Running Back

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
I honestly can't remember the last time we had an amazing play making running back!
who do you think the best Packers running back has been in the past 10 years?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in the past 10 years that is easy...Ahman Green hands down. Count how many times he took one to the hous
And I'm not talking 20 yards. Off hand I recall long long runs against Miami, Denver, Dallas, Detroit. He also torched the Vikings several times in their place. Back in 2000 we had a 33-28 lead with 3 minutes to go and all Favre did was give him the ball and he ran out the clock against the Purple.

OP
OP
thepackers1fan4

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Well, in the past 10 years that is easy...Ahman Green hands down. Count how many times he took one to the hous
And I'm not talking 20 yards. Off hand I recall long long runs against Miami, Denver, Dallas, Detroit. He also torched the Vikings several times in their place. Back in 2000 we had a 33-28 lead with 3 minutes to go and all Favre did was give him the ball and he ran out the clock against the Purple.

I wish I remembered all that stuff I'm only 16 so when he was playing I was young and I don't remember him playing.

H

HardRightEdge

I can't remember the exact figure, but I think it was 36...the consecutive times Ahman Green converted 3rd.-and-1, 4th.-and-1, or goal to go from the one. That's a singular achievement. He was a stud.

Flashy breakaway runs are overrated, though he had his fair share of those. You need a guy who can get the tough yards when you need them.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
LOL, unless you're not a Packer fan it was obvious. But it brings up the memories of Levens and Bennett. There have been enough HB who've given the Packers faithful good memories.
I thought a couple of them were drafted as FBs.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The incredible thing about Green was that he was SO good, that teams stopped focusing on stopping Favre and focused on Green. For years they talked about making Favre beat you because Green and the Packers' o-line were the real threat. Now part of that is a commentary on how Sherman allowed Favre's game to regress, but in no way diminishes Green's accomplishments.

To the OP's question, it's a bit loaded since we've only had one decent running back in that 10 year window so there really is no other answer. I would agree with ivo610 that Rodgers has been our most effective runner since Green, although the question should really encompass a couple of decades or maybe back to Hornung and Taylor. Levens was a really good running back in Holmgren's west coast offense. I also have a fondness for the way that Edgar Bennett ran the ball but Ahman "Batman" Green still was the best post-60s back. Is there any love for the Wood brothers combo of the late 80s in Brent Fullwood and Keith Woodside?

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The short of it-

Ahman Green is the all time leading rusher and gainer from scrimmage in Packer history. When Favre hurt his hand in 2003 and someone else needed to step up, Green did just that, compiling one of the best yards from scrimmage season in the last decade (8th best out 469 season performances >= 1,000 yards). Incidentally, I don't use yards from scrimmage as some sort of abstruse stat, given the Packers ****-dunk WCO system, the pass and the rush blended together in a non-traditional way so that stratifying between rush yards and receiving yards doesn't make sense for running backs.

The long of it (the tl/dr set is advised to stop here)-

http://pfref.com/pi/share/1lJD4

The table is for the Packers' Approximate Value (AV) as calculated by pro-football-reference from '01-'04 which I regard as the second window of opportunity for the Pack of the Favre Era. Green is #1. And for those who may be interested, the Packers' composite AV for the entire roster(s) from '01-'04 was the THIRD highest in the NFL, #1 being the Eagles and #2 being the Patriots. And neither of those two teams were packed with high individual AV guys, just a solid overall core roster and they made 7 conference championship games (CCG's) between them and four Super Bowl appearances. And the Pack could barely get out of a Wild Card round with a not too dissimilar construction) . Beating a drum, but I think Favre's 52.1 composite QB rating in those 4 washout games, and responsible for 14 of the 18 turnovers, is about as far as anyone needs to look (especially since the Packers had the 4th best regular season record and 3rd best against playoff caliber teams). His 70.1 QB rating in 2007, and 70.0 in 2009 (with the Vikings) in the next two playoff washout games doesn't help the narrative any.

So those who continue to pound the fantastical narrative that the Packer successes were singly and only Favre need give it a rest. Somehow with high AV rosters that depended on overall core quality and not a lot of superstars, New England and Philadelphia had a relatively high level of success, but the Packers washed out. And Favre was front and center on that front. But his lofty status had to be maintained so the rest of the team was run down (and guys like Ahman Green got swallowed up by The Shadow). I don't give much of rip about starting another Favre debate, but there needs to be a revisiting of the past and a proper appreciation given to the Greens and Sharpers and GM'ing for a start. I'd say HC'ing but Sherman was a mediocre head coach, though continuing with Holmgren's WCO system still paid dividends. Favre was indeed a star and the giving of credit to the rest of the team doesn't need to run him down, just that that artificially high pedestal for Favre had to be maintained, when washouts came, by running the rest of the team down unfairly. With the internet and some analysis, we can pretty easily correct the proper amount of credit (or discredit) that should have been allocated all around.

Favre didn't turn the team around single handedly (which can be shown pretty easily), he didn't win the Super Bowl single handedly (which too can be shown), and he wasn't the only worthy factor in that second window of opportunity ('01-'04). But he did give the ball away beyond tolerance in the playoffs nearly single handedly. And all that was, on net - upside and downside, an embraceable and creditable reality. But the results for putting Favre on a pedestal three notches higher than was necessary speak for themselves.

Suffice it to say Green and Sharper and KGB and Driver and Clifton were pretty good guys, and while Wolf stepped down a notch, he navigated the Packers to fairly consistently potent rosters even as plenty of changeover occurred as the free agents assembled in the mid-90's ran out of gas. The Packers weren't as great as '96 again, but they hung in there near the top of the NFL. Favre was a part of that, but the rest should be warmly regarded as well. The rest shouldn't constantly pay the penalty for a 52.1 composite QB rating in washout games.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are fans of 31 teams dreaming about MJD. A couple of teams will actually think about it and make a run at him. TT will never be one of those guys. You'd be grabbing MJD in favor of resigning Jennings and Rodgers contracts next year. Uh uh no no never

H

HardRightEdge

The short of it-

Ahman Green is the all time leading rusher and gainer from scrimmage in Packer history. When Favre hurt his hand in 2003 and someone else needed to step up, Green did just that, compiling one of the best yards from scrimmage season in the last decade (8th best out 469 season performances >= 1,000 yards). Incidentally, I don't use yards from scrimmage as some sort of abstruse stat, given the Packers ****-dunk WCO system, the pass and the rush blended together in a non-traditional way so that stratifying between rush yards and receiving yards doesn't make sense for running backs.

The long of it (the tl/dr set is advised to stop here)-

http://pfref.com/pi/share/1lJD4

The table is for the Packers' Approximate Value (AV) as calculated by pro-football-reference from '01-'04 which I regard as the second window of opportunity for the Pack of the Favre Era. Green is #1. And for those who may be interested, the Packers' composite AV for the entire roster(s) from '01-'04 was the THIRD highest in the NFL, #1 being the Eagles and #2 being the Patriots. And neither of those two teams were packed with high individual AV guys, just a solid overall core roster and they made 7 conference championship games (CCG's) between them and four Super Bowl appearances. And the Pack could barely get out of a Wild Card round with a not too dissimilar construction) . Beating a drum, but I think Favre's 52.1 composite QB rating in those 4 washout games, and responsible for 14 of the 18 turnovers, is about as far as anyone needs to look (especially since the Packers had the 4th best regular season record and 3rd best against playoff caliber teams). His 70.1 QB rating in 2007, and 70.0 in 2009 (with the Vikings) in the next two playoff washout games doesn't help the narrative any.

So those who continue to pound the fantastical narrative that the Packer successes were singly and only Favre need give it a rest. Somehow with high AV rosters that depended on overall core quality and not a lot of superstars, New England and Philadelphia had a relatively high level of success, but the Packers washed out. And Favre was front and center on that front. But his lofty status had to be maintained so the rest of the team was run down (and guys like Ahman Green got swallowed up by The Shadow). I don't give much of rip about starting another Favre debate, but there needs to be a revisiting of the past and a proper appreciation given to the Greens and Sharpers and GM'ing for a start. I'd say HC'ing but Sherman was a mediocre head coach, though continuing with Holmgren's WCO system still paid dividends. Favre was indeed a star and the giving of credit to the rest of the team doesn't need to run him down, just that that artificially high pedestal for Favre had to be maintained, when washouts came, by running the rest of the team down unfairly. With the internet and some analysis, we can pretty easily correct the proper amount of credit (or discredit) that should have been allocated all around.

Favre didn't turn the team around single handedly (which can be shown pretty easily), he didn't win the Super Bowl single handedly (which too can be shown), and he wasn't the only worthy factor in that second window of opportunity ('01-'04). But he did give the ball away beyond tolerance in the playoffs nearly single handedly. And all that was, on net - upside and downside, an embraceable and creditable reality. But the results for putting Favre on a pedestal three notches higher than was necessary speak for themselves.

Suffice it to say Green and Sharper and KGB and Driver and Clifton were pretty good guys, and while Wolf stepped down a notch, he navigated the Packers to fairly consistently potent rosters even as plenty of changeover occurred as the free agents assembled in the mid-90's ran out of gas. The Packers weren't as great as '96 again, but they hung in there near the top of the NFL. Favre was a part of that, but the rest should be warmly regarded as well. The rest shouldn't constantly pay the penalty for a 52.1 composite QB rating in washout games.

That was a pretty darn good offensive line....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cedric Benson can get tough yards and stay helathy then i think he could easily go for over 1,000 yds because GB is one of the few teams that uses the pass to open up the run game. Imagine if teams actually had to respect the threat of the run when they played the Packers with our explosive passing game? look out.

Members online

Latest posts