Roughing The Passer?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Am watching the taped Bears game from yesterday. Cutler gets tackled as he throws an incomplete pass-- it is a clean hit that started when Cutler had the ball and had absolutely nothing flagrant about it. The defender simply tackled him. Yet a flag is shown for roughing the passer. Bears go on to score a TD on a subsequent play.

Also, on Sunday during the Packer-Panthers game, Bishop draws a flag for his hit on Newton while later Rodgers gets even with a hit on him. On both hits, I could not believe flags were drawn.

I am sure, if I watch more games, I will see more of the same. Watch the QBs-- they are starting to complain with every hit, hoping to draw that personal foul.

I understand that the NFL is trying to preserve QBs and keep offenses running. But... I for one am getting frustrated with the leagues treating them like china dolls. Is the next step to simply red shirt them? Two-hand touch?

It's gone too far, imo.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There was another one on Rivers too I believe. I know it's ridiculous and the NFL better be doing something about this. This effects outcomes of games and seasons for ****s sakes.

Seems like no one is trying to do anything about it either.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough because I think the NFL expects players to just be able to stop when they are running full speed in the heat of the moment. There should probably be like a 3 second window where you can still hit the QB since its hard to stop.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really horrible. I thought both calls in the Pack game were terrible. And just look at Vick. He barely fell down and knocked helmets with a teammate. "Teammates on the field #7, 15 yard penalty.. Automatic first down." lol

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It's called OVER PROTECTING THE QUARTERBACK.

It started with the tuck rule, and now look at it.

I agree, the other day was awful. Anytime Cutler got nailed and whined for a flag he got it, and most of that was just a defense that is known for knocking the **** out of the quarterback.

Roger Goodell is an idiot.

He would probably flip out if he watched out tape of the 1990 Bills or better yet, the 1970's Cowboys "Doomsday Defense", and the 70's Steelers used to murder the quarterback.The funny thing is, if you go on youtube and look up those old games, there isn't a ton of flags in them. There is probably a maximum of 3 flags in one game.

Now a days, think if the old Bills were playing. There would be a flag every down cause the way Bruce Smith would knock down quarterbacks.

I felt the same way about the Vikings in 2009 with Favre. While all the Minnesota fans complained how rigged the NFC Championship was, what they forgot was the penalties. There were tons of flags every time they rattled Favre. Actually the Vikings had 98 yards given to them from the penalties, and most of those ******** flags kept their drives alive.

If anyone wants to research over protecting the quarterback, I recommend looking at the 1990 NFC Championship game.

The Giants put Montana out the game. That whole game had tons of plays that would have had flags everywhere.

But before they put Montana out, the fumbled the ball on what would have been called an "incomplete pass" according to today's tuck rule. That fumble led to points. So yeah, if we had the same rules back then, you would have seen a Buffalo/San Francisco Super Bowl.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more PFanCan. May as well have the QBs wearing pink skirts. You know it's bad when Packers fans disagree with a flag thrown after Rodgers gets hit. It looks like they're asking defenders to defy the laws of physics. I certainly understand the NFL's desire to protect QBs but c'mon, it's still tackle football!

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I know, it is really getting bad. I noticed they missed a clear helmet to helmet when Jenkins sacked Ryan. This is being driven by the owners. QB's are their most valuable commodity. People like scoring. It's what drives the "New Age" Fan. They guy who plays madden and loves fantasy football. I have yet to get into a fantasy football league. At the rate we are going football is going to evolve into a hybrid arena football league. I hate it.

Get rid of Domes, bring back Mud and rain and snow. The glory days of the NFL are behind it. What we have now is New Coke.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of any call that requires a ref to enter a grey area and make a split second decision on game changing plays. Pass interference and roughing the passer are the two specific calls that I think are often questionable calls, now add in this defenseless player stuff and you have huge penalties that we are seeing more and more effect the outcome of a game. If you are going to expect the officiating crew to make the right calls you have to give them a way to fix their mistakes. I know we really dont need to add more reviews to the game but on more than a few occasions I have thought, " Man I wish we could have reviewed that penalty."

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The new over protection of the quarterback is changing the game.

And then they wonder why every quarterback is throwing 300 yards a game, when back in the day, that only happened when it was a wide open close game, or an offense running a heavy pass offense.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It's called OVER PROTECTING THE QUARTERBACK.

I felt the same way about the Vikings in 2009 with Favre. While all the Minnesota fans complained how rigged the NFC Championship was, what they forgot was the penalties. There were tons of flags every time they rattled Favre. Actually the Vikings had 98 yards given to them from the penalties, and most of those ******** flags kept their drives alive.

Gotta love Packer fan revisionist history. So let’s take a look at the Saint Vikings game penalties. The Saints were called for roughing the passer exactly twice. Once on first down, once on third down. So I have no idea how you get the fact that they tossed flags every time Favre was hit. Saints penalties in Bold.

First penalty of the game. 2-2-MIN 43 (7:01) PENALTY on MIN-P.Williams, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 43 - No Play. X3
Give the Saints a first down on the Vikings 38. Two plays later Brees throws a TD.

Next 3 penalties are on the same drive.
(6:15) (Shotgun) PENALTY on NO-B.McCray, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 27 - No Play.

PENALTY on NO-R.Gay, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 32 - No Play. X6
1-10-MIN 37 (6:11) B.Favre pass short left to B.Berrian pushed ob at NO 48 for 15 yards (S.Shanle). Pass -1, YAC 16 P7
1-10-NO 48 (5:44) P.Harvin left end ran ob at NO 46 for 2 yards (S.Shanle).
PENALTY on NO-B.McCray, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at NO 46. #93 McCray hit #4 Favre after he handed off.

6 plays latter Favre throws a TD.

The next 3. 2-10-NO 18 (6:09) PENALTY on MIN-K.Williams, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at NO 18 - No Play.

4-1-NO 42 (2:07) (Run formation) PENALTY on NO-D.Brees, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NO 42 - No Play.

4-6-NO 37 (2:00) T.Morstead punts 46 yards to MIN 17, Center-J.Kyle. D.Reynaud MUFFS catch, and recovers at MIN 17.
PENALTY on NO-J.Casillas, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at MIN 17.
Vikings started on the 32 rather than the 17.

4-4-NO 41 (6:40) (Punt formation) PENALTY on NO-J.Kyle, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NO 41 - No Play.

3-4-MIN 38 (4:14) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass incomplete short left to C.Taylor [T.Hargrove].
PENALTY on NO-T.Hargrove, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at MIN 38 - No Play.
That’s the play they twisted Favre’s ankle.

3-3-NO 38 :)39) (Shotgun) PENALTY on NO-J.Goodwin, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NO 38 - No Play..

Now this one really did keep a drive alive.

1-10-NO 19 (5:52) B.Favre pass incomplete deep left to B.Berrian.
PENALTY on NO-T.Porter, Defensive Pass Interference, 18 yards, enforced at NO 19 - No Play.

And the opps.

3-10-NO 33 :)19) PENALTY on MIN, Offensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced at NO 33 - No Play.

And in overtime:

3-6-NO 43 (13:33) D.Brees pass incomplete short right to M.Colston.

PENALTY on MIN-A.Allen, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at NO 43 - No Play. X13

1-10-NO 48 (13:26) D.Brees pass incomplete short right to D.Thomas [R.Edwards].

1-10-MIN 41 (11:52) D.Brees pass incomplete short left to D.Thomas.

PENALTY on MIN-B.Leber, Defensive Pass Interference, 12 yards, enforced at MIN 41 - No Play.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts