Rodgers press conference

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year in Detroit, they called a play action on their own goal line. The result was a safety. Play call doesn't matter if the execution is awful.

The safety during last season´s game didn´t happen on a play action play, Flynn was lined up in the shotgun on the play and Suh beat Lang and Newhouse in less than two seconds to sack him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Means, "We won't bother throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down even though other teams are catching on that we are going to run it on 1st and 2nd down and they will stop us.We will keep on doing what we are doing because that is the only way we think will work. They need to make adjustments to win. To throw on 1st and 2nd downs to open up the run.
I heard this on the radio after the game too - so I thought I'd check it out. By my count, the Packers had 12 first downs in the first half. They started 4 of the 12 by running on both first and second down. They had 10 first downs in the second half. They didn't start any by running on consecutive downs. So that's 4 times in 22 chances they started by running two plays in a row. Sometimes perceptions are skewed after a frustrating/bad loss.
http://jsonline.sportsdirectinc.com...nfl/playbyplay/2014-2015/playbyplay42170.html

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The safety during last season´s game didn´t happen on a play action play, Flynn was lined up in the shotgun on the play and Suh beat Lang and Newhouse in less than two seconds to sack him.

Oops. Just found the play and you're right. Not sure why I remember it being play action.

Either way though, two completely different play calls that resulted in a safety due to poor execution.

The chat box was not happy at all after the run call, saying we should have passed. Run or pass, doesn't matter when the line doesn't execute.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's enough blame to go around for yesterday. But the one thing that I haven't seen too many ppl question is how HORRIBLY inaccurate Aaron Rodgers has been this year. I mean it's awful. Guys having to dive all over the place to catch what he's throwing. Nelson had his man beat in the endzone yesterday, and Rodgers just flat out missed him. He's underthrowing a vast majority of his throws.

And the one thing to this day, that I don't think I've ever seen him do is accept responsibility. He's quick to jump all over a receiver (like Adams yesterday on the quick throw out to him for what looked like a screen), but when he throws a ball low to Boykin on a screen, which results in Boykin having to get up off his knees after catching it, or behind Adams the second time on a screen, resulting in Adams having to drift backwards 4 yards and then recover because of the throw, you NEVER see him put it on himself. Rodgers is the reason that those plays failed. Not the receiver.

I don't get this. He made PLENTY of errors yesterday. Quick to blast others, too much pride it seems to accept his contribution(s)... I don't know. Wonder if it's tough to follow a guy like that sometimes...

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were not Philly. We don't have Shady

Yes, The Jets and the Lions are both currently ranked top 5 total defense's. Seattle isn't far behind. Last year we moved the ball early in the year on SF, Baltimore, Detroit, Cincinnati early on. All really good defenses when we played them.

I hope MM has found that were not Philly. We don't have a "Shady McCoy" or "Sproles" to gash defenses in space in this "hurry up offense". IMO there are personnel concerns. Let's just say I am not as excited as I was about this "75 play" offense we were supposed to see this year.

I think we will turn it around but I am pissed we are 1-2 as we need home field advantage.

Home field advantage doesn't really mean much to the Packers anymore. From 1936 - 2002 the Packers were something like 14-0 at home in playoff games, they were undefeated. Lambeau Field meant something. It was an intimidating place to play.

From 2003 to present the Packers are 3-5 at home in Playoff games. They have lost 5 out of 8. How does a team go undefeated for decades at home and then in the last 10 years have more losses than wins? Home field doesn't really mean anything anymore, the stats seem to back that up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There's enough blame to go around for yesterday. But the one thing that I haven't seen too many ppl question is how HORRIBLY inaccurate Aaron Rodgers has been this year. I mean it's awful. Guys having to dive all over the place to catch what he's throwing. Nelson had his man beat in the endzone yesterday, and Rodgers just flat out missed him. He's underthrowing a vast majority of his throws.

And the one thing to this day, that I don't think I've ever seen him do is accept responsibility. He's quick to jump all over a receiver (like Adams yesterday on the quick throw out to him for what looked like a screen), but when he throws a ball low to Boykin on a screen, which results in Boykin having to get up off his knees after catching it, or behind Adams the second time on a screen, resulting in Adams having to drift backwards 4 yards and then recover because of the throw, you NEVER see him put it on himself. Rodgers is the reason that those plays failed. Not the receiver.

I don't get this. He made PLENTY of errors yesterday. Quick to blast others, too much pride it seems to accept his contribution(s)... I don't know. Wonder if it's tough to follow a guy like that sometimes...

Home field advantage doesn't really mean much to the Packers anymore. From 1936 - 2002 the Packers were something like 14-0 at home in playoff games, they were undefeated. Lambeau Field meant something. It was an intimidating place to play.

