Rodgers played with indent fracture and MCL

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that Rodgers played the season with indent fracture of tibia and MCL sprain. This might explain his play this year. From Packers Wire: " Dr. Schuett (orthopedic surgeon) described Rodgers’ injury as a “very significant injury” that undoubtedly affected his ability to play the quarterback position at a high level in 2018." Is this old news? I hadn't heard that before.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just read that Rodgers played the season with indent fracture of tibia and MCL sprain. This might explain his play this year. From Packers Wire: " Dr. Schuett (orthopedic surgeon) described Rodgers’ injury as a “very significant injury” that undoubtedly affected his ability to play the quarterback position at a high level in 2018." Is this old news? I hadn't heard that before.

Rodgers talked about suffering the injury during an interview with ESPN Wisconsin this week.

Tough guy and it definitely explains him struggling at times during last season.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He did not look like his old self last season.....Whether it was due to the lingering injury, or inexperienced receivers, or frustration, etc. is a matter of speculation.

Perhaps Packer Nation can look forward to some of that old Rodgers magic this year......Time will tell.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a competitor and if playing didn't increase the risk of further damage there was no reason to hold him out of games.
Exactly, competitors play to compete. They don't play just when they're healthy. They don't play only when things are in their favor. They don't plaly to avoid injury. They don't play only when it "means something" because to them, every chance to go out and compete and prove something to themselves it what drives them.

They don't have the mentality of "oh well, all is lost, might as well sit out" he's a team player, team leader and could play. No reason not to let him unless you want to invite a losers mentality to the locker room.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously in the minority here, so won't push it, but if playing pro football isn't a risk of further damage, then it wasn't all that big a deal to begin with. Didn't read any of the article, but words like 'fracture' and 'MCL' are enough for me to think that risking ANY additional damage (which would affect his ability to be as competitive the following year) just because he wants to play is not a really smart move. Also reinforces the semantics and relativity of discussions - I understand a Willis Reed kind of moment, but...

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously in the minority here, so won't push it, but if playing pro football isn't a risk of further damage, then it wasn't all that big a deal to begin with. Didn't read any of the article, but words like 'fracture' and 'MCL' are enough for me to think that risking ANY additional damage (which would affect his ability to be as competitive the following year) just because he wants to play is not a really smart move. Also reinforces the semantics and relativity of discussions - I understand a Willis Reed kind of moment, but...

In my opinion that injury was a pretty big deal. As Rodgers was able to play the entire season with it there was no reason to rest him at the end of it though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, every play is an opportunity for further damage even for things you don't know about. You're running down the sidelines top speed one play and the next you jump up for a pass and land untouched and blow out your knee. Every single play presents a season or career ending opportunity, it's football.

But if he could play with it in week 2, he can play with it in week 17

H

HardRightEdge

The MCL sprain was reported; the fracture was not.

Does anybody need to be told the injury was significant and affected his ability to play at a high level? Check that. He did play at a high level, just not the elite level to which we are accustomed.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since most Packer fans will forever judge Rodgers on the Favre scale (play with pain and injury whether it hurts the team or not) Rodgers will play every snap possible. Only problem is he won't be considered a warrior because that distinction is reserved for farting, belching funny boys that "just have fun". Still won't stop the hate.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there was speculation on Green Bay/Milwaukee radio yesterday about if/how the normally conservative Packers team doctor, dr. mckenzie, would/could clear rodgers to play with a leg fracture.
i googled the injury description when i heard it. some of the x-rays are terrible...others you can't even see it. his must have been the latter. a second, identical, shot on that leg could have made it much worse.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tib...p8jhAhUNeKwKHSCxDvsQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=881

Last edited:

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Since most Packer fans will forever judge Rodgers on the Favre scale (play with pain and injury whether it hurts the team or not) Rodgers will play every snap possible. Only problem is he won't be considered a warrior because that distinction is reserved for farting, belching funny boys that "just have fun". Still won't stop the hate.

I’m curious ... it wasnt ok for Favre to play through injuries, but ok when its Rodgers ? Rodgers playing with that injury didnt exactly help The Pack ... Not to mention Favre played most of his career in “another” Time, were The mindset Towards injuries were alot different than now ...

