Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d like to respond to that. I disagree but not for the reason you would naturally suspect. I believe that Rodgers is extra self-centered and always has been. Rodgers far and above about Rodgers. This notion he’s a “team” guy and everything he’s done for this team is almost laughable.
That's fine. Except every time I see some no name with a small story it's about how Rodgers behind the scenes came to bat for them. But it was probably just so Rodgers could feed his ego...Even 2 years ago, was as much to do about how others were treated. Others that didn't have the sway a player like Rodgers has to step up and say something. But some see it only as Rodgers for Rodgers. Again, probably to feed his ego. He didn't really care how his teammates were treated...

Just last year you guys tried convincing me all of his "control" was about dictating what they did with Adams. and just like every year when the drums beat it ended it was a big fat nothing.

in almost 20 years you've had 2 guys basically say he's not a great teammate and every other one saying he is. I'd say, he can't be that self centered. This notion that he's not a team player is also "laughable".

Reaction score
That's fine. Except every time I see some no name with a small story it's about how Rodgers behind the scenes came to bat for them. But it was probably just so Rodgers could feed his ego...Even 2 years ago, was as much to do about how others were treated. Others that didn't have the sway a player like Rodgers has to step up and say something. But some see it only as Rodgers for Rodgers. Again, probably to feed his ego. He didn't really care how his teammates were treated...

Just last year you guys tried convincing me all of his "control" was about dictating what they did with Adams. and just like every year when the drums beat it ended it was a big fat nothing.

in almost 20 years you've had 2 guys basically say he's not a great teammate and every other one saying he is. I'd say, he can't be that self centered. This notion that he's not a team player is also "laughable".
I’m not condemning him. The guy is human and we are all flawed. You are looking for the good, which is noble. You are a normal person looking fir normal things that really aren’t there. It’s not your fault he’s a weirdo! Lol.
Now. I don’t believe all the stories I do believe in the fruit of his actions always comes to light. People just get figured out after awhile and he’s one that’s definitely “complicated” That was said jokingly at one time,
I think? but it’s very spot on!

These elite athletes almost always have personality issues more often than not. Maybe big money at a young age makes you a little crazy idk. I didn’t fall into that category. Lol

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not condemning him. The guy is human and we are all flawed. You are looking for the good, which is noble. You are a normal person looking fir normal things that really aren’t there. It’s not your fault he’s a weirdo! Lol.
Now. I don’t believe all the stories I do believe in the fruit of his actions always comes to light. People just get figured out after awhile and he’s one that’s definitely “complicated” That was said jokingly at one time,
I think? but it’s very spot on!

These elite athletes almost always have personality issues more often than not. Maybe big money at a young age makes you a little crazy idk. I didn’t fall into that category. Lol
no, but you said he wasn't a team player, a guy can care about himself and a team and keep both in mind throughout a career. I disagree that's it's always been about himself.

i know he's complicated, but it is pretty "normal" to contemplate a career in the NFL when you're about to turn 40. It's normal to decide if you want to play another year. He's already played longer than most. I think it's normal to recognize that even if you decide you do still want to play, you know you're likely not around long enough for a rebuild.

I think it's normal to think the team knows i'm not likely going to be here for a rebuild and in that case it might be a good idea to explore other options considering they've already drafted the guy they want to replace me with. I do think it's all normal, especially for a guy that thinks about everything, like Rodgers appears to.

Reaction score
I agree with your whole post, but I have to ask about the statement above, are we that close? We have a lot of starters and key backups sitting on expired contracts. With the cap situation, can we resign those key players AND fill the holes you speak about? I wouldn't count on the draft to fill more than 1 starting role, if that.
It’s a good question but loaded answer.
I’ll just say the list of FA doesn’t scare me. There’s 4-5 keep players over $4M that are FA that concern me some. Past that? They are all <$3m or far less.

I think we can get 3 of the 5 most key FA players resigned. Not sure about Lazard or Amos or Tonyan but I believe 1 or 2 get resigned.

I think you might be underestimating picking mid-draft a little bit. Last time we got a somewhat inexperienced college player in Rashan as a project and a very good LG in Elgton and dint underestimate Dexter Williams!

No! but seriously if you draft players that are more seasoned, but maybe not those impressive RAS or High ceiling guys you can get some college players who contribute earlier. Also you CAN find guys in the bargain bin as noted by Keisean Nixon, Rudy Ford etc..

I would consider moving up into that top 65-70 area a 3rd time for a good player fit and come out with 3 starters without too much trouble.

Reaction score
no, but you said he wasn't a team player, a guy can care about himself and a team and keep both in mind throughout a career. I disagree that's it's always been about himself.

i know he's complicated, but it is pretty "normal" to contemplate a career in the NFL when you're about to turn 40. It's normal to decide if you want to play another year. He's already played longer than most. I think it's normal to recognize that even if you decide you do still want to play, you know you're likely not around long enough for a rebuild.

I think it's normal to think the team knows i'm not likely going to be here for a rebuild and in that case it might be a good idea to explore other options considering they've already drafted the guy they want to replace me with. I do think it's all normal, especially for a guy that thinks about everything, like Rodgers appears to.
I’m not disagreeing that #12 should contemplate anything. I have zero problem with that. I do think he needs to lean on getting the Packers an answer leaning sooner this season. He owes that much to his Employer. My Dad just instilled that in me at a young age. To be respectful and be fair to your Employer, especially concerning major decisions like leaving or retirement.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his appearance on the Pat M. show 2 weeks ago, he specifically said that he would not be a part of a rebuild and if that was the direction the Packers were going to take, he wouldn't be a part of it.

So while some might say "his preference" is to be in GB, as is his contract, him saying he wants to finish his career in GB, are merely hollow words on his part. Clearly, he will only finish his career in GB, if it is on his terms. Rodgers apologists continue to insist he is loyal to GB and that the media and fans are just trying to twist his words. No twisting the meaning and intent of what he said, it is his way or the highway. That is the pickle that the Packers find themselves in.
If they rebuild and he retires then he did finish his career in GB. So in that case I guess the Rodgers apologists (which I am not one) would be correct.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No! but seriously if you draft players that are more seasoned, but maybe not those impressive RAS or High ceiling guys you can get some college players who contribute earlier.
I didn't say that you can't get immediate impact players in their rookie seasons. What I did say is that you shouldn't rely on it.

If they rebuild and he retires then he did finish his career in GB. So in that case I guess the Rodgers apologists (which I am not one) would be correct.

I never said that I had a problem with him contemplating retirement, we all do some day. However, I think he needs to be given a reasonable timeline to make that decision. There are a lot of important decisions for the Packers to make between now and Sept. Some of those decisions need to be made before the start of the league year. What Rodgers decides, impacts many of those decisions. Sure, the Packers can plan around all 4 scenarios, but they shouldn't have to. Nor should all of the players, that might be effected by those decisions.

Imagine knowing you have a deadline for a term paper to be done and turned in, but the teacher has only narrowed it down to be on 1 of 4 topics. Do you start researching and spending a lot of time on all 4 topics? That way when she tells you what her decision for a topic is, you are basically done with all the legwork on all 4 topics and its just a matter of focusing on just the 1 now and tossing the other 3 in the trash.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when you're an NFL GM and the career of a player can be over in the blink of an eye at any given moment, you deal with turnover in coaches and players every single year AND you've already traded up to draft the successor of your aging QB? yeah, you plan for a few scenarios. You did after all, initiate some contingency plans 3 years ago already. They aren't some college kid skating by with all nighters here. LOL. They aren't caught of by guard by any of this.

Reaction score
when you're an NFL GM and the career of a player can be over in the blink of an eye at any given moment, you deal with turnover in coaches and players every single year AND you've already traded up to draft the successor of your aging QB? yeah, you plan for a few scenarios. You did after all, initiate some contingency plans 3 years ago already. They aren't some college kid skating by with all nighters here. LOL. They aren't caught of by guard by any of this.
Yes. Another point I’d make is we Still have no idea what we have in Jordan Love. Draft position doesn’t guarantee success. We see that with Brock Purdy and St Brown and countless others. Yet there is a reason Purdy got passed on 250 times.

We could be sitting on a gem at $25mil for the next 2 seasons and arguing about a $100mil alternative. Which if that’s the case we’re all a bunch of idiots, me included. If Jordan was ready to take the next step and shine? But we held back out of fear? I for one am not worried about Rodgers leaving, it’s gonna happen this year or next etc.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think you're right. Everyone has been out in the open, maybe no one more so than Rodgers. He admits he may be playing somewhere else. Gluten has said he wants him back, but he almost has to say that, right? He'll trade Rodgers for the right deal.

Personally, I'm ok with a trade. Seems that the likeliest dance partner is the Jets, and that's fine. Ideally two first round picks. Realistically a first and second. It just seems like it's time to move on. I can only speak for myself. As much as I enjoyed watching him play and acknowledge the immense talent, it's just time for a change. I'm really tired of Rodgers shtick. Doesn't seem very likely that another season with him will produce much either. The SB window closed in the 2021-2022 season with a loss to the Niners.

After 30 years of great QB play, let's see what's next.
In his appearance on the Pat M. show 2 weeks ago, he specifically said that he would not be a part of a rebuild and if that was the direction the Packers were going to take, he wouldn't be a part of it.

So while some might say "his preference" is to be in GB, as is his contract, him saying he wants to finish his career in GB, are merely hollow words on his part. Clearly, he will only finish his career in GB, if it is on his terms. Rodgers apologists continue to insist he is loyal to GB and that the media and fans are just trying to twist his words. No twisting the meaning and intent of what he said, it is his way or the highway. That is the pickle that the Packers find themselves in.
Rodgers is loyal to Rodgers. He'd finish his career in Siberia if he thought it was good for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not trying to convince anyone they went all in. Outside of some massive trade to get someone in here, I'm not sure what they could have done at pass catcher more than what they really did. They signed a vet with potential. Another solid vet, drafted a guy they could with as much potential as anyone in the draft and made all those other moves. I guess they should have signed OBJ like so many wanted?

The Packers could have traded for A.J. Brown or Tyreek Hill if they really wanted to go all-in.

My point, he's not half assing it. You can't do everything. They only reason I brought up love is because some think they're playing both scenarios and I think it's pretty clear they've committed to Rodgers while he's here. Cutting Preston, letting Rasul and Campbell walk because they cost money and they want to save cap etc would be playing both sides of the fence and not trying to put a team around Rodgers to win.

People can not like the plan, but it wasn't half assed IMO.

I don't think the Packers half assed the situation with Love last offseason. But they for sure didn't commit to Rodgers at the time they drafted his successor just to chicken out of it once he performed at an elite level again the following season.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, Gutekunst already got it wrong with Rodgers once. He better be right about him this time around.

I don't have any issue with an elite quarterback not wanting to be part of a rebuild in a season in which he turns 40.

However, he is putting conditions on staying, a year after he agreed to a four-year, $200 million extension with the team.

Now you're just making up numbers to try to support your claim.

I would have no issues with what he is saying/doing right now, if in that contract he made Green Bay put a clause allowing him to dictate such moves.

The Packers actually structured his extension in a way to have an out this offseason. Strangely, nobody is complaining about that.

I’m not disagreeing that #12 should contemplate anything. I have zero problem with that. I do think he needs to lean on getting the Packers an answer leaning sooner this season. He owes that much to his Employer. My Dad just instilled that in me at a young age. To be respectful and be fair to your Employer, especially concerning major decisions like leaving or retirement.

However, I think he needs to be given a reasonable timeline to make that decision. There are a lot of important decisions for the Packers to make between now and Sept. Some of those decisions need to be made before the start of the league year. What Rodgers decides, impacts many of those decisions. Sure, the Packers can plan around all 4 scenarios, but they shouldn't have to. Nor should all of the players, that might be effected by those decisions.

I'm absolutely convinced Rodgers will let the Packers know before the start of the new league year about his decision. That's definitely early enough for them to make proper decision based on it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading 5 draft picks for a WR is way past "all in" LOL. Thank goodness we didn't do that. We didn't have better picks than Philly to trade to TN but yes I realize there's always something "more" we could do. But this debate is as fruitless as those making it seem like a soon to be 40 year old QB deciding if he wants to play another season is reasonable or not. Considering what GB was faced with last season and the moves we made, i'm disappointed it didn't work better than it did, but I can' reasonably expect they should have just done more because they went at it half assed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Another point I’d make is we Still have no idea what we have in Jordan Love. Draft position doesn’t guarantee success. We see that with Brock Purdy and St Brown and countless others. Yet there is a reason Purdy got passed on 250 times.

We could be sitting on a gem at $25mil for the next 2 seasons and arguing about a $100mil alternative. Which if that’s the case we’re all a bunch of idiots, me included. If Jordan was ready to take the next step and shine? But we held back out of fear? I for one am not worried about Rodgers leaving, it’s gonna happen this year or next etc.
We don't know, but the fact they moved up to draft him is pretty solid proof the FO is preparing for things and making contingency plans. This notion they're just cramming for a final the night before FA or the draft because they just don't have any clue what a soon to be 40 YO QB might do is kind of silly. They're planning and they started planning way before any us started thinking about it. It's the nature of the business for every team, especially ones with QB's facing an NFL season at 40.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucs were ready to pounce. I recall Bretts business partner screaming… come on Ted Tampa wants him

I do recall that as well which I think is why the Vikings were willing to go 3. And Favres first choice was Vikings 2nd was Bucs Jets were just a means to an end. Favre was pissed and Rodgers is going to be to too. They both good at using that stuff as motivation. Ted was scared and the Packers got taken in that scenario. Bucs or Vikings either way youre getting a lot more than a 2nd round pick...lets just hope Gutey isnt scared and it doesnt happen again

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love has thrown a total of 83 passes in his NFL career. He's a complete unknown at the pro level at this point.

In addition I don't believe a lot of teams will line up to trade for him anyway as 20 teams passed him over in the draft as well. He hasn't shown anything for them to change their mind.

Rodgers had thrown a total of 59 passes in the NFL when he demanded to be traded or start after his third season. More than 20 teams had passed on him too...

I think youre incorrect and that someone certainly would trade for him being under contract for about 2 years 23 milion

Just for comparison after 3 seasons...

Rodgers completed 35 of those passes 59.3 % for 1 td 1 int and 319 yards

Love has completed 50 of 83 60.2 % for 3 tds and 3 ints and 606 yards

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur, Rodgers has made it clear his preference has always been to end his career a Packer, BUT during the really bad off season we had a few back, even he made it clear there was a massive void between the two sides and looking elsewhere was for sure part of the discussions or thoughts.

Personally speaking I've never got the vibe Rodgers would prefer to leave the Packers, but I also will never be convinced the thought or even the desire for some moments to leave hasn't been in his mind as well; and for sure at times and for reasons that has been with validity or arguments which make sense.
I never got that feeling that he wanted to leave GB either. And I don't have an issue with him taking his time to decide his future = if he wants to continue playing. IMO the Packers are doing it right by him by not pressuring him for an answer (at least not publicly).

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Hackett was hired as HC of Denver the speculation was that Rodgers would go there. Now that Hackett is OC at the Jets the speculation is that Rodgers will go there. I'm not so sure. I'm sure that Hackett and Rodgers had a good relationship but not sure that he would be the reason Rodgers would go to the Jets
I never said that he absolutely wanted out of Green Bay. However, he is putting conditions on staying, a year after he agreed to a four-year, $200 million extension with the team. I would have no issues with what he is saying/doing right now, if in that contract he made Green Bay put a clause allowing him to dictate such moves.

Sorry, but when I sign a contract, I read the entire thing, understand it and only sign it, if I agree to the terms. Rodgers holding the Packers organization hostage, once again, with 4 potential outcomes (play for GB, retire, sit, trade), is just more of the Rodgers BS, of wanting control of a situation, that no player should have.
I don't see Rodgers taking his as holding the team hostage. In fact I see it as a plus. It shows they value him as a player and a person by allowing him time to make this decision. It isn't unusual for a player of his age to contemplate retirement. Time is on everyone's side here.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get all this talk about re-building. They have not done anything to me that suggests they are considering re-building. They would have to start releasing people left and right. Which they have not done imho. When Rodgers says he wants no part of re-building; maybe he means trading him to a team that is re-building. Which also would make no sense for a re-building team to want Rodgers.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could have traded for A.J. Brown or Tyreek Hill if they really wanted to go all-in.

I don't think the Packers half assed the situation with Love last offseason. But they for sure didn't commit to Rodgers at the time they drafted his successor just to chicken out of it once he performed at an elite level again the following season.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, Gutekunst already got it wrong with Rodgers once. He better be right about him this time around.

I don't have any issue with an elite quarterback not wanting to be part of a rebuild in a season in which he turns 40.

Now you're just making up numbers to try to support your claim.

The Packers actually structured his extension in a way to have an out this offseason. Strangely, nobody is complaining about that.

I'm absolutely convinced Rodgers will let the Packers know before the start of the new league year about his decision. That's definitely early enough for them to make proper decision based on it.
Just wondering. What could the Pack have traded to get Ty Hill or AJ Brown?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get all this talk about re-building. They have not done anything to me that suggests they are considering re-building. They would have to start releasing people left and right. Which they have not done imho. When Rodgers says he wants no part of re-building; maybe he means trading him to a team that is re-building. Which also would make no sense for a re-building team to want Rodgers.

They're facing cap casualties or future cap casualties by restructuring and shoving tons of cash forward....I think what people mean by this is the fact Tonyan/Lewis/Lazard/Crosby all four specifically mentioned along with even Jones (his contract IF he stays has to be worked out) all are five massive cogs which IF Rodgers isn't back GB most likely or potentially won't consider resigning...you also have Amos that left...if you're going younger and rebuild/reload in a fashion Rodgers wants nothing to do with you aren't doing anything as you described until the first chip falls.

GB has time to wait on Rodgers...but once that chip falls, you will start seeing all the others fall. If Rodgers says he is not coming back to GB....you may see Crosby retire, news drop that Tonyan and GB have decided not to resign....similar thing may occur with Lazard or Big Dog....

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're facing cap casualties or future cakp casualties by restructuring and shoving tons of cash forward....I think what people mean by this is the fact Tonyan/Lewis/Lazard/Crosby all four specifically mentioned along with even Jones (his contract IF he stays has to be worked out) all are five massive cogs which IF Rodgers isn't back GB most likely or potentially won't consider resigning...you also have Amos that left...if you're going younger and rebuild/reload in a fashion Rodgers wants nothing to do with you aren't doing anything as you described until the first chip falls.

GB has time to wait on Rodgers...but once that chip falls, you will start seeing all the other
I don't see anything there as re-building. More like business as usual. May not be what I like but... Yes,we pushed the cap. Hope we can get something for it and move on w/o making it worse.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see anything there as re-building. More like business as usual. May not be what I like but... Yes,we pushed the cap. Hope we can get something for it and move on w/o making it worse.

If you don't see that as a rebuild not resigning those vets and ensuring Jones is reworked to be here I completely understand, simple fact is numerous times Aaron has expressed and discussed the importance of these individuals and his returning. If they want to go younger and rebuild he doesn't wish to be part of that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you don't see that as a rebuild not resigning those vets and ensuring Jones is reworked to be here I completely understand, simple fact is numerous times Aaron has expressed and discussed the importance of these individuals and his returning. If they want to go younger and rebuild he doesn't wish to be part of that.
Well, with Brady retiring again today (I think he means it this time), Rodgers will likely play next year to go avoid going into the HOF as second fiddle. Then again, maybe he'll surprise us and retire so he can "sit" with his "plant" in Peru.

More likely he gets traded, and with 2 or 3 teams probably interested in acquiring him, maybe the Packers can get two first round picks. That would be a good deal IMO. Time will tell.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with Brady retiring again today (I think he means it this time), Rodgers will likely play next year to go avoid going into the HOF as second fiddle. Then again, maybe he'll surprise us and retire so he can "sit" with his "plant" in Peru.

More likely he gets traded, and with 2 or 3 teams probably interested in acquiring him, maybe the Packers can get two first round picks. That would be a good deal IMO. Time will tell.
I think you're right about him not wanting to be on the same first time ballot as Brady. I think he'd stay another year to avoid it. Egos get in the way of things.

If he did go to the Jets, and we got their #1 this year, it would be #13. We'd be picking #13 & #15. Should be some talent out there for both picks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right about him not wanting to be on the same first time ballot as Brady. I think he'd stay another year to avoid it. Egos get in the way of things.

If he did go to the Jets, and we got their #1 this year, it would be #13. We'd be picking #13 & #15. Should be some talent out there for both picks.
Wow, I didn't know the Jets were picking that high. Thanks for the info. I wonder how far up they could move if they traded those two picks. Unless they think Love is the guy, they need a QB and this is a pretty good class if they can get in the top 5-7.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts