Sam Shields wants to play again

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a guy has knee surgery his sophomore year of college is what one with critical thinking skills and a healthy risk management plan would call a low risk signing after his senior year in college entering the draft. A guy with 5 brain injuries in 7 season, with the last couple coming after plays that increasingly looking like your garden variety "routine" NFL plays and not your stood up and blasted under the chin type blows, is a guy one would label high risk.

what's so hard to figure out? quit acting like all injuries are the same, all consequences are the same and every player situation is the same. Life always that black and white to you? Maybe if you actually had a mother... LOL

Don't know about some others, but the B&W part of this situation is that IF (1) the medical people know about his previous brain concerns and clear him anyhow and (2) he chooses to play, then who are we to say No?

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam states in the article that if he had another concussion he'd quit.

No team with any sense would touch him IMO, and seems most in this thread didn't read the article.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam states in the article that if he had another concussion he'd quit.

This is the key. We can argue the pros and cons of him coming back, or even if he should, but he's a ticking time bomb, and I don't believe any team will be willing to take him on. In addition to the concussions, there's also the matter of a guy over 30 who hasn't set foot on a field for 2 years.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is one hit away from never walking again.... The chiefs just released Revis if you want a vet there’s your guy on a ‘vet deal’

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's heading to the Rams along with Aqib Talib. Sam did a lot for this organization including being a huge contributor in the Super Bowl run. I with him the best on the field, but more importantly I wish him good health. The guy is a warrior, be smart and safe Sam.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty cool he is coming back. It sucks it's not for Greenbay.....

Stlouis just picked up shields, and talib in consecutive days....

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont know what to say. He got a job. He will play it out. He never had a chance with us. He shouldn't have had a chance anywhere. But this is what happened.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is one hit away from never walking again.... The chiefs just released Revis if you want a vet there’s your guy on a ‘vet deal’

EVERY NFL player is one hit away from never walking again. Ask Mike Utley.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him all the best, and pray the unthinkable does not happen. He was a terrific player for Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

EVERY NFL player is one hit away from never walking again. Ask Mike Utley.

The risk significantly increases when having had five documented concussions in the past though. Considering that a routine tackle which didn't have a huge impact resulted in Shields not being symptome free for over a year gives me pause about him attempting to play again.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Sam Shields is back in the NFL? I know Sam has head issues which is why he was released...but no one can deny he turned into a heck of a corner in GB and had Big play potential. If he can stay healthy him Talib, and Peters are going to be a problem. I wanna wish him the best with his health but I hope he sucks because LA is on the rise and it’s very realistic that we could see these guys in the playoffs. Now they are talking about adding Suh with a line that feature Donald and Ayers. Must be nice

D

Deleted member 6794

That Sam Shields is back in the NFL? I know Sam has head issues which is why he was released...but no one can deny he turned into a heck of a corner in GB and had Big play potential. If he can stay healthy him Talib, and Peters are going to be a problem.

There's no doubt Shields developed into a fine cornerback but unfortunately I don't believe he will be able to stay healthy.

With the league wide emphasis on concussions I have a hard time understanding any team clearing him to play football again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields was a great story, great athleticism and work put him where he was. Wish he would have stayed healthy for everyone's sake. and had he been knocked out like a shot to Davante's chin I might have a different opinion, but he had symptoms for a year and half practically after a relatively routine football play. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of camp.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields was a great story, great athleticism and work put him where he was. Wish he would have stayed healthy for everyone's sake. and had he been knocked out like a shot to Davante's chin I might have a different opinion, but he had symptoms for a year and half practically after a relatively routine football play. I'd be surprised if he makes it out of camp.

I think he will.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he will.

Take a look at the hit it took for Shields to suffer his fifth documented concussion at Jacksonville which resulted in him feeling symptoms for more than a year. I highly doubt that he will be able to withstand playing football again.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at the hit it took for Shields to suffer his fifth documented concussion at Jacksonville which resulted in him feeling symptoms for more than a year. I highly doubt that he will be able to withstand playing football again.
I remember the hit..he barely did anything. My response was more so believing he’ll make it out of camp.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly hope Shields doesn't even make it to a preseason game for his health's sake.
I agree with your point, but... if not making it to a preseason game involves another concussion , I certainly don't want that to be the reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with your point, but... if not making it to a preseason game involves another concussion , I certainly don't want that to be the reason.

Obviously I don't want that to be the reason either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts