Sherrod's season is over

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-daily-links-sherrods-season-officially-ends

“Sherrod is recovering from a severe leg injury — he broke both bones in lower right leg last December — and after spending all season on PUP was able to practice in a limited role the last two weeks,” writes Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

“However, he still was noticeably gimpy at times and is not nearly ready to help the Packers’ short-handed offensive line this season.” The Packers could have used a healthy Sherrod this season, but a half-healthy lineman is of no use. They can only hope he’s ready to play at a high level starting next season.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
If the Packers are going to get any help on the offensive line, it’s not going to be from last year’s first-round pick Derek Sherrod. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers elected to not activate Sherrod from the physically unable to perform list, despite the fact he’s practiced lately. Sherrod suffered a brutal…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny because just yesterday MM was hinting that Sherrod was heading towards being activated:

--- McCarthy added that a decision on Derek Sherrod will be announced Wednesday. The team must activate the second-year tackle or place him on injured reserve. McCarthy said he has talked to general manager Ted Thompson but they have not made a final decision.
"He’s at the point, he’s coming off a major injury where you see progression throughout the week," McCarthy said. "The padded practices is actually what he needs, is probably where he looks the best, it has a chance to loosen up. He just needs more time. I thought he progressed each week and even within the week he got better."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/181077391.html

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I was amazed during the off-season when McCarthy was saying Sherrod would be back this year. That injury was very serious, it very possibly ruined his career. If he can ever have confidence in that leg again, he is still starting from scratch whenever he does suit up.

Injuries suck...this one really hurts because it makes Thompson have to look to the first/second round for a LT again in next year's draft.

Aaron Rodgers is now in the prime of his career, and as good as he is playing, he is not maximizing his potential with this offensive line. I would think O-line will have to be addressed in a significant way this off-season...most likely with multiple picks in the draft.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I was amazed during the off-season when McCarthy was saying Sherrod would be back this year. That injury was very serious, it very possibly ruined his career. If he can ever have confidence in that leg again, he is still starting from scratch whenever he does suit up.

Injuries suck...this one really hurts because it makes Thompson have to look to the first/second round for a LT again in next year's draft.

Aaron Rodgers is now in the prime of his career, and as good as he is playing, he is not maximizing his potential with this offensive line. I would think O-line will have to be addressed in a significant way this off-season...most likely with multiple picks in the draft.

TT has picked tackles # 1 in two drafts. The problem is both are now injured( may have a tough road overcoming those injuries) and I don't think either would have been the bellweather tackle we needed anyway. But he did try to address the tackle situation. As I said in another post he was picking at the end of the first round where the possibilities of getting a stud were more difficult. No question we need more talent on the OL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has picked tackles # 1 in two drafts. The problem is both are now injured( may have a tough road overcoming those injuries) ..... But he did try to address the tackle situation..
I still blame Newhouse for the Sherrod injury, and for causing the loss in Kansas City actually because he was embarrassed by Hali and that ruined Rodgers day, our season, and Sherrod's leg. Damn.

But at least Marshall hasn't gotten hurt like Bulaga did now..... most teams didn't have 3 guys as good as those 3. But we never had a 4th, and it still amazes me that so many fans in here think that Chad Clifton wouldn't be worth a look.... he could be better than the guys on the depth chart now at OT for us.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be really, really disappointed if they haven't even checked on Clifton. Seems like due regard to check on a guy who has been a reliable tackle for us for years and knows the system.

But I'll add a disclaimer to that saying we don't really know all the details on Clifton. He failed his physical in March. Could he even pass one now? Is he even remotely in football shape right now? We just don't know. Still -- you'd think if the team knew something we don't, Rodgers would too, and Rodgers has been advocating to bring him in.

Reaction score
I still blame Newhouse for the Sherrod injury, and for causing the loss in Kansas City actually because he was embarrassed by Hali and that ruined Rodgers day, our season, and Sherrod's leg. Damn.

But at least Marshall hasn't gotten hurt like Bulaga did now..... most teams didn't have 3 guys as good as those 3. But we never had a 4th, and it still amazes me that so many fans in here think that Chad Clifton wouldn't be worth a look.... he could be better than the guys on the depth chart now at OT for us.
I still love how you blame him. Newhouse gets hurt and then Sherrod comes in and gets hurt but its Newhouses fault

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all the injuries Clifton has(he's borderline crippled), I highly doubt he's anywhere near football shape. I'd say he's been doing nothing but resting and rehabbing the back and knees. We're too deep into the season to pick up someone like that IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest, right now I'm thinking I'd almost love it if TT went after a stud young FA O-lineman if there is one? At the least I'd love to see 2 of our first 4 picks this next season be O-Line. We've proven we have "capable" depth almost anywhere else...just going way too thin for O-line. I like Sherrod but I wonder if he'll ever have that "drive" again.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to build your O-line then you need to spend at least 2 picks (2nd-5th round) and pick up 2 more as UDFA's and develop them and see who makes it. Drafting 1 guy and think he is the answer is a dangerous game.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa Bay signed Saints FA and Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks as a free agent.
He's now hurt, on IR, done for the season.

Teddy drafted both Bulaga (2010) and Sherrod (2011) with is first round picks.
They're both hurt, on IR, done for the season.
They guys forced to start now should be backups if not for the 2 catastrophic fluke plays. But those things happen.

Most teams only dress 7 OL per game, maybe 8. Our current starters on the OT positions should be backups there. You can't blame Teddy for not having 8, 9 "starting-caliber" OL.

Interesting to note that there are 3 or 4 (at least) former Packer offensive lineman out there starting for other teams.
The Seahawks have Breno Giacomini starting at OT. Actually Nick McDonald is not starting now but was for New England when they were dealing with injuries. He is now listed as the #1 backup at OG and C for the Patriots.

I forgot but I thought I saw another one on TV a few weeks ago, and of course now Scott Wells is back for the Rams.
Oh yeah, 2009 Teddy draft pick Jamon Meredith was a great pick, but we had to let him go as our OL coach couldn't get him ready. He now is starting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and paving the way for rookie stud Doug Martin and protecting Josh Freeman. He was a journeyman going from us to Buffalo when they snatched him off our practice squad, to Detroit in 2010 and the Giants in 2010, Pittsburgh in 2011, to Tampa Bay this year where he's now started 7 games for the Bucs.

Oh yeah, Daryn Colledge signed a huge deal last year with Arizona and is their best lineman... on a bad OL. As we saw this year when we beat the Cardinals.

I really feel our OL coach Campen is one of the weak links on our main coaching staff.
But it's really injuries to blame for the bad edges now as Bulaga and Sherrod should be our Joe Thomas/Jake Long/Ryan Clady/Joe Staley/Anthony Davis, etc... why is it our guys always hurt and not those guys?

Our two 1st round pick OL are both out crippled, while the 49ers first round OL picks Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Joe Staley remain healthy? Like their LBers Willis & Bowman?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might as well call up Datko and throw him in the mix. Some guys are gamers...especially on the line.

The best line combination right now could be:

LT Newhouse
LG Lang
C Saturday
RG Sitton
RT Datko

Moving Lang made 1 weakness (RT) become 2 weaknesses because EDS was lost at guard.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really feel our OL coach Campen is one of the weak links on our main coaching staff.

But it's really injuries to blame for the bad edges now as Bulaga and Sherrod should be our Joe Thomas/Jake Long/Ryan Clady/Joe Staley/Anthony Davis, etc... why is it our guys always hurt and not those guys?

Our two 1st round pick OL are both out crippled, while the 49ers first round OL picks Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Joe Staley remain healthy? Like their LBers Willis & Bowman?

Exactly, people forget we had a real decent lineup if no injuries happened..

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its also important to keep in mind that Rodgers has done a good job of feeling the pressure from the outside and either stepping up or aside to evade them but when the inside is getting blown up (EDS) he has no where to go but turn his back and run way outside and he can't scan the field for receivers in that situation and we get what happened on Sunday night.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is we've had bad luck at the worst spot. Tackle is not really a spot you can toss a journeyman or rookie into, especially a blind side tackle. It's a spot that no NFL team has depth at. Hence why they've moved Lang there even though every time Lang has moved out to tackle he's been handled pretty well. If it was just one of the guard positions you might be able to slide a replacement level player in there and it not be too glaring.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might as well call up Datko and throw him in the mix. Some guys are gamers...especially on the line.

The best line combination right now could be:

LT Newhouse
LG Lang
C Saturday
RG Sitton
RT Datko

Moving Lang made 1 weakness (RT) become 2 weaknesses because EDS was lost at guard.

Datko starting worries me, and I'm a big fan of his...but you make a good point. Instead of two sub-par spots, moving Lang back would make one obvious weaker spot instead of two.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is blaming Thompson...the guy has invested heavily in the OT position and it just hasn't panned out. Bulaga (is he or isn't he good? I have no idea) will be back at RT next year, but LT is a major question mark. I think we'd have to consider Sherrod a lost cause (not writing him off just saying he can't be counted on as franchise LT anytime soon), Newhouse is more a depth guy, and Datko looked awful in camp/pre-season.

Thompson has to go after this position again in the draft, and center is also a major position of need (EDS obviously is not a starting caliber player). I could see O-line being addressed in the same way defense was last year. With maybe a RB taken as well.

Only thing is this goes against Thompson's draft philosophy...he stepped out of character and went all in for defense in the last draft, would he do another entire draft based purely on need?? I don't know.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And with his season goes my sig campaign for his induction to the starting tackle position next season

H

HardRightEdge

Bulaga (is he or isn't he good? I have no idea...

He's good. Better than good last season. After he was blown up against the Seahawks some fans wrote him off for it. However, other than that one game, he's played decently, just not at the high level of last season. Maybe after seeing Lang out there the last couple of games some folks see what they lost.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts