Ryan Grant?

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know the status of signing Grant again? i havent been able to find anything about it. how much is he getting?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he'll get nothing and like it!

In all honesty, I don't think there has been a peep about him getting any raise or contract extension. He is a second year player and the Packers have exclusive rights to him for two more seasons. He will probably have to do what he did last year, play for the league-minimum. And that's fine with me. Let's see what he can do over a full season before we go signing him to some crazy deal.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

In all honesty, I don't think there has been a peep about him getting any raise or contract extension. He is a second year player and the Packers have exclusive rights to him for two more seasons. He will probably have to do what he did last year, play for the league-minimum. And that's fine with me. Let's see what he can do over a full season before we go signing him to some crazy deal.

Yeah, I'd imagine if he keeps the pace he did last season, they'll give him an extension. I seriously doubt they'd let a guy this young and inexperienced get away with a huge contract after half a season.

Ted worked hard to get that cap room dammit! :lol:

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Love the Caddyshack quote....I personally think that they will do something for Grant that will make him happy yet cost significantly less than it would to do something down the road(assuming he continues at the level he is at). I could see 3yrs 9mil - that would be comparable to a low 1st DC and much less than a veteran FA RB. I think it would keep him happy and he could still see one more big payday.

While he really has no leverage, GB does not either as their running game was anemic before he took over the load - and with a 1st year starter at QB a solid running game is more important than ever.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't see a situation where he'd be demanding big money now anyway. he should know that he won't get a blockbuster now anyway. the best he would get is something like 3 year 9 $mill. If he's smart, he'll wait it out, bide his time, go about his business, keep kicking ***, and THEN pick up the huge payday.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he performs well this season, TT will reward him with a fat contract extension. That's the way the ball rolls in Green Bay. Work hard, get rewarded.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i can't see a situation where he'd be demanding big money now anyway. he should know that he won't get a blockbuster now anyway. the best he would get is something like 3 year 9 $mill. If he's smart, he'll wait it out, bide his time, go about his business, keep kicking ***, and THEN pick up the huge payday.

Reversing the view on this a bit, look at the shelf life of an NFL running back, that window isn't very big and back over 30 are somewhat frowned upon. So placing yourself in Grant's shoes, I can see the fuss about making the minimum after the numbers he piled up the second half of last season, especially when other backs didn't fair so well behind the same line.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think holding out or bucking the system would be a bad play on his part, especially with all the cards stacked against him. The union caved to the exclusive free agent tag in the first couple of years for larger paydays for the premier rookies and veteran free agents. He has little to no leverage other than to speak in the media or holdout, but holding out isn't going to do him any good other than to attach a label to him.

In the end, he will play for the minimum but I think he is putting the Packers on notice moreso that they better address this issue within the next season or so. If he continues to bark about his contract, especially if he performs well again this season, it will shade the Packers as ones not taking care of those that perform. PR.. is his only leverage for the next 3 seasons.. 2 under the exclusive tag and one under a RFA tag.. that is if the CBA is binding at that point or the language for FA isn't altered.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reversing the view on this a bit, look at the shelf life of an NFL running back, that window isn't very big and back over 30 are somewhat frowned upon. So placing yourself in Grant's shoes, I can see the fuss about making the minimum after the numbers he piled up the second half of last season, especially when other backs didn't fair so well behind the same line.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think holding out or bucking the system would be a bad play on his part, especially with all the cards stacked against him. The union caved to the exclusive free agent tag in the first couple of years for larger paydays for the premier rookies and veteran free agents. He has little to no leverage other than to speak in the media or holdout, but holding out isn't going to do him any good other than to attach a label to him.

In the end, he will play for the minimum but I think he is putting the Packers on notice moreso that they better address this issue within the next season or so. If he continues to bark about his contract, especially if he performs well again this season, it will shade the Packers as ones not taking care of those that perform. PR.. is his only leverage for the next 3 seasons.. 2 under the exclusive tag and one under a RFA tag.. that is if the CBA is binding at that point or the language for FA isn't altered.

The thing is, he realistically is in his 2nd season. If he's patient, he'll be rewarded.

Look at the other Packers. The ones who busted *** got rewarded heavily. That's how TT is. He will be paid very well at the end of this season if he's in the same ballpark as he was last year (let's just say for argument's sake 1200+ yards and 10+ TDs, which is slightly lowballing it).

I see where you're coming from. RBs last 4 to 5 years in the NFL.

However - He's just starting year 2. After year 2, he'll be a multi-millionaire.

Pack93z

Reaction score
The thing is, he realistically is in his 2nd season. If he's patient, he'll be rewarded.

Look at the other Packers. The ones who busted *** got rewarded heavily. That's how TT is. He will be paid very well at the end of this season if he's in the same ballpark as he was last year (let's just say for argument's sake 1200+ yards and 10+ TDs, which is slightly lowballing it).

I see where you're coming from. RBs last 4 to 5 years in the NFL.

However - He's just starting year 2. After year 2, he'll be a multi-millionaire.

I agree, I just hope that people understand that he is taking the only course of action that he rightly has, which is publicly speaking about his contract.

I think back to the media and fans reaction to Walker, different circumstances, and throwing him into a negative light about voicing the displeasure about his contract. Pretty soon it escalated, mostly on Walkers part foolishly, and it turned into parting of the ways, ugly at that.

Grant seems like a good kid, humble and pleasant, so I hope through this contract issue we look at him the same way when it has been resolved.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed, Zombie. The age of 30 is most often used, but i think it has more to do with years in the league. Grant is a little older, but still will only be beginning his sophomore season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I just hope that people understand that he is taking the only course of action that he rightly has, which is publicly speaking about his contract.

What has Grant said publicly about his contract? All I've heard about was his agent saying that Grant would like a longer-term contract and hinting that he might not report to training camp without one. I'm not sure if this is anything serious or just another agent trying to get a little leverage for his client.

Unless there's something I've missed, I'm going to withhold judgment on Grant and see how this thing plays out over the course of the next several months. I would like to see him get a fairly large extended contract before this season. RB's are at their best when they are young, with few exceptions, so now would be the time to lock him up with a respectable deal rather than low-balling him.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem giving him a new contract, but I disagree on the large part. Give Grant a choice - a three year contract for the average NFL back, or play another year at the current deal, get 1500 yards, and then offer the big contract.

It seems to me rushing into this after an agent squawks a little bit is the type of move our former GM would've made.

I would be much more inclined to lock up Jennings before I made a move on Grant.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Greg C. said:

What has Grant said publicly about his contract? All I've heard about was his agent saying that Grant would like a longer-term contract and hinting that he might not report to training camp without one. I'm not sure if this is anything serious or just another agent trying to get a little leverage for his client.

Unless there's something I've missed, I'm going to withhold judgment on Grant and see how this thing plays out over the course of the next several months. I would like to see him get a fairly large extended contract before this season. RB's are at their best when they are young, with few exceptions, so now would be the time to lock him up with a respectable deal rather than low-balling him.

Greg, I agree we haven't heard it straight from Grants mouth, just his agent as the mouth piece. That is all I am hoping for, the people take a wait and see attitude with Grant, let this thing play out so to speak.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dejavu

Thought we had a thread on this already?

Hey, it's the off-season. We've got nothing better to do. Look at it this way: It's better than another thread about Brett Favre maybe having second thoughts about retirement.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NOW! That is a post.

This is why I log on here... To find a GEM like this.

R.P.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
dejavu

Thought we had a thread on this already?

Hey, it's the off-season. We've got nothing better to do. Look at it this way: It's better than another thread about Brett Favre maybe having second thoughts about retirement.

Oops! I spoke too soon. See the thread called "MORE BRETT FAVRE NEWS."

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem giving him a new contract, but I disagree on the large part. Give Grant a choice - a three year contract for the average NFL back, or play another year at the current deal, get 1500 yards, and then offer the big contract.

If Grant keeps producing like last year, he will get a large contract.

He will not get a large contract now.

So if the Packers cave now, and he performs well again, why wouldn't he just fight for another new contract? After all he'll still be underpaid.

I say we wait and see how he does this year. I have a lot of faith in Grant, but we can't be completely sure he's the answer, and there have been plenty of one-year wonders.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the status of signing Grant again? i havent been able to find anything about it. how much is he getting?

Packers | Grant unlikely to hold out
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:15:51 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers RB Ryan Grant said he does not see a scenario in which he would hold out of the team's training camp.

Grant has yet to sign his $370,000 exclusive rights free agent qualifying offer.

He stated that he is not worried about the situation and is confident that a deal will get done.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jessefly said:

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers RB Ryan Grant said he does not see a scenario in which he would hold out of the team's training camp.

Grant has yet to sign his $370,000 exclusive rights free agent qualifying offer.

He stated that he is not worried about the situation and is confident that a deal will get done.

It's kinda like he's seen how GB handles things, and how it treats its players in these situations.

I wonder if guys like Driver or Kampman gave him some advice on the situation.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
jessefly said:

It's kinda like he's seen how GB handles things, and how it treats its players in these situations.

Maybe so.......if he does his job, he'll get the money. Just like DD and Kamp did.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I bet they did.

"Ryan, relax. Play your *** off next year and you'll get a fat reward. That's the way the ball rolls in Green Bay. Look at us."

Members online

Latest posts