Sherrod can't pass his physical?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He broke his leg late in the season and it was a nasty break. Neither he nor Quarless were expected to be a part of training camp from the beginning. Reports from this winter/spring were that they might even be PUP candidates but I haven't seen any real updates about their status except that both failed their physicals, which wasn't much of a surprise. I hate to say it but with the Packers depth at TE, Quarless might also get released - although I don't how his contract is setup in terms of how big the hit would be to the Packers.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Big News Datko is playing #2 LT. Never thought he would get cleared medically this year. If he pans out health wise TT got a steal in round 7, Datko is a better pass blocker then Sherrod IMHO.

Headrush

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article explaining that if players are recovering from injury they will sometimes "Fail" their physical so they can be placed on PUP. This allows us to keep them without taking up a roster spot during camp. It buys some time to look at younger guys in camp, while adding a safety factor to the PUP player's recovery and ensuring they're good to go. Its important to note that as soon as a player is cleared medically, meaning they pass their physical, the organization becomes immediately responsible for them financially... so... you dont want a guy aggravating something, then swallowing a roster spot and a salary when he cant play

Its was in Vic Ketchman's discussion on Packers.com this week. I probably butchered his explanation but hopefully you get the point lol

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if he has to sit out the entire season. Remember when Mike Flanagan broke his leg and it took two seasons before he could play again?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if he has to sit out the entire season. Remember when Mike Flanagan broke his leg and it took two seasons before he could play again?

I dont think that is what they are expecting out of him. It was a nasty break but from what I have read indications are that he will still be suiting up some point this year

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Sherrod to dress at all this season.
Ironically, the guy who benefits with the easy starting job (Newhouse) is the guy who kept letting Tamba Hali right around him all day long in KC, and ultimately into Sherrod's leg, grousomely.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading articles this past spring saying how well he was doing and MM thinking he would be ready for camp. Whatever the medical advances, that is a very serious injury. The fact that he is even anywhere near ready to play is incredible.

I wouldn't expect much from Sherrod this season unfortunately...maybe he gets back on the team at some point but no way they put him out there to protect the bling side of the best player in football. They are leaving that to Newhouse and hoping for the best. Marshall doesn't seem particularly confident that he can do the job...but we shall see.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Sherrod can't play this year then I would like to think that TT and MM would have picked up a veteran as a backup or at least used a higher draft pick on an OT. I'm guessing that he will be ready by around the start of the season. As Bagadeez04 stated, I've read multiple articles stating that his rehab was going well. Maybe I'm too optimistic and if there is an injury to the starters TJ Lang kicks out to tackle, but I'd like to think the coaches expect him to be ready as a backup early in the year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sherrod was reported to be on schedule to be ready for the beginning of TC but “…coach Mike McCarthy said in his pre-training camp press conference that Sherrod had suffered “a setback” in the spring, although he did not elaborate.”
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278

If he doesn’t have another setback he’ll be expected to be ready for opening day.

Members online

Latest posts