Rodgers: Players are letting staff down

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers: Players are letting staff down

GREEN BAY — Aaron Rodgers has heard all the criticism of the Green Bay Packers’ brain trust amid the team’s less-than-stellar 4-4 start. Fans have been calling for the firings of coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson in the wake of the Packers’ surprising loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last Sunday — if they weren’t already after Green Bay lost twice to the Brett Favre-led Minnesota Vikings.
Rodgers isn’t buying it.

“Honestly, I think it’s a convenient criticism there,” he said. “But this team believes in our leaders and believes in Ted and Mike and (defensive coordinator Dom Capers) and (offensive coordinator) Joe Philbin and (special teams coordinator) Shawn Slocum. I think if you ask those special teams guys, I think it’d be they’re disappointed in the way they’ve played. If you ask the offense, we’re not pointing fingers at Mike or Joe.

We’re disappointed in the way we’ve executed. If you ask the defense, I think it’s the same thing. They’re not pointing fingers at Dom. They need to play better.

“So I think it’s a convenient criticism … to blame a coach, in my opinion. I think we as players need to play better.”

They’ll need to do it soon if the Packers plan on having any real shot of making the playoffs. They enter Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field just one game back of Atlanta and Philadelphia, the two teams that would receive the NFC’s wild card berths if the season ended right now.

But Green Bay is three games back of first-place Minnesota in the NFC North and the second half of its schedule appears more difficult than the first half. So, make no mistake, a win over the 6-2 Cowboys would be a pivotal one.

“Believe me, we know the importance of it,” defensive end Cullen Jenkins said. “We’re not at all trying to downplay the situation. We’re 4-4 right now. It’s not where we expected we would be or where we wanted to be, but it’s where we’re at. It’s still very possible to turn this thing around.”
Rodgers was asked whether the Dallas game was a “must win.”

“I consider World War II a must win,” he said. “I don’t use the word ‘must win,’ but it’s an important game for us. We’re 4-4, we know what’s in front of us, and we need a win.”

To do that, they’ll need Rodgers to play better than he did against Tampa Bay.

He completed just 17 of 35 passes — the 48.6 completion percentage was the worst of his career as a starter — and threw three interceptions, tying his career high. His 57.6 quarterback rating was his second-worst since taking over as Green Bay’s starter — he had a 55.9 mark last year against the Buccaneers.

He has taken heat for not coping better with the near-constant pressure he’s been under this season, and Sunday’s loss dropped his record as a starter to 10-14.

“We’re 4-4. I didn’t play well last week,” Rodgers said. “So any criticism thrown my way is probably due. So you just deal with it. It comes with the territory.”

That criticism might dry up if the Packers can string together a few wins.
After the Dallas game, Green Bay hosts San Francisco before playing in Detroit on Thanksgiving. It’s a stretch of three games in 12 days that could very well shape the direction of their season.

The Cowboys began the season 2-2 before reeling off four straight wins. A similar streak might lift the doldrums surrounding the Packers.
“We really want to win the game this week.

There’s no question about that,” McCarthy said. “We approach every game the same way. November football is definitely, the importance and urgency has to increase. I think that’s natural, something we talk about as a football team.

“Our message is very clear: The head coach has to coach better, the coaches have to coach better, the players have to play better, and we have to win games. That’s our focus. We’re going to apply all of our energy into this Dallas game plan. ... We’re going to pour everything that we have into winning at home against the Cowboys. That’s our focus.”

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though Rodgers is admitting that the players are as much to blame as the coaches for their bad start, his tone of voice is till a little too conservative. Instead of not comparing next week's game to WWII Rodgers should just blatantly say "yeah we NEED to win this game or else." I'm tired of this "forget last sunday's game and move on" mentality because it's pretty much saying that you start from scratch every week which clearly is not the case with the packers. WATCH the film, LEARN from what you did wrong, let last week SIZZLE in your head, and MOTIVATE yourself so you do better next game.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though Rodgers is admitting that the players are as much to blame as the coaches for their bad start, his tone of voice is till a little too conservative. Instead of not comparing next week's game to WWII Rodgers should just blatantly say "yeah we NEED to win this game or else." I'm tired of this "forget last sunday's game and move on" mentality because it's pretty much saying that you start from scratch every week which clearly is not the case with the packers. WATCH the film, LEARN from what you did wrong, let last week SIZZLE in your head, and MOTIVATE yourself so you do better next game.

Yeah, but think about it...it's a little bit like talking about your boss only to discover that he is right behind you. You can't just really talk all the smack you want about him. I agree with the motivation part of your comment, he needs to step it up to the next level.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A-rod uses the word "probably". Until all 53 players and coaches change that word, we will see the same outcome.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone looking forward to this weekend's game?

I want to see if they can bounce back from this loss. There is a small glimmer of hope left but let's hope it doesn't get crushed.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't put too much into a potential loss to Dallas at this point ...

Granted, if the Packers win, it will be great, but even if Packers lose, I think everyone has to see the games in the context they are played within ...

If the Packers were to face a similar opponent like the Buccaneers, I would agree, however, a loss to Dallas at this point given the current situation wouldn't be catastrophic ... - Dallas *seems* to have been hitting a stride lately and thus will (most likely) prove to be a tough, yet beatable oppponent, given it's at Lambeau ...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A-rod uses the word "probably". Until all 53 players and coaches change that word, we will see the same outcome.

Have you watched any of the post-game interviews from these recent losses? The players sound EXACTLY like MM - "gotta watch the film" & "need to get that fixed" or "we're 4-4, we've got 8 games left to turn it around". Darryn Colledge even admits he's aware he (& perhaps others) sounds like a broken record. For you under 25s that's an idiom meaning repeating oneself ad nauseum, not Ahman Green's latest accomplishment.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I watch the post-game interviews with McCarthy and what is SEE is Ray Rhodes chewing on his gum... "Yeah, well have to fix that......"

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea lets get ready for the blame game ... this is where MM excells ,, in the last flop of a season i just love how MM was blaming everyone ... now they start with the propaganda ... they get thier golden boy Rodgers to point the finger at the other players ... IMO this isnt good for team moral ... and while rodgers points the finger at the the other players ,, i wonder if he even thinks about how he holds that ball like an easter basket and takes sac after sac ... IMO there is olny two people to blame for this team that being MM and TT .... at the end of the day it was TTs bad choices and MMs bad coaching that have led us to where we are ... so IMO MMs motto ,,, remember kids is easyier to point the finger the other way ... and thats all he has shown me ... MM is not a leader ,, he is a poptart soft in the middle ... :happy0005: ohh and MM you may have fooled some but I UNDERSTAND ...

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yea lets get ready for the blame game ... this is where MM excells ,, in the last flop of a season i just love how MM was blaming everyone ... now they start with the propaganda ... they get thier golden boy Rodgers to point the finger at the other players ... IMO this isnt good for team moral ... and while rodgers points the finger at the the other players ,, i wonder if he even thinks about how he holds that ball like an easter basket and takes sac after sac ... IMO there is olny two people to blame for this team that being MM and TT .... at the end of the day it was TTs bad choices and MMs bad coaching that have led us to where we are ... so IMO MMs motto ,,, remember kids is easyier to point the finger the other way ... and thats all he has shown me ... MM is not a leader ,, he is a poptart soft in the middle ... :happy0005: ohh and MM you may have fooled some but I UNDERSTAND ...

I take it you havent seen this yet?

http://www.packerforum.com/packer-fan-forum/17987-players-speak-frankly-what-ailing-packers.html

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in: Rodgers holds the ball way too long and needs to learn that if you O-Line is awful you need to compensate.

Members online

Latest posts