Rodgers played with indent fracture and MCL

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played every game for the record. Give me a break and you are right, I have only been watching the Packers since '66 so how would I ever venture an opinion. Maybe you could explain to me why he played that game since you are a friend of the family.

Looks like we may have another one folks.

You have your opinion on why he played that game others have their opinion. Unless you can point to some article where Favre said he played for the streak I don't see any reason to more credence in your opinion than someone elses.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** that, I took my fingertips off making sauerkraut on a mandolin, wrapped them up and finished making my batch. Why? Because I like kraut on my burgers and brats that's why. And when I was just graduated high school I shot a 12 penny coil nail thru my pointer and middle finger on my left hand nailing in a garage header. Took the thing out, gooped the hell out of it with neosporin because it's all we had in the truck and finished framing the garage. Mostly because my dad said so. We al have our motivations :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** that, I took my fingertips off making sauerkraut on a mandolin, wrapped them up and finished making my batch. Why? Because I like kraut on my burgers and brats that's why. And when I was just graduated high school I shot a 12 penny coil nail thru my pointer and middle finger on my left hand nailing in a garage header. Took the thing out, gooped the hell out of it with neosporin because it's all we had in the truck and finished framing the garage. Mostly because my dad said so. We al have our motivations :)

There you go bringing up the kraut again. Never had it on a burger but I love lots of pickles so it might be worth a try.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have your opinion on why he played that game others have their opinion. Unless you can point to some article where Favre said he played for the streak I don't see any reason to more credence in your opinion than someone elses.[/QUOTE]
When it comes to Favre, you bet I have problem with him. The Vikings? "best team I ever played on"? Talks out of both sides of his mouth and neither side makes any sense. He is the very definition of B.S. He won one ring and with a much better team. How does he question what Rodgers and McCarthy did?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that Rodgers played the season with indent fracture of tibia and MCL sprain. This might explain his play this year. From Packers Wire: " Dr. Schuett (orthopedic surgeon) described Rodgers’ injury as a “very significant injury” that undoubtedly affected his ability to play the quarterback position at a high level in 2018." Is this old news? I hadn't heard that before.
It’s news to me. I was pretty sure about the MCL sprain, and that’s bad enough. Didn’t know about the fracture. Would definitely have changed his game, yet he still threw for 4400 plus yards, 25 TDS, 2 INTs. Not bad for an old guy! Really, gotta give him some credit, for playing through it, and not griping.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have your opinion on why he played that game others have their opinion. Unless you can point to some article where Favre said he played for the streak I don't see any reason to more credence in your opinion than someone elses.
When it comes to Favre, you bet I have problem with him. The Vikings? "best team I ever played on"? Talks out of both sides of his mouth and neither side makes any sense. He is the very definition of B.S. He won one ring and with a much better team. How does he question what Rodgers and McCarthy did?[/QUOTE]
When it comes to winning and losing BIG games, Favre certainly wasn’t the GOAT. To his credit, he played a LOT hurt. But he ruined his relationship with GB fans with his mouth, not his arm or grit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You misunderstood me. Of course it was okay for Favre to play injured. His whole career was based on that. If you don't think that Favre playing the night his dad died was about anything but the consecutive games record, then you didn't pay much attention. Rodgers whole career is about having the same toughness as Favre and everybody knows that. For Favre to say that McCarthy and Rodgers should have won more superbowls is really funny. How many should you have won Brett? At the very least 2 but let me refresh your memory. Packers let Denver score late in the game to get the ball back expecting Favre to lead them to victory. What followed was the most inconsequential 3 and out in the history of the superbowl. Hoorah.
Good memory. And in his one SB win, he wasn’t the MVP. Look, he gave us a lot of great years, which he tarnished with his big mouth.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre played with a bad knee(or broken thumb can't remember lol) the night after his dad died in an era that DID NOT protect quarterbacks...

To compare the toughness of the two is a complete joke
He played that game with a broken heart. I have my issues with Favre. The game in Oakland isn’t one of them. Gutsy.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
When it comes to Favre, you bet I have problem with him. The Vikings? "best team I ever played on"? Talks out of both sides of his mouth and neither side makes any sense. He is the very definition of B.S. He won one ring and with a much better team. How does he question what Rodgers and McCarthy did?
This point I most certainly agree with. Favre has no business talking about what the Packers should have done under McCarthy/Rodgers. He had plenty of chances to win more Super Bowls than one, he was just too busy throwing game clinching interceptions for the opposing team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like we may have another one folks.

Brett has mentioned that the streak was very important . I'll have to dig it up.

He didn't say it was the only reason for playing, just was important

http://m.startribune.com/luck-pain-tolerance-goes-into-nfl-ironman-streaks/320706161/

MANKATO – Brett Favre didn’t struggle when asked via e-mail recently to pick the one statistic he treasures most from the colossal stack of accomplishments he built through the course of a 20-season NFL career.

“Consecutive starts by far means the most,” Favre said. “Without it, the others never would have happened.”

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This point I most certainly agree with. Favre has no business talking about what the Packers should have done under McCarthy/Rodgers. He had plenty of chances to win more Super Bowls than one, he was just too busy throwing game clinching interceptions for the opposing team.

Why does he have any less business talking about it than anyone else. Lots of people say the Packers under McCarthy/Rodgers should have more than one Super Bowl. Do they have no business talking about it. I'm sure McCarthy would agree and I'm sure Rodgers would agree. I'm sure Favre thinks he should have more than one SB as well.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett has mentioned that the streak was very important . I'll have to dig it up.

He didn't say it was the only reason for playing, just was important

http://m.startribune.com/luck-pain-tolerance-goes-into-nfl-ironman-streaks/320706161/

He made that comment after his career was over though. I'm sure after 20 years having played in that many consecutive games is an accomplishment anyone would be proud of and rightly so. As he was building the steak however it may have been less important. As it grew it may have taken on more significance like putting out the side in the 8th and 9th innings seems more important than doing it in the 2nd and 3rd, or bowling your 11th and 12th consecutive strike seems more important than your 3rd and 4th even though the later ones wouldn't mean a thing if the earlier ones wouldn't have happened.

I'm sure every player wants to start every game and I have no problem with that. If a player is injured and him starting would put the team at a disadvantage its up to the coaches to sit him. I don't expect a player who is a leader and and competitor to voluntarily step down unless it is super obvious but if the player is a leader and a competitor I wouldn't expect there to be many super obvious circumstances in his opinion. I'm sure as the streak grew it was on his mind but I doubt Favre ever thought he was hurting his team by starting just to keep it going.

The thing is Favre never had any token starts to keep the streak going. Playing a series or even a few snaps then bowing out. I've heard of that happening just to keep streaks alive but if Favre started it was with the intention of playing the entire game.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does he have any less business talking about it than anyone else. Lots of people say the Packers under McCarthy/Rodgers should have more than one Super Bowl. Do they have no business talking about it. I'm sure McCarthy would agree and I'm sure Rodgers would agree. I'm sure Favre thinks he should have more than one SB as well.

Always dangerous to speak for others, but I took the comment as being in the pot/kettle category - sure, Bart is free to talk about whatever, but his comments need to be taken in a different context. Also, as to the last sentence, has he ever acknowledged that?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously in the minority here, so won't push it, but if playing pro football isn't a risk of further damage, then it wasn't all that big a deal to begin with. Didn't read any of the article, but words like 'fracture' and 'MCL' are enough for me to think that risking ANY additional damage (which would affect his ability to be as competitive the following year) just because he wants to play is not a really smart move. Also reinforces the semantics and relativity of discussions - I understand a Willis Reed kind of moment, but...

Perhaps this is another reason why McCarthy and most of the other offensive coaches were sent packing. Of course I'm just speculating here...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, every play is an opportunity for further damage even for things you don't know about. You're running down the sidelines top speed one play and the next you jump up for a pass and land untouched and blow out your knee. Every single play presents a season or career ending opportunity, it's football.

But if he could play with it in week 2, he can play with it in week 17

Yes, but why did he play against Detroit after we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? What good would that have been?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but why did he play against Detroit after we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? What good would that have been?
I'd never invite a losers mentality into the locker room. They're paid to play football. There's an entire team to think about. Not one guy. I've been thru the details plenty, but anybody able to play, probably prepare and then play like it matters.

Perhaps this is another reason why McCarthy and most of the other offensive coaches were sent packing. Of course I'm just speculating here...
Probably the fact they missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and with an arrow trending downwards and unrest growing in the locker room they were faced with a must win game against a struggling team. A team they should have beat and they laid a giant egg. I'd bet that had more to do with it.

Members online

Latest posts