Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Rodgers goes to administration and says:
I've decided I'm playing football next year - unless you want to trade me, in which case I'm retiring?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Rodgers goes to administration and says:
I've decided I'm playing football next year - unless you want to trade me, in which case I'm retiring?

Then he retires IF GB desires to move on. IF that is how it happens I actually bet that will not be known for years - more than ever before I do strongly feel neither side is going to be mad or bitter and understand each other's position well whatever it might be.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then he retires IF GB desires to move on. IF that is how it happens I actually bet that will not be known for years - more than ever before I do strongly feel neither side is going to be mad or bitter and understand each other's position well whatever it might be.
Yeah unlike two years ago, Rodgers and the Packers area actually getting along. I'm certain now that Rodgers will play at least one more year. In GB or not. Although any team willing to trade for him will want a two-year commitment, in writing most likely.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do recall that as well which I think is why the Vikings were willing to go 3. And Favres first choice was Vikings 2nd was Bucs Jets were just a means to an end. Favre was pissed and Rodgers is going to be to too. They both good at using that stuff as motivation. Ted was scared and the Packers got taken in that scenario. Bucs or Vikings either way youre getting a lot more than a 2nd round pick...lets just hope Gutey isnt scared and it doesnt happen again
They want out to dinner night before and believed he was a Buc

Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced Rodgers will let the Packers know before the start of the new league year about his decision. That's definitely early enough for them to make proper decision based on it.
I just watched a clip from Aaron and he said no way would he try to steal the spotlight from the teams still playing in a Super Bowl, which is good. If I remember correctly he said a decision would come late February - earlier March timeframe.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched a clip from Aaron and he said no way would he try to steal the spotlight from the teams still playing in a Super Bowl, which is good. If I remember correctly he said a decision would come late February - earlier March timeframe.

Only way I see an announcement happening before SB would be full retirement, he won’t drop the bomb he is going to be going elsewhere and all heck break loose.

I believe week following SB is the moment

D

Deleted member 6794

Trading 5 draft picks for a WR is way past "all in" LOL. Thank goodness we didn't do that. We didn't have better picks than Philly to trade to TN but yes I realize there's always something "more" we could do.

The Packers received a first and a second rounder in the trade for Adams. That means they would have had to add two fourth and a sixth rounder to acquire Tyreek Hill. I don't think that would have been too steep of a price if they would have actually been interested in going all-in last offseason.

Rodgers had thrown a total of 59 passes in the NFL when he demanded to be traded or start after his third season.

I don't remember Rodgers demanded to be traded after sitting behing Favre for three seasons.

I don't get all this talk about re-building. They have not done anything to me that suggests they are considering re-building. They would have to start releasing people left and right. Which they have not done imho. When Rodgers says he wants no part of re-building; maybe he means trading him to a team that is re-building. Which also would make no sense for a re-building team to want Rodgers.

Teams aren't making any moves at this point in the offseason. It's anybody's guess which direction the Packers are headed for next season.

Just wondering. What could the Pack have traded to get Ty Hill or AJ Brown?

The Packers could have traded one of the first rounders and another second rounder in last year's draft to acquire Brown. Considering they traded both of their second rounders to move up to select Watson not too steep of a price.

With Hill it's realistic their original first rounder, the second rounder acquired in the trade for Adams and two fourth and a sixth rounder would have been enough to make that trade. Once again, if you plan on going all-in I would have been fine with it.

Wow, I didn't know the Jets were picking that high. Thanks for the info. I wonder how far up they could move if they traded those two picks. Unless they think Love is the guy, they need a QB and this is a pretty good class if they can get in the top 5-7.

According to the NFL draft value chart trading the 13th and 15th pick would be good enough to move up to third. I don't think that's gonna work in reality though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly traded a higher 1st and 2nd than we had, so no, I don't think that would have happened without more being added to the pot. Brown would have been a great addition though. I would not have wanted to give up much to get Hill.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems odd from a man who's ego is so large he'd stave off retirement so he can have a larger spotlight...

He probably is just doing this so he can appear benevolent and feed that side of his ego. See how charitable I am, i've given you your Super Bowl unfettered by more news about me... I'm surprised the media hasn't started beating that drum for everyone yet LOL

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't just a matter of picks for these guys. It was also a matter of money. Then there's the amount of future you have with them, compared to what you have with a pick, like Watson.

Personally, I believe that Watson may prove to be the better deal, based on his rookie contract, and potential to be one of the better receivers in the league. He may never compare directly to Hill, as an example, but if he can get 80% of his production, I think that makes him a steal pick.

I've always been against the idea of putting all your hopes in one player. It ends up with that guy being on the shelf with an injury, and here you are with that big contract, and nobody on the field, while someone else is getting the best out of that guy you should have got, and on a rookie contract.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember Rodgers demanded to be traded after sitting behing Favre for three seasons.

It never became public but yes it was keep Favre and trade Rodgers or keep Rodgers and trade Favre. Rodgers agent had made that clear to the Packers FO. And obviously Brett wasn't going to unretire to be a backup

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They want out to dinner night before and believed he was a Buc
I don't think it's just Favre or Rodgers. I think anyone in that position would be motivated to play his former
Only way I see an announcement happening before SB would be full retirement, he won’t drop the bomb he is going to be going elsewhere and all heck break loose.

