Rodgers press conference

D

Deleted member 6794

We had Philbin then, who I believe turned the offensive line around at the end of that season (likely with MM's prodding). Philbin was the offensive coordinator, but most importantly, an offensive line coach. After the Lions debacle, where the o line was overwhelmed, the offensive line (and hence the offense) turned into a dominating unit that was a key to the run to the Championship. I don't think there is a coach on the Packers that can do the same thing today. The Packers miss Philbin more than anyone would have guessed--except Aaron Rogers.

Not sure how much input Philbin had on the offensive line during the 2010 season, but James Campen was already the position coach at the time. I agree that the team misses Philbin though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`ve got to be honest here and say I`m losing a bit of faith in the golden boys leadership skills at the minute. This is a team game, and all he seems to do is shoot everybody that look of distain, instead of rallying the troops. Just my opinion of course, but its really beginning to tick me off.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how much input Philbin had on the offensive line during the 2010 season, but James Campen was already the position coach at the time. I agree that the team misses Philbin though.
I've had this discussion on the forum regarding this in the past. Seems to me I read something at the time about Philbin taking over the line after the Lions' game, but I can't find it. Somebody turned around the offense--and particularly the offensive line--in 2010. We haven't had a dominating offensive line since Larry Beightol left, who was the O-line coach for 7 years--previously the record for longevity. Campen now is the longest tenured o-line coach in Packers' history, and has never turned out an offensive line that consistently dominates the line of scrimmage--unless you give him the credit for the playoff run in 2010-2011. Something needs to change--maybe it's Clements and not Campen; maybe it's MM.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've had this discussion on the forum regarding this in the past. Seems to me I read something at the time about Philbin taking over the line after the Lions' game, but I can't find it. Somebody turned around the offense--and particularly the offensive line--in 2010. We haven't had a dominating offensive line since Larry Beightol left, who was the O-line coach for 7 years--previously the record for longevity. Campen now is the longest tenured o-line coach in Packers' history, and has never turned out an offensive line that consistently dominates the line of scrimmage--unless you give him the credit for the playoff run in 2010-2011. Something needs to change--maybe it's Clements and not Campen; maybe it's MM.

There´s no doubt something has to change on the offensive side of the ball. IMO the pass blocking is actually fine, the run blocking is terrible on the other side though. Rodgers actually had more than to throw the ball than a lot of other QBs during the first three games.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's Silverstein on differences between Rogers and MM: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ensive-differences-b99356258z1-276412501.html

(Interesting that 2011 is the last season with Philbin)

Rogers:
"We have to do a better job of adjusting some of our offense if a team is going to play us two-high and go back to some of the ways they did in 2011," Rodgers said of a defensive philosophy the Packers faced often before they found a running game with Lacy last season.

When asked what Rodgers might have been referencing, Clements said, "I don't know, you'll have to ask him."

Asked the same question, McCarthy said, "I'm not sure what you're talking about. Trouble adjusting? I don't remember."

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Won't get any easier against the Bears. Hope that the "O" line plays better. They beat the Jets with Marshall catching one ball. That won't happen this week.
Actually I think it will get easier against the Bears for the Packers offense. The Bears are 26th in rushing yards surrendered (Packers are 30th) but the Bears are tied for 24th giving up an average of 5.0 ypc (the Packers are 18th at 4.2 ypc). IMO the Bears front seven is worse than those of the three teams the Packers have played so far. CB Peanut Tillman is out for the season which I would think should also help except after watching the third stringers in the Lions DB cover Packers WRs like blankets...

The Packers D will have their hands full but they have gotten better pressure on the QB this season so Cutler may throw up a couple of INTs.

As to the loss of Philbin, IMO it has mostly affected the offensive game plan put in during the week and that obviously is very important. But I don't think he had much input on the OL once he moved to OC and McCarthy has never given up play calling. Campen is an interesting case. As has been posted many times (by me and others), he didn't choose to go to the ZBS and he never played it. For some reason some Packers fans still hold him responsible for it. Once some fans made that determination they seem to hold him responsible for all the problems on the OL but don't give him credit for the O linemen that have developed.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campen is an interesting case. As has been posted many times (by me and others), he didn't choose to go to the ZBS and he never played it. For some reason some Packers fans still hold him responsible for it. Once some fans made that determination they seem to hold him responsible for all the problems on the OL but don't give him credit for the O linemen that have developed.
Yes, we've debated this often. The bottom line (no pun) is that our offensive line remains average at best under his stewardship--now the longest tenured offensive line coach in the history of the Packers. It isn't good enough, regardless of the blocking scheme.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, we've debated this often. The bottom line (no pun) is that our offensive line remains average at best under his stewardship--now the longest tenured offensive line coach in the history of the Packers. It isn't good enough, regardless of the blocking scheme.
And how much of that is due to less than average talent and scheme, which he has no control over? (That's a rhetorical question.) I'm not saying he's a great OL coach, I'm saying too much is beyond his control and we fans aren't privy to how much control he actually has with regard to OL play.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how much of that is due to less than average talent and scheme, which he has no control over? (That's a rhetorical question.) I'm not saying he's a great OL coach, I'm saying too much is beyond his control and we fans aren't privy to how much control he actually has with regard to OL play.
Jack, isn't it easier to replace a coach than a line? After 8 years and multiple players coming through the door we should have had something better than this. Beightol consistently had good lines during his 7 years, developing Wells, Tauscher, Clifton, Ruegamer, Flanagan. Besides Sitton, and possibly Lang (although I think he's overrated), who has become a solid offensive lineman for us in the last 8 years under Campen? If the offensive line coach isn't in control of the play of the offensive line, what is he responsible for? Remember--the man you use for your forum name amassed a group that was 1/10/1 under Scooter, and won 5 Championships under the next coach--who also was an offensive line coach. Good coaching is important.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If it's the scheme or the talent, replacing Campen will do no good. TJV

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`ve got to be honest here and say I`m losing a bit of faith in the golden boys leadership skills at the minute. This is a team game, and all he seems to do is shoot everybody that look of distain, instead of rallying the troops. Just my opinion of course, but its really beginning to tick me off.

I feel the same way, at times. I have no problem with Rodgers getting on his receivers or his offensive team in general when they make mistakes (like in the very first game when the rookie Center snapped the ball when Rodgers wasn't ready). He has to be a leader and some of that involves being critical at times and getting on the guys. That, I am fine with.

But I agree with you that he does give his "look" a whole lot, even when it seems that the play not working out was his fault, not the other player's. Rodgers this season has not been himself. Yes he tends to start out slow (I personally don't find that to be a valid excuse, he is a star QB, he shouldn't have to have 4 weeks to get into the groove) but I have accepted that he usually starts slow. But this season is slower than usual and he has been really bad with some of his passes and yet he still gives that look to his receivers when it was his fault. Or he shakes his fist and starts yelling under his helmet, when once again, the play not working out was on him.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe that people are throwing Aaron Rodgers under the bus already.

Put him on a team with a stout offensive line and more than one WR who can get open and you have an instant ten-win team, even if the defense SUCKS like the Packers used to.

Let's face it, Jordy Nelson is only one man. Love Randall Cobb ONCE YOU GET THE BALL IN HIS HANDS, unfortunately he seems to lack the size and speed necessary to get open. We have no viable replacement for Jermichael Finley.

Hmmmm.....let's see.....no Jermichael Finley, no Greg Jennings, no Donald Driver for Pete's sake and we suddenly SUCK.

Coincidence? I think not.

Just have to keep the faith and hope that Davante Adams, Richard Rodgers and Jarret Boykin mature at some point during the season and start making a difference.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Put him on a team with a stout offensive line and more than one WR who can get open and you have an instant ten-win team, even if the defense SUCKS like the Packers used to.

Let's face it, Jordy Nelson is only one man. Love Randall Cobb ONCE YOU GET THE BALL IN HIS HANDS, unfortunately he seems to lack the size and speed necessary to get open. We have no viable replacement for Jermichael Finley.

Hmmmm.....let's see.....no Jermichael Finley, no Greg Jennings, no Donald Driver for Pete's sake and we suddenly SUCK.

Just have to keep the faith and hope that Davante Adams, Richard Rodgers and Jarret Boykin mature at some point during the season and start making a difference.

It's funny, I knew after my comment there would be people (like you) who made assumptions. By the words in your post you are making it out like I threw Rodgers under the bus for the poor performance of our team. Stop assuming things. I simply agreed with another poster that Rodgers tends to get on other players cases at times for mistakes that Rodgers himself makes. I did say that Rodgers has not been himself this year, and any fan who has watched any game will agree with that, unless you are delusional. Are you?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Cobb lacks size and speed to get open? Go look at his numbers and then go look at his numbers on the field when he has played. Cobb is a stud. He is not the problem.

IMO the problem is this Stupid offense McCarthy is running and Rodgers isn't 100 percent on point as usual. That and they keep shooting themselves in the foot coming out the gate in games.

I

It's funny, I knew after my comment there would be people (like you) who made assumptions. By the words in your post you are making it out like I threw Rodgers under the bus for the poor performance of our team. Stop assuming things. I simply agreed with another poster that Rodgers tends to get on other players cases at times for mistakes that Rodgers himself makes. I did say that Rodgers has not been himself this year, and any fan who has watched any game will agree with that, unless you are delusional. Are you?

And that was exactly my feelings on the subject :tup:. I am a Packer fan, not a Packer player fan. At the moment I am disappointed with Aaron Rodgers attitude, or apparent attitude. I`m still a Packer fan.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What irritated me a little bit is how Rodgers threw the running game under the bus in the press conference. I can't find the exact quote anywhere, but he said something along the lines of "Our offense didn't play well, we couldn't get the running game going." No, the running game never got going, but neither did the passing game. I would have liked to see him take responsibility there. And I agree with the posters who question his constant yelling and glaring at other players when they screw up. It seems like he has been doing it more in recent years than he once did. Maybe he's like Kurt Warner and is a great teammate in the locker room and the yelling on the field doesn't bother teammates, but I suspect it must cause some tension. Even though Jennings' comments were totally out of line last year, it did sound like he had some built up frustration with Rodgers. And Driver didn't exactly jump to Rodgers' defense.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well.....no.

But I suspect you might be a bit paranoid in thinking that I was responding to anything you posted, at all.

OK, maybe I'm wrong about Randall Cobb. I sure hope so, because I love the guy, both as a player and a person.

It's just so frustrating, losing to the Lions with their depleted secondary.

I thought the Packers would kick the Lions ***. :(

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well.....no.

But I suspect you might be a bit paranoid in thinking that I was responding to anything you posted, at all.

OK, maybe I'm wrong about Randall Cobb. I sure hope so, because I love the guy, both as a player and a person.

I know. There starting linebacker was lost and out too. Golden opportunity missed. Defense actually does there part and the offense goes out like that. Unbelievable.

Now the aftermath has people arguing scheme vs execution which is obviously a combination of both but personally I hate McCarthy's scheme on offense and play calling this year and I have always gone along with what he has done. I just can't believe you keep handing the ball off 5-6 yards deep in the backfield to Eddy Lacy over and over again when it has "NO CHANCE".

Yeah adjustments were an issue.

I

Well.....no.

And I think its fair to say that we agree with your frustrations, but we obviously see things slightly different. I suppose I might be expecting too much from him or I view a leader in a different way from the way you see them, and that's fine. I think a leader encourages him team as well as chewing them out, and so far we`ve seen more chewing out, or at least that's how I see it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I, for one, have criticized Rodgers but recognizing he's playing poorly by his standards so far this season does not equal throwing him under the bus. Even with the excuses offered, we've seen Rodgers miss throws he's made in the past. From McGinn's review of the Lions game:
With a potential comeback on the line, he had all day to make a play before throwing low to Nelson on third down. Then, on fourth down, he threw behind Nelson against Levy for a 20-yard TD on a ball he completes maybe 75% of the time.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-the-lions-b99356262z1-276415381.html
Those are just two examples in which Rodgers has no one to blame but himself.

And just a word about Rodgers' attitude. It's my impression that every time he has that look of frustration/disgust on his face, it's not aimed at a teammate. Obviously he's taken teammates to task but it appears to me at times he's frustrated/disgusted with his own performance. BTW, I'd like to know to what degree Rodgers has the ability to audible out of the called play. There must be restrictions (perhaps just based on the personnel on the field or perhaps beyond that) otherwise how could he say they didn't adjust? If he had a different idea about attacking the 2 shell D Detroit was using, why didn't he audible to plays he thought would do that?

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.....no.

I thought the game was going to be close. In the "Packers vs Lions" thread before the game started I predicted 27-24. But I said the winner would be a toss up, I couldn't choose. But I never thought the offense would put up 7 lousy points and would never be able to get going throughout the entire game. The one thing that frustrates me above all else is that this team does not seem to be consistent at all. And not just this season, I'm talking about the last few. This team's offense at times will look unbeatable, and then sometimes in the very same game or next game the offense looks like they aren't prepared at all. The defense has glimpses of being very tough but also sometimes in the same game it will have a complete meltdown.

Why do other teams seem to put together 60 minutes of solid play but the Packers seem to almost never do it?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Actually I think it will get easier against the Bears for the Packers offense. The Bears are 26th in rushing yards surrendered (Packers are 30th) but the Bears are tied for 24th giving up an average of 5.0 ypc (the Packers are 18th at 4.2 ypc). IMO the Bears front seven is worse than those of the three teams the Packers have played so far. CB Peanut Tillman is out for the season which I would think should also help except after watching the third stringers in the Lions DB cover Packers WRs like blankets...

The Packers D will have their hands full but they have gotten better pressure on the QB this season so Cutler may throw up a couple of INTs.

As to the loss of Philbin, IMO it has mostly affected the offensive game plan put in during the week and that obviously is very important. But I don't think he had much input on the OL once he moved to OC and McCarthy has never given up play calling. Campen is an interesting case. As has been posted many times (by me and others), he didn't choose to go to the ZBS and he never played it. For some reason some Packers fans still hold him responsible for it. Once some fans made that determination they seem to hold him responsible for all the problems on the OL but don't give him credit for the O linemen that have developed.

Yeah it will get better the next two weeks against the Bears and the Queens which is great but also builds "false improvement warm and fuzzy" which isn't good because it will lead to another big let down when the team plays a good front seven. Someone needs to send Lacy's Bama tape to McCarthy so he can come out of this "illusionary state" he is in that Lacy is this hand the ball to him deep in the back field and let him create type running back.

Line Lacy up behind Rodgers and smash. Get him going FORWARD. Then you can work in some of that shotgun draw and sweep type stuff that McCarthy seem to just love soooo much. That crap isn't your "bread and butter" in a power running game and Lacy isn't being utilized correctly. Nick Sabin is probably shaking his head. He might even be laughing.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Lacy bears some of the responsibility for going sideways on a couple of plays and certainly for the fumble. Of course the OL does too - it does no good to run into the back of an O lineman. But you're right, both the offense and defense have to improve because to get into the playoffs and then to make a run will require more than succeeding against average to below-average defenses and offenses.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense bent enough to allow the Lions to hold the ball for 40 minutes. A good team would have scored 30 points on us.
Seriously? Did you only watch this game when looking up from your fantasy football website? Our defense did a heck of a job against a pretty good offense. Stafford with Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, tight ends that were supposed to expose our defense, and Reggie Bush didn't get their first touchdown until the middle of the 4th quarter. They piled on some at the end when our defense was starting to wear down, but it was still a good game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Lacy bears some of the responsibility for going sideways on a couple of plays and certainly for the fumble. Of course the OL does too - it does no good to run into the back of an O lineman. But you're right, both the offense and defense have to improve because to get into the playoffs and then to make a run will require more than succeeding against average to below-average defenses and offenses.

Yeah, I just don't like it when McCarthy points the finger at Lacy. It seems like a lot of finger pointing is going on right now. I just think McCarthy needs to give Lacy the best chance to be successful and it's not handing him the ball 5-6 yards deep in the backfield and letting him create things.

If you remember the playoff game against the Niners we were able to run the ball pretty good and it was done lining Lacy up behind Rodgers mostly. Power run. McCarthy is usually pretty good at making adjustments throughout the game and watching it again it appears to me he was quite stubborn with enforcing his game plan. Maybe that's what Rodgers is frustrated about.

Members online

Latest posts