Sammy Watkins Resurgence

Will Watkins revive his career with the Packers?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like every season, seemingly, he’ll be phenomenal in game one and then go on sabbatical the rest of the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watkins will have a very solid year: minimum of 800 yards production with probably close to or at 8 TDs.

ALL contingent on staying healthy. If he is in he has proven still VERY capable.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The MOST encouraging thing about Sammy is that he is aware of his weakness to stay healthy. And, in his interviews, he has owned up and manned up to it.

No one is denying Sammy's talent or ability, its just staying healthy and being available. And the most important thing is that he has manned up to it and owned it

I expect a solid year from him, ~60/800/8. I wouldn't be surprised if he approaches 90/1100/12 though

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if Watkins will revive his career with the Packers but it's pretty obvious he will make the roster after listening to what MLF had to say about him yesterday. I only brought it up as there was speculation he might not be a lock.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if Watkins will revive his career with the Packers but it's pretty obvious he will make the roster after listening to what MLF had to say about him yesterday. I only brought it up as they was speculation he might not be a lock.

His contract structure also made cutting him almost cost us nothing. Good to hear solid sounding reports for him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've posted b4

some of the injuries are or where from a reoccurring injury that didn't heal. Either was rushed back to soon or the dr misjudged it

not saying it won't be an issue but have to have some sort of logical discussion as why so many injuries

Reaction score
Watkins will have a very solid year: minimum of 800 yards production with probably close to or at 8 TDs.

ALL contingent on staying healthy. If he is in he has proven still VERY capable.
Amen. Really in reality? Yes the most “proven” WR we currently have. We could argue Cobb, but let’s face it, he’s still good, but also he’s a long shot to take the #1 role at this stage of his career. He might possibly even be in his final season.

My guess: Watson has the most long term ceiling (4+ years) Sammy Watkins probably the most likely to Win in a short term battle (1-2 seasons)

Hard not to root for someone being humble. Let’s hope he’s more careful and prepares himself to match.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love for the guy to do well this season, but I am setting low expectations. I am assuming that he will get hurt and am not expecting him to be on the same page as Rodgers. I really hope that I am wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll have a couple big games, but hurt too much overall. He's clearly talented.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Watkins will be the Kevin King of the offense. You'll be happy we have him one week, and yelling cut him the next.

Doesn't mean either was an actually bad player....

Projected Stat line? 54 receptions for 692 yards, 7 TDs.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Watkins will be the Kevin King of the offense. You'll be happy we have him one week, and yelling cut him the next.

Doesn't mean either was an actually bad player....

Projected Stat line? 54 receptions for 692 yards, 7 TDs.
If he does that, I will be pleasantly surprised.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he does that, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Honestly I'll go as far as to say I guarantee Sammy will put up 50 yards minimum for every game he is fully healthy and active for by years end. So if he hits 12 games healthy I honestly envision 600 yards.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That depends on if the Packers need Watkins as their #1 receiver. In that case they will need him to put up better numbers.
I beginning to believe that there won't be a traditional WR1 but more of a situational WR1. With a dominate run game, expectations for the WR corp should remain reasonable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That depends on if the Packers need Watkins as their #1 receiver. In that case they will need him to put up better numbers.

Yes and No...I actually just posted a write up in a thread elsewhere that touches on some of this but I shocked when I researched the following:

Here are the following SB Champs over the last ten years and some receiving stats:

2021 - Rams - Kupp insane season over 1800 was their WR1...WR2 802yds
2020 - Buccs - Mike Evans just barely over 1,000 at 1,006. Their second highest receiving yards was 840.
2019 - Cheifs - Their top yardage wasn't a WR but a TE at 1,229. Their WR1 put up 860 yards.
2018 - Patriots - Their WR1 put up 850 yards and their WR2 put up 720 yards (a RB was their number 2 actually in receiving yards at 751)
2017 - Eagles - A TE led the team with 824 yards. They had two WRs over 750 (789 & 768 respectively).
2016 - Patriots - WR1 put up 1,106 yards and WR2 was at 680 (a TE was their second at 701).
2015 - Broncos - WR1 put up 1,304yds and WR2 put up 1,135yds
2014 - Patriots - Gronk (TE) led the team at 1,124 but WR1 put up 972 and WR2 put up 953
2013 - Seahwaks - WR1 put up 898 and WR2 put up 778
2012 - Ravens - WR1 put up 921 and WR2 put up 855

So over the last decade worth of Super Bowls.
Only half the time has the winning team had a 1,000 yard regular season receiver.
Four times the winning team failed to have ANY player with 1,000 yards receiving.
Four times out of the ten the winning team didn't even have a WR with 900 yards.
Once they didn't even have a WR with 800 yards.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Watkins is our #1 WR (on paper) and draws the opposing #1 CB and/or Safety help it'll open-up things for the other WR's to have more 1-on-1 coverage. Where our offense may struggle is if D's can pack-down on Cobb, Rodgers, TE(s) and Lazard running short(er) routes. Need Watkins on one side, Watson running medium-deep routes (& 3-6 targets) on the other to open up the underneath stuff to keep the chains moving.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or................. run it to the right, run it
to the left, run run run...........
Jordan Love with 750 yards rushing
OK so I got the obligatory mention Jordan Love in every thread out of the way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The MOST encouraging thing about Sammy is that he is aware of his weakness to stay healthy. And, in his interviews, he has owned up and manned up to it.

No one is denying Sammy's talent or ability, its just staying healthy and being available. And the most important thing is that he has manned up to it and owned it

I expect a solid year from him, ~60/800/8. I wouldn't be surprised if he approaches 90/1100/12 though
No way for me to project numbers on this guy. No earthly idea whatsoever how well or quickly he can get on the same page as Rodgers and whether either one can stay healthy enough to play. Too many unknowns imo.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ideally, Aaron Rodgers plays point guard distributing timely accurate throws to Watson outside the hash and connects with Watkins on deep slants and digs. Lazard playing 50/50 ball. With more than enough options in the slot along with a strong run game, I got a feeling this offense will be sneaky good.

Reaction score
I agree with you guys. Watkins success/production will correlate to his health and time on the field. Nobody can predict that but imo he’s either 475 yards or 950 yards based on availability.

D

Deleted member 6794

I beginning to believe that there won't be a traditional WR1 but more of a situational WR1. With a dominate run game, expectations for the WR corp should remain reasonable.

I agree the Packers won't have a true #1 wide receiver this season like they had with Adams over the past few ones.

They will need to be successful throwing the ball, otherwise I'm afraid their running game won't be able to dominate either.

Even if Watkins is our #1 WR (on paper) and draws the opposing #1 CB and/or Safety help it'll open-up things for the other WR's to have more 1-on-1 coverage.

While the rookie receivers might benefit from that the veterans who have been with the Packers weren't able to take advantage of it when Adams was around.

Therefore I don't expect them to do it now with opponents not having to worry about an elite receiver anymore.

Staff online

Latest posts