Saints loss funny to me

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I find the Saints loss to the Rams just poetic justice for running up the score against the Colts. The Colts were down and out and the Saints just kept running the score up. Any thoughts?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any other top team that gets beaten in our conference or division can never be a bad thing.

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any other top team that gets beaten in our conference or division can never be a bad thing.

It might be at times. The worse seed the saints get for the playoffs, the higher chance we have of playing them in our first playoff game. I would rather the saints were the second seeded team so we can only play them in the NFC championship game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I find it funny, but remember how everyone kept calling the Rams our trap game, or the Broncos our trap game? It was the Saints that got caught in the trap not us.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Just so you know, "Running the score up" was with backups in the 4th quarter, they didn't run a single pass play after the 3rd quarter when Brees was benched, and that last touchdown to go up 60 points was an interception returned for a touchdown. If anyone watched that game, they would have learned that.

Why didn't the Colts even try to stop them? They let a team that struggles running the ball, run all over them for 200+ rushing yards.

But yeah, they "ran the score up".

If you give up 60 points in a game, it's your fault for not being able to stop them, I said the same thing when the Titans let the Patriots rack up 59 on their bad defense a few years ago.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you know, "Running the score up" was with backups in the 4th quarter, they didn't run a single pass play after the 3rd quarter when Brees was benched, and that last touchdown to go up 60 points was an interception returned for a touchdown. If anyone watched that game, they would have learned that.

Why didn't the Colts even try to stop them? They let a team that struggles running the ball, run all over them for 200+ rushing yards.

But yeah, they "ran the score up".

If you give up 60 points in a game, it's your fault for not being able to stop them, I said the same thing when the Titans let the Patriots rack up 59 on their bad defense a few years ago.
Thank you for that perspective and I agree.

I don't understand why it's wrong for a team to run up the score.
What are they supposed to do?
Let the other team get within three and then start pulling ahead again?
If the team doesn't like it that the other runs up the score, then they could always just leave or get better.

When the Pats ran up a game that was broadcast here, the network switched to something else instead of showing it to the end.
My friend suspects they switched because of the high score.
Is that true?
Did networks switch during the Saints/Colts game?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be at times. The worse seed the saints get for the playoffs, the higher chance we have of playing them in our first playoff game. I would rather the saints were the second seeded team so we can only play them in the NFC championship game.
Just as long as it's all played at Lambeau it's all good.

OP
OP
Munch

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I'll concede the 2 touchdowns in the fourth quarter as the pick is not the Saints fault as with the poor tackling on the run BUT when you are up 34 at the have and come out blasting with 2 passing touchdowns there is no call for that. We all want certain teams to lose or win but by respectful margins. What I'm saying is that the Saints could have slowed the pony after the half when it was 34 -0 instead of padding stats at 48-0.
I still stand by my previous statement saying I'm glad they got a great big piece of humble pie after the loss to the Rams. I hope it was the best flavor too: sour grapes.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I find the Saints loss to the Rams just poetic justice for running up the score against the Colts. The Colts were down and out and the Saints just kept running the score up. Any thoughts?
It's Karma baby. That and the Rams were wearing their true colors before the evil witch Georgia changed them.

We are now up 2 games for home field advantage thru out the playoffs and have the tiebreaker which really means we are 3 games up on the only other team I consider a threat to the pack. Still half the season to go but the stars are starting to align.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't complain about them running up the score since I've been wanting the Packers to do just that nearly every week just because they can. However, I didn't shed a tear over the Saint's misfortune against the Rams. I found it funny too! :)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a team that went into the game overconfident, but was overwhelmed at the LOS both on offense and defense, and that when they realized this wasn't a gimme, it was too late.

I do think they went overconfident because they ran up the score.

I still believe they're the 2nd best team in the NFC. But I think the gap between us and them is substantial, and will only get bigger as we get better on defense.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when people complain about "Running up the score." It's called "Doing your job." An offense's job is to score points. A defenses job is to prevent points.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when people complain about "Running up the score." It's called "Doing your job." An offense's job is to score points. A defenses job is to prevent points.
Yep. And overconfidence, or complacency, can come as a result. They don't necessarily do, but it's a regular occurrence. That's why people worry about it. But I'm with you, I don't have a problem with it.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya...what Sparta said...Tell me, how your suppose to tell you're 2nd & 3rd stringers ( who many will not get another game chance this year), to lay down & not play their best, when they get the chance to get in a game?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I don't think the Saints ran it up on us. We just really suck, gave up early I felt and are sucking for Luck.

I am thrilled though, I want Luck. Think of the future here :) This team better not screw this up.......

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Then you can just thank the Saints for Luck! :D

I only want Luck if Caldwell is fired. If we keep that loser known as Jim Caldwell (and who knows, we might do it since Polian/Irsay are losing their minds) then I would almost encourage Luck to pull an Elway if we got the first pick. I have heard rumors Luck could pull his weight in the draft anyway.

Luck can be great. I don't want Caldwell to get his hands on him and taint him.

Skins with Shanahan might be a good fit for Luck actually.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'll concede the 2 touchdowns in the fourth quarter as the pick is not the Saints fault as with the poor tackling on the run BUT when you are up 34 at the have and come out blasting with 2 passing touchdowns there is no call for that. We all want certain teams to lose or win but by respectful margins. What I'm saying is that the Saints could have slowed the pony after the half when it was 34 -0 instead of padding stats at 48-0.
I still stand by my previous statement saying I'm glad they got a great big piece of humble pie after the loss to the Rams. I hope it was the best flavor too: sour grapes.

But when the Packers "run the score up" to 40 points, like in the Denver game, still throwing the ball in the 4th quarter, no one complains but they do complain when another team does it, and does it with a backup led offense running the ball in the 4th quarter. It's always New England, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and of course, Detroit are all bad guys for "running the score up" when a team can't stop them. I don't even like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Detroit but if they are still scoring in the second half when the game is out of reach, that's the defense's fault for not even being able to stop them.

You know, the Saints beat us down back in 2008 scoring 50 points against us, and I didn't complain because our defense did absolutely nothing to stop them in that game.

Totally agree, and if the defense can't stop them, that's their fault.

Thank you for that perspective and I agree.

I don't understand why it's wrong for a team to run up the score.
What are they supposed to do?
Let the other team get within three and then start pulling ahead again?
If the team doesn't like it that the other runs up the score, then they could always just leave or get better.

When the Pats ran up a game that was broadcast here, the network switched to something else instead of showing it to the end.
My friend suspects they switched because of the high score.
Is that true?
Did networks switch during the Saints/Colts game?

They couldn't change Networks because it was the Sunday evening game, or they probably would have.