Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As some others have mentioned, it would be foolish to not trade Rodgers to an NFC team if one of them is offering the best deal.
I am in that group of "others". Now if the "best deal" is the Lions throwing in an extra 6th round pick over what the Jets are offering, then I would go with the Jets. While there are teams out there that no doubt will want Rodgers, I think Packer fans need to brace themselves for getting less than what has been thrown around.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe, many of us have broken down the cost to the team getting him is not close to that. No where close.
Really? I don't think the cap hit is that big, but I thought he would get paid $58 mil. There's always a difference between actual cash out and the cap hit.

Now that you mention it, it does seem strange. He signed a three year deal for $150 mil. I thought he was actually paid $40 mil last year and $58 mil this year. What are the numbers? And I suppose if he is traded the acquiring team would want to rework that contract. Thanks Ty.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beat me to it. Actually, his cost to a new team, is what might make it attractive, as well as help to garner more in a trade. Rodgers also said he us willing to renegotiate his contract, whatever that might mean.
Thanks Poker. IF he does return, do you or Ty know what his cap hit would be, and how much he would actually be paid?

I read some other subsequent comments, and agree if he is traded, the acquiring team would want to rework that deal. That might actually be a big help to the Packers' cap - but I admit I don't know how cap is determined, voidable years, yada yada.

Either way, he stands to make a lot of money. but he needs four days in the dark to ponder that. Yeah, tough decision alright.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in that group of "others". Now if the "best deal" is the Lions throwing in an extra 6th round pick over what the Jets are offering, then I would go with the Jets. While there are teams out there that no doubt will want Rodgers, I think Packer fans need to brace themselves for getting less than what has been thrown around.
Agreed. There's no reason not to trade him to the highest bidder if it's an NFC team. I wouldn't trade him within the NFC North though, unless it's an offer Gluten can't refuse. Certainly the Lions and maybe the Queens would be interested. It's starting to look like the Lions are a QB away from being a damn good team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks Poker. IF he does return, do you or Ty know what his cap hit would be, and how much he would actually be paid?
Rodgers cap hit as a Packer for 2023 is coming up as: $31,623,568

How much he "makes": $59,515,000

I imagine that if he stays in GB, they could rework the cap hit number again, but it is just pushing more out into the future.

As far as how much he "makes", that is debatable too, since a lot of it was prepaid in guarantees.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I imagine that if he stays in GB, they could rework the cap hit number again, but it is just pushing more out into the future.

As far as how much he "makes", that is debatable too, since a lot of it was prepaid in guarantees.

Thanks Poker. It is confusing. The only thing that's clear is that it's a lot of ****ing money. And he needs four days in total darkness to decide if he should or should not collect. Drama queen.

And yeah, lowering the cap just means adding, I think they're called "voidable years". Whatever.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And yeah, lowering the cap just means adding, I think they're called "voidable years". Whatever.
Its like what many do with their credit cards, they open another one up, to pay off other cards and run up more debt in the process. Eventually, you either have not spend for a few straight years and/or really clean your team of all the big salaried guys.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its like what many do with their credit cards, they open another one up, to pay off other cards and run up more debt in the process. Eventually, you either have not spend for a few straight years and/or really clean your team of all the big salaried guys.
Well, it sounds like even if Rodgers plays two more years in GB, there would be a lot of dead cap. (I'm simply assuming the $150 mil was spread over five years for cap purposes, so $30 mil/year.)

I just have a feeling he'll be traded, or that deal has already been made. Who knows? I just don't see a guy who can still play leaving that much money on the table. He is declining, but slowly. Considering his thumb was a problem just about all season, he played well. And he doesn't have any kids to raise.

Reaction score

Yes. If I read it somewhere correctly, even if Rodgers is traded we’d have to convert some of his deal first or we’d have close to $100m accelerated. It’s more formality and Rodgers would do it as long as he’s getting paid similar in the end.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. There's no reason not to trade him to the highest bidder if it's an NFC team. I wouldn't trade him within the NFC North though, unless it's an offer Gluten can't refuse. Certainly the Lions and maybe the Queens would be interested. It's starting to look like the Lions are a QB away from being a damn good team.

