Sherman's hiring would help Packers

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Jan. 16, 2007
SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

Among those rooting for Mike Sherman to get a head coaching job in the National Football League next season is the Green Bay Packers' front office.

Sherman's hiring would take Green Bay off the hook for the $3.2 million Sherman is to collect from the Packers for the 2007 season, the same he was due them for the '06 season. The Packers gave Sherman a two-year extension while he was the Packers' head coach. He is able to collect that minus whatever he is paid by the NFL club that employs him.

Sherman is the assistant head coach / offense for the Houston Texans. Let's say Houston, knowing he's still getting Packers money, paid him $400,000 for the work he did for the Texans this season. Houston has to pay him enough so the league won't get concerned about Houston not paying a reasonable salary for the position. The $400,000 - or whatever the salary Sherman got from the Texans - then is subtracted from the $3.2 million. So the Packers would end up paying him $2.8 million in that scenario.

But if Sherman gets a head coaching job, the whole $3.2 million could be wiped off the Packers' dead salary ledger, since presumably he would be paid at least that much and probably more.

It appeared to many observers that Sherman had the inside track on the Arizona Cardinals job, but Ken Whisenhunt won in the end. According to "NFL on Fox" reporter John Czarnecki, the Cardinals "backed away" from Sherman's "asking price of $4 million a season." Arizona preferred Whisenhunt's price, $2.5 million a season.
Advertisement

Buy a link here

If Sherman finished second in the Cardinals' head coaching sweepstakes, it's the second time that's happened to him since he left Green Bay. He finished behind **** Jauron when the Buffalo Bills were looking to replace Mike Mularkey last off-season.

Sherman is not among the finalists in Pittsburgh.

That leaves the Oakland Raiders and the Miami Dolphins as the remaining NFL teams without head coaches.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL....this reporter cracks me up..

He says this

"But if Sherman gets a head coaching job, the whole $3.2 million could be wiped off the Packers' dead salary ledger, since presumably he would be paid at least that much and probably more."

Then follows that up with this..

It appeared to many observers that Sherman had the inside track on the Arizona Cardinals job, but Ken Whisenhunt won in the end. According to "NFL on Fox" reporter John Czarnecki, the Cardinals "backed away" from Sherman's "asking price of $4 million a season."

~~~

So which is it Bob..Sherman could get at least 3.2 and prob more, but cant get it form Arizona?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LOL....this reporter cracks me up..

He says this

"But if Sherman gets a head coaching job, the whole $3.2 million could be wiped off the Packers' dead salary ledger, since presumably he would be paid at least that much and probably more."

Then follows that up with this..

It appeared to many observers that Sherman had the inside track on the Arizona Cardinals job, but Ken Whisenhunt won in the end. According to "NFL on Fox" reporter John Czarnecki, the Cardinals "backed away" from Sherman's "asking price of $4 million a season."

~~~

So which is it Bob..Sherman could get at least 3.2 and prob more, but cant get it form Arizona?

The Bidwells are notorious for being cheap. And, Sherman isn't worth 4 million a year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When and if they laughed at his 4 million request, didnt he or his agent say lets get to a middle ground..Or did Mike and his agent just say its 4 or nothing..

I sure hope he didnt say its 4 or nothing..Cuz from reports I seen that is what Bill Cowher was getting in his last season..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If he signs with another team as HC he doesn't get the 3.2 million so I guess I can see them asking for 4 million now. He's getting 3.2 plus what the Texans are paying.

Sign as a HC for say 2.5 million, well, that's a lot of work to be a HC an he's making 1.7 million less PLUS whatever the Texans are paying him.

Kind of like when you quit a job making 10 bucks an hour and get offers for jobs at 8-9 but dont feel its worth your time.

edit, haha imagine this.
Ted had this planned all the long when he gave Sherman that contract. Why? To keep Sherman out of the NFL for two years as a HC so his current coach wouldnt' have the pressure of the media an whoever else saying "Shermans team is 4 - 1 and McCarthy is 1 - 4, do you think you made the right choice?"
haha its dumb but fun :)

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how high Sherman's opinion of himself is asking for 4 mil a season.

There were 10 HCing openings last season and Sherman couldn't land one.

Members online

Latest posts