Round 6 Pick #212 - G Kofi Amichia

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
South Florida G

6' 4" 302#

"A two-year starter and AAC first team selection in 2016, Amichia is a developmental offensive lineman prospect who will need time before NFL action is considered."

Amichia had an official pre-draft visit with the Packers.

Anyone have any more info? Looks like a PS candidate.

I would have preferred Austin Rehkow, P, Idaho with this pick. But the OL needs depth.

Last edited:

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems like he moves very well for a guy his size. Say whatever you want about our front office, but one thing they excel at is finding offensive lineman late in the draft.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems like he moves very well for a guy his size. Say whatever you want about our front office, but one thing they excel at is finding offensive lineman late in the draft.

Listed as a tackle, 297 lbs. Figure they beef him up and move him to guard.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like Amichia can play anywhere on the line, including C. This is a Packer kind of O-lineman.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers are pretty predictable on the OL because they value times in the short shuttle and the 3 cone. Amichia had neither one listed. So my guess is that they got times for him at the pro day, and that they're good times. I say that because Corey Levin was still on the board and he totally fit their type.

But measurables aside, small school left tackle with guard size who the Packers will move inside? It's basically their signature move.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are pretty predictable on the OL because they value times in the short shuttle and the 3 cone. Amichia had neither one listed. So my guess is that they got times for him at the pro day, and that they're good times. I say that because Corey Levin was still on the board and he totally fit their type.

But measurables aside, small school left tackle with guard size who the Packers will move inside? It's basically their signature move.

He's also strong like bull, 32 reps of 225, that'll help get it done inside.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He's also strong like bull, 32 reps of 225, that'll help get it done inside.

I wouldn't know. I generally don't put any stock in the bench press at all. But if you've watched him and have seen the power, I think that sounds great.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
South Florida G

6' 4" 302#

"A two-year starter and AAC first team selection in 2016, Amichia is a developmental offensive lineman prospect who will need time before NFL action is considered."

Amichia had an official pre-draft visit with the Packers.

Anyone have any more info? Looks like a PS candidate.

I would have preferred Austin Rehkow, P, Idaho with this pick. But the OL needs depth.

I would've looked at Pocic or Elflein first, but not before round 4, and they both went on Day 2. I think by the time this guy got drafted Ted had to find a body because other teams over reached. Not angry with this pick, just disappointed that to get the guys I wanted we would've had to hit the panic button.

H

HardRightEdge

This is clearly a C/G project, with the emphasis on project. He's got some foot quickness, but not up to NFL OT standards. The quickness and Pro Day numbers are up to NFL interior standards.

He doesn't extend his arms and use his hands well in pass blocking. I'd like to know his arm length and hand size but I have not found that in a cursory search. He often shows poor balance when on the move. 32 lifts suggests he's strong in the upper body.

His liabilities are less so inside. Maybe more C than OG, but the mental aspects of that position take time to develop. The quotes suggest he's a smart kid.

He was quoted as saying he got up to 308 lbs. in his pre-draft training program with better diet. That suggests more room to grow. He certainly has the build of an NFL player.

The best things I saw on tape were seal blocks in the run game.

Yeah, practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't know. I generally don't put any stock in the bench press at all. But if you've watched him and have seen the power, I think that sounds great.

I usually dont put too much stock into this since some OL factories, like Wisco, just don't put much stock into this workout. But I do see it as a positive when a player is strong on the bench press.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I usually dont put too much stock into this since some OL factories, like Wisco, just don't put much stock into this workout. But I do see it as a positive when a player is strong on the bench press.

Well it certainly isn't bad thing.

H

HardRightEdge

Bench press is far less important at certain positions than others, LT being one of them, where you're paying for pass protection. You look first at the footwork, quickness, handwork, balance, arm length, hand size. There are still minimum thresholds. When you get in the low 20's with LTs for example, you need to look at how that might have been a problem in the tape. If everything else is there, it's a "so what" unless you're one of the few teams who want to "ground and pound".

One specific problem with the bench press relates to the player's arm length. The longer the player's arms, the more difficult it is to put up a good number. If you see an OT with wowza 35" arms, you're going to put a discount on the lift number.

When you start looking at interior OL, interior DL, between the tackle RBs, 2 down LBs, or a guy you project as a thumper SS, you want to see a good number. These guys spend a lot of time battling in close quarters or engaging opponents at the pads.

The lift can be misleading though in an additional respect. Different players are constructed differently. A guy may not have premium upper body strength but compensates with drive from a strong base. Adams, for example, put a up a poor 22 lifts, but he doesn't show that lower body drive either. He was taken this high for his athleticism, not unlike the Clark pick. That's why you might have seen a scouting report projecting him into a gap attack defense. So you have to consider scheme fit and how the player will be used.

Gap attack has not been Capers stock in trade. Maybe he changes it up some this season. Clark and Adams suggest that might be the case. Or maybe Adams will be limited to gap rushing on obvious nickel/dime pass downs. One thing you can be sure of: this player is no nose tackle, and the bench lifts help to tell you that.

The biggest problem with bench press is not the bench press itself; it's that they don't include other strength drills to assess the player's base strength as well. Squats and leg lifts for example. Perhaps some teams include those tests in private workouts. I couldn't say.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is definitely a run blocker through and through. His pass blocking is a little sketchy.. but I don't see him playing this year at all. Thus leaving him time to be coached up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
PFF had Amichia down for a mere 9 pressures allowed on 403 pass pro snaps.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Practice squad trainee. Many things have to go wrong for him to be on the field this season. Or he is the most polished diamond in the rough Ted has ever uncovered.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So 9 pressures and rated out as the 5th best run blocking guard? Not bad

All his ratings in college were at left tackle as that is where he played, but yeah it sounds like he was a pretty productive player.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is clearly a C/G project, with the emphasis on project. He's got some foot quickness, but not up to NFL OT standards. The quickness and Pro Day numbers are up to NFL interior standards.

He doesn't extend his arms and use his hands well in pass blocking. I'd like to know his arm length and hand size but I have not found that in a cursory search. He often shows poor balance when on the move. 32 lifts suggests he's strong in the upper body.

His liabilities are less so inside. Maybe more C than OG, but the mental aspects of that position take time to develop. The quotes suggest he's a smart kid.

He was quoted as saying he got up to 308 lbs. in his pre-draft training program with better diet. That suggests more room to grow. He certainly has the build of an NFL player.

The best things I saw on tape were seal blocks in the run game.

Yeah, practice squad.

Hopefully he makes the team. drafting a guy with the intention of putting him on the practice squad doesn't seem like a plan for success.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of guys drafted that hit the practice squad and are given time to develop and then step in pretty well given some time to learn. It's made specifically for guys that need time to develop their game in the NFL, like Kofi. Just last year a practice squad guard stepped in for a pro bowler and we kept right on chugging. In the past guys like Bill Schroeder spent a couple seasons on PSquads learning the NFL game before having a fairly decent career. He's a late 6th round pick. It's not like he was taken in the 2nd. Most of those guys don't even make a team, so the PS would be a step up. Learn the game for a while then compete for a job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts