Same Song. Different Verse.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201001170min.htm[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2009.htm[/URL]

This Dallas team is different. These Cowboys are for real. This team could be really scary in the playoffs. All the lines being spewed for the past month about the Dallas Cowboys sounded vaguely familiar and then I remembered where I heard this before.

It was five years ago, as the Cowboys were then also preparing for a road divisional round playoff game against the number two " seed" in the NFC. The 2009 Cowboys were 11-5 winners of the NFC East and came into the playoffs on a roll. They had just beaten the Eagles in consecutive weeks; 24-0 in the season finale to clinch the division title and then 34-14 in the Wild Card playoff round.

Wade Phillips was the head coach then; Jason Garrett was the offensive coordinator and "coach-in-waiting."

They didn't have Dez Bryant or DeMarco Murray but their offense was still loaded with weapons. Tony Romo made the Pro Bowl on a career season: 4,483 yds. passing, 63.1% completion, 26 td's, only 9 ints.

They had a "3-headed monster" backfield of Marion "the Barbarian" Barber (932 yds.), Felix Jones ( 5.9 ypd), and Tashard Choice (5.5 ypc.)

Vet Jason Witten and young Martellus Bennett were the tight ends. The wideouts were fast and explosive. Miles Austin scored 11 td's and averaged 16.3 ypc. Roy Williams added 7 td catches with his 15.7 ypc average. Patrick Crayton was 16.8 ypc.

And, oh yes, people talked about their offensive line: Center Andre Gurode (6-4,314), guards Leonard Davis (6-6,375) & Kyle Kosier ( 6-5,305) and tackles Flozell Adams (5-7,335) & Marc Columbo ( 6-7,320) were a unit of bulldozers.

The Dallas offense that season ranked second in the league in yardage. The defense then was even better than now. It was a top ten unit that stood second in scoring defense, yielding just 15.6 ppg.

(Then) Jay Ratliff at nose tackle, DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer rushing from the outside lb spots, Keith Brookings and Bradie James inside, and corner Mike Jenkins and Terrance Newman were at the Dallas defensive core and among the 8 Cowboys players selected to the Pro Bowl that season.

After their dominating home playoff performance against Philadelphia the Cowboys went for the divisional round to face a team and a quarterback with a history of playoff chokes. The Minnesota Vikings, led by ex-Packer arch-traitor Bert Farber ( forget the name), held the number two seed that season. Playing at the Metrodome, though, did not seem like such a difficult challenge for the Cowboys. It was a dome stadium with an artificial turf to which the Cowboys were designed and experienced from their own home dome field.

And then, as in this past season, the Cowboys had done the seemingly impossible: beaten a Super Bowl championship team on its home field. They had gone to New Orleans when the Saints were 13-0 and handed them their first loss of the season in a game the Saints weren't laying down for.

But the expected competitive game quickly became a 34-3 rout. Against the NFL's all-time career interception leader, with a particular history of throwing them in playoff games, the Cowboys failed to register even one. Favre torched them with a 15 of 24 performance with 4 td passes. Sidney Rice did most of the damage, catching 3 on plays of 47, 45 and 16 yds.

Romo was only 22 of 35, was sacked 6 times and picked once. The Vikings forced 4 fumbles and recovered two giving Dallas 3 turnovers for the game.

Late in the game the Vikes rubbed the Cowboys noses in it by passing for another td in the final two minutes with a 27-3 lead. Dallas actually ran four more plays and had a 1:08 time of possession advantage but still lost by 31. It was the lowest scoring game ever for a Dallas team in a playoff. The previous low scoring mark had been 5 points against Detroit in 1970- but Dallas won that game.

That was the last time the Cowboys made the playoff and reached the divisional round. This Dallas team is different. These Cowboys are for real. This team could be really scary in the playoffs. Hum a few bars and I think the tune will come to you.

Last edited:

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be a great game as teams are evenly matched..
Offensively
GB. 30.4 pts/gm. DAL 29.2
GB. 386 yds/gm. DAL 384

Defensively
GB. 21.8 ppg. DAL 22
GB. 346 ypg. DAL 355
INT EVEN
SACKS 41-28 GB

Offensive difference is Dallas has 27 ypg advantage running the ball behind that massive young wall of blockers.

To me with the weather conditions, the key of the game...running the ball.

DoctorChicken

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference between these Cowboys and those Cowboys are two things -

1 - OL
2- Attitude

I say OL because while our OL was good throughout 2009, the were old and good, and they were exposed in the playoffs vs the Vikings. Romo was sacked 6 times I believe.

Our current OL is young and good, and they're already way better than the 2009 group.

And as far as attitude, this team just has a better attitude. They simply do not give up. The 2009 team was soft.

And Marion, Felix and Tashard were not that good. At all. They aren't even in the NFL anymore.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these Cowboys are better than the 2009 Cowboys. I definitely would love to win in a blowout on Sunday, but I don't think that'll happen.

Leonardo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the key of the game will be the running game, the team that has more yards will win the game. I'm pretty confident about our chances on Sunday, but i think it's gonna be a tough game probably decided in a FG or a TD.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last 8 games murray 4.2ypc lacy 5.0ypc i think lacy finding his sea legs. Plus whats really annoying me is how cheap the cowboy fans are all they are talking about in injuring Arod calf. I hope we beat the brakes of them and Arod throws for 500 yards and 6td's. Us packer fans are saying nothing about injuring romo back or ribs more.

Sky King

Reaction score
Some fans of the Cowboys act as though they've never been there before. Although the team has, how long has it been? The immature comments likely came from some juvenile fans who are far to young to remember the Cowboys last championship, let alone understand the value of projecting themselves with any dignity. No big deal. Read posts entered after their bedtimes. And if they're not rambunctious youngsters, then wait to read posts until after lights-out at the prison.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Should be a great game as teams are evenly matched..
Offensively
GB. 30.4 pts/gm. DAL 29.2
GB. 386 yds/gm. DAL 384

Defensively
GB. 21.8 ppg. DAL 22
GB. 346 ypg. DAL 355
INT EVEN
SACKS 41-28 GB

Offensive difference is Dallas has 27 ypg advantage running the ball behind that massive young wall of blockers.

To me with the weather conditions, the key of the game...running the ball.

What's the boys stats outside on the road and what's Packers stats at home

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last 8 games murray 4.2ypc lacy 5.0ypc i think lacy finding his sea legs. Plus whats really annoying me is how cheap the cowboy fans are all they are talking about in injuring Arod calf. I hope we beat the brakes of them and Arod throws for 500 yards and 6td's. Us packer fans are saying nothing about injuring romo back or ribs more.

Yeah, and the cheering over Rodgers' calf injury is being led by our good friend Skip Bayless. Classless fools come in bunches.

It's like cheering over the fact that the Cardinals lost their starting QB and their backup QB. I feel bad for the Cardinals because of that. It pretty much sealed their playoff fate.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the boys stats outside on the road and what's Packers stats at home

Packers at Home on Offense
39.7 Points per game
419.5 Yards per game

Packers at home on Defense
20.3 Points allowed per game
347.6 Yards allowed per game
9 INT's
23 Sacks

Dallas on the road on offense
34.4 Points per game
390.8 Yards per game

Dallas on the road on defense
22.6 Points allowed per game
350.1 yards allowed per game
12 INT's
17 Sacks

So the Packers have a slight edge in every category except for interceptions.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/article/sports/343726
Some fans of the Cowboys act as though they've never been there before. Although the team has, how long has it been? The immature comments likely came from some juvenile fans who are far to young to remember the Cowboys last championship, let alone understand the value of projecting themselves with any dignity. No big deal. Read posts entered after their bedtimes. And if they're not rambunctious youngsters, then wait to read posts until after lights-out at the prison.

Even when they were winning those 3 Super Bowls in the '90's the Cowboys were not a particularly popular team in the public's estimations. Their owner and coach were seen as conceited and several of their players were involved in off-field "character" and legal incidents. Michael Irvin is alleged to have said to the cops when he got busted on a drug possession,"Do you know who I am?" I recall there was much rejoicing, not just by Packers fans, at Dallas' fall to Carolina in the 1996 playoff.

Last edited:

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even when they were winning those 3 Super Bowls in the '90's the Cowboys were not a particularly popular team in the public's estimations. Their owner and coach were seen as conceited and several of their players were involved in off-field "character" and legal incidents. Michael Irvin is alleged to have said to the cops when he got busted on a drug possession,"Do you know who I am?" I recall there was much rejoicing, not just by Packers fans, at Dallas' fall to Carolina in the 1996 playoff.
It's those games against the Cowboys in the 90's that developed my sincere hatred for the Cowboys. It's not just that they beat us in those games, its the way their fans acted after.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I remember being pissed when Dallas lost, I wanted the Cowboys to have to play in Lambeau. That 96 team would have murdered the 96 Cowboys at home in the elements.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember being pissed when Dallas lost, I wanted the Cowboys to have to play in Lambeau. That 96 team would have murdered the 96 Cowboys at home in the elements.

Yeah, that was the one disappointment about that year. The Pack got them at Lambeau the next season and beat them 45-17.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's those games against the Cowboys in the 90's that developed my sincere hatred for the Cowboys. It's not just that they beat us in those games, its the way their fans acted after.

Cowboys fans are coming out of hiding, as they're finally a real contender. I normally do not like to generalize fan bases, but their fans seem to be extra obnoxious. Maybe it just seems that way since there are so many of them. There are some good ones(a couple on here even) but I really, really want to shut Dallas up on Sunday. I'm sorry you live in Texas.

Members online

Latest posts