I think you're right Ty. Any decision will come after the SB is well over. My guess is he'll keep playing to avoid going into the HOF with Brady. He may very well stay here another year, or go somewhere else for two years. Still a lot of money on the table for him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will give the Sb 1 week to calm down, then announce
Agree. I'm also certain a decision by Rodgers and the Packers, and maybe another team, has been worked out already. With Brady retiring, I just don't see him retiring now, but the guy is full of surprises.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I'm also certain a decision by Rodgers and the Packers, and maybe another team, has been worked out already. With Brady retiring, I just don't see him retiring now, but the guy is full of surprises.

I tend to agree that IF both sides know he's not gonna be in GB negotiations and such behind doors are being had. I could see say if it is the Jets perhaps future conditional parameters still being fleshed out for what escalates a pick higher....I could also see a player negotiation for inclusion...I don't expect a lot back but I personally would see if they'd toss Denzel Mims in or Jeremy Ruckert...both would instantly be worst case depth guys with potential still and are each on rookie deals.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would not mind a trade at the 13th pick on draft day.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the NFL draft value chart trading the 13th and 15th pick would be good enough to move up to third. I don't think that's gonna work in reality though.
And I would not want to do that. If there is still a top QB left; they may be able to get real good value trading down from there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante all but came out and clearly stated he wants Rodgers in LV now yesterday....to me I actually see LV far more likely than Jets due to they had success taking Adams, past dealings, and Rodgers would 1 - not be a Favre repeat and 2 - get to end his career with Davante....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Davante all but came out and clearly stated he wants Rodgers in LV now yesterday....to me I actually see LV far more likely than Jets due to they had success taking Adams, past dealings, and Rodgers would 1 - not be a Favre repeat and 2 - get to end his career with Davante....

While I can see it happening, it also will depend on what QB the Raiders can get in the draft. Might be a better long term option for them to find one with their #7 pick or package that and other assets to move up.

Carr isn't a terrible QB, which leads me to believe that the Raiders are more than "just a QB away" from SB contention. The Jets on the other hand, might be.

If the Packers end up trading Rodgers, the more teams that want him, the more assets the Packers will get. So yeah, bring on the Raiders, Jets, Titans, Browns, Seahawks, etc. and let the bidding begin!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought Adams left because of Rodgers? LOL

anyway, I think these guys are playing with everyone.

Besides, their HC is the problem, that team is going nowhere fast with him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers end up trading Rodgers, the more teams that want him, the more assets the Packers will get. So yeah, bring on the Raiders, Jets, Titans, Browns, Seahawks, etc. and let the bidding begin!
If you're going to throw in Seattle, then might as well include: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa, Washington, New Orleans as well other AFC teams Steelers & Indy. Hard to believe there are so many teams that don't like their QB's in-house at the moment and might consider a temporary vet for a couple of years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Adams left because of Rodgers? LOL

anyway, I think these guys are playing with everyone.

Besides, their HC is the problem, that team is going nowhere fast with him.

He could be just drumming up pressure that would work in his friend's favor with GB management....perhaps forcing them to "run it back" instead of losing him to LV....who knows right now. Lot of possible directions this all heads, with none truly eliminated yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you're going to throw in Seattle, then might as well include: Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa, Washington, New Orleans as well other AFC teams Steelers & Indy. Hard to believe there are so many teams that don't like their QB's in-house at the moment and might consider a temporary vet for a couple of years.
Agreed. If Gute is only looking to trade him to an AFC, he cut half the bidders out, not a good move IMO. If there is a MUCH better offer from an NFC team, I'd take my chances on having to face Rodgers once in awhile. Keep him out of the North, unless the Bears want to throw in a few extra first round picks.

Reaction score
Seems odd from a man who's ego is so large he'd stave off retirement so he can have a larger spotlight...

He probably is just doing this so he can appear benevolent and feed that side of his ego. See how charitable I am, i've given you your Super Bowl unfettered by more news about me... I'm surprised the media hasn't started beating that drum for everyone yet LOL
More n more I think Rodgers has matured some as we all are a work in progress. He’s been a Packer for a long time and even though he hadn’t always acted appropriately (imo)
I do have compassion for his tenure coming to a possible close. He’s been fantastic to watch and we’ve had wonderful memories. I’ll always wish him well on a personal level and I’d do that even if he didn’t reciprocate because I’m called to do that.
That said for me it comes down to our future and this decision is extremely tough. If we didn’t have an option that was groomed I’d lean more to hold onto him. As it is, he’s not performing to his short range cost, so he’s underperforming and we don’t have the assets to properly retool him which is a catch 22. There’s good arguments both sides.

In my fantasy world he says I’ll commit to 3 seasons at $33mil per annum on a restructure and make it punitive if I bow out. However, tool me heavy on Offense to protect me and allow me to thrive. I know that’s dreamland but it’s an area and display of total commitment that would tempt me as a GM.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I can see it happening, it also will depend on what QB the Raiders can get in the draft. Might be a better long term option for them to find one with their #7 pick or package that and other assets to move up.

Carr isn't a terrible QB, which leads me to believe that the Raiders are more than "just a QB away" from SB contention. The Jets on the other hand, might be.

Good point about the Raiders possible getting a LT QB in the draft. Rodgers is a two-year rental.

I don't think the Browns are interested, and if they are, there's not much they can do about it I think. They made a deal with the devil when they bought Watson for $230 mil, all guaranteed. But yeah, there is competition and the Packers could get two first round picks.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts