Rookies so far

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not been able to watch the games as closely as I would like but I was wondering on people's thoughts of the rookies so far. Obviously guys like Spriggs are impossible to evaluate, but what people thought of Clark, Lowry, etc.

Martinez seems to the bright spot. He won the job and even probably got Barrington cut in the process. He has not disappointed. He is likely one of the top ILB from the draft so far - not bad for a late pick. Clark has seemed to hold his own but I dont know how he has graded out. Frackrell has had a few moments where he has looked good but still seems lean for an OLB. Lowry has had to play more than I expected. Davis has earned ST playing time but seems like his biggest play was the drop last week.

Some of you watch much more closely than me so I was wondering how people think the rookies have looked

D

Deleted member 6794

I have not been able to watch the games as closely as I would like but I was wondering on people's thoughts of the rookies so far. Obviously guys like Spriggs are impossible to evaluate, but what people thought of Clark, Lowry, etc.

Martinez seems to the bright spot. He won the job and even probably got Barrington cut in the process. He has not disappointed. He is likely one of the top ILB from the draft so far - not bad for a late pick. Clark has seemed to hold his own but I dont know how he has graded out. Frackrell has had a few moments where he has looked good but still seems lean for an OLB. Lowry has had to play more than I expected. Davis has earned ST playing time but seems like his biggest play was the drop last week.

Some of you watch much more closely than me so I was wondering how people think the rookies have looked

Martinez for sure has had the most impact so far and in my opinion has been surprisingly good defending the run. Clark has gotten a ton of snaps after Guion was injured against Minnesota but has performed on an average level at best. I think it´s way too early to evaluate any of the other rookies as none of them has received significant playing time.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez for sure has had the most impact so far and in my opinion has been surprisingly good defending the run. Clark has gotten a ton of snaps after Guion was injured against Minnesota but has performed on an average level at best. I think it´s way too early to evaluate any of the other rookies as none of them has received significant playing time.

It is probably too early to evaluate any rookie but on a bye week boredom sets in. The one thing I have noticed with Clark is there doesn't seem to be a huge drop off once he became starter. He is incredibly young and didn't get much preseason work so I am happy to see him holding his own right now. On a side note it is crazy to me how well the dline has played with who they have been running out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is probably too early to evaluate any rookie but on a bye week boredom sets in. The one thing I have noticed with Clark is there doesn't seem to be a huge drop off once he became starter. He is incredibly young and didn't get much preseason work so I am happy to see him holding his own right now. On a side note it is crazy to me how well the dline has played with who they have been running out there.

The Packers run defense has been spectacular and hasn´t regressed with Clark playing a ton of snaps.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm very pleased with the rookies contributions so far. The second year guys are growing as well. Some have been put in tough situations.

OP
OP
B

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers run defense has been spectacular and hasn´t regressed with Clark playing a ton of snaps.

Isn't that crazy considering we are currently playing Daniels along with Clark, Lowry, Ringo, and Bruce? And a rookie and second year inside linebacker are starting. Not to mention last week Fackrell was 3rd on olb snaps. Outside of peppers no one playing in the front 7 last week was more than 5 years in the league. You had Perry, Daniels, Peppers and a bunch of rookies or second year guys

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed on one play when the QB had to roll to the side that Clark is excruciatingly slow. I don't know if that is a problem or not. Is he quick? He looks heavy which I guess can be a good thing if he is going to be a nose tackle.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm very pleased with the rookies contributions so far. The second year guys are growing as well. Some have been put in tough situations.

Isn't that crazy considering we are currently playing Daniels along with Clark, Lowry, Ringo, and Bruce? And a rookie and second year inside linebacker are starting. Not to mention last week Fackrell was 3rd on olb snaps. Outside of peppers no one playing in the front 7 last week was more than 5 years in the league. You had Perry, Daniels, Peppers and a bunch of rookies or second year guys

It's pretty amazing that the defense is excellent defending the run, especially after being a huge question mark entering this season. Unfortunately the pass defense has struggled mightily.

I noticed on one play when the QB had to roll to the side that Clark is excruciatingly slow. I don't know if that is a problem or not. Is he quick? He looks heavy which I guess can be a good thing if he is going to be a nose tackle.

Clark for sure lacks lateral quickness which isn't that big of a problem while playing nose tackle but might end up being one once he lines up at 5-tech.

Reaction score
It's pretty amazing that the defense is excellent defending the run, especially after being a huge question mark entering this season. Unfortunately the pass defense has struggled mightily.

Clark for sure lacks lateral quickness which isn't that big of a problem while playing nose tackle but might end up being one once he lines up at 5-tech.
He's not much heavier than Daniels so I think he could use some burst speed work. I do like he's getting valuable live experience he wouldn't have seen so much with Pennel and Guion in the rotation
I can't remember who eluded to this thought (maybe MM?) but these young guys getting this kind of exposure while we don't sacrifice a loss is compelling.
The loss of Pennel and Guion so far has clearly not diminished our success on the D front like we all considered.
The depth with the Rotation ability and the return of 2 Tonka starters should give a nice goal line/4th down short yardage package.
I'm still concerned about Pennel's lack of discipline. This was carried over from ASU and its time to grow up.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's not much heavier than Daniels so I think he could use some burst speed work.

Actually Clark is leaner than Daniels as he's only four pounds heavier but three inches taller. There's no doubt he could some additional burst.

Members online

Latest posts