SG's Take

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Roger Clemens Award for "Best story that was ignored by the national media"
The great Brett Favre completely collapsed in the Giants-Packers game, throwing multiple balls up for grabs, single-handedly killing his team, and then everyone gave him the kid gloves treatment afterward. Favre had an incredible season and exceeded everyone's expectations. It was a wonderful ride, but come on. Didn't Troy Aikman and Joe Buck have to discuss Favre's Level 5 stinkbomb during the telecast beyond just alluding to it a couple of times? What about Peter King, who didn't even mention Favre's grisly performance in his normally comprehensive MMQB column? With all the breaks Green Bay got in that game, if Favre had given his team even a C-plus, the Pack would have won. You know he was bad when the Giants planned on kicking off in OT even if they won the coin flip.

(Note: The media spent four months spoon-feeding us this urban legend that Favre wasn't a gunslinger anymore, he was managing games now, he wasn't going to kill his team by taking dumb chances -- I wrote about how dumb this story line was as far back as Week 4 -- when the reality was Favre was playing the same way he always did, only he was playing exceptionally well and had better teammates. Unfortunately, for Packers fans, that minus-4 weather ended up freezing his Fountain of Youth and he killed their Super Bowl hopes. In my opinion, Favre never changed the way he played this season. Not even one iota. He just played well until Week 19. Which reminds me ...)

The Bill Simmons Award for "Most obvious gambling story line that everyone completely missed"

On paper, it seems absolutely incredible that Eli totally outplayed Favre in Lambeau in the third coldest playoff game ever. I never would have predicted this in a million years, especially given Eli's past performance in cold weather. Then I thought about it afterward and realized something: Favre is 38, Eli is 27 and the weather was minus-4. Who's more likely to be affected by bone-chilling temperatures -- a young QB with little wear and tear on his body, or an old QB who has started 270 consecutive games, battled an addiction to painkillers and probably takes 15 minutes to get out of bed every morning? Wouldn't it be the old guy?

Think of it this way: A family gets together for the holidays in Buffalo. There are three brothers in the family (ages 27, 35 and 38), two sisters, a mom, a dad and a grandfather. One morning, Buffalo gets crushed by a blizzard and somebody has to shovel the driveway in minus-4 degree weather for two hours. Which family member gets bundled up and goes out there? The youngest brother. Why? BECAUSE HE'S 27!!!!!!!!! He's the youngest, healthiest one! Is there any chance the 38-year-old guy goes out there? No! Why? BECAUSE HE'S 38!!!! Why didn't I think of this before the game? I hate myself.

Say what you want about Bill Simmons.... he speaks the truth, even if its hard to hear sometimes.

Im not saying Favre should retire, and im not saying he didnt have a great season. Thats not what i want to discuss.

But i think he brings up some good points about this last game. Favre did play bad, and it sure doesnt seem like our gunslinger can handle the frigid temps like he used to. AND EVERYONE IS AFRAID TO DISCUSS IT! discuss... politely. no one is accusing anyone of anything except for one bad game. I just wanna see everyones reaction to this.

this probally wont end well.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. Favre had a great year. I do think he took less risks, but that's because we were winning games. He played very badly against the Giants, and I don't think he can perform in the cold anymore, as evidenced by the Bears game and Giants game. I know, he played great against the Seahawks, that game was not cold. I love Favre, and I want him to come back, but PLEASE, figure out a way to keep him warm.

EDIT: i am NOT IN ANY WAY saying that brett favre was any more responsible for the loss than anyone else, but i think the cold did affect him simply because he's getting old. we talk about if he still "has it". We talk about the tradeoffs of getting older weaker arm vs. more experience. slower feet vs. football wisdom. well, i think this is another trade-off. Brett Favre brings a lot of good stuff to the table, but I don't think we can still call him "The NFL's best cold-weather QB".

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great.

What's the point in posting articles from MORONS?

I guess, following moron logic then, the Giants who whipped the crap out of our Offensive line, WR's, and our defense are younger than the rest of the Packer team because they handled the cold better and beat our ***** on both sides of the ball..??

Oh..wait..that's not true...I thought we had the youngest team in the league...Maybe they should have a snow shoveling contest instead...?

Why post this kind of stuff unless you want to stir the ****, and it is ****, or is it really just a backhanded way to attack Favre, because you agree with this tripe?

Yeah...like Aaron Rodgers would have done better in this game.

This topic should be locked moderators, because it is pathetic....

