1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Saturday signs with Packers!!!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 19, 2012.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    if he isnt singed, it will be because Ted is to cheap??

2. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Saturday is smaller than Wells, but in my opinion a better center. I agree that jeff is still capable of good football, and the fact that he is older means he won't want a long contract: one, two years tops. That means that while he will be rediculously expensive, he won't hurt our key re-signiings in two years: when we re-sign half the team. There are only a few key signings next year; the only major one being Jennings. while he is dumb old, dumb expensive, he is dumb good and only around for as long as we need him to train somebody decent. That being said, we won't out bid the broncos with their rediculous cap space, or the titans, who will cut whatever half capable players they need to.

3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Todd McClure or Sampson Satele might also work...

4. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I am not sure Denver is as serious as some think based on what I have read, but we'll see in the end. As for the Colts bringing him back I have heard nothing from Jeff about it so far. He has been very quiet this offseason.

Read this tonight:
    Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
    Worth noting @ProFootbalFocus graded #Broncos C J.D. Walton as the worst center in the league last year. Free agent Jeff Saturday was No. 5.

5. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61
    If he has a chance to play with Manning he will jump on it. That is if Manning would still want him.

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    You sure?

7. Rocky11

Ratings:
    +61
    Everybody argues. I think Manning is his best chance at continuing his career. But what do I know? These guys will do what they think is best for them and I don't blame them.

8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I just wanted an excuse to post that video :-D

9. Rocky11

Ratings:
    +61
    Ha Ha. Thats cool.

10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,489
    I remember that video. I didn't watch your clip, but when the incident happened Manning was miked up. Afterwards he and Saturday had a good conversation. They both said that it was just a part of their relationship - not the first time and not the last.

Saturday is intriguing for what he could do for passing protections and how he could help Rodgers grow/improve. I'm not sure that his run blocking will be all that good but MM doesn't emphasize the running game. The real question is what TT and MM plan to do for 1-2 years from now. I thought that Dietrich-Smith was ready to go but you wouldn't be bringing Saturday in if that were truly the case. They need to draft a center and bring in another one or two UFAs. It's a great opportunity for them to learn from Saturday and the right time to find another successor. Otherwise we're just kicking the can down the road.

11. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    My guess is Saturday is Denver bound. But I wouldn't mind having an old war horse with his experience compete in camp.

12. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't know I'll leave that decision to Ted and MM...what I'm saying is that if he doesn't sign with the Packers I won't be overly disappointed. This is a situation where you sign a guy at his age and hope for the best...but we'd better have a plan B for when he gets injured.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    you could be on to something.

14. PackMan13x

PackMan13x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +132
    I want him. Yes, as far as his career goes, it's definitely Saturday evening, approaching Sunday morning, but he can still play for a year at a high level.

15. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I'm not wrong on this one: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wells-leaves-packers-for-st-louis-a54jltp-143022465.html

Money quote:
    And yes, it was about the money too. But the fact is he was pissed that he had to compete one season and then pissed they didn't extend him mid season this past season, so he decided he was done playing here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    More like not willing to over pay.

17. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +393
    Yes I'd like to see Saturday sign w/us & if not draft Konz. Jeff is 36 & I expect he'll sign w/Denver. I didn't think TT liked over 30 guys but I guess Jeff would come cheap after last years record.

18. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Did he visit yet? Or is he hoping he can grab some table scraps in Denver? There might be a few dollar bills left on the floor.

19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994

Bingo...Not cheap but wont over spend for a aging center

20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Anyhow, money shouldn't be problem with signing Saturday since shopping has now moved from Saks to the Dollar store.

21. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,330
    It's hard to tell if Saturday is just using the Packers as leverage vs. Denver or not. If not I think signing him makes sense as a stop gap measure until EDS, Genus, or more likely a middle round pick can take over. I don't think signing him to a one-year deal is realistic - probably a three-year deal in which the team can waive him after year two with little cap hit.

That Wells was pissed at the Packers isn't a secret. No one can read his mind but Jason Wilde, who is pretty close to the organization, said he doesn't think Wells brought the Rams' offer back to Green Bay to see if they wanted to match it. If it was just about money (nothing wrong with that IMO), why wouldn't he? And look at the quote in SpartaChris' post. Wells knows, just like we do, that if Thompson really wants to retain a player he usually extends him in the season before his contract is up.

BTW, I don't think Saturday has anything to teach Rodgers but his signing would save Rodgers having to help teach a young or rookie OC. If not Saturday, I hope Thompson signs another vet OC.

• Like Like x 1
  22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,994
    I couldn't see anyone using the Packers as leverage lol

23. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Who would do such a thing?!?!

24. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Yeah, we're not a team that normally gets into bidding wars with other teams unless we REALLY want the player.

25. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    The whole problem with drafting Konz in the first round is that it doesn't address the pass rush. The Packers would be replacing Wells with Konz. The defensive line is still bad with the same bad players and outside linebacker is still bad.