Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

buckthorn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know the Jets were picking that high. Thanks for the info. I wonder how far up they could move if they traded those two picks. Unless they think Love is the guy, they need a QB and this is a pretty good class if they can get in the top 5-7.
Speaking as both a Jets and Packers fan (saw Joe Willie Namath live at Shea several times when I was a kid), I hope the Jets don't go after Rogers. It's too short-term, too risky, and likely too costly (1st rounder plus?). It's not worth it. I'd prefer to see the Jets try for Derek Carr.
As for Rogers, I can't see him staying in GB unless the Packers do -- or pledge to do -- some significant strengthening and reinforcing of their roster. I see no sign of that, and have little faith that they would do what it takes. Which means he's probably headed elsewhere. But where - and it's got to be a contender -- is anyone's guess.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking as both a Jets and Packers fan (saw Joe Willie Namath live at Shea several times when I was a kid), I hope the Jets don't go after Rogers. It's too short-term, too risky, and likely too costly (1st rounder plus?). It's not worth it. I'd prefer to see the Jets try for Derek Carr.
As for Rogers, I can't see him staying in GB unless the Packers do -- or pledge to do -- some significant strengthening and reinforcing of their roster. I see no sign of that, and have little faith that they would do what it takes. Which means he's probably headed elsewhere. But where - and it's got to be a contender -- is anyone's guess.

I still say if no other team bites, Jets should offer this year 2nd and 4th and make all the future picks conditional. 2024 nothing higher than 3rd unless playoffs and only a 1st if you make the SB....2025 same thing - if the conditional all rise it 100% will have been worth it given the results...if not you really are out a only Day 2s and/or less.

Offer I'd make Gute is:

2023 2nd rounder
2023 4th rounder
2024 3rd (playoffs 2nd / SB appearance 1st)
2025 5th rounder (4th if Rodgers doesn't retire and plays 2024 / 3rd if make playoffs / 2nd if SB appearance and 1st if win it)
Denzel Mims or Jeremy Ruckert

buckthorn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say if no other team bites, Jets should offer this year 2nd and 4th and make all the future picks conditional. 2024 nothing higher than 3rd unless playoffs and only a 1st if you make the SB....2025 same thing - if the conditional all rise it 100% will have been worth it given the results...if not you really are out a only Day 2s and/or less.

Offer I'd make Gute is:

2023 2nd rounder
2023 4th rounder
2024 3rd (playoffs 2nd / SB appearance 1st)
2025 5th rounder (4th if Rodgers doesn't retire and plays 2024 / 3rd if make playoffs / 2nd if SB appearance and 1st if win it)
Denzel Mims or Jeremy Ruckert
As far as deals go, this is pretty reasonable and thoughtfully constructed. But (Jets hat on) I'd hate to see the Jets waste time with Rogers (opportunity costs, that's how I see it) when they could put their resources towards a good, hopefully longer-term answer at QB; e.g. Carr, maybe Garropolo...who else is clearly available and worth a look?

But I think you're right that the Packers shouldn't expect much more than this in a trade. Unless you're "this close" to a Super Bowl and think Rogers can push you over the goal line, you're overpaying if you offer a first-rounder (or more).

And if Rogers does get traded, and it's Love next season, then it sure smells like a rebuild, which may not be much fun to watch for at least a couple of years, if not longer. And people will look back and say (rightfully) that the Packers GMs failed by not surrounding Rogers with enough talent, and largely wasted his carer. Pretty sad, but true.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR Carr I believe should be their priority, and honestly should be for a few teams (Washington, Carolina and I’d argue Ravens if Lamar is gone)

D

Deleted member 6794

Philly traded a higher 1st and 2nd than we had, so no, I don't think that would have happened without more being added to the pot. Brown would have been a great addition though. I would not have wanted to give up much to get Hill.

The Eagles traded their first rounder (18th overall) and a third rounder (101st) to the Titans for A.J. Brown. I'm quite sure the Packers using one of their first and another second rounder would have been good enough to acquire him.

It wasn't just a matter of picks for these guys. It was also a matter of money. Then there's the amount of future you have with them, compared to what you have with a pick, like Watson.

I've always been against the idea of putting all your hopes in one player. It ends up with that guy being on the shelf with an injury, and here you are with that big contract, and nobody on the field, while someone else is getting the best out of that guy you should have got, and on a rookie contract.

Brown actually agreed to a pretty decent deal as well. He counts only $5.7 million towards the Eagles cap this season and only an additional $20.7 million over the next two years. The Packers could have definitely made that work. I agree they would have had to structure Hill's deal in a different way to fit him under the cap though.