The Packers definitely should trade him within the division if one of those teams offer the best deal. I highly doubt the Bears, Lions or Vikings are the ones interested in him though.

I have asked that question a lot of times but never received an answer from anyone so far. While I have heard the Packers should restructure Rodgers' deal to reduce his cap number on numerous occasions how on earth would they be able to make it work without him agreeing to forgo guaranteed money? The only way for them is to add a void year for the option bonus, which would result in cap savings of $2.915 million for 2023. Other than that there's no way.

It's pretty straightforward on how much money Rodgers has made in the past and will make if he continues to play.

Well, it sounds like even if Rodgers plays two more years in GB, there would be a lot of dead cap. (I'm simply assuming the $150 mil was spread over five years for cap purposes, so $30 mil/year.)

No, that's not how the contract is structured at all. I have explained how it works several times.

If I read it somewhere correctly, even if Rodgers is traded we’d have to convert some of his deal first or we’d have close to $100m accelerated.

There's absolutely no truth to it at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. If I read it somewhere correctly, even if Rodgers is traded we’d have to convert some of his deal first or we’d have close to $100m accelerated. It’s more formality and Rodgers would do it as long as he’s getting paid similar in the end.
Does that require some dead cap for the Packers - if they trade him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does that require some dead cap for the Packers - if they trade him?

Open the table up that I linked below. If you go all the way to the right for 2023 and each year after, click on the red X. That opens up the cap hit scenarios for a trade or cut both pre and post June 1st.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Open the table up that I linked below. If you go all the way to the right for 2023 and each year after, click on the red X. That opens up the cap hit scenarios for a trade or cut both pre and post June 1st.

Thanks Poker.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean Darrel Bevell.
Does Bevell call the plays for the Hags? That was a bad call, and Wilson should have had the presence to not throw it. ThePats don't need extra help winning SBs. Or at least they didn't with Brady.

And Bevell! Former Badger. He shoulda known better.

Reaction score

Thank you I never knew that opened a window

D

Deleted member 6794

Yikes, that's 14% of the cap, unless I'm missing something. Hard to build a team around someone eating up that much of the cap.

Mahomes took up 17% of the Chiefs cap this season. They didn't have any issue building a team around him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a record for a QB's cap space on a Super Bowl winner.
It might be. But it probably takes an exceptional QB to get a team to the SB. Next year Hurts will get paid. Same for Allen and Burrow and Herbert and Jackson, the other top QBs on superior teams who we can expect to see in future SBs.

It just tells me the Packers have not handled the rest of the personnel very well. Some bad luck was involved (Bakhtiari) but I think for the most part it's been picking the wrong players and/or overpaying them for the production. And their DCs have been uniformly bad for many years. The offense has usually saved them and now that's gone south.

But the reality is, as Bill Bellichik said, at the end of the season there is 1 winner and 31 plane crashes. So a lot of expensive QBs end up w/o a Lombardi.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yikes, that's 14% of the cap, unless I'm missing something. Hard to build a team around someone eating up that much of the cap.
Keep in mind, that number is just his cap hit, the Packers are actually paying him more than $50M/year. So in reality, Rodgers salary is 22% of the total amount a team can spend ($224.8M).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that number is just his cap hit, the Packers are actually paying him more than $50M/year. So in reality, Rodgers salary is 22% of the total amount a team can spend ($224.8M).
That's a better way to look at it. The cap is a hard dollar amount, and so is the money actually paid to a player. close to 25% of the cap for a franchise QB. It would be interesting to see how this has changed over time but have no idea how to calculate it (or really, I'm too lazy).

Reaction score
Mahomes took up 17% of the Chiefs cap this season. They didn't have any issue building a team around him.
Amen. I’m not nearly as concerned about Cap expenditures for a great player who is contributing as I am spending cap on someone who is no longer around.

Members online

Latest posts