From 2003 to present the Packers are 3-5 at home in Playoff games. They have lost 5 out of 8. How does a team go undefeated for decades at home and then in the last 10 years have more losses than wins? Home field doesn't really mean anything anymore, the stats seem to back that up.

It does if they have to go back to Seattle.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In his press conference yesterday he put blame on himself...at least for missing Nelson. He said he had Jordy in the endzone and "I threw it behind him" I mean yea he isn't saying "I played like crap, it is all on me" but he clearly said that one was on him. But I do agree with you, he has off games yet seems to blame the receivers a lot when the fault is in his poor pass to said receiver.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Yeah I have noticed this too. Rodgers appears to be aiming the ball more then usual. Also I have noticed on occasions on 3rd and short rather then getting first down he loads up and tries to go deep.

I hope he gets his Mojo back

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's what Rodgers had to sayabout the throw to Nelson in the end zone:

“We made an adjustment and he ran a great route and I missed him,” Rodgers said. “I missed him. It’s a throw I’ve made many times.”

Sounds to me like he's taking the blame when it's his fault.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard this on the radio after the game too - so I thought I'd check it out. By my count, the Packers had 12 first downs in the first half. They started 4 of the 12 by running on both first and second down. They had 10 first downs in the second half. They didn't start any by running on consecutive downs. So that's 4 times in 22 chances they started by running two plays in a row. Sometimes perceptions are skewed after a frustrating/bad loss.
http://jsonline.sportsdirectinc.com...nfl/playbyplay/2014-2015/playbyplay42170.html
Still should try throwing more on 1st/2nd downs.
They gotta do something different since the run keeps getting stopped.
It was no surprise that we got that safety that we deserved.
Really? Your going to hand off to the runner deep in the end zone like that with a defence that has been stopping him all day? No short pass out to the sideline to get some breathing room? Really?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It was no surprise that we got that safety that we deserved.
It wasn't a surprise to you TJ Lang completely blew a crucial block? And Bulaga couldn't sustain a block he had an incredible angle on? It was to me. And it's not as if the passing game was incredibly effective.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's because they were super good early on in their history, winning not only all the home games, but a lot of titles.

Then, for the next 30ish years, they had no home playoff games to lose. Next, they made the playoffs many times, but rarely were the best team in the league. That's how they went so long without losing one and then lost a bunch

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Rodgers had to sayabout the throw to Nelson in the end zone:

“We made an adjustment and he ran a great route and I missed him,” Rodgers said. “I missed him. It’s a throw I’ve made many times.”

Sounds to me like he's taking the blame when it's his fault.

Wow, thanks for letting me know that. I stopped watching his post game pressers. It always frustrated me in the past his lack of accepting blame.

I stand corrected. There's now one time that I've heard him accept blame. On one throw.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't a surprise to you TJ Lang completely blew a crucial block? And Bulaga couldn't sustain a block he had an incredible angle on? It was to me. And it's not as if the passing game was incredibly effective.
Agreed. Not sure what the issue is with Lacy--Fumble had him sitting for awhile. However last year, I think he had very few runs for loss--he spun or brut forced it when there wasn't a clear hole. You might have the numbers. He has quite a few runs for loss after 3 games it seems.

Clearly on Sunday, Starks ran harder.

Won't get any easier against the Bears. Hope that the "O" line plays better. They beat the Jets with Marshall catching one ball. That won't happen this week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Not sure what the issue is with Lacy--Fumble had him sitting for awhile. However last year, I think he had very few runs for loss--he spun or brut forced it when there wasn't a clear hole. You might have the numbers. He has quite a few runs for loss after 3 games it seems.

Lacy has 10 runs for no positive gain during three games this season (3.3 per game) while he had 49 total last season (3.5 per game as he missed nearly two full games).

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy has 10 runs for no positive gain during three games this season (3.3 per game) while he had 49 total last season (3.5 per game as he missed nearly two full games).
Appreciate the data. Thought it might show a trend--Obviously not.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Won't get any easier against the Bears. Hope that the "O" line plays better. They beat the Jets with Marshall catching one ball. That won't happen this week.

Jets had td not allowed by the refs

Bears had a pick 6

Jets had a fumble on a punt ret

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every season is different.
Ya just never know.
We had Philbin then, who I believe turned the offensive line around at the end of that season (likely with MM's prodding). Philbin was the offensive coordinator, but most importantly, an offensive line coach. After the Lions debacle, where the o line was overwhelmed, the offensive line (and hence the offense) turned into a dominating unit that was a key to the run to the Championship. I don't think there is a coach on the Packers that can do the same thing today. The Packers miss Philbin more than anyone would have guessed--except Aaron Rogers.