Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough...our sources disagree. I trust mine you trust yours

As for the cell phone stuff...that was common even back then and is even more common now. No one follows tampering rules. How do you police that if youre the NFL?

Although I didnt know the NFL supplied cell phones to the players
The Bucs were ready to pounce. I recall Bretts business partner screaming… come on Ted Tampa wants him

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting that Favre was only 38 when the Packers traded him to the Jets for peanuts. Rodgers is 39 and like Favre, has waivered on retirement for 3 straight off seasons. One thing I appreciated about Favre, it wasn't about playing for the Packers or not, it was just a question of "to play or not to play."

Trade Rodgers while the "getting is still good!"

D

Deleted member 6794

I think there were some of us that were ready for Rodgers to be traded last offseason. In hindsight, had they pulled it off with Denver and Denver paid the same price they did for Russell Wilson, the Packers would have been in better shape today.

oh what if....they had and Denver had the same season.....
2023: 1st round pick #5
2nd round pick #37

It's entirely possible the Broncos end up having a much better season with Rodgers resulting in those picks being at the end of each round.

This whole "gives us the best chance of winning now" thing can be a real poison pill. I would prefer to look long term (1-4 years) and try to determine what gives us a chance of being on top for those years and more after. 2022 wasn't a season that the Packers actually went "all in", they once again underestimated Rodgers ability to elevate an offense without a lot of weapons.

The Packers seem to have taken that long-term approach as well for a long time while not focusing on the current season enough.

I just have this gut feeling that this Hackett signing and that owner really wanting a vet QB points to 12. Lotta smoke here. If he’s dumb enough to give us 2 1st rounders and whatever, then the hell with him. I’ll take it lol!

The Broncos weren't able to trade for Rodgers with Hackett being their head coach last year either.

anway, I don't think Gute was "half-assing" it. There are a lot of moving parts. They did a lot of things last offseason to prepare for this one, and yes, one of those things was rely on youth at WR position.

There's no way of going all-in while relying on the receiving corps the Packers had in 2022.

Ok, you keep saying "unknown." Hes not as unknown as you're saying. We know the Packers really liked his potential coming out of college. Presumably a handful of other teams did too. Likely at least one of those teams is in dire need of a qb for the next 10 to 15 years

Love has thrown a total of 83 passes in his NFL career. He's a complete unknown at the pro level at this point.

In addition I don't believe a lot of teams will line up to trade for him anyway as 20 teams passed him over in the draft as well. He hasn't shown anything for them to change their mind.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way of going all-in while relying on the receiving corps the Packers had in 2022.
There's more to a team than WR's. They made some very big moves last year to make a run at this year. Rasul, Campbell, Rodgers, restuctured Amos, BakhT, PReston, etc. Watkins didn't work at all, but you could argue he was one of the top 10 WR's that was actually available last season. They made a gigantic offer to the best FA WR on the market last year and were turned down.

Yeah it sucks that's what we had to go with, but for all they did last year in terms of roster, I would never call it "half assed" including all the inseason additions that revamped our special teams too. Call gute what you want, but he's not lazy and he's not half assed either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's entirely possible the Broncos end up having a much better season with Rodgers resulting in those picks being at the end of each round.
Of course there was that chance or even the chance that Rodgers gets hurt and the Broncos go 1-16. I was simply stating a "what if?" scenario.

The Packers seem to have taken that long-term approach as well for a long time while not focusing on the current season enough.
As I believe that I pointed out in another post, Gute has kind of straddled both approaches. We saw that "reload" approach this season, while trying to address immediate needs (WR) with rookies. In hindsight, it was kind of a foolish approach, the Packers were relying on 2 rookie WR's and a bargain basement FA cast-off vet to improve the WR room. Meanwhile, another season of pushing owed cap money into the future, with a now 39 year old QB. Time to get off the carousel in my opinion.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where there is smoke...

Pretty sure if they get a trade package they like, he is gone. Front office probably thought they did enough with the changes and financial commitment, but then he started the same old song and dance, they probably had enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never before has it circulated as much about the organization truly ready to move on...Rodgers is rumored to be unhappy one year and they bring in his buddy Cobb as a sign of good will....next year again more unhappiness and they pay him a BRINKS truck....all the while both years STRONGLY saying they want Rodgers back. This year everything was more carefully worded.

I think both sides are tired and just not happy, but neither wants to be the bad guy and all involved are hoping for a decent breakup.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Never before has it circulated as much about the organization truly ready to move on...Rodgers is rumored to be unhappy one year and they bring in his buddy Cobb as a sign of good will....next year again more unhappiness and they pay him a BRINKS truck....all the while both years STRONGLY saying they want Rodgers back. This year everything was more carefully worded.

I think both sides are tired and just not happy, but neither wants to be the bad guy and all involved are hoping for a decent breakup.
I totally agree with you and my post was a bit sarcastic. However, we have seen this soap opera before and the media will continue to push every angle.

That said, like many people, I'm ready for a new start and the Rodgers carousel to stop spinning, so he can jump off it. In exchange for all the money the Packer organization paid him, they get a few decent draft assets for him, while they still can and he can start up his Rodgers show in a new City.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
What would be a good return if they do trade Rodgers?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be a good return if they do trade Rodgers?

I keep going back and forth.

Personally speaking it depends how much return Gute and Co want or are willing to take in the future than the present. IF it is the Jets and we MUST have their #13 pick I don’t personally think we get another guaranteed 1st and I don’t think a guaranteed 2nd even honestly.

If we get the #13 I envision only Day 3 pick or so this year with everything in the future being conditionals like a 2024 3rd which goes to a 2nd if Rodgers plays say 75% of the 2023 season and only a first if Jets make playoffs, you try and get something similar in 2025 draft conditionally based on 2024. Maybe starts as a 5th, goes to 4th if he plays, 3rd it half the season, 2nd if make playoffs and 1st if gets to SB.

Me personally I’m Gute I tell Jets I’ll take your second and third this year plus next years 2nd that becomes a 1 if Jets make playoffs and give you Rodgers plus two of our sevenths this year.

That’s my baseline, I’d fight for something in 2025 conditional.

For the record I also feel out getting Mims back in return - Elijah Moore isn’t happening - I think it hilarious folks pretend Rodgers is getting us a Wilson type haul. Mims however is a guy I know we liked his draft year, is outside looking in on their depth and could fight for a spot here for sure.

Ruckert the just last year rookie from Wisconsin is another depth guy that could flourish into something to consider in a trade too back to us.

Reaction score
Looks to me like a trade is going to happen this time. I feel the best time to trade him was last year or the year before because of what we would have received in return. I'm not sure what we would get if he were traded this time, but I know it won't be nearly as much.

We really should have either traded him to build for the future or gone all in to win a Super Bowl, sacrificing the future for the present, before he retires. Instead, we tried to have it both ways, now were most likely going to get neither a super bowl win in the next couple of years, nor multiple 1st and 2nd round picks, along with a couple of younger star players, which would have had us in excellent shape to win in the future.

I suppose we could have kept him two years ago and traded him after last season (which is probably what I would have done), but otherwise, we should have done one or the other.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Eagles Niners and we're seeing a 4th string QB replace. 3rd string QB and keeping them in the game. And we still don't know if our #2 QB can do it for us?? Zero confidence in Gute or Murphy at tjis time. Should have traded Rodgers last off season even though we'd just waste the draft picks on defensive underperformers.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching Eagles Niners and we're seeing a 4th string QB replace. 3rd string QB and keeping them in the game. And we still don't know if our #2 QB can do it for us?? Zero confidence in Gute or Murphy at tjis time. Should have traded Rodgers last off season even though we'd just waste the draft picks on defensive underperformers.
The 49ers are an enigma, most teams is ride or die on their star QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t see any of the game except the Eagles first TD. We were skiing and stopped in to grab a quick bite to eat. Got home and heard the score. It sure didn’t end up close.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
same think he can

Ninety got handled

D

Deleted member 6794

There's more to a team than WR's. They made some very big moves last year to make a run at this year. Rasul, Campbell, Rodgers, restuctured Amos, BakhT, PReston, etc. Watkins didn't work at all, but you could argue he was one of the top 10 WR's that was actually available last season. They made a gigantic offer to the best FA WR on the market last year and were turned down.

Yeah it sucks that's what we had to go with, but for all they did last year in terms of roster, I would never call it "half assed" including all the inseason additions that revamped our special teams too. Call gute what you want, but he's not lazy and he's not half assed either.

I agree there's much more to a team than just wide receivers and tight ends but a team surrounding their quarterback with the pass catchers the Packers had entering last season shouldn't be considered as going all-in by any means.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree there's much more to a team than just wide receivers and tight ends but a team surrounding their quarterback with the pass catchers the Packers had entering last season shouldn't be considered as going all-in by any means.
I wouldn't consider Gute going "half ***" either. There's only so many moves you can make, so many players available, so much cap, so much whatever. Just because they have Love and Rodgers doesn't mean he's playing both sides. I think the signings, re-signings, movement of money etc showed you exactly what they were trying to do. If Jordan Love wasn't on this team last year and they made all those moves to keep this team going, what would you think? He was sitting on his hands and not making decisions?

There were no trade partners for a complete unknown who hadn't played in 2 years to move love and get players or picks and Rodgers was an MVP, they were clearly moving in one direction, not the other. They had to do a lot just to make the moves they did and this year could be worse with having tied hands and yet i'm pretty sure they're still going to be making moves.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts:
This does feel like the end for Rodgers in Green Bay, although I hope that it isn't. Even Favre's weepy retirement speech in 2007 didn't bring the feeling of finality to me in the way that the Lions game and subsequent weeks has.

I say that I hope that it isn't because, primarily, I just don't think I nor Packers nation is ready for just how much it sucks to watch a team without an elite quarterback. Having a great QB is a luxury that makes every game watchable and makes every season feel like it has championship potential.

Additionally, I don't think the roster is necessarily in need of rebuild. It was a bad year, sure. But we've seen plenty of teams just have really bad years where they can't get on the same page and then come back and make a championship run the next year with the same roster. I do think this is still a better roster than we've had most years since the 2011 championship. Losing Aaron Jones will be devastating, but the offensive line is still good and the defense is still well-rounded.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I say that I hope that it isn't because, primarily, I just don't think I nor Packers nation is ready for just how much it sucks to watch a team without an elite quarterback. Having a great QB is a luxury that makes every game watchable and makes every season feel like it has championship potential.
While I do agree with your sentiment and observation, Rodgers is 39, has been hemming and hawing over this decision in each of the last 3 off-seasons and takes up a large percentage of the cap. At some point the carousel will stop and the longer the Packers wait for Rodgers to decide when he wants off, the less they benefit in the process, IMO.

Keeping him in GB another season, might seem "safe and familiar", but will even a healthy Aaron Rodgers, which isn't a guarantee, make this 8-9 team good enough to make a run at a SB? I doubt it.

As painful as it will be for some fans, the time is now overdue by a year, to get as much for Rodgers as the Packers can and let him finish elsewhere. Let the rebuild and repair the cap begin!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While I do agree with your sentiment and observation, Rodgers is 39, has been hemming and hawing over this decision in each of the last 3 off-seasons and takes up a large percentage of the cap. At some point the carousel will stop and the longer the Packers wait for Rodgers to decide when he wants off, the less they benefit in the process, IMO.

Keeping him in GB another season, might seem "safe and familiar", but will even a healthy Aaron Rodgers, which isn't a guarantee, make this 8-9 team good enough to make a run at a SB? I doubt it.

As painful as it will be for some fans, the time is now overdue by a year, to get as much for Rodgers as the Packers can and let him finish elsewhere. Let the rebuild and repair the cap begin!
Well said

Members online

Latest posts