Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do agree with your sentiment and observation, Rodgers is 39, has been hemming and hawing over this decision in each of the last 3 off-seasons and takes up a large percentage of the cap. At some point the carousel will stop and the longer the Packers wait for Rodgers to decide when he wants off, the less they benefit in the process, IMO.

Keeping him in GB another season, might seem "safe and familiar", but will even a healthy Aaron Rodgers, which isn't a guarantee, make this 8-9 team good enough to make a run at a SB? I doubt it.

As painful as it will be for some fans, the time is now overdue by a year, to get as much for Rodgers as the Packers can and let him finish elsewhere. Let the rebuild and repair the cap begin!

Agree and well said.

Only reason we keep Rodgers is nostalgia and legacy respect, has nothing to do with believing the team is measurably better at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well said
Thanks
Agree and well said.

Only reason we keep Rodgers is nostalgia and legacy respect, has nothing to do with believing the team is measurably better at this point.
Agree.

For better or worse, Rodgers has become "the face" of the Packers. He was a great QB and he probably can still be a very good QB, but its time to make it all about the Packers team and not just one fricking guy. Hard to find one article just about the team, without it mentioning Rodgers and his influence on the organization.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has had a good run. He can't carry a team anymore. These last 3 years seemed harder than they should have been. There were many games that this offense looked like a high school offense with a first time coach. That's not all on Aaron..some is..most on the gms for barely giving him any weapons after 2011.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly Tampa thought they were getting Favre & their brass went out to dinner the night before to celebrate. Next day Jets deal went thru leaving Tampa bewildered. They sucked in '08 without a star QB & Gruden got fired.

I wondered if the Hackett hire had something to do with potential AR trade...but Hackett & Saleh have coached together before & are friends so makes football sense.
When Hackett was hired as HC of Denver the speculation was that Rodgers would go there. Now that Hackett is OC at the Jets the speculation is that Rodgers will go there. I'm not so sure. I'm sure that Hackett and Rodgers had a good relationship but not sure that he would be the reason Rodgers would go to the Jets.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Hackett was hired as HC of Denver the speculation was that Rodgers would go there. Now that Hackett is OC at the Jets the speculation is that Rodgers will go there. I'm not so sure. I'm sure that Hackett and Rodgers had a good relationship but not sure that he would be the reason Rodgers would go to the Jets.
If Rodgers does leave going to a system he knows and thrived in would for sure in my opinion be a massive player in his decision.

Reaction score
If Rodgers does leave going to a system he knows and thrived in would for sure in my opinion be a massive player in his decision.
I’d feel great if we got anywhere in that Day 1 selection plus maybe a Day 2 and him going to the AFC.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that Favre was only 38 when the Packers traded him to the Jets for peanuts. Rodgers is 39 and like Favre, has waivered on retirement for 3 straight off seasons. One thing I appreciated about Favre, it wasn't about playing for the Packers or not, it was just a question of "to play or not to play."

Trade Rodgers while the "getting is still good!"
Isn't Rodgers trying to decide if he wants to continue playing?

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't consider Gute going "half ***" either. There's only so many moves you can make, so many players available, so much cap, so much whatever. Just because they have Love and Rodgers doesn't mean he's playing both sides. I think the signings, re-signings, movement of money etc showed you exactly what they were trying to do. If Jordan Love wasn't on this team last year and they made all those moves to keep this team going, what would you think? He was sitting on his hands and not making decisions?

There were no trade partners for a complete unknown who hadn't played in 2 years to move love and get players or picks and Rodgers was an MVP, they were clearly moving in one direction, not the other. They had to do a lot just to make the moves they did and this year could be worse with having tied hands and yet i'm pretty sure they're still going to be making moves.

My opinion that the Packers didn't go all-in has nothing to do with Love having been on the roster last season. Of course, they shouldn't have drafted him in the first place if they wanted to go all-in while Rodgers is still around but that's a completely different story.

But, there's no way of making me believe they went all-in while surrounding Rodgers with the talent level at pass catchers the Packers had entering the 2022 season.

I do think this is still a better roster than we've had most years since the 2011 championship. Losing Aaron Jones will be devastating, but the offensive line is still good and the defense is still well-rounded.

I agree that the Packers roster isn't as bad as some around here want to make you believe. They need to upgrade the right side of the offensive line though. They can keep Jones around by restructuring his contract as well.

Yes, Rodgers hasn't even made a decision on if he wants to play in 2023.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's said it as plain as day as recently as just last week. He was giving possible scenarios, but at this point the first thing is, does he still want to play? and he hasn't decided yet. Then it's about, do the Packers have him in their plans?

But it's become pretty clear over the past few seasons, some look for any way to twist every action or word into a negative. As if there is anything shocking about a QB going to be 40 contemplating the commitment required for another season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But, there's no way of making me believe they went all-in while surrounding Rodgers with the talent level at pass catchers the Packers had entering the 2022 season.
I'm not trying to convince anyone they went all in. Outside of some massive trade to get someone in here, I'm not sure what they could have done at pass catcher more than what they really did. They signed a vet with potential. Another solid vet, drafted a guy they could with as much potential as anyone in the draft and made all those other moves. I guess they should have signed OBJ like so many wanted?

My point, he's not half assing it. You can't do everything. They only reason I brought up love is because some think they're playing both scenarios and I think it's pretty clear they've committed to Rodgers while he's here. Cutting Preston, letting Rasul and Campbell walk because they cost money and they want to save cap etc would be playing both sides of the fence and not trying to put a team around Rodgers to win.

People can not like the plan, but it wasn't half assed IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I concur with AJ Hawk, Ty and the crew at Pat MaCafee who all just last week interpreted him as he is coming back for sure - it is merely a matter of does his vision and Packers vision align...I think only and ONLY if they don't would retiring be on the table. None of us know how those internal convos have went, maybe he truly is considering retiring now IF GB wants to go a different direction than him with rebuild vs reload mentality (could be not even a Love over him for 2023 thing).

I know yet again I'll be watching Pat's show today for his appearance, no clear direction most likely will be shared - but Aaron always drops little nuggets for sure in how he answers and chooses his words.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, he is, AKA "to retire or not to retire." In the case of Rodgers, it is also a question of "to play for the Packers or play for another team." That was my point, Favre may have waivered about retirement, actually doing it once, but he never waivered about what team he wanted to play for.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither has Rodgers. he's always said he wants to play here. it's always been his goal to play for this team until he's done. He's said it repeatedly.

But in talking in one instance he brought up that it might not be here for other reasons like the team wanting to move on, some take no time in trying to use it against him, again.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither has Rodgers. he's always said he wants to play here. it's always been his goal to play for this team until he's done. He's said it repeatedly.

But in talking in one instance he brought up that it might not be here for other reasons like the team wanting to move on, some take no time in trying to use it against him, again.

I concur, Rodgers has made it clear his preference has always been to end his career a Packer, BUT during the really bad off season we had a few back, even he made it clear there was a massive void between the two sides and looking elsewhere was for sure part of the discussions or thoughts.

Personally speaking I've never got the vibe Rodgers would prefer to leave the Packers, but I also will never be convinced the thought or even the desire for some moments to leave hasn't been in his mind as well; and for sure at times and for reasons that has been with validity or arguments which make sense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur, Rodgers has made it clear his preference has always been to end his career a Packer, BUT during the really bad off season we had a few back, even he made it clear there was a massive void between the two sides and looking elsewhere was for sure part of the discussions or thoughts.

Personally speaking I've never got the vibe Rodgers would prefer to leave the Packers, but I also will never be convinced the thought or even the desire for some moments to leave hasn't been in his mind as well; and for sure at times and for reasons that has been with validity or arguments which make sense.
I'm sure he's had thoughts about it. Who doesn't? it's completely unnatural to expect someone not to at some point think, what if I did this instead? You think Favre didn't? Sure cozied up to the idea of playing in MN pretty quickly for someone who's never thought about it. I bet he was thinking about it before he was traded to the Jets and thought about it while playing for the Jets and you know what? so what. Adams wanted to leave here too, he still played hard the entire time he was here. I love him for it. why hold something like where someone would like to work against them anyway, because it's another reason to throw shade at someone?

Anyway, He was basically saying, sit down and talk with me or we're getting a divorce. That's not saying I don't want to be with you. It's saying, we need to work on this, because I want this to work. It's the exact opposite of saying, I want to play somewhere else.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he's had thoughts about it. Who doesn't? it's completely unnatural to expect someone not to at some point think, what if I did this instead?

He was basically saying, sit down and talk with me or we're getting a divorce. That's not saying I don't want to be with you. It's saying, we need to work on this, because I want this to stay good.

I personally feel many conversations have already been had. I strongly feel one of the following two things are where we are:

GB and Rodgers are together for 2023 and they have an understanding of how that is going to be constructed on a macro level (micro levels and signings and restructures to come)

OR

GB and Rodgers are together in understanding it is over and now the ball is in Rodgers' court deciding trade or retire.

I guess a third option is they are in agreement and trade is being fleshed out or negotiated right now.

Personally I do not see a chance where GB and Rodgers don't know the writing on the wall between them, good or bad.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally feel many conversations have already been had. I strongly feel one of the following two things are where we are:

GB and Rodgers are together for 2023 and they have an understanding of how that is going to be constructed on a macro level (micro levels and signings and restructures to come)

OR

GB and Rodgers are together in understanding it is over and now the ball is in Rodgers' court deciding trade or retire.

I guess a third option is they are in agreement and trade is being fleshed out or negotiated right now.

Personally I do not see a chance where GB and Rodgers don't know the writing on the wall between them, good or bad.
as for this year, I don't think there is any near the contentiousness others do between them this year, that conversation was in the rearview and by everything I've seen it was productive and has held true. I don't see it changing. First things first, he decides he's committing to play or not. I think if he decides to play, he is, somewhere. Most likely here. I don't think he'll decide he wants to play and then retire if doesn't get what he wants.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OR

Yeah I think you're right. Everyone has been out in the open, maybe no one more so than Rodgers. He admits he may be playing somewhere else. Gluten has said he wants him back, but he almost has to say that, right? He'll trade Rodgers for the right deal.

Personally, I'm ok with a trade. Seems that the likeliest dance partner is the Jets, and that's fine. Ideally two first round picks. A lot will depend on competition for Rodgers. The Jets, Raiders, and Colts seem most likely - Colts a bit of a reach.

It just seems like it's time to move on. I can only speak for myself. As much as I enjoyed watching him play and acknowledge the immense talent, it's just time for a change. I'm really tired of Rodgers shtick. Doesn't seem very likely that another season with him will produce much either. The SB window closed in the 2021-2022 season with a loss to the Niners.

After 30 years of great QB play, let's see what's next for GB.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

In his appearance on the Pat M. show 2 weeks ago, he specifically said that he would not be a part of a rebuild and if that was the direction the Packers were going to take, he wouldn't be a part of it.

So while some might say "his preference" is to be in GB, as is his contract, him saying he wants to finish his career in GB, are merely hollow words on his part. Clearly, he will only finish his career in GB, if it is on his terms. Rodgers apologists continue to insist he is loyal to GB and that the media and fans are just trying to twist his words. No twisting the meaning and intent of what he said, it is his way or the highway. That is the pickle that the Packers find themselves in.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his appearance on the Pat M. show 2 weeks ago, he specifically said that he would not be a part of a rebuild and if that was the direction the Packers were going to take, he wouldn't be a part of it.

So while some might say "his preference" is to be in GB, as is his contract, him saying he wants to finish his career in GB, are merely hollow words on his part. Clearly, he will only finish his career in GB, if it is on his terms. Rodgers apologists continue to insist he is loyal to GB and that the media and fans are just trying to twist his words. No twisting the meaning and intent of what he said, it is his way or the highway. That is the pickle that the Packers find themselves in.

For sure he said that, but that isn't the same as saying I want out of GB. There are factors that could make GB not an option for him and he must choose trade/retire essentially.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're only hallow to people like Poker, looking for reasons at every turn, to take a shot. There's twisting of words, that's for sure. Every action he has had for 2 decades has been for this team, but he describes a scenario where he might not be here and THAT is what you cling to. Even 2 years ago, it was exactly as I said before. It was a "we need to sit down and talk" moment because he didn't want it to end. He wanted to be here. Actions are always louder than words, that is of course unless you're looking for words to twist.

Seeing a scenario where he might not be in GB and deciding if he even wants to play here are 2 entirely different things and it should be obvious. Unless of course you're looking for yet another reason, to put down Rodgers. As if Favre never had a thought of playing anywhere else LOL. Never had thoughts about other women either LOL. he's married, stop...

Reaction score
My opinion that the Packers didn't go all-in has nothing to do with Love having been on the roster last season. Of course, they shouldn't have drafted him in the first place if they wanted to go all-in while Rodgers is still around but that's a completely different story.
I actually agree that the Packers have shown signs of NOT going all in several times recently. Love is just one of them. Recently drafting of Wyatt and benching him behind a thick group at DL is another of many very odd choices that we’ve made to “win now”. Regardless of what we all think of the players themselves, its immaterial. We also drafted Gary at a time we just signed 2 Very good Edge players??! Again, in hindsight I love the player, but that’s definitely not an “All-In” move to Win NOW. That’s a selection you make in an average “build for later” season.
I agree that the Packers roster isn't as bad as some around here want to make you believe. They need to upgrade the right side of the offensive line though.
I actually agree here. I believe we are 1-2 Defenders and 2-3 Offensive upgrades off of being really stacked with talent. Obviously some coaching upgrades would also help. Totally attainable that if we hit at 5 of 7 areas of needed improvement. (With Rodgers and including Staff upgrades) we’d be formidable.

Every action he has had for 2 decades has been for this team, but he describes a scenario where he might not be here and THAT is what you cling to.
I’d like to respond to that. I disagree but not for the reason you would naturally suspect. I believe that Rodgers is extra self-centered and always has been. Rodgers far and above is about numero uno. This notion he’s a “team” guy and everything he’s done for this team is almost laughable.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For sure he said that, but that isn't the same as saying I want out of GB. There are factors that could make GB not an option for him and he must choose trade/retire essentially.
I never said that he absolutely wanted out of Green Bay. However, he is putting conditions on staying, a year after he agreed to a four-year, $200 million extension with the team. I would have no issues with what he is saying/doing right now, if in that contract he made Green Bay put a clause allowing him to dictate such moves.

Sorry, but when I sign a contract, I read the entire thing, understand it and only sign it, if I agree to the terms. Rodgers holding the Packers organization hostage, once again, with 4 potential outcomes (play for GB, retire, sit, trade), is just more of the Rodgers BS, of wanting control of a situation, that no player should have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually agree here. I believe we are 1-2 Defenders and 2-3 Offensive upgrades off of being really stacked with talent. Obviously some coaching upgrades would also help.
I agree with your whole post, but I have to ask about the statement above, are we that close? We have a lot of starters and key backups sitting on expired contracts. With the cap situation, can we resign those key players AND fill the holes you speak about? I wouldn't count on the draft to fill more than 1 starting role, if that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts