Same old story

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This FA offseason is starting with a ton of average players (Porter, Smith, Cincy S, Tommy Kelly, ..) getting rediculous offers. Let all the teams that are treating their cap space like easter candy go hog wild. All the while, GB waits for the values before and after the draft to fill a few small holes (backup TE, backup OL, DB, ..). Plus, we have the draft as well. Heck, maybe try the "Al Harris" offer again with Philly by sending one of our 2s for Lito Sheppard.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I am constantly checking the rumor mill and the who-went-where news. All I can hope is that the Pack made a move of significance, but as usual there has been nothing. Big names have been mentioned...Jason Taylor, Randy Moss, Asante Samuel, Donte Stallworth, Alan Faneca, Alge Crumpler, Michael Turner but nothing has come of it. I thought moving Corey Williams was a sign of the team ready to make moves and pull the trigger on something big. I know its still early, but it seems like the Pack need to get things in gear if they are going to get anyone via free agency. They even said this year they were going to go after some players to "complete" the team and make a Super Bowl push.

Anyone else frustrated by the lack of moves by the Packers? Who all is still available that are worth going after?

No. Free Agency is when stupid GMs blow their salary cap.

I know it's unsexy and boring, but draft well, build from within, and reward achievers. There's no one there I'll shed a tear over if we didn't get.

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what TT is doing but on the other hand there has been some quality players in FA ,not many, but there are a few who I think would help us. I really thought they would go after Turner or Samuel. I guess that's why I'm not a GM.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what TT is doing but on the other hand there has been some quality players in FA ,not many, but there are a few who I think would help us. I really thought they would go after Turner or Samuel. I guess that's why I'm not a GM.

and blow all our salary cap space on them when we already have entrenched starters in their positions? Get Real.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i knew we wouldn't go for Turner after Grants success, and the money Samuel commands wouldn't make sense. we don't need a big name corner, more like a talented stop-gap.

Crumpler woulda been nice to have though, especially after Bubba was released.

OP
OP
M

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never assume we will pull the trigger on one of the overpaid "big name" guys that are always eaten up quick. I did want to see Faneca wearing green and gold, but thats ok. What I really am hoping for is Jason Taylor to come play here for a few years before he retires. With the Corey Williams trade it makes sense to me.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never assume we will pull the trigger on one of the overpaid "big name" guys that are always eaten up quick. I did want to see Faneca wearing green and gold, but thats ok. What I really am hoping for is Jason Taylor to come play here for a few years before he retires. With the Corey Williams trade it makes sense to me.

dont think it will happen, JT wants to be famous and make movies and stuff, i dont think he'll get the exposure he wants in GB.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried, the key is to make moves when you need to make moves, but not over pay for players. Let's be honest the Packers had a pretty good O and D last year, and with more time for that O-Line could be on its way back to the NFC Title game next year. The Redskins for several years have added this name or that name, thinking they were just a couple players away from a title game, and what did it get them? Inconsistency, they traded for a Young WR who frankly I'd never even heard of and he hardly earned any playing time at all. The point is we need to make smart moves, and only bring in FAs that will fit with our team chemistry and systems. If you do that you can have success. Shoot, I can remember back to the 80s before Favre when they used to laugh at Green Bay as a team, that once a long time ago was among the best of the NFL. I'm glad we've grown beyond that, but how much longer can we sustain success? We have to be very careful who we add or we could fall back into that sort of rutt.