It never became public but yes it was keep Favre and trade Rodgers or keep Rodgers and trade Favre. Rodgers agent had made that clear to the Packers FO. And obviously Brett wasn't going to unretire to be a backup

Just out of curiosity, where do you have that info from if it never became public?

Davante all but came out and clearly stated he wants Rodgers in LV now yesterday....to me I actually see LV far more likely than Jets due to they had success taking Adams, past dealings, and Rodgers would 1 - not be a Favre repeat and 2 - get to end his career with Davante....

I'm absolutely convinced the Jets are far above the Raiders on teams Rodgers is interested playing for next season.

As for Rogers, I can't see him staying in GB unless the Packers do -- or pledge to do -- some significant strengthening and reinforcing of their roster. I see no sign of that, and have little faith that they would do what it takes.

As I have mentioned repeatedly, I don't believe the Packers are that far off of being a legit contender with Rodgers.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where do you have that info from if it never became public

It was word on the streets at the time, I happen to grow up with someone that was in position to have information that wasn't reported by the media.

You could also ask Andrew Brandt...I believe I heard or read him mention it more recently as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It was word on the streets at the time, I happen to grow up with someone that was in position to have information that wasn't reported by the media.

You could also ask Andrew Brandt...I believe I heard or read him mention it more recently as well.
Andrew has repeatedly said aaron wanted a trade

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were a Jets fan, I wouldn't want Rodgers either. He's not a LT solution and he's high maintenance. On the other hand, the NFL is a "win while you can" league, and the Jets have everything in place but QB. It won't be that long before Sauce Garner will be looking for $25 mil, so teams have to leverage the rookie deals. Hard call. I don't think Derek Carr could carry them. Maybe Jimmy G. (And we must be around the same age if you saw Broadway Joe at Shea.)

As for who else would want Rodgers, the next most likely place is LV. Reunite Rodgers and Adams. Retain Jacobs. Not nearly as good a team as the Jets, but they have a lot on offense.

I'm just ready for the Packers to move on from Rodgers. As talented as he is, he's an arrogant PITA, far worse than Favre ever was. Get some first round picks and move on. And FWIW, I don't think Love is the guy, but we'll learn the the hard way......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andrew has repeatedly said aaron wanted a trade
Brandt would be a good source. And it just makes sense. Rodgers was picked at #23 and thought he should have been #1. He sat for 3 years. He wanted to play, and as we saw, he was ready.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two things. No matter who's under center this coming year, the Packers are gonna suck! Secondly, and most important, the sooner the Packers get past the Rodgers/Love era completely, the better. Neither is in the future of the Packers, and they need to start addressing that issue.

When the Packers return, as a force to be reckoned with, they'll have a brand new QB, a few "veterans" like Doubs and Watson, and a brand new look defense, that's geared to put pressure on QBs, and be stingy against the run. That might even mean there will be a whole new brand of coaches in town.

You need to realize that nibbling at being real good, and not really getting there, is not the objective in the NFL. There is one winner each year, and 31 losers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Rogers, I can't see him staying in GB unless the Packers do -- or pledge to do -- some significant strengthening and reinforcing of their roster.
Unless I'm missing something, Rodgers wants to stay in GB, that's not the issue. It's the team that will or won't decide to move on. But I could see that keeping Rodgers is too expensive to allow them to do significant strengthening and reinforcing of their roster.

As I have mentioned repeatedly, I don't believe the Packers are that far off of being a legit contender with Rodgers.
Contender as in winning the division, or maybe winning a playoff game? Sure. Winning the Super Bowl? I don't see it.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

and if the Packers had gone with Favre another year exactly what would Rodgers have done? Same thing Love will do if Rodgers is back next year - hold the clipboard and cash the checks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Do you have a link to a story in which Brandt mentioned something about it? I've read a ton from him but can't remember anything like it.

Two things. No matter who's under center this coming year, the Packers are gonna suck!

I don't think that would be true if Rodgers is around.

When the Packers return, as a force to be reckoned with, they'll have a brand new QB, a few "veterans" like Doubs and Watson, and a brand new look defense, that's geared to put pressure on QBs, and be stingy against the run. That might even mean there will be a whole new brand of coaches in town.

In my opinion a new coordinator could have made the only difference needed for the defense to be a force to be reckoned with this upcoming season.

Contender as in winning the division, or maybe winning a playoff game? Sure. Winning the Super Bowl? I don't see it.

I think the chances are pretty small the Packers will end up a legit Super Bowl contender even with Rodgers back next season. But if Gutekunst hits on some moves this offseason it might be possible.

If the Packers don't agree with that take it's definitely time to move on from Rodgers though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if the Packers had gone with Favre another year exactly what would Rodgers have done? Same thing Love will do if Rodgers is back next year - hold the clipboard and cash the checks

Idk about that? Back when Rodgers demanded to start or be traded the collective bargaining agreement was much more tolerable of hold outs. I think he would of held out and then you have a whole nother distraction.

Currently hold outs are finicially not possible except for by the most prestigious players. ie guys the team is never going to make pay those daily fines. Love is probably close to that level due to his draft status, position, and potential

Im pretty sure forcing Love to hold a clipboard is not a situation the Packers want to have inside the lockeroom

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didnt read this article but it seems from the first paragraph he probably does mention it in this article. Otherwise If I recall correctly which im pretty sure I do. He uses the same story as in the screenshot tweet, in an article that he also mentions Rodgers was to demand a trade prior to the 2008 season

Sorry not the best info but should help you find it...im in the middle of a bunch of work stuff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_071220_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_071220_Chrome.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, Rodgers wants to stay in GB, that's not the issue. It's the team that will or won't decide to move on. But I could see that keeping Rodgers is too expensive to allow them to do significant strengthening and reinforcing of their roster.

Fix the RT position and I think we'd have better than a puncher's chance just from that. I'm most concerned about the DC job doing less with more on the defensive side o the ball. I know our WR's and TE's aren't strong, but I expect our WR's to be better just from experience. It's not hard to replace our TE production LOL. we could do that with anybody and there's a lot of room to go up with who we replace them with too.

This team isn't a player away, but they aren't all that far away either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fix the RT position and I think we'd have better than a puncher's chance just from that. I'm most concerned about the DC job doing less with more on the defensive side o the ball. I know our WR's and TE's aren't strong, but I expect our WR's to be better just from experience. It's not hard to replace our TE production LOL. we could do that with anybody and there's a lot of room to go up with who we replace them with too.

Well said. Rodgers aside, there is significant talent on this team. Positions of need are S, RT, TE and probably Edge and G. But the team isn't that far from a deep playoff run. Probably sounds strange to some after last year. Of course QB play is critical, but this team is nowhere near the need for a rebuild.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree. I do want any R tackle to be able to run block effectively. Would rather have that even if I had to go down a half step in pass pro.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I do want any R tackle to be able to run block effectively. Would rather have that even if I had to go down a half step in pass pro.
That's a good point. Both Jones and Dillon are very good backs, yet they seemed to struggle or fight for every yard they got. The line needs to give them more room to run. Fighting for every inch takes a toll. RB is a demanding position. It may be one reason for the lack of success inside an opponent’s five yard line.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with Brady retiring again today (I think he means it this time), Rodgers will likely play next year to go avoid going into the HOF as second fiddle. Then again, maybe he'll surprise us and retire so he can "sit" with his "plant" in Peru.

More likely he gets traded, and with 2 or 3 teams probably interested in acquiring him, maybe the Packers can get two first round picks. That would be a good deal IMO. Time will tell.
I honestly don't see where people are thinking that Rodgers might get traded. I know that they have to do something about Love. But if they are waiting for a decision from Rodgers what makes anyone think they would trade him?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly don't see where people are thinking that Rodgers might get traded. I know that they have to do something about Love. But if they are waiting for a decision from Rodgers what makes anyone think they would trade him?
I think it's a decision Rodgers makes with the Packers. Now that you mention it though, it's not a sure thing. My guess is that after so many years of getting close and failing, the Packers and a lot of fans would like to move on.

I don't care much either way. I don't think Rodgers can take this team to a SB. If he has 2 years left, and I think he does, then grab some draft capital, send him to a team in need of a QB to make a SB run, and move on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you truly think a SB appearance is realistic in next 2 years given the state of the team and how they handle fa ? If no, then dump him while you can get something

They think love is capable

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are rumors going around that the Packers are thinking about trading him. But you make a good point. If that's what they're doing, why are they waiting for a decision from Rodgers? Maybe to see if he'll be available to trade to someone? My guess is they are looking to see what they can get for him, and decide from there whether or not it's worth it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are awaiting AR's decision whether he's retiring or wanting to play in '23. Makes no sense for Gute to be shopping AR in a trade of nobody knows if he'll continue. I think management is confident that Love is ready & willing to start him in '23.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts