Rookie Watch

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought we need a thread to discuss the rookies and new starters to the team.

Let me start with Blake Martinez. Potentially a bright start in a dull season. How good can he become? As good as Clay Matthews?

Who else has excited you this season?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought we need a thread to discuss the rookies and new starters to the team.

Let me start with Blake Martinez. Potentially a bright start in a dull season. How good can he become? As good as Clay Matthews?

Who else has excited you this season?

The first bold answers the second, for me. We're down to discussing new guys who may turn out to be good while the team is undergoing an embarrassing season? Not excited at all at this point.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Martinez as well. Davis needs more experience but he could be good player down the road.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got no complaints about the rookie class. It would have been nice if the RB and TE positions were addressed (besides bringing in a guy on a 1 year deal), but you can't get everything.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark has shown some spark this season but not often. Spriggs will be a future hog for our line for sure. Fackrell who I wanted us to draft, will improve more with time and be a force on the edge. Martinez has shown all doubters he can tackle. The way Him and Ryan were playing the run the 1st couple games was beautiful. Davis hasn't shown much besides that TD catch on the side line, where is the deep speed we all heard about. Maybe he just needs to adjust to the NFL level still? Dean Lowry is one of those I cant help but cheer for. He isn't standing out, not sure how much he plays? But I do remember a few top notch plays from him this year! I believe a tipped pass on 3rd down and at least 1 TFL. We haven't seen much all of Tyler Murphy, but he played very well at Stanford and just needs to move into the weight room for 6 months.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no doubt Martinez has been the best out of this year's rookie class so far. In my opinion Clark has mostly been a disappointment. None of the other draft picks have played a lot but out of the group Fackrell has showed most promise.

Reaction score
I also agree that although DT is not a glory position, Kenny Clark's play has been pedestrian.
I'd like to see Fackrell get more playing time. He portrays an exciting player with a High performance ceiling similar to when Jerome Elliott started.
I agree, think Martinez has been the best value overall as Wimm declared above.
Jason Spriggs should be serviceable for years and has a lot to learn, but he has played admirably for a first year player in a limited role.
Davis has performed best as a return guy but is underwhelming as the deep threat WR we hoped for thus far
I think we could've done better and we could've done worse. I don't think the rookie class contribution is where it needs to be, but picking 26th didn't help either. but that's just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think the rookie class contribution is where it needs to be, but that's just my opinion.

Agreed, having only two rookies playing significant snaps doesn't cut it for a team heavily relying on draft and develop.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Martinez has been the best out of this year's rookie class so far. In my opinion Clark has mostly been a disappointment. None of the other draft picks have played a lot but out of the group Fackrell has showed most promise.
I don't think anyone is surprised by Clark's performance. I can see the upside, on paper, but one could only hope that he is far from the player that GB envisions him to be.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think anyone is surprised by Clark's performance. I can see the upside, on paper, but one could only hope that he is far from the player that GB envisions him to be.

Clark is still young and has the chance to develop into an impact player. I wasn't excited about the Packers picking him in the first round though.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark is still young and has the chance to develop into an impact player. I wasn't excited about the Packers picking him in the first round though.
I agree with you, I wasn't excited with the Clark pick but he is still very young. As I've mentioned before Clark has shown a spark of explosiveness but very few times.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Remember that time Ted Thompson passed on A'Shawn Robinson, Jarren Reed and Vernon Butler for Kenny Clark...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm so excited about the 2016 draft class that I'm looking forward more than usual to the 2017 draft class.

With the way things are going, the Packer will be picking a lot higher in each round than they have since 2009, when they picked BJ Raji at #9. S0 that should help in getting the salivary glands going, especially in Round 1. For the past 7 drafts I have always felt like "ok, who will fall to us in Round 1 and why didn't anyone else want him....wait....who is Derrick Sherrod......Demarious Randall?"

D

Deleted member 6794

Remember that time Ted Thompson passed on A'Shawn Robinson, Jarren Reed and Vernon Butler for Kenny Clark...

While Clark has mostly been a disappointment this season you have to understand that it's extremely tough for a rookie to perform on a high level on the defensive line.

According to Pro Football Focus Clark (51.6, 240 snaps) is the highest graded player out of the ones you mentioned with Robinson (47.5, 234), Butler (45.9, 107) and Reed (43.2, 284) struggling as well.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the way things are going, the Packer will be picking a lot higher in each round than they have since 2009, when they picked BJ Raji at #9. S0 that should help in getting the salivary glands going, especially in Round 1. For the past 7 drafts I have always felt like "ok, who will fall to us in Round 1 and why didn't anyone else want him....wait....who is Derrick Sherrod......Demarious Randall?"
Thompson has mostly whiffed in round 1.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true that Thompson hasn't been great drafting in the first round, ranking 12th in the legue in average career approximate value of players drafted in the first round since 2005.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am not a TT fan at all, but I would say he is on par or above with most other teams:
The Good:
Aaron Rodgers
BJ Raji (though screwed us now)
Clay Matthews
Bryan Bulaga
Nick Perry
Haha Clinton Dix
The Bad:
Derek Sherrod
Datone Jones
Too Early to Know:
Demarious Randall and Kenny Clark

Patriots under BB as their true GM:
The Good:
Devon McCourty
Nate Solder
Chandler Jones
Dont'a Hightower
The Bad:
Dominique Easley
Malcom Brown
Brandon Meriweather
Laurence Mahoney
Ben Watson
Jerod Mayo (injury prone)

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a TT fan at all, but I would say he is on par or above with most other teams:
The Good:
Aaron Rodgers
BJ Raji (though screwed us now)
Clay Matthews
Bryan Bulaga
Nick Perry
Haha Clinton Dix
The Bad:
Derek Sherrod
Datone Jones
Too Early to Know:
Demarious Randall and Kenny Clark

Patriots under BB as their true GM:
The Good:
Devon McCourty
Nate Solder
Chandler Jones
Dont'a Hightower
The Bad:
Dominique Easley
Malcom Brown
Brandon Meriweather
Laurence Mahoney
Ben Watson
Jerod Mayo (injury prone)
I'm not sure how you can list Nick Perry as good yet, considering we've had 1 productive year from him in 5.

But you're right, NE hasn't exactly knocked it out of the park in the 1st, nor has GB whiffed that much. What yet have done is used a little thing called free agency, both for depth and for difference makers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where would you put Hawk and Harrell? Sure that Perry doesn't go in the 'too soon' pile?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts