1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Ryan Grant

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by chibiabos, May 14, 2008.

1. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course he's going to say that. He doesn't want to ruin any leverage. In fact it's the only thing he's got. Say you won't play and that's it.

I actually do like that Grant is taking this to the Packers and not the National media. Walker did his part to make it known that he wanted a new contract. I still think ESPN has yet to cover the Ryan Grant story. I think Grant is going about this the right way so far. Now we'll see what happens from here on out.

2. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Still there have always been 1-year wonders, I think Grant needs to play a full season before wanting the cash. Yea, he had a great season, but he needs to show he can do it again or nothing will get done. The Packers gave him an opportunity to play he should not be wanting more money when we salvaged his career. I tell Grant to shut up and play before he asks for the dollars.

3. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bingo!

I like Grant, and think he's good. But he could still turn out to be another Samkon Gado. He did have some real sweet runs, and in the open field, he's deadly.

But, until he plays a full season...

4. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    well, he won't be playing any football anywhere until he signs a contract. he can't play for us if he isn't signed.

5. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I personally, could care less. If we lose him so be it. I have total faith in Brandon Jackson right now.

6. djcubez

djcubez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, what does this guy think he's doing? He's got the number one RB position locked or next season and, if he does well, which most signs are pointing towards, he'll receive a rather hefty extension. Now, with what he's doing now, he might be able to sign a decent offer, but there's no way the Packers will offer the kind of money they would if he'd just earn it this season. So, to put it bluntly, I think he's shooting himself in the foot.

7. wranglerjeansfan

wranglerjeansfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    he is not holding out, they just have not completed a deal just yet. they've gotten pretty close. the fact is, why would he rush back to full participation in ota. 1) His desired deal hasnt been completed yet, but will be soon if he waits a little more and finishes the negotiating and 2) he is not under contract now, so there is no insurance if he gets injured in ota's.

8. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Grant talks heat up
    By Pete Dougherty - May 28, 2008

Ryan Grant's contract talks hit a substantive stage late last week and left Grant's agent optimistic he and the Green Bay Packers can grind out a deal in the coming weeks.

Grant, the Packers' starting halfback, is in an unusual position in seeking a long-term deal, because though he's been out of college for three years, he's played only one season in the NFL and can't become an unrestricted free agent until 2011, when he'll be 28. But after almost single-handedly supplying the Packers with a respectable rushing game the second half of last season, Grant is looking for some financial security while in his prime.

His agent, Alan Herman, has said Grant won't sign the $370,000 minimum tender for a second-year pro. However, after a 1½-hour conversation with Packers negotiator Russ Ball late last week, Herman said the team is open to a long-term deal, though it will require major compromises by both sides.

"The important issue is the club has indicated they're not big players in the free-agent market and they like to take care of their own," Herman said. "Ryan had truly an extraordinary year and it wasn't like he was a flash in the pan. He played 12 games, that's a lot of games, at the highest level. Clearly, they know what they have and that's why the opportunity to get something done and keep him there for a long time is kind of apparent."

9. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I got to chat a little bit with Rob from the GreenBay Press Gazette about Grant, and Rouse a little bit.

Here.

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like something is inevitable. I hope the Packers give him deal slightly better than the one Justin Fargas got with the Raiders rather than something in the range of Michael Turner.

11. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

12. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Grant is precisely the player who could get screwed by the owners opting out of the CBA. Under this 2010 will be the uncapped year and the rules for that year state that players will need 6 years of experience prior to becoming a FA. Therefore, Grant could be stuck as an exclusive rights player for another 5 years! Considering the average career for an NFL RB is about 3 years, he doesn't have much of a chance to make a big paycheck in the NFL.

That being said, he's doing all the right things. He's an out of contract player who's attending meetings and working out with the team. Because he's out of contract, he's not allowed participate in the team's organized team activities practices:
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=753720

Basically, there's no reason to be upset with either side and there's also little question that Grant will be given a deal prior to TC. I'd expect a decent 3 year contract with a modest signing bonus.

GO PACK GO!!!

13. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that's the way to do it.