Sean Payton

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So McCarthy seems like a nice guy and all but I never got over the fact that we didn't get Sean Payton.

When TT first got here, our O was STACKED with Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley thanks to the brilliant drafting of TT.

He also got us Ryan Grant, who helped in Brett's later years and Aaron's early years to have some semlbance of a consistent runinng game.

Of course as he got older and circa 2015, he forgot how to draft IMO

I'm convinced we got by in those early MM years thanks to Favre and Rodgers talent and the drafted Offensive talent of TT.

Mike is a nice guy but I just don't ever believe he was a good coach. It was obvious from the beginning.

Do ya'll ever wonder if we would have had at least 2 more SBs with Payton?

I don't see how Favre or Rodgers doesn't throw AT LEAST like 35+ touchdowns every year if they have Payton as HC

Thoughts?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. Payton has had four losing seasons since he took over (to MM's three), and a lower winning percentage. McCarthy also had three more playoff wins. Yes, the Saints' offense has probably been a little better overall, but they also play in a dome, and their defense has been a little worse.

In both cases, MM and Payton won the Super Bowl with their best defense. The Packers had a truly elite defense in 2010, and the Saints defense in 2009 was just flat out phenomenal at forcing turnovers.

Overall, their careers tend to parallel each other evenly. Hired the same year, hall of fame quarterbacks, great offenses, subpar defenses, and one ring apiece. I'm not sure who the better coach is, but I think you could make strong arguments both ways.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Saints slogged through three consecutive 7-9 campaigns from 2014 to 2016 and Payton actually toyed with the thought of leaving. He stayed and they had good success in the draft and they are back playing some of their best football. Who knows, maybe if MM was able to stick around for another crappy season or 2 and Gute does a better job drafting than TT, MM would have the Packers on top again. Seems like it is difficult for HC's (Belichick being an anomaly) to keep a run going for 10+ years and that is the parity that the draft, cap and revenue sharing help provide the NFL.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m actually hoping McCarthy gets another Head coaching job.... while it won’t completely settle this argument if he doesn’t get to another SuperBowl... it certainly will if he does.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy since 2005 with Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers:

125-77-2 (.618) in the regular season
10-8 (.556) in the post season
1 Super Bowl

Sean Payton since 2006 with Drew Brees:

115-73 (.612) in the regular season
7-5 (.583) in the post season
1 Super Bowl

Now obviously Payton's offense has done a better job keeping up with the league than Mike's. But as far as what they've accomplished over the past ~13 year, it's darn near identical (and hence, stupid that Packer fans should be pining away with "what if" scenarios).

This also illustrates how stupid it is that people think a good coach should easily have won 3, 4, or 5 rings with Rodgers. Payton has had Brees the whole time and he has 1. Rivers is borderline HOF and has zero appearances. Mike Tomlin has had Roethlisberger for his entire HC tenure and he has 1. Fans that act as though any bum could have won multiple rings with Rodgers have no perspective.