Sammy Watkins Resurgence

Will Watkins revive his career with the Packers?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 6794

Release Watkins with injury settlement etc.. and let's sign Antonio Brown.

Watkins is a vested veteran, he wouldn't agree to an injury settlement. It's unfortunate that he's injured again but at least the Packers haven't a lot of cap space invested in him.

Hard pass on Antonio Brown.

I still think signing Anonio Brown in a no Brainerd if you thinking SB.

I think Antonio Brown IS the no brainer.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Release Watkins with injury settlement etc.. and let's sign Antonio Brown.

Unless we are nit planning to contend for SB this year in which case qe don't need AB.

Still to early to tell how this team will shape up however. By week 5-6 we have a better idea about our D# and by week 8-10 we should have some indication if our rookie WRs are going to be good enough to make at run at SB.

I still think signing Anonio Brown in a no Brainerd if you thinking SB.
AB...now there's a guy that everyone loves and a great locker room leader.:rolleyes:

I'll put the odds of the Packers signing him at a million to one. Maybe I should rephrase that..
Odds that they should sign him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like they gambled and lost with Watkins. Just ain't going to happen.
Just watched EQ make a huge play for the Bears

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His surgery (2nd ACL on same knee) was done on 2/22/22. He won't be ready to play until Thanksgiving at the absolute earliest.

EQ signed a 1 yr/$965k deal...Packers don't view him as any more than a #4 so best to move on.
As much as I like an Odell signing last year, I'd pass on it this season. Unless of course he is way ahead of schedule. Would rather sign a guy that can play now and he might be up to speed and clicking with Rodgers by....Dec.

EQ...Malik Taylor....all sub-starting type WR's that had plenty of chances to prove themselves in GB....I wouldn't expect any of them to be an upgrade over what we have.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like they gambled and lost with Watkins. Just ain't going to happen.
I'm going to be optimistic. It is very early in the season. Not a good sign for sure. Maybe he needs to change his work out habits.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQ...Malik Taylor....all sub-starting type WR's that had plenty of chances to prove themselves in GB
I don't get all these chances Malik Taylor had. Almost everytime they threw him the ball; he caught it. I don't think it counts just being in a play when ARod does not even look at him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree looks lost when he is in there.

I disagree, there is a difference between being lost and not on the same page as your QB. If he was utterly lost, Rodgers would not be in his corner as he is.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, at this point I don't know why Rodgers is in his corner. Nor do I understand why he threw Malik Taylor under the bus. Well, at least not really give him a chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't get all these chances Malik Taylor had. Almost everytime they threw him the ball; he caught it. I don't think it counts just being in a play when ARod does not even look at him.
Targets VS. catches, doesn't really complete the full picture of a receiver IMO. Taylor came into the league in 2019, during that time he has had 9 targets and 7 catches. Did he earn the right to get more chances on the field? I have to guess no or he would have and he wouldn't currently be unemployed.

Fans always have their favorites, but much like most of the other Practice Squad receivers in Green Bay history, most of them don't do enough in preseason, practices and playbook knowledge, that they never really earn those actual playing reps and targets.

While I agree Winfree is a slight step-up from Taylor, he looked a bit lost yesterday. I see him being the first WR removed from the 53 and probably following the Taylor path out of the NFL eventually.

I was impressed with some of the special teamers yesterday. A guy like Rudy Ford, who is a backup S, is proving to be worth keeping on the roster. If the 6th and beyond depth WR's can't play special teams well, I would prefer they weren't on the active roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm going to be optimistic. It is very early in the season. Not a good sign for sure. Maybe he needs to change his work out habits.
Yeah, wayyyyyyy too early for people to give up on Watson. Glad nobody gave up on Jordy, Adams, Jennings, etc. 2 games into their rookie season.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, at this point I don't know why Rodgers is in his corner. Nor do I understand why he threw Malik Taylor under the bus. Well, at least not really give him a chance.
They went on Ahyawaska trance togheder prabpbly.
Clearly Rodgers is still foggy from the experience considering he is missing open receivers every game.

I'm not knocking ahyawaska. I'm curious myself and will prabobly do it once I'm retired.
However when you are a QB in NFL playing a game that requires crapton of focus, concentration and quick decision making maybe drugs of any kind aren't a good idea.

Reaction score
Winfree is better than Malik anyways folks and Rodgers loves him.
Winfree moves very fluid. I guess they are all good athletes to make it this far, but I have him in that Geronimo type category. Developing into a Good backup solution. Probably not a guy you want as your WR1-WR3, at least not yet anyway

Doubs is playing like a more proven, Round 2 type, rookie selection. In a draft redo? He’d probably be gone by our natural #59 selection.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree moves very fluid. I guess they are all good athletes to make it this far, but I have him in that Geronimo type category. Developing into a Good backup solution. Probably not a guy you want as your WR1-WR3, at least not yet anyway

Winfree is a WR4/5 type which is what he is serving as.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They went on Ahyawaska trance togheder prabpbly.
Clearly Rodgers is still foggy from the experience considering he is missing open receivers every game.

I'm not knocking ahyawaska. I'm curious myself and will prabobly do it once I'm retired.
However when you are a QB in NFL playing a game that requires crapton of focus, concentration and quick decision making maybe drugs of any kind aren't a good idea.
Consider he claims to have done "the drug" in both 2020 and 2022, his 2 MVP's in between might blow some fog into your theory.

D

Deleted member 6794

EQ has a total of four receptions while playing 78% of the snaps for the Bears. While he had a nice run vs. the Texans there's no reason to believe he would be an upgrade over any receiver currently on the Packers roster.

I have a suspicion Odell may b coming our way.

I fully expect OBJ to re-sign with the Rams once he's healthy again.

I'm convinced Watkins has tried different work out programs to stay healthy. Unfortunately none of them seem to work.

While I agree Winfree is a slight step-up from Taylor, he looked a bit lost yesterday. I see him being the first WR removed from the 53 and probably following the Taylor path out of the NFL eventually.

Just for the record, Winfree isn't on the Packers' active roster, he was elevated from the practice squad for the game on Sunday.

Oh God no.

OBJ played pretty well for the Rams after they signed him late last year and didn't seem to be a distraction in their locker room.

In general, I believe a lot of fans spend too much time discussing about the receivers on the bottom of the depth chart or on the practice squad nearly every single season. As @Pokerbrat2000 correctly pointed out most fans have a favorite amongst them but most of the time none of them actually develops into a player contributing on a consistent basis.

Reaction score
The late Dennis Green on Sammy Watkins: He is who we thought he was!
Thankfully we didn't invest heavily in $$. It's a bad way to start, you play 2 games and miss 4. At this rate he will play in 6 games and 2 are already gone. That in itself would have me looking at other trade options before deadline

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well there was optimism and pessimism in this thread. And some realism as well. I’ll let you all find your takes.

At the end of the day:

279 snaps
13 catches
206 yards
0 touchdowns

Played more than half of the offensive snaps 5 times. Only 11 snaps in the last two games.

Failed experiment to say the least.

No sense in him taking even 1 snap away from anyone else on the roster at this point, so it was obviously the right move to release him.

Members online

Latest posts