Sam Shields wants to play again

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We can talk about hoping that Sheilds doesn't decide to play again for the sake of his long term health until we are blue in the face. At the end of the day, he's a grown man and if he decides that he wants to play football and a team signs him, he's going to play football. That part is simple. Let's not make things more difficult than they are.

Now the difficult part is assessing whether or not he's worth a roster spot. If he's deemed healthy and looks to be in shape, I see nothing wrong with a cheap 1 year contract.

Sure he might get hurt after a few games. How is that any different from 50% of our roster any damn way? I'd much rather take a chance on Sheilds being 70% of what he used to be, possibly playing fewer snaps than relying on the poo poo platter of assorted crap that served as a sorry excuse for depth over the past few seasons.

If he decides to give it a shot, and he looks good, do it.

Reaction score
I'm just reasoning through the arguments. I think its a catch 22. IMO, If he comes back he will NOT play for a minimum contract (or somewhere in that neighborhood) and we will NOT pay him more than a minimum deal (again within reason). The deal we would even consider would be like him being on unemployment compared to 10M a year he was making. Have we factored in how much money was lost on his contract after the last injury? This guy is expensive (nothing personal Sam) and we don't have 75M in Cap to play around with here.
Plus, we're within earshot of embarking into no-man's land on a QB contract resign that will be historic as far as expenditures go. We can't afford to make a mistake in the meantime

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Shields is medically cleared and wants to play again I believe the Packers should kick the tires. The CB position needs to be upgraded and Sam would bring that veteran leadership, and experience this position needs. This would not be an expensive signing.
Your final sentence seems to be a declaration without any support.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh boy, do honestly believe I don't know about risk assessment? We're not talking about a healthy guy choosing to work with farm equipment or a healthy man choosing to play football or be a coal miner.

A guy with existing lung disease probably shouldn't be working in a coal mine. A guy who's careless with his hands and likes to wear loose clothing shouldn't be working around a PTO and a guy who has symptoms for a year plus after his 5th concussion in 7 years after a routine football play probably should look for other work.

You can say "should" and "shouldn't" all you want, but as an ardent proponent of individual liberty, I will adamantly defend his right to seek the employment of his choice. That's his decision and his alone.

And how are you going to clear him? Hit him in the head a few times just to see?

And that's another issue entirely. It's up to individual teams and their medical staffs to determine if he can be cleared to play. But it's nobody's business but Sam Shields' if he wants to try to get back in the game. If no team will do it, he can rest assured that he tried his best.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your final sentence seems to be a declaration without any support.

Just curious what kind of contract do you think Shields will get. A CB out of the league for 2 years forced to retire because of concussion issues. Also, if he is signed will most likely be looking at a 2 game suspension. I'm guessing if a team signs Shields it will be a one year prove it deal for the veteran minimum. Shields was a shutdown CB in this league. I loved his speed and his long arms. He has been gone for 2 years he will certainly not be the same player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say "should" and "shouldn't" all you want, but as an ardent proponent of individual liberty, I will adamantly defend his right to seek the employment of his choice. That's his decision and his alone.

And that's another issue entirely. It's up to individual teams and their medical staffs to determine if he can be cleared to play. But it's nobody's business but Sam Shields' if he wants to try to get back in the game. If no team will do it, he can rest assured that he tried his best.
Of course he can do what he wants. Wasn't my ****ing point at all.

He has made 30 million dollars and the rest of his life to live. There are lots of things in life I think would be fun, cool, exciting, incredibly stupid but would like to do anyway, but then I've learned actions have consequences.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there many current players that had neck back injuries or concussion histories similar to Sam or J'Mike or Collins that returned to the league for any team? Seems to me, when a player gets news of a narrowed vertebra, a neck/back bone fusion, or reputation of easily concussed, they might as well move on to the next stage of their life.
ETA besides Peyton Manning (I think)?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious what kind of contract do you think Shields will get. A CB out of the league for 2 years forced to retire because of concussion issues. Also, if he is signed will most likely be looking at a 2 game suspension. I'm guessing if a team signs Shields it will be a one year prove it deal for the veteran minimum. Shields was a shutdown CB in this league. I loved his speed and his long arms. He has been gone for 2 years he will certainly not be the same player.
lol.. again the last sentence strikes me... if he is not the same player... why would we want to sign an undersized corner with a history of concussions and a likely suspension facing him?

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol.. again the last sentence strikes me... if he is not the same player... why would we want to sign an undersized corner with a history of concussions and a likely suspension facing him?
Because he could still be an upgrade over the current players we have at the position.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just reasoning through the arguments. I think its a catch 22. IMO, If he comes back he will NOT play for a minimum contract (or somewhere in that neighborhood) and we will NOT pay him more than a minimum deal (again within reason). The deal we would even consider would be like him being on unemployment compared to 10M a year he was making. Have we factored in how much money was lost on his contract after the last injury? This guy is expensive (nothing personal Sam) and we don't have 75M in Cap to play around with here.
Plus, we're within earshot of embarking into no-man's land on a QB contract resign that will be historic as far as expenditures go. We can't afford to make a mistake in the meantime

Do you honestly think that a 30 year old corner with severe concussion issues, who last played 2 full seasons ago when he went down like a sack of potatoes with a major concussion after a nothing burger of a play and was still experiencing symptoms a year later, is going to be able to announce his return and get a significant contract?