(And in case you weren't watching the game...Favre had a passer rating over 100 the first half....The Giants shut down the Packers Offense (WR's, running game) the second half....but by all means..have your blame Favre-fest, since that's what you really want to do...)

Go ahead...wail away..sport!
:doh:

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great.

I guess, following moron logic then, the Giants who whipped the crap out of our Offensive line, WR's, and our defense are younger than the rest of the Packer team because they handled the cold better and beat our ***** on both sides of the ball..??

Oh..wait..that's not true...I thought we had the youngest team in the league...Maybe they should have a snow shoveling contest instead...?

Why post this kind of stuff unless you want to stir the ****, and it is ****, or is it really just a backhanded way to attack Favre, because you agree with this tripe?

(And in case you weren't watching the game...Favre had a passer rating over 100 the first half....The Giants shut down the Packers Offense (WR's, running game) the second half....but by all means..have your blame Favre-fest, since that's what you really want to do...)

Crap, I forgot we weren't supposed to post articles from morons. Sorry.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
EDIT: i am NOT IN ANY WAY saying that brett favre was any more responsible for the loss than anyone else, but i think the cold did affect him simply because he's getting old. we talk about if he still "has it". We talk about the tradeoffs of getting older weaker arm vs. more experience. slower feet vs. football wisdom. well, i think this is another trade-off. Brett Favre brings a lot of good stuff to the table, but I don't think we can still call him "The NFL's best cold-weather QB".

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Great.

It's not an article...it's a POST. But I guess you can't figure out the difference....

I'm curious, do you live in a glass house?
:wink:

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you want about Favre but when you only run the ball 13 times in a game you then put it on Favres shoulders. This is not to mention the defense giving up big play after big play ie Harris. And where was Jennings, Jones and Martin in this game? Martin had a chance to pull one in at about the 2 yard line and Jennings droped a couple is that Favres fault? The giants secondary was supose to be in shambles why was no getting open? The play calling was bad as well, it's a team sport and the whole team did not play well.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's right. the whole team played badly. just because i say Favre played badly, i don't mean to imply that the rest of the team played well.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it matters much now...Does it?

Let's look at this another way...

IF you have a proven STAR QB, who had a wonderful year, though a bit long on the tooth, and a somewht inexperienced back up and you are playing in the most important game of your young coaching career...

Knowing that the old star qb has played well in such weather, he is 45-3 in cold weather games, the back up has NEVER played in that kind of a game.
Knowing that he has repeatedly carried the team to exciting, last minute victories, the back up has NEVER done that, and
knowing what he is capable of, and NOT knowing the back up's ability in these elements...

What would YOU do?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
Fuzznuts said:
Great.

It's not an article...it's a POST. But I guess you can't figure out the difference....

I'm curious, do you live in a glass house?
:wink:

Article, from the Oxford dictionary, first entry.

1. a written composition in prose, usually nonfiction, on a specific topic, forming an independent thought.

PS I don't wink at men either. I get it now though, you really are one of those "old" guys. Creepy.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IF you have a proven STAR QB, who had a wonderful year, though a bit long on the tooth, and a somewht inexperienced back up and you are playing in the most important game of your young coaching career...

Knowing that the old star qb has played well in such weather, he is 45-3 in cold weather games, the back up has NEVER played in that kind of a game.
Knowing that he has repeatedly carried the team to exciting, last minute victories, the back up has NEVER done that, and
knowing what he is capable of, and NOT knowing the back up's ability in these elements...

What would YOU do?

Nobody is suggesting that Favre should have been benched.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

What would YOU do?

Nobody is suggesting that Favre should have been benched.

Well, let's then question the following original quote;

"Think of it this way: A family gets together for the holidays in Buffalo. There are three brothers in the family (ages 27, 35 and 38), two sisters, a mom, a dad and a grandfather. One morning, Buffalo gets crushed by a blizzard and somebody has to shovel the driveway in minus-4 degree weather for two hours. Which family member gets bundled up and goes out there? The youngest brother. Why? BECAUSE HE'S 27!!!!!!!!! He's the youngest, healthiest one! Is there any chance the 38-year-old guy goes out there? No! Why? BECAUSE HE'S 38!!!! Why didn't I think of this before the game? I hate myself."

What if the 38 year old had always been the one who went out and shovelled the snow and between the three brothers, tended to be the most efficient and this was the most crushing of all the blizzards... ?

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look back closely at the tape. That pass to Martin was too high. Ruvell should have caught it but it wasnt perfect. The passes that you say Jennings supposedly dropped were both on out routes to the sideline that were poorly thrown. and he missed Driver on a pass that would have had 15 yards and a first down had it been in the right place.

Im not saying we replace Favre... i want a solution to his ever increasing poor play in frigid temps. This is a big deal. We want to win a Super Bowl. to win that we are gonna have games at Lambeau and they will be bitterly cold.

Favre USED to be untouchable in below 32 degrees. he now has a cold weather record of 43-6. all 6 losses coming since 2003. clearly you can see the decline. How do we fix this... because this is a problem . its a major problem for a team that absolutely has to win in cold weather in order to win.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look back closely at the tape. That pass to Martin was too high. Ruvell should have caught it but it wasnt perfect. The passes that you say Jennings supposedly dropped were both on out routes to the sideline that were poorly thrown. and he missed Driver on a pass that would have had 15 yards and a first down had it been in the right place.

Im not saying we replace Favre... i want a solution to his ever increasing poor play in frigid temps. This is a big deal. We want to win a Super Bowl. to win that we are gonna have games at Lambeau and they will be bitterly cold.

Favre USED to be untouchable in below 32 degrees. he now has a cold weather record of 43-6. all 6 losses coming since 2003. clearly you can see the decline. How do we fix this... because this is a problem . its a major problem for a team that absolutely has to win in cold weather in order to win.

Before we can fix that problem, we need to get another vehicle the passing game can be absolutely positive that it can ride INTO the playoffs...

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ruvell Martin should have caught that ball.

It was thrown perfectly....It was high because it was thrown between two defenders. Aikman said it was a "perfect pass", and I'd believe him WAY more than I'd believe you....

In the championship game, there's no excuses for dropping passes and interceptions....

If you can criticize the QB's throws....you can't excuse other players mistakes...

Unless you have an agenda against a certain player...
:thumbsup:

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early in the year, analysts said that GB would have to develop a running game to be a real contender. Ryan Grant emerged and seemed to take some pressure off our 38-yr old QB to carry the load.

It turned out that our run game worked when - and because - teams respected our pass-first offense. When we ran into defenses with strong front 7s (linemen and LBs) that could dominate our O-line without safety help, our run game vanished... and it fell back on our QB to wing home a win, throwing to WRs who were well-covered. He couldn't do it in 40 mph winds, and had a tough time in sub-zero weather, throwing to young WRs too cold, stiff and inexperienced to adjust their routes, out-jump and out-muscle coverage, the way Plaxico Buress did.

Surely age had something to do with it. But age wasn't Hasselbeck's problem. The fact is, teams that are, or can be rendered one dimensional, because they can't run, because they can't control the LOS, will always be vulnerable in less than ideal weather conditions.

The media experts were right all along. The thing to do about our aging QB is to give him the same thing that worked for 27-year Eli Manning: a running game to help him keep defenses off-balance and tougher, more experienced WRs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why all the talk about how they lost..They guys article said this

On paper, it seems absolutely incredible that Eli totally outplayed Favre in Lambeau in the third coldest playoff game ever. I never would have predicted this in a million years, especially given Eli's past performance in cold weather. Then I thought about it afterward and realized something: Favre is 38, Eli is 27 and the weather was minus-4. Who's more likely to be affected by bone-chilling temperatures

No mention of losing, just says he was surprised Eli outplayed Favre....

Nothing more nothing less

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
man oh man brett sure is getting the heat from this game,the giants got lucky by a kick brett throws to get crosby in for a field goal ties the game brett throws along pass that i belive jennings would have been a little faster touch down,there were points where brett did his best but it wasnt good enough throws to grant who is tackled right away if brett would ahve had more time out on the field he would have been fine,i'm not buying that he couldnt do it in the cold just wasnt our time we got into the playoffs the year was great 13-3 regular season more than alot of people expected when they get the guards to do what they need to do i dont just thought all in all what is the big deal next year they will get it done and i'm happy for how far they have come in a short time :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early in the year, analysts said that GB would have to develop a running game to be a real contender. Ryan Grant emerged and seemed to take some pressure off our 38-yr old QB to carry the load.

It turned out that our run game worked when - and because - teams respected our pass-first offense. When we ran into defenses with strong front 7s (linemen and LBs) that could dominate our O-line without safety help, our run game vanished... and it fell back on our QB to wing home a win. He couldn't do it in 40 mph winds, and had a tough time in sub-zero weather, throwing to young WRs too cold, stiff and inexperienced to adjust their routes, out-jump and out-muscle coverage the way Plaxico Buress did.

Surely age had something to do with it. But age wasn't Hasselbeck's problem. The fact is, teams that are, or can be rendered one dimensional, because they can't run, because they can't control the LOS, will always be vulnerable in less than ideal weather conditions.

The media experts were right all along. The thing to do about our aging QB is to give him the same thing that worked for 27-year Eli Manning: a running game to help him keep defenses off-balance and tougher, more experienced WRs.

Thanks for saying what I was going to say, and saying it better than I would have.

Favre did not have one of his best games, but I didn't think it was a "grisly" performance. And I'm a fan who DID think he had grisly performances in the playoff losses to St. Louis, Atlanta, and Minnesota during the Sherman years.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On paper, it seems absolutely incredible that Eli totally outplayed Favre in Lambeau in the third coldest playoff game ever. I never would have predicted this in a million years, especially given Eli's past performance in cold weather. Then I thought about it afterward and realized something: Favre is 38, Eli is 27 and the weather was minus-4. Who's more likely to be affected by bone-chilling temperatures

Were Eli and Favre alone on the field playing against each other....?

Eli outplayed Favre because the Giants outplayed the Packers.

Period.

That is how football works.... :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Were Eli and Favre alone on the field playing against each other....?

Eli outplayed Favre because the Giants outplayed the Packers.

Period.

That is how football works.... :lol:

your so awesome

Lot of people compare individual performances...thats why their are record books

If you stop OVER ANY LAZING the article..

All he is saying is that Brett couldnt handle the cold like Eli did

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my response to the article:

Remember the article posted prior to the 2nd week of Playoffs about how we have four of the best QBs in our generation to meet in the Playoffs and how exciting it would be? This is important. Read carefully. Please do not skim what I'm saying or else you won't get it.

The article went on to name them - Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, and Tony Romo. The top tier of QBs in the NFL. Well, what happened?

ALL FOUR OF THEM HAD AT LEAST ONE STINKER IN THE PLAYOFFS. It happens. Football is a team sport. When one person stinks, someone else has to compensate. Brady threw not two, but three INTs. However, he was the only of the four who went on to the SB. Why? Because someone else (Maroney) bailed him out.

No such luck for Favre, Manning, or Romo. The other three - who all will be first ballot Hall of Famers (and you all know how much I hate the Cows, so for me to say this is a big deal), didn't have the same luck Brady had. They didn't have someone else to bail them out.

When the Packers played, only ONE player got an A. One. Donald Driver. Everyone else got Cs or worse.

Coughlin on the other hand looked like a genius. He countered every single thing we did. He knew when we were going to run. He knew when we were going to pass. Coughlin beat us. Such is life.

The great Brett Favre completely collapsed in the Giants-Packers game, throwing multiple balls up for grabs, single-handedly killing his team

Huh? What game did he watch? Favre didn't throw multiple balls up for grabs. He threw 3 stinkers and several incompletions. Two of his stinkers got picked off, one got dropped. None of them were up in the air desperation balls that he used to throw back in '05 and '06. None. Not one. Let's rewind the tape and show that this guy's wrong.

In my opinion, Favre never changed the way he played this season. Not even one iota.

Had you been following our season? I doubt it. MM has done magic with Favre. He calmed him down, and convinced him to have faith in his receivers. We no longer have a jumper. Instead, we have YAC receivers. So Favre no longer throws the jump ball. Instead, he throws balls in areas that allow our WRs to get YAC.

We no longer screen either. That used to be our bread and butter play with Ahman Green. We don't have Ahman Green any more so MM gameplans accordingly.

MM is very good at getting the most out of what we have. Our talents are different than our '03 team. Thus, MM runs a system according to what we have. MM has completely changed the way Favre plays the game, and this writer is an idiot for making a blanket statement that is this far off.

Back to the Giants game, Coughlin beat us. He knew when we were going to run. His team completely shut down our running game and made us one dimensional. Completely. There is no argument here. We had NO running game. You ALMOST NEVER win a Playoff game with 28 yards rushing.

What these jackasses need to do is give credit instead of always finding someone to blame. Coughlin gets the game ball. He had our number. As a good loser, I'd shake his hand and congratulate him, and wish him best of luck against the Pats. I sincerely hope he coaches as well against the Pats as he did against us. If so, Giants bring home their 3rd Lombardi Trophy and the '72 Dolphins pop open champagne.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts