Rodgers press conference

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did any of you see this? I did not see much of it but what I did see, Rodgers said over and over again "we did not make enough adjustments". He said this 4 or 5 times but did not say much of anything else. What the hell does that mean? who didn't make adjustments? The receivers, Rodgers, McCarthy, who? It almost seemed to me like he was doing everything in his power to keep from actually saying did not make the adjustments. I personally believe that there is a growing rift between McCarthy and Rodgers when it comes to play calling for this football team. You can see the two of them at odds with each other on the sideline at times.

Did any of you notice how the second half started out on their first possession? It was great, three straight passes underneath on either out routes, curls or slants that led the two straight first downs. the Packers were suddenly moving the ball with ease but then just as suddenly they inexplicably stopped using those types out routes which are the exact routes you want to use against cover 2 whether cover 2 zone or a cover 2 man. but after those first three passes I basically never saw those type of routes called again? Why? It makes no sense at all.

I could go on for days but the bottom line is there is something not right with this offense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last week it was all roses, no one had one mention of a rift...Now there has to be a rift??

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last week it was all roses, no one had one mention of a rift...Now there has to be a rift??

Sorry, but that's not true at all. People were questioning the play calling last week too. I'm not saying there's a rift, but we don't seem to gel.

The real odd thing is that sometimes in the same game this team will look amazing for a drive and then look completely lost the next. I'm not an expert so I don't know what's happening, but there's no doubt that this team is not running a fluid offense.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's my opinion that complaints about play-calling are largely foolish. The only time it really has any validity is when they do something like run on 3rd and 20. Otherwise, it comes down to execution. If the offense executes the play, no complaints about the play call. If they don't execute, suddenly everyone cries about play-calling. Why? Because some fans are reluctant to criticize the players when it's easier to just tag it on one person.

Last edited:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's my opinion that complaints about play-calling is largely foolish. The only time it really has any validity is when they do something like run on 3rd and 20. Otherwise, it comes down to execution. If the offense executes the play, no complaints about the play call. If they don't execute, suddenly everyone cries about play-calling. Why? Because some fans are reluctant to criticize the players when it's easier to just tag it on one person.

Play calling is key to adjustments. If the players on the field do not dictate a play, then it doesn't work. If you put 2 tight ends on the field that cannot block and the shift goes to an I formation, they still cannot block, and if you put 2 we out and then pass out of a run, you are in a bad alignment vs the defenders.

Same on d. If you put nickel or quarters d out on a run play, you are betting your small players are better than their big players.

Play calling wins more than the players do if you are good at it. Players can overcome play calling only if they are better than the play calling.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How can you say last week was all roses? We were down at one point 21-3 at home. Everybody was complaining. I even said that if the Packers came back to win that a lot of fans would suddenly just overlook our extremely poor performance because we came away with a Win. And it seems like a lot of fans did. Regardless, everyone was complaining last week so I don't see how you say it was all roses. We very well should be 0-3 right now and I kind of wish we were because maybe that is what it would take for some higher up in this organization to start tossing things up and making some changes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How can you say last week was all roses? We were down at one point 21-3 at home. Everybody was complaining. I even said that if the Packers came back to win that a lot of fans would suddenly just overlook our extremely poor performance because we came away with a Win. And it seems like a lot of fans did. Regardless, everyone was complaining last week so I don't see how you say it was all roses. We very well should be 0-3 right now and I kind of wish we were because maybe that is what it would take for some higher up in this organization to start tossing things up and making some changes.

after the game I dont think I saw complaints of a rift

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there you go then, fans constantly saying everything sucks when we lose and magically everything is fine when we win, ignoring obvious weaknesses and problems with this team. That win last week against the Jets did more to worry me about this team than to please me.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes on and on . Week after week, year after year, but hey, don't worry, it's early we'll be fine. It should be painfully obvious that this is a team with problems and not a SB team. But in Green Bay, change is a glacier. So it'll be quite some time before enough people wake up to effect worthwhile change.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Did any of you see this? I did not see much of it but what I did see, Rodgers said over and over again "we did not make enough adjustments". He said this 4 or 5 times but did not say much of anything else. What the hell does that mean? who didn't make adjustments? The receivers, Rodgers, McCarthy, who? It almost seemed to me like he was doing everything in his power to keep from actually saying did not make the adjustments. I personally believe that there is a growing rift between McCarthy and Rodgers when it comes to play calling for this football team. You can see the two of them at odds with each other on the sideline at times.

Did any of you notice how the second half started out on their first possession? It was great, three straight passes underneath on either out routes, curls or slants that led the two straight first downs. the Packers were suddenly moving the ball with ease but then just as suddenly they inexplicably stopped using those types out routes which are the exact routes you want to use against cover 2 whether cover 2 zone or a cover 2 man. but after those first three passes I basically never saw those type of routes called again? Why? It makes no sense at all.

I could go on for days but the bottom line is there is something not right with this offense.
Your right, this offense is not clicking but how does this come down to play calling? Hard to execute a game plan when your O line is being manhandled and your receivers aren't getting separation.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
This completely ignores the fact that positioning and personnel packages impact the opportunity of players to execute. When LB's are covering WR's, sure, you can blame the LB for not executing, but I think most people realize that is more of a coaching issue as LB's should be covering WR's. Some fans just don't like to give any blame to coaches whatsoever, though.
Some fans just don't like to whine.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well I think they need to abandon this "hurry up offense" if the run game is gonna rely on the draw play or the sweep play they keep running over and over from the shotgun. You need to get yards on first down for the tempo to work which they are not right now. Also, I think Lacy's "body of work" is not designed to line up back in the shotgun. He is the type of back that needs a couple steps to get going.

I am not trying to single out just MM as obviously there was execution problems but to continue to run the ball when you are "losing yards" just takes the momentum out of drives. It's like 2nd and 6 and now all the sudden it's 3rd and 9. Just ridiculous.

I am not one to usually hit the panic button too early as I know the season is long but I can't remember the offense starting this badly.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
It goes on and on . Week after week, year after year, but hey, don't worry, it's early we'll be fine. It should be painfully obvious that this is a team with problems and not a SB team. But in Green Bay, change is a glacier. So it'll be quite some time before enough people wake up to effect worthwhile change.
Your absolutely right, Once the fans wake up and quit going to the games we will change from a team that has been in the playoffs 5 consecutive years to a team that doesn't make it at all. That would be fun, bet you've never gone thru an extended period of losing. Calm down, in September nothing is painfully obvious.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is absolutely obvious what is occurring with the offense - MM is being trumped by AR at times, and it is causing the offense to sputter. Get on the same page, children or this team will be 5-11 quicker than you can say Jerry Glanville.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Well I think they need to abandon this "hurry up offense" if the run game is gonna rely on the draw play or the sweep play they keep running over and over from the shotgun. You need to get yards on first down for the tempo to work which they are not right now. Also, I think Lacy's "body of work" is not designed to line up back in the shotgun. He is the type of back that needs a couple steps to get going.

I am not trying to single out just MM as obviously there was execution problems but to continue to run the ball when you are "losing yards" just takes the momentum out of drives. It's like 2nd and 6 and now all the sudden it's 3rd and 9. Just ridiculous.

I am not one to usually hit the panic button too early as I know the season is long but I can't remember the offense starting this badly.
We have played our first 3 games against teams that all have an outstanding front 7. Good to find out your faults in sept then January.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your absolutely right, Once the fans wake up and quit going to the games we will change from a team that has been in the playoffs 5 consecutive years to a team that doesn't make it at all. That would be fun, bet you've never gone thru an extended period of losing. Calm down, in September nothing is painfully obvious.

I've never gone threw an extended period of losing? I was 11- and already a Packer fan- when Lombardi left. So that would be a quarter century - into my late thirties- of extended losing. In short, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
But thanks for the rah rah sis boom bah don't worry it's only September lecture. I'm sure reality will go away by January.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have played our first 3 games against teams that all have an outstanding front 7. Good to find out your faults in sept then January.

So your point is what? We're only expected to be and perform like a top notch team unless we play top notch teams?
Isn't the time to find out your faults- and correct them- in the off season, training camp, and pre season, like the real contenders do?
Or do you just make excuses until October or whenever and 'hope' for the best?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Were not Philly. We don't have Shady

Yes, The Jets and the Lions are both currently ranked top 5 total defense's. Seattle isn't far behind. Last year we moved the ball early in the year on SF, Baltimore, Detroit, Cincinnati early on. All really good defenses when we played them.

I hope MM has found that were not Philly. We don't have a "Shady McCoy" or "Sproles" to gash defenses in space in this "hurry up offense". IMO there are personnel concerns. Let's just say I am not as excited as I was about this "75 play" offense we were supposed to see this year.

I think we will turn it around but I am pissed we are 1-2 as we need home field advantage.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"we did not make enough adjustments".
Means, "We won't bother throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down even though other teams are catching on that we are going to run it on 1st and 2nd down and they will stop us.
We will keep on doing what we are doing because that is the only way we think will work.

They need to make adjustments to win. To throw on 1st and 2nd downs to open up the run.

Last edited:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
So your point is what? We're only expected to be and perform like a top notch team unless we play top notch teams?
Isn't the time to find out your faults- and correct them- in the off season, training camp, and pre season, like the real contenders do?
Or do you just make excuses until October or whenever and 'hope' for the best?
This is the Freeking NFL not a video game. Things have never been or never will be perfect, there is an ebb and flow. Injuries can change things on a dime, Teams can play above or below their talent. You just have to ride it out, you can't change anything now. Your really missing out on the fun part of this game. It's all about overcoming adversity.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The safety shows you all you need to know about our offensive line. The defense bent enough to allow the Lions to hold the ball for 40 minutes. A good team would have scored 30 points on us. It's going to be a loooooooong season unless MM "cleans things up." He did it before in 2010 after another putrid Lions loss. Who knows?

D

Deleted member 6794

The safety shows you all you need to know about our offensive line.

I think the safety comes down to a really bad play call. According to T.J. Lang Rodgers changed the play at the LOS and had the guards pulling to the right, which is an odd call on the 1-yard line. Richard Rodgers was moved back way too easily, resulting in Lacy running into him.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the safety comes down to a really bad play call. According to T.J. Lang Rodgers changed the play at the LOS and had the guards pulling to the right, which is an odd call on the 1-yard line. Richard Rodgers was moved back way too easily, resulting in Lacy running into him.

Yes, that would be an odd call. But it looked to me that being overwhelmed on the LOS was the rule of the day for our offense. There wasn't a running play that would have worked with the way we were being manhandled.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last year in Detroit, they called a play action on their own goal line. The result was a safety. Play call doesn't matter if the execution is awful.

Members online

Latest posts