1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Safeties

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by FrankRizzo, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Luca

Luca Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    That's obviously a difficult question. I honestly don't think there are only few guys in the draft that might do both.

First, I think that Jimmy Ward could play free safety, strong safety and slot corner. He is solid in both man and zone coverage. So I think he might play centerfield and in the box as well. His size however is a big concern. I do however feel that he might be a better free safety than strong safety. I do however believe that he is overrated by some. I would never spend a first rounder on this guy.

Second, Calvin Pryor. Pryor is an excellent in the box defender. He also has the speed and athletic ability to play centerfield, but I doubt whether he has the cover skills to play free safety.

Third, maybe Dion Bailey. He seems an instinctive guy that can make tackle in the run game and cover. The question is whether he is fast enough to play centerfield. I think he will be a strong safety in the NFL.

I do however like Clinton-Dix and Terrence Brooks better than those three guys.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,573
    All of the three guys you mentioned could play free safety, I highly doubt they could play the position as a single high safety though. Therefore they aren´t the players the Packers should be looking for.

3. Dylan Hoppe

Dylan Hoppe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    That's what I was saying. No disagreement here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    He's saying that's what we want, so that's what we'll draft. I'm saying it aint that easy, and we'll draft a specialized guy and let him develop into a complete player.

5. Dylan Hoppe

Dylan Hoppe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    Pryor doesn't have "speed"
    He's actually one of the slower safeties of the draft. At least rounds 1-3 prospects

6. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +394
    Pryor doesn't have a "speed problem". He also has a quick burst in short spaces. Some people question his cover skills and ability to be true free safety at next level.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  7. Dylan Hoppe

Dylan Hoppe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +70
    Exactly. Short spaces. I don't think he could play FS. He isn't fast enough to cover in a single high formation. And yes, as a FS, that's a "speed problem" Therefore, he's not the guy I want drafted in the 1st round.

8. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +394
    I was much higher on him earlier. I still like him better then Dix even as a free safety. Not sure it really matters because I doubt either will be there at 21 with so many teams needing to reach for a safety. The free safety I like most in the draft is Terrence Brooks .

9. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +63
    Agree we need to pick two safeties, just not sure round 1 is the time to do it. I think if Mosley or Shazier are there (and Pryor, Dix and Ward are gone) we take one of them and trade up if necessary in round 2 to get Bucanon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +355
    I agree that if those 3 are gone they should not take a safety in round 1.
    I don't think Mosley will be around and I wouldn't want Shazier in round 1 either.
    I'm thinking in that case they should trade back to possibly trade up in the 2nd as well.

11. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +434
    Ok, most would obviously prefer having guys that do one job and one job only. I personally think that is a great idea when the guy is AMAZING at that one job but, short of having Polamalu, Byrd, Thomas, it can make sense to have two guys who are interchangeable in order to give defensive schemes additional variability. Packers don't currently have a guy who is terrific at one specific safety role, if they get a guy that is, then I'm all for that guy staying in one spot.

12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,573
    Bucannon and Ward are both strong safeties the Packers don´t need. Shazier doesn´t fit the defensive scheme.