Sam Shields wants to play again

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea for him, but he feels ready for a comeback.
(JSOnline, multiple postings on the Packer page of sportspyder)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Sam, enjoy your life, but I don't want to see you in a Packers uniform again only to watch another routine football play put you into another 2 year recovery, if you ever do.

It's not worth it for him or is.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring him back cheap...if he is cleared to play and wants to that’s his decision I get the concerns but let’s gooo

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say pass. That'd be great if he pulled this off and became a great corner again, but I'd give that less than a 10% chance.

Reaction score
We watched him fall and not even touch another player and he was lost for an entire season. Bring him back...

as a Defensive Secondary coach

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Maybe his time away has allowed his situation to heal properly. Definitely worth a look if cleared.

One of my fav Packers. Go Sammie Go!

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a cheap deal heck ya I’d bring him in, he’s rolling the dice more than we would be imo.
*however wouldn’t he be suspended right off the bat for answering the door when the police showed up with a joint hanging out of his mouth?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
On a cheap deal heck ya I’d bring him in, he’s rolling the dice more than we would be imo.
*however wouldn’t he be suspended right off the bat for answering the door when the police showed up with a joint hanging out of his mouth?

Probably just 2 games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly what’s to lose at a vet minimum
A roster spot and cap space to a guy that will most likely be on IR doing your team no good after he falls to the ground after a routine tackle. If his last concussion was one like Adams got, fine, I understand. But they haven't been. They've been relatively normal football plays that have kept him out of games while on a roster for a season and a half already. On top of that it has taken him another year of no roster spot to maybe be recovered from it. That should worry you.

While he is healthy all he's going to do is take a spot, reps and money away from someone that might actually be there for the season. He won't be.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
A roster spot and cap space to a guy that will most likely be on IR doing your team no good after he falls to the ground after a routine tackle. .

Like Rollins? At least Shields can play man to man. He says he still has the speed too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after his Achilles injury, odds are against him making our roster again. If he does, do I need to point out the difference between soft tissue and brain injuries? Sam isn't coming back to be anyone's 4th guy off the bench. And he isn't going to holdup to a season either

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
after his Achilles injury, odds are against him making our roster again. If he does, do I need to point out the difference between soft tissue and brain injuries? Sam isn't coming back to be anyone's 4th guy off the bench. And he isn't going to holdup to a season either

We simply don't know his current progress with his medical condition. He was our best cover corner hands down when healthy. If he is cleared I don't see the harm in giving him a shot. Makes more sense then bringing back Devon House.

This news is rather exciting.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why you work players out, see if the physical is there and then after that, contract time. Give him a 1 year prove it deal, then if he plays at least 75% of the season, we talk extension.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why you work players out, see if the physical is there and then after that, contract time. Give him a 1 year prove it deal, then if he plays at least 75% of the season, we talk extension.
you tell me how you work a guy out that missed 1 1/2 seasons of football due to a brain injury and then another year away from football. 5 concussions in 7 years, in the last 2 seasons with the team he missed 18 games due to concussion and as of this time last year he still hadn't cleared concussion protocols. To make it even worse, even as late as September of last year he was STILL having concussion symptoms meaning even if he were still on a team he still couldn't even practice.

you tell me how you "work him out" They understand knee injuries and probabilities. They understand broken bones. They have timetables for everything and can test agility, strength, and speed. You tell me the test for knowing the next fairly routine contact a guy has won't give him his 6th concussion after having symptoms for at least a year after the last one? Just curious how you'd go about doing that? I don't think any team clears him anyway. he may want to play, but so did Nick Collins and Finley and a host of other guys who's bodies said no.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a guy here who is very concussion prone, and had some major issues coming from them.

As much as I would love him back, because he was a tremendous player and I've followed him from college to now, sometimes things are bigger than football. His health, is bigger than football.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Rollins? At least Shields can play man to man. He says he still has the speed too.
Deion Sanders probably claims to "still have the speed" too lol. Not saying Sam doesn't .... but I think his injury history is enough to stay away.

Reaction score
It’s tempting because it’s one of 2 positions that we desperately need a Veteran presence that can come in and start day 1. I’ve been a huge proponent of fixing this through FA this year but Sam is 30 yrs old and grades out with a poor medical history. He’s got too many ? marks IMO.
It’s nothing personal, I hate that he had to deal with this trauma and he’ll always be a Packer in my mind. He will forever be prone to reoccurrence of this type of injury and it’s best to look at other healthy options. He’s not the only answer and there’s zero guarantee he’ll regain his 2015 form even if he was completely healthy. Look at what 3 years off did to a blazing fast Michael Vick as he was a completely different player when coming back. Definitely not the same QB that ran around KGB in his prime like he was standing still.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not worth it for him or is.
You don't know that. There are far more dangerous jobs than playing football that make FAR less money. Maybe nobody should do those jobs either because they're not worth it. Nobody knows whether it's worth it better than he does.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Shields is medically cleared and wants to play again I believe the Packers should kick the tires. The CB position needs to be upgraded and Sam would bring that veteran leadership, and experience this position needs. This would not be an expensive signing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't know that. There are far more dangerous jobs than playing football that make FAR less money. Maybe nobody should do those jobs either because they're not worth it. Nobody knows whether it's worth it better than he does.
Oh boy, do honestly believe I don't know about risk assessment? We're not talking about a healthy guy choosing to work with farm equipment or a healthy man choosing to play football or be a coal miner.

A guy with existing lung disease probably shouldn't be working in a coal mine. A guy who's careless with his hands and likes to wear loose clothing shouldn't be working around a PTO and a guy who has symptoms for a year plus after his 5th concussion in 7 years after a routine football play probably should look for other work.

And how are you going to clear him? Hit him in the head a few times just to see?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First... as I said above... I think his concussion history is too big a risk and for his sake... he should not play. However, if we are going to ignore that and say... "not our problem" Then a question of how much is the team risking by signing him comes up... Giving him a roster spot is a bit of a risk... but of course the biggest factor is how much we would have to pay him. We have very little cap space this year and giving several million dollars to a guy that has a very good chance of finishing the year on IR sounds crazy to me. Some have suggested paying him veteran minimum... I highly doubt that Shields would play for that even if that is all he is worth.... He left the league making a lot of money and I can't imagine why he would want to risk his health unless he expects to get paid a lot more than veteran minimum.

Latest posts