's about what someone is willing to pay and Rosenhaus is king of getting teams to pay more then they should. Completely agree on Tramon restructuring but I don't think he "needs" to, it would be nice if he did though.

19. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,431
    Tramon has a lot more leverage to avoid a pay cut if we don't sign Shields or another corner. He knows we can't afford to part with both him and Shields.

20. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +357
    The angle to sign him then would be offering him extended financial security for a short term pay cut.

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,646
    Too bad teams can get only four per draft.

22. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I'm watching NFL network in their talking about Sam Shields and it is amazing how Green Bay is not trying to make a better attempt to resign him!

23. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +216
    I don't know what you mean by making a "better attempt." We're going to offer him what we're going to offer him, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Not going to bend over backwards for him. Billboards? Bring in Jay-Z? lolol

24. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I hope Shields does leave. Can't wait to hear ppl complain about how sorry the secondary is next yr! If he does leave please save this thread and post so I can bring it up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,182
    Take a step back and read this post as if you are a neutral observer. Does this look like the post of a Packers fan? The writer hopes a young talented player leaves the team, "can't wait to hear" complaints about how sorry the secondary is next year and apparently can't wait to rub Packers fans' noses in it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Disagree Disagree x 1