Safeties

D

Deleted member 6794

So we could be broke and in a Denver cap situation? I'm not saying signing Byrd would have done that to us, but if we sign him, and it starts a pattern because there's an improvement, I don't want to be signing big name FAs every year.

I've never asked the Packers to sign a big free agent before this year, but I think Byrd would have been a perfect fit. The Packers cap situation would be the same it is now with Peppers being signed instead (I'm well aware of the fact that Peppers deal is mostly likely a one-year deal, but right now he's counting against the cap in 2015 and 2016).

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's 2.5 per year, and a friend of Byrd's (guy he went to HS with) told me he (Byrd) didn't want to play for GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's 2.5 per year, and a friend of Byrd's (guy he went to HS with) told me he (Byrd) didn't want to play for GB.

Peppers deal would count $8.5 million against the cap if Peppers is released after next season, if he's on the team in 2015 he would count $12 million against the cap.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think the best to hope for at this point is for TT to draft two solid safety prospects and have them compete with Hyde. Hopefully one of them rises above. Last year he drafted two running back prospects early and it worked out pretty well. I like getting Mosley in the first and using a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th to get two safety prospects. Mosley appears to be the much safer pick and is a game changer adding him to current linebacker corp.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's 7.5 guaranteed over 3 years. That's 2.5 per year if he's released.

it's actually $8.5 million as his $1M base salary for this season is guranteed as well. If he would be released after next season that would result in $5M dead money counting against the cap.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
it's actually $8.5 million as his $1M base salary for this season is guranteed as well. If he would be released after next season that would result in $5M dead money counting against the cap.
Once again, we can prorate that instead of taking it on the chin.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, we can prorate that instead of taking it on the chin.

If the Packers cut him before June 1 the entire dead money would count against the 2015 cap. After that the $5 million would be evenly split towards the cap in 2015 and 2016. Doesn't make any difference though as teams are allowed to roll over remaining cap space.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Deone Bucannon be the shocking first round pick for us, if HaHa and Pryor or both gone?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Could Deone Bucannon be the shocking first round pick for us, if HaHa and Pryor or both gone?

I have brought up Deone Bucannon from the early beginning and he is one of my favorite players in the draft. I have watched him play several times in person and he can flat out play. Most have him projected in 2-3rd round. I couldn't see TT spending the 21 pick on him. If Pryor, Dix, and Mosley are gone maybe TT will trade back and Bucannon could be one of the players he could scoop up. Some people will say he doesn't fit our scheme but I think Fast, Strong, atheletic, and fearless hitters with ball skills can have a place found for them in any scheme. He would add immediate improvement somewhere on our defense whether you line him up in the box or up high and let him come down field. Is he worth a 1st round pick? I think so. Can you get him somewhere in the 2nd? I think so.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I really like Terrence Brooks (FSU) too and he would be more of a true hy-brid free safety. What I hope they don't do is reach for Jimmie Ward at 21.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have brought up Deone Bucannon from the early beginning and he is one of my favorite players in the draft. I have watched him play several times in person and he can flat out play. Most have him projected in 2-3rd round. I couldn't see TT spending the 21 pick on him. If Pryor, Dix, and Mosley are gone maybe TT will trade back and Bucannon could be one of the players he could scoop up. Some people will say he doesn't fit our scheme but I think Fast, Strong, atheletic, and fearless hitters with ball skills can have a place found for them in any scheme. He would add immediate improvement somewhere on our defense whether you line him up in the box or up high and let him come down field. Is he worth a 1st round pick? I think so. Can you get him somewhere in the 2nd? I think so.

It´s the same story with Bucannon as with Jimmie Ward. The guy´s a strong safety and we don´t need another one as wll line up Burnett at that spot.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s the same story with Bucannon as with Jimmie Ward. The guy´s a strong safety and we don´t need another one as wll line up Burnett at that spot.
Maybe but I am not so sure about that.