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m curious ... it wasnt ok for Favre to play through injuries, but ok when its Rodgers ? Rodgers playing with that injury didnt exactly help The Pack ... Not to mention Favre played most of his career in “another” Time, were The mindset Towards injuries were alot different than now ...

Rodgers was still a better option than Kizer or Boyle while being hampered by the injury. The same was true for most of Favre's career as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there was speculation on Green Bay/Milwaukee radio yesterday about if/how the normally conservative Packers team doctor, dr. mckenzie, would/could clear rodgers to play with a leg fracture.
i googled the injury description when i heard it. some of the x-rays are terrible...others you can't even see it. his must have been the latter. a second, identical, shot on that leg could have made it much worse.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tib...p8jhAhUNeKwKHSCxDvsQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=881
I'm pretty positive it wouldn't have been the former. Some of those plateau fx's you can displace a large chunk of bone. that's unstable and would never be allowed to play on. It would have been surgery. The fx was probably just a defect in the cortical bone on the top of the tibia causing a weak spot, but i doubt the fx traveled down the length of the shaft or anywhere else. It's like the "broken back" some players have had. You can have fx's in certain parts of lumbar vertebra and the surrounding musclulature and such keeps it stable and safe. Hurts like crazy, but you can still play with it. Move that same fx to another part of the bone or move it over a little bit and suddenly it's unstable and they're out. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell though and would explain some of the uncharacterstic throws we saw him make last year. His consistency was off, but that happens when you don't have a stable platform to throw from for an entire season.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre played with a bad knee(or broken thumb can't remember lol) the night after his dad died in an era that DID NOT protect quarterbacks...

To compare the toughness of the two is a complete joke

D

Deleted member 6794

Favre played with a bad knee(or broken thumb can't remember lol) the night after his dad died in an era that DID NOT protect quarterbacks...

There's no point in comparing Favre to Rodgers in that regard as both found themselves in different situations.

Rodgers has proven to be a tough guy as well though.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From what I have heard there would be no doubt Rodgers would play if his dad died. Crude and insensitive I know. Sorry.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You misunderstood me. Of course it was okay for Favre to play injured. His whole career was based on that. If you don't think that Favre playing the night his dad died was about anything but the consecutive games record, then you didn't pay much attention. Rodgers whole career is about having the same toughness as Favre and everybody knows that. For Favre to say that McCarthy and Rodgers should have won more superbowls is really funny. How many should you have won Brett? At the very least 2 but let me refresh your memory. Packers let Denver score late in the game to get the ball back expecting Favre to lead them to victory. What followed was the most inconsequential 3 and out in the history of the superbowl. Hoorah.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
You misunderstood me. Of course it was okay for Favre to play injured. His whole career was based on that. If you don't think that Favre playing the night his dad died was about anything but the consecutive games record, then you didn't pay much attention. Rodgers whole career is about having the same toughness as Favre and everybody knows that. For Favre to say that McCarthy and Rodgers should have won more superbowls is really funny. How many should you have won Brett? At the very least 2 but let me refresh your memory. Packers let Denver score late in the game to get the ball back expecting Favre to lead them to victory. What followed was the most inconsequential 3 and out in the history of the superbowl. Hoorah.

Favre didnt play The Oakland game because of The consecutive streak record ... You must not have been watching The Packers for long ... - If you knew anything about Favre and “Big Irv”, you would know why he played ...

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played every game for the record. Give me a break and you are right, I have only been watching the Packers since '66 so how would I ever venture an opinion. Maybe you could explain to me why he played that game since you are a friend of the family.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
He played every game for the record. Give me a break and you are right, I have only been watching the Packers since '66 so how would I ever venture an opinion. Maybe you could explain to me why he played that game since you are a friend of the family.

If you’ve been watching since ‘66 ... clearly it hasnt been The Packers ... Lol

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this the twilight zone? You have been watching too much pro clogging there in Denmark. The logo on the left should explain everything.

Members online

Latest posts