Rookie Watch

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where would you put Hawk and Harrell? Sure that Perry doesn't go in the 'too soon' pile?
There were definitely some questionable classifications-

Raji had one good year, and he's been alright otherwise. And he was a top 10 pick.

Mayo was one of the best LBs in the league while healthy, but was listed as 'bad' because of injuries. Matthews has the same issues, and no more good productive seasons than Mayo, but is 'good'.

Bulaga is solid, but nothing to write home about as a 1st rounder (though the same with Solder). Same with Haha.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a TT fan at all, but I would say he is on par or above with most other teams:
The Good:
Aaron Rodgers
BJ Raji (though screwed us now)
Clay Matthews
Bryan Bulaga
Nick Perry
Haha Clinton Dix
The Bad:
Derek Sherrod
Datone Jones
Too Early to Know:
Demarious Randall and Kenny Clark

Patriots under BB as their true GM:
The Good:
Devon McCourty
Nate Solder
Chandler Jones
Dont'a Hightower
The Bad:
Dominique Easley
Malcom Brown
Brandon Meriweather
Laurence Mahoney
Ben Watson
Jerod Mayo (injury prone)
I'm not going to pick this list apart, but it only addresses the draft. Which is really the only place Thompson seems to want to get players... oh that and undrafted free agents. We are now seeing what can happen to a team with that single minded approach to building a team.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true that Thompson hasn't been great drafting in the first round, ranking 12th in the legue in average career approximate value of players drafted in the first round since 2005.
I'm sure Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews dragged Ted's stats up out of the bottem half of the league in regard to whatever that is.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I'm not going to pick this list apart, but it only addresses the draft. Which is really the only place Thompson seems to want to get players... oh that and undrafted free agents. We are now seeing what can happen to a team with that single minded approach to building a team.
That post was in response to his first round picks

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way things are going, the Packer will be picking a lot higher in each round than they have since 2009, when they picked BJ Raji at #9. S0 that should help in getting the salivary glands going, especially in Round 1. For the past 7 drafts I have always felt like "ok, who will fall to us in Round 1 and why didn't anyone else want him....wait....who is Derrick Sherrod......Demarious Randall?"

Packers currently have the 9th pick in the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure how you can list Nick Perry as good yet, considering we've had 1 productive year from him in 5.

But you're right, NE hasn't exactly knocked it out of the park in the 1st, nor has GB whiffed that much. What yet have done is used a little thing called free agency, both for depth and for difference makers.

According to Pro Football Reference's average career approximate value out of first round picks since 2005 the Patriots rank seventh in the league with the Packers being 12th. The Panthers lead the league over that period followed by the Ravens and Niners.

Members online

Latest posts