1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Sharper runs his mouth again

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rabidgopher04, Aug 21, 2005.

1. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Taken from the Minneapolis Star Tribune

Maybe Favre was speaking more of the team situation, not Walker's contract. That's ok. I'm sure Sharper thinks he's going to be all awesome this year on D like he thought last year too. :lol:

2. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    This looks to me like another media twist to create a story. Nothing he said was all that controversial or earthshattering. He's happy in MN...fine, that's not really a knock against the Packers.

He says last year was a bit gloomy...not many aruged that after their 1-4 start.

It was his opinion that Brett should have shut his mouth, well, he's not the only one. I dunno...I just don't see anything too malicious or controversial in his quotes.

3. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I just hope that the first game against the Vikes,is on national coverage.I would hate to miss that game.

4. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Sharper could run his legs anywhere near as well as he runs his mouth he would be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Having said that, I agree with musccy, there was not much in this article that was new or particularly controversial.

5. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    100% right on this one Bruce, and maybe a lot of guys would hold a good chance to be Coach or GM fot he Packers !!!! :twisted:

6. NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

This statement speaks volumes about the difference between TRUE leaders like Reggie White and Leroy Butler, and a "paper tiger" like Sharper. Whereas Reggie and Leroy would be the first to "light a fire" under teammates suffering from self pity or malaise, Sharper was more concerned with having fun. It's becoming more and more apparent why our defense was like a rudderless ship last year.

7. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree just like what ESPN did with Favre

8. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    My one hope for Sharper this season is that he plays as well for the Queens as he played for us. In other words, I hope he continues to miss tackles and miss assignments. He was certainly noted for that most of his career in Green Bay.

9. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sharper in his glory - talking.

10. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to laugh out loud when Sharper mis tackles Green this year! Hopefully he won't be on the IR by the time GB plays them.

11. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a reprise (a rough draft) of an article that I wrote back in June (that got picked up by a couple of National venues under the byline Bruce Smith)

The Darren Sharper I will miss...

12. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Bruce, that's a great post. You really hit it right on the head.

13. Bruce

Bruce Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks packedhouse. BTW I fixed the pictures -- sorry I just grabbed this draft from an old file that does not work in this format. You should be able to see them now.

14. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Did anyone watch the Vikes game, Jets first touchdown, same old Darren, bit on the play fake and allowed the touch down to be thrown right behind him. He has lost a step and still gambles for the big play. Can't wait.

15. fvre4mvp

fvre4mvp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    DARREN SHARPER- MOST OVER RATED PLAYER IN THE NFL!!!!

16. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with musccy that there is nothing controversial here. It's understandable how Sharper could feel like he has a new lease on life in Minnesota. A lot of people feel that way after they change jobs.

But NCPackerfan makes a great point. Sharper should've been the guy who was pointing the way for his teammates rather than feeling overcome by gloom. Leaders should change the feel of the locker room rather than being overcome by it. Sharper, unfortunately, was never a leader, and is probably relieved that he is no longer expected to be one. In fact, he may be a better player in Minnesota because of that. On the other hand, if things don't go well in Minnesota, don't expect Sharper to be the guy who helps keep things under control.

17. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I missed that one. I did see a highlight the week before though where Darren was chasing Priest Holmes 20 yards down field. :D

I hope I get to see Darren Sharper attempt to tackle Ahman Green in the open field a few times.

18. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Bottom Line? Darren Sharper is no LeRoy Butler - never will be!

19. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    I don't see a reason for anyone to be offended by anything that he said. Of course he is happy. He is well paid by a team that should be a playoff contender. What do you want him to say? "Gee...I wish that I was still with the Packers, my life is over with out them and their fans"

20. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    agreed Phil....people have tried to make a story out of Sharper ever since he left, but I can't recall a single thing that he's said that's shocking. All he's ever said is that the Packers had some issues last year, and that he's happy in MN where he got some decent $ and is playing for a contender. Whoop-de-doo. No story there.

21. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    True, but that's not what bothers me about his comments. Sharper recently said Favre is wrong to comment on another player's contract when talking about the Walker situation. Yet when McKenzie held out last year I didn't hear Sharper saying it was wrong of Favre to comment on McKenzie's contract.

The part that bothers me personally is that I think Sharper is a coward because he won't say it to Favre's face when he was with the Packers last year when Favre commented on McKenzie, yet now Sharper is brave enough to rip Favre because he is safely hundreds of miles away in the Vikings lockerroom.

If Sharper would have said the same thing about Favre during the McKenzie holdout his opinion wouldn't have bothered me even though I disagree with it, but to me it looks like he's a coward because he'll only say it now that he's safely away from Favre.

22. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    It seems like the media is asking everyone and their grandma about their opinions of how Favre handled the JW situation, but for whatever reason, that didn't seem to happen w/ MM.

So, maybe Sharper had the same opinion at the time, but the media wasn't interested in making a story of it. As for him being a coward, maybe, but players usually try to be PC in season and avoid saying the obvious (we're 1-4, it sucks, everyone is miserable). Everything comes out after the season...like the organization admitting the issues w/ Slowik...they were signing his praises in season.

23. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That is funny that the Duluth paper never mentions Sharper in any of the articles that are written about the Vikings. And sometimes, they take articles from other papers. I don't think he is going to be an asset for the queens at all. I would be very surprised if he is one.

24. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well he is happy right now anyway............we will see how things get if things start going bad for the Vikings. It is too easy to be happy when your team is looking good.

25. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Who wouldn't? Geez, leave it to a Bears fan to not get it. ;) j/k