Ronald Darby on the Block?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Eagles are currently without any day 2 picks. After their selection at #32 they don’t have another pick until #130. Rumor has it that Howie Roseman is looking to remedy that situation. Cheap talent is even more critical than normal for the Super Bowl champs as they’re quite cap strapped.

The rumor is that after selecting Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas last year, they’re looking to accrue a day two pick by flipping a corner. Ronald Darby is the one thought most likely to be on the block (though Jalen Mills might be in play as well).

Darby is 24, exceptionally talented, and has one more year of a cheap rookie deal before he will become expensive. The Eagles nabbed him from the Bills last offseason for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd. He played quite well for Philly (I believe PFF graded him around 85), but missed significant time with an ankle. Given the missed time and one less year of cheap control, the price will have certainly come down. Perhaps a 3rd on its own would suffice. Maybe even the first pick in the 4th, which the Packers now own.

Darby was drafted in Buffalo during the Ryan era and played well immediately. That would bode well for his fit in Pettine’s similar scheme. The Bills flipped him as they were installing a much more heavily zone defense under Sean McDermott.

So what say you? Would you give up #76 for Darby? Or maybe #101 and some later consideration? I would do that all day long. I like him better than any corner on the market by a good margin. He’s young, talented, and proven.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I can see a move like this taking place in light of the trade that BGK pulled off on Friday. And I would love it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darby is coming off an inconsistent injury riddled season. He might be worth a look if he can be had for a third rounder.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles ,with their cap problems, combined with no draft picks to help replace free agents leaving..... they would be an excellent candidate to trade players for picks....

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is good, but my question is why would 2 teams already want to trade him this early in his career? Is there a reason why teams are ready to move on from him so quickly?

Reaction score
The Eagles are currently without any day 2 picks. After their selection at #32 they don’t have another pick until #130. Rumor has it that Howie Roseman is looking to remedy that situation. Cheap talent is even more critical than normal for the Super Bowl champs as they’re quite cap strapped.

The rumor is that after selecting Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas last year, they’re looking to accrue a day two pick by flipping a corner. Ronald Darby is the one thought most likely to be on the block (though Jalen Mills might be in play as well).

Darby is 24, exceptionally talented, and has one more year of a cheap rookie deal before he will become expensive. The Eagles nabbed him from the Bills last offseason for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd. He played quite well for Philly (I believe PFF graded him around 85), but missed significant time with an ankle. Given the missed time and one less year of cheap control, the price will have certainly come down. Perhaps a 3rd on its own would suffice. Maybe even the first pick in the 4th, which the Packers now own.

Darby was drafted in Buffalo during the Ryan era and played well immediately. That would bode well for his fit in Pettine’s similar scheme. The Bills flipped him as they were installing a much more heavily zone defense under Sean McDermott.

So what say you? Would you give up #76 for Darby? Or maybe #101 and some later consideration? I would do that all day long. I like him better than any corner on the market by a good margin. He’s young, talented, and proven.
I don’t know enough about Mills or Darby or their internal dealings, but the philosophy of trading at least some draft capital at a position of dire need (like Veteran CB) is brilliant.
We need to be shopping by using 1-2 of our draft picks (package a 4th and a 7th etc.) and firming up a position of need.
I’m concerned about using a 2nd in 2018 tho (a current year 2nd rounder is worth a lot at our pick) because we can trade up into the early second round if necessary. I’d hate to miss that guy that slips out of the 1st round that is a perfect fit so to speak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think he is good, but my question is why would 2 teams already want to trade him this early in his career? Is there a reason why teams are ready to move on from him so quickly?

No one can know for certain, but the reasons I offered were that in Buffalo’s case he didn’t fit the scheme. That seems fairly sensible to me. One of the benefits of that system is that it doesn’t require expensive man cover corners.

And now in Philly’s case, they’re deep at corner and in need to cheap drafted talent to manage the cap. Darby is a year away from being more expensive than they can likely handle.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would give up the #76 for Darby, nothing less. Straight up trade. However, Darby would have to play solely in the slot. He leaves after next season and GB gains a compensatory pick for the 2019 draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would give up the #76 for Darby, nothing less. Straight up trade. However, Darby would have to play solely in the slot. He leaves after next season and GB gains a compensatory pick for the 2019 draft.

Why would he have to play solely in the slot?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just to contexualize the potential price tag, here are the Packers 3rd round selections of the past ten years: Montravious Adams, Kyler Fackrell, Ty Montgomery, Khyri Thornton, Richard Rodgers, Alex Green, Morgan Burnett, and Jermichael Finley.

Certainly far from a worthless round. However, in ten years they haven’t found a player of Darby’s value there. Burnett has obviously been a fixture, but he’s still not as valuable as a good starting cornerback.

One other thing to consider, with a pick now at 101 and lots of extra picks late (two 4th’s, three 5th’s, two 6th’s, and two 7th’s), the Packers are in position to move back into the 3rd if someone they covet is there.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he have to play solely in the slot?

My mistake. I think I will always get Ronald Darby confused with Nickell Robey-Coleman with the Rams. Both played for the Bills. Darby is bigger than I thought. However, I would be more interested in Patrick Robinson. GB desperately needs an upgrade at slot corner. A CB with the size of Darby or Robinson would combat big backs, TE's, and big slot receivers. Robinson would just come cheaper on a multi-year deal.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darby and DRC wouldn't cost much at all and would completely change my outlook on our secondary. But as we all know, we're not the only team interested in improving.