IF,and this is a huge if, but IF someone gives him a deal, it'll be for veteran minimum. Or something with a very low base salary and perhaps incentives for games active, so yes something in that neighborhood. But no way no how is he able to command anything significant at this point in time. And if he does want to return badly enough he'll take what he can get.

Reaction score
Do you honestly think that a 30 year old corner with severe concussion issues, who last played 2 full seasons ago when he went down like a sack of potatoes with a major concussion after a nothing burger of a play and was still experiencing symptoms a year later, is going to be able to announce his return and get a significant contract?

IF,and this is a huge if, but IF someone gives him a deal, it'll be for veteran minimum. Or something with a very low base salary and perhaps incentives for games active, so yes something in that neighborhood. But no way no how is he able to command anything significant at this point in time. And if he does want to return badly enough he'll take what he can get.
Taking that a step further, would the Packers even seriously eat up a roster spot for him?
Too many risks. Sometimes it’s best just to let bygones be bygones

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the roster argument would be very important if he showed anything near his previous ability. Take a look at last year's 53rd guy and see if you wouldn't trade him for a potential adequate CB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved Shields, and still do, but have no desire to see him get hurt any more. The Packers can't protect him from playing in the NFL again, but they can make the right decision. Sam feels good because he hasn't had his bell rung in two years and has been up in smoke for a while. That doesn't mean that he won't get another. There was just an article this week talking about the real CTE problem stemming from repeated blows to the head. Sam needs to find purpose in the rest of his life and be at peace.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Risk management says no. If someone else wants to risk him getting another one, that is on him and them, but we don’t need to risk his well being nor our liability. Just business here.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a lawyer and don't play one on TV - just wondering what liability the team would have.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a lawyer and don't play one on TV - just wondering what liability the team would have.

If he is medically cleared by independent and team medical professionals, what is the liability. It would be the same liability as any other player who is injured playing football.

I absolutely disagree with these "motherly" concerns about how we/the Packers should think of Shield's long term health. If that were the case nobody would be playing football. He's a big boy that wants to play football and make some money and assuredly understands the risks.

If he is medically cleared, shows he can still play, and will accept a vet minimum contract for a one deal prove it deal, what really is the risk here?

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is medically cleared by independent and team medical professionals, what is the liability. It would be the same liability as any other player who is injured playing football.

I absolutely disagree with these "motherly" concerns about how we/the Packers should think of Shield's long term health. If that were the case nobody would be playing football. He's a big boy that wants to play football and make some money and assuredly understands the risks.

If he is medically cleared, shows he can still play, and will accept a vet minimum contract for a one deal prove it deal, what really is the risk here?
Right, I was tempted to respond to some of these posts with “Are you sam shields’ Mom?”

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

a guy has knee surgery his sophomore year of college is what one with critical thinking skills and a healthy risk management plan would call a low risk signing after his senior year in college entering the draft. A guy with 5 brain injuries in 7 season, with the last couple coming after plays that increasingly looking like your garden variety "routine" NFL plays and not your stood up and blasted under the chin type blows, is a guy one would label high risk.

what's so hard to figure out? quit acting like all injuries are the same, all consequences are the same and every player situation is the same. Life always that black and white to you? Maybe if you actually had a mother... LOL

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a guy has knee surgery his sophomore year of college is what one with critical thinking skills and a healthy risk management plan would call a low risk signing after his senior year in college entering the draft. A guy with 5 brain injuries in 7 season, with the last couple coming after plays that increasingly looking like your garden variety "routine" NFL plays and not your stood up and blasted under the chin type blows, is a guy one would label high risk.

what's so hard to figure out? quit acting like all injuries are the same, all consequences are the same and every player situation is the same. Life always that black and white to you? Maybe if you actually had a mother... LOL

Nothing too hard to figure out here. Packers could use a good (or even serviceable) CB. Shields says he wants to come back and if medically cleared and the Packers feel his football play is worth it, sign him to a vet minimum one year contract. Pretty black and white.

I'm trying to figure out where your concern lies, is it with the overall health of Shields or with not wanting the Packers take a flyer on a "high risk" guy. Maybe its both but either way what is the Packers risk, wasting the 53rd spot on the roster at a chance Shields could come back and play well at a position we really need help at?

No need to get all worked up, opinions will vary on this. Your last comment tells me the type of person you are.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your last comment tells me you have no sense of humor and know nothing about me. Worked up is pretty far away from where I post from,

Anyway, I think the odds any team clears Shields is close to zero

Members online

Latest posts