#1- Not sure what the team thinks there, the seem to think think Burnett can be a ball-hawk
#2- Tackling is also not a strength of Burnett. I've seen so many runners bounce off his arm tackles
#3- Strong and Free safety.... they want our safeties to be able to do both
#4- If we can upgrade on Burnett and Richardson, there ain't nothing wrong with that

I saw someone's mock yesterday for us, first 4 picks:
  • #1- ILB CJ Mosley, Alabama
  • #2- Safety Terrence Brooks, Florida State
  • #3- WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss
  • #3- Safety Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

And just another one similar overnight, also with 2 safeties taken. I like that idea.
  • 1st Round: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
  • 2nd Round: Chris Borland, ILB, UW
  • 3rd Round: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford
  • 3rd Round: Justin Ellis, NT, LA Tech
  • 4th Round: Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
  • 5th Round: Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor
  • 5th Round: Justin Britt, OT, Mizzou
  • 6th Round: Morgan Breslin, OLB, USC
  • 7th Round: Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State

D

Deleted member 6794

#1- Not sure what the team thinks there, the seem to think think Burnett can be a ball-hawk

Burnett doesn´t possess the abilites to play FS. The only time the Packers primarily lined him up there was in 2011 after Collins went down and they had no other options as Peprah would have been even worse.

#2- Tackling is also not a strength of Burnett. I've seen so many runners bounce off his arm tackles

He´s actually a decent tackler, not a great one, but way better than he´s in coverage.

#3- Strong and Free safety.... they want our safeties to be able to do both

No, they don´t. No team in the league truly wants interchangable safeties. By saying that the Packers really admit that they haven´t found anyone to replace Collins at FS.

#4- If we can upgrade on Burnett and Richardson, there ain't nothing wrong with that

I wouldn´t mind replacing Burnett, but after the contract he signed last season he´ll start this season.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Terrence Brooks (FSU) too and he would be more of a true hy-brid free safety. What I hope they don't do is reach for Jimmie Ward at 21.

Don't think you need to worry about TT reaching in the first. That's one of the rarest things you will ever see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If the big problem with your Safety spot is that you can't cover the back end, then how is drafting another guy that can't cover the back end improving your defense? You hitter fetish guys **** me off. Love Buchannon, but fact is he doesn't fix our problems, and therefore does not make us a better football team.

BTW Buchannon to NE in the 1st.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It´s the same story with B.ucannon as with Jimmie Ward. The guy´s a strong safety and we don´t need another one as wll line up Burnett at that spot.

Somehow I knew you were going to remind me of that. lol. I really like Terrence Brooks too and I can see why you do as well. I am by no means saying he is another Nick Collins but if you look at his measurables and combine numbers there very comparable. He looks very fast on film and isn't afraid to mix it up. Also, He played on the national championship team and was one of the top players on a very fast, good defense. And he is a true "hybrid free safety". If TT drafts him maybe people will stop talking about him not getting Jarius Byrd

I would be so happy if our first three rounds went like this.

1. CJ Mosley LB

2. Terrence Brooks FS

3. Bruce Ellington WR

3. Justin Ellis DT

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow I knew you were going to remind me of that. lol. I really like Terrence Brooks too and I can see why you do as well. I am by no means saying he is another Nick Collins but if you look at his measurables and combine numbers there very comparable. He looks very fast on film and isn't afraid to mix it up. Also, He played on the national championship team and was one of the top players on a very fast, good defense. And he is a true "hybrid free safety". If TT drafts him maybe people will stop talking about him not getting Jarius Byrd

I would be so happy if our first three rounds went like this.

1. CJ Mosley LB

2. Terrence Brooks FS

3. Bruce Ellington WR

3. Justin Ellis DT

Minus Ellington

Capper1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts on Vinnie Sunseri? In say the 5th round? He might be the best ballhawk of all the safeties, when healthy. He's young and hurt right now, but might be a great 2nd safety to draft and stash for a year. Thoughts?

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts on Vinnie Sunseri? In say the 5th round? He might be the best ballhawk of all the safeties, when healthy. He's young and hurt right now, but might be a great 2nd safety to draft and stash for a year. Thoughts?

He isn't much of an athlete, would have to play in the box. He reminds me of McMillian with better ball skills.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Where did you get "best ballhawk" btw? I can think of a lot of safeties with better skills and stats in that category in this years draft

Capper1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me throw one more out there...I'm on board with Hyde playing some safety...but, what are people's thoughts on Tramon Williams moving there (and we draft a corner in the first round). Here me out. He's a willing tackler, especially the last 8 games last year (all we really want is to get the ball carrier down when playing the FS spot). That play he made in the playoffs against San Fran is exactly the type of "baiting" / anticipation that we need back there. He's a smart player, experienced, and I never thought of him as a guy that could move to safety, but when he played Kaepernick the way he did on that play, it brought the thought